Rude people at International Cafe. Help us Princess!

Loreni

Entirely different situation. People who go to Starbucks have not already paid to be there.

Not my analogy. Anyway, it isn't a matter of what you can get away with, it's a matter of what is considerate of others. I will never believe that occupying a table at a cafe to play cards and drink from a thermos for hours is considerate behavior and if Princess really wants to monitize their venues (and I assume they do), I hope a hostess appears soon.

By the way, we have sat in various shared space areas (like the Wheelhouse Bar) and played games with family and friends. We don't have tables like that in our cabins so we must meet in public areas. We wouldn't have sat down if it was full with a show but that doesn't mean while we were there that an event couldn't start.

We get to the Wheelhouse around 2:30 PM to get a seat for Happy Hour. We've learned from past experience that if we don't get there people come in and save seats for people who may or may not show up. Others do the same and get their "mandatory" chair before others do. It's first come first served.

If Princess feels it is a problem, they will change the signage to indicate that "these tables are for those guests consuming food or beverages." No, I wouldn't be rude enough to occupy a table all day, but I see nothing that indicated this to be other than an area open to all who paid to be on the ship.

On one cruise, the cruise director came and sat down in this area. He invited several of us to join him, and there ensued a lively discussion for probably an hour. We basically moved our chairs to the area surrounding "his" table. In most cases, this left tables with either one or 3 chairs that were then occupied by other cruisers. The CD bought 2 cans of coke during this time, most of the rest of us purchased nothing but were already eating or drinking something when the discussion started.

OK, it wasn't all day...but it was at least an hour. If this wasn't an area where such "space hogging" was appropriate, surely the CD would have not started it. The discussion ended when he basically thanked us for a lovely conversation and said that he needed to get back to work...at which point we returned our chairs to their original places and left the area.

On other occasions, I've enjoyed meeting another cruiser when I offered the spare chair at "my" table when the area was full.

I guess I don't see it. If there is a chair, you can sit in it. If all chairs are occupied, you take your munchies elsewhere. Until Princess decides that this is not an area for "hanging out," I don't have the right to make that decision. I WOULD have an issue if people were placing items at tables or chairs when their bodies were not there.

You/I have paid for the entertainment by purchasing passage on the ship...not by consuming free or paid munchies in this area.

I do not go to the IC, nor do I sit at a table all day.

I do however defend their right to do it.

It is the atrium ,the hub of the ship.

When they booked their cruise were they told they could not do this?

Just because you paid extra for a snack ,it does not come with a table.

If this was the case you would not be able to order from the IC, until you were seated.

Reader

If Princess feels it is a problem' date=' they will change the signage to indicate that "these tables are for those guests consuming food or beverages." No, I wouldn't be rude enough to occupy a table all day, but I see nothing that indicated this to be other than an area open to all who paid to be on the ship.

On one cruise, the cruise director came and sat down in this area. He invited several of us to join him, and there ensued a lively discussion for probably an hour. We basically moved our chairs to the area surrounding "his" table. In most cases, this left tables with either one or 3 chairs that were then occupied by other cruisers. The CD bought 2 cans of coke during this time, most of the rest of us purchased nothing but were already eating or drinking something when the discussion started.

OK, it wasn't all day...but it was at least an hour. If this wasn't an area where such "space hogging" was appropriate, surely the CD would have not started it. The discussion ended when he basically thanked us for a lovely conversation and said that he needed to get back to work...at which point we returned our chairs to their original places and left the area.

On other occasions, I've enjoyed meeting another cruiser when I offered the spare chair at "my" table when the area was full.

I guess I don't see it. If there is a chair, you can sit in it. If all chairs are occupied, you take your munchies elsewhere. Until Princess decides that this is not an area for "hanging out," I don't have the right to make that decision. I WOULD have an issue if people were placing items at tables or chairs when their bodies were not there.

You/I have paid for the entertainment by purchasing passage on the ship...not by consuming free or paid munchies in this area.[/quote']

Posting at the same time,You said that sooooooooo much better:D

Edited by Reader0108598

It's too bad that no one here can resolve your issue.

What was the response from Princess when you brought your issue to their attention ?

To my way of thinking it's their ship. If they are comfortable with how the facilities are utilized, then the O.P. has a choice, either suck it up, or move to another cruise line.

If the O.P. hasn't discussed the matter with Princess then it is really a non issue because no one other than Princess can develop, implement and enforce a policy.

My personal opinion is that if the worst thing that happens to me in a day is that I can't find a seat at the I.C. well then I've had a pretty good day.

I like to have tea or coffee at the IC and I am more than willing to try the for-a-fee Norman Love treats. But I need a place to sit. On my last cruise many people camped out for hours between breakfast and lunch at the IC (I mean specifically at the IC tables) even when many people were milling around with their coffees and food looking for a place to sit.

And what were these "campers" doing? Playing cards. For hours. Continued this obnoxious behavior for 28 days. Did they even order one cup of coffee? No. Maybe they think they are sticking it to Princess by having access to the entertainment in the piazza without paying a dime. Some had even brought thermoses with them. They are also hurting their fellow cruisers. Princess had opened up the beautiful Crown Grill as a game room. Why didn't they go there? No free entertainment, I guess.

I am willing to pay for quality coffee and tea and treats, but I won't eat them standing. So I sat right next to one of the campers who was on the padded bench across from her husband seated in a chair. I came very close to simply putting my coffee and plate on the edge of their "card table," but didn't want to start the first day of a long cruise this way. Princess needs a hostess to seat people here, I think. Or get rid of the entertainment. It is obviously intended to reward patrons of the IC, but this is not what is happening. Instead, due to rude selfish people, it is driving people who are willing to pay away from the venue.

You/I have paid for the entertainment by purchasing passage on the ship...not by consuming free or paid munchies in this area.

If you were on my cruise, you'd be enjoying the entertainment standing up, because the card-playing campers wouldn't be moving for either of us.

The more you comment the less I have respect for you. You are now starting to sound like a Whiner with a capital W. Look, everyone wants a place to sit. I agree people should not occupy a seat all day every day BUT they paid their cruise fare as well. I can't imagine going on a cruise and spending all my time inside playing cards but to each his own.

I, for one, have sat at the bar next to the IC for many hours. Yes, even while people were waiting for a seat. Did I move because they looked tired or in need of alcohol or specialty coffee drinks? No. Why should I? I was enjoying my drink.

Getting rid of the entertainment in the Atrium is just stupid. As others have said it is meant to bring people together and often you will see people stacked several decks up watching it. I know I have walked by and stopped for a moment or two. If you think the chair hoggers are selfish well then paint yourself selfish. Your desire to find a chair right there inches from the IC counter does not trump hundreds and hundreds that enjoy the atrium entertainment.

By the way, we have sat in various shared space areas (like the Wheelhouse Bar) and played games with family and friends. We don't have tables like that in our cabins so we must meet in public areas. We wouldn't have sat down if it was full with a show but that doesn't mean while we were there that an event couldn't start.

I seem to remember that the original concept for the Piazza was this wide open space to enjoy the variety acts, enjoy the goodies at the IC or Vines. Not necessarily both.

So far I've only been on one ship (but twice) with an IC. Not a lot of tables in the grand atrium and often one has to sit on one of the planters. that's on the Golden. Usually I'll grab a treat at the IC and go to a trivia match in the Explorers or wherever, or my cabin, or someplace else.

Usually if I'm eating alone for lunch in the HC, I'll have a puzzle magazine or paperback book. But once I'm done with my meal, I'm off. And I do welcome other passengers to share my table if they are looking around for seats.

I don't recall seeing any signage that would indicate the tables were for IC patrons only. Maybe if enough people complain about the card players, a notice could be inserted in the Patter with a plea not to take up tables in the Piazza or the HC during peak times "out of consideration for diners." But it doesn't mean the players will honor that. Maybe there could be a direction to a better place for the games -- Skywalkers for the ships that have this, etc. It could be these people are so involved in their game of Scrabble or gin rummy that they don't realize people are having a problem finding seats.

But what if that wasn't an option. What if the choice is either: 1) sit and enjoy your tea without entertainment or 2) stand with your tea and watch the entertainment. These were my choices and the choices of many others on my cruise.

On my cruise, tables were not available because MANY people took them for cards. There was a lovely alternative provided to them for cards...the Crown Grill. I assume they rejected this because there was no entertainment provided there. Maybe this was a fluke because it was a long cruise. I don't know. Still the behavior I witnessed was just stunning.

So all those playing cards would have to do is have one of them get something from the IC and set in on their table while they play cards and that would satisfy you? After all they are now partaking of the items from the IC. The entire area is for any and all uses. I often go there sit and read a book while listen to the entertainment. According to you I should not be allowed to do this. To bad as Princess has other ideas on the use of this area. Why not find a place to eat BEFORE getting your food like many others do. After all they have many other cruisers who also think they know how these areas can be used. Please make sure you get plenty of cheese and crackers to go with the whine.

Edited by Potstech

If you were on my cruise, you'd be enjoying the entertainment standing up, because the card-playing campers wouldn't be moving for either of us.

Different people go on cruises for different reasons. I love the ports /beach.

They may love look forward to, playing cards in the atrium ,listening to entertainment all day.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

So all those playing cards would have to do is have one of them get something from the IC and set in on their table while they play cards and that would satisfy you? After all they are now partaking of the items from the IC. The entire area is for any and all uses. I often go there sit and read a book while listen to the entertainment. According to you I should not be allowed to do this. To bad as Princesx has other ideas on the use of this area. Why not find a place to eat BEFORE getting your food like many othets do.

If everybody did as the campers do, you would not be able to sit!

The area cannot be for "any and all" if campers take it over for cards. Other venues are available to them for cards.

If everybody did as the campers do, there wouldn't be any reason for the IC to even exist, because nobody who is actually using the IC to get drinks or snacks would have a place to sit. Most people do not behave like the campers, but are instead considerate of others, therefore Princess is able to monitize the IC by selling coffee, tea, and drinks. On some cruises, there are only a few campers and they are just an annoyance. On other cruises, like mine, there are enough campers to undermine the function of the IC and the enjoyment of many.

And it doesn't need to be this way. Nobody wins except a few card players. And your cruise price will go up, if Princess can not monitize the venue. Do we owe the card players this much?

Edited by Loreni

The area cannot be for "any and all" if campers take it over for cards. Other venues are available to them for cards.

If everybody did as the campers do, there wouldn't be any reason for the IC to even exist, because nobody who is actually using the IC to get drinks or snacks would have a place to sit. Most people do not behave like the campers, but are instead considerate of others, therefore Princess is able to monitize the IC by selling coffee, tea, and drinks. On some cruises, there are only a few campers and they are just an annoyance. On other cruises, like mine, there are enough campers to undermine the function of the IC and the enjoyment of many.

And it doesn't need to be this way. Nobody wins except a few card players. And your cruise price will go up, if Princess can not monitize the venue. Do we owe the card players this much?

Sorry Loreni

Not understanding, why you feel you have more of a right to sit at a table than others do :confused:

Sorry Loreni

Not understanding, why you feel you have more of a right to sit at a table than others do :confused:

It isn't about rights, it is about considerate behavior. Still stunned that anyone would think it is considerate to occupy a table at the (crowded) IC for hours to play cards and drink from a thermos while those attempting to dine cannot find a chair.

Sorry you are so easily confused, but if you can explain to me in what reality this is viewed as considerate behavior, please share.

Well, I guess this is why I have heard that some ships (Royal Caribbean, perhaps) actually need to make announcement that people should vacate their tables at the buffet when they are finished eating. Otherwise some passengers don't know that they need to consider other people. I am glad you posted this response, because now at least I know that a simple solution exists. Princess just needs to post a few signs. But if they do, are you sure you won't find them offensive. After all, why should Princess expect you to consider another human being, especially a stranger.

Why would I be offended if Princess informed me and others of their policies?

What does offend me are people who expect me to think, behave, and believe as they do.

Why do you expect me to offer any consideration to strangers when apparently you do not. The OP presumes that your wants should override those of people already occupying seats in the IC. Why is that?

It isn't about rights, it is about considerate behavior. Still stunned that anyone would think it is considerate to occupy a table at the (crowded) IC for hours to play cards and drink from a thermos while those attempting to dine cannot find a chair.

Sorry you are so easily confused, but if you can explain to me in what reality this is viewed as considerate behavior, please share.

Not easily confused:) Just confused that you think other cruisers are inconsiderate, because you cannot find a table ! As I said, different people enjoy their cruise different ways.

Edited by Reader0108598

Sorry Loreni

I have to agree and wonder who has more sense of entitlement? The OP who IMO thinks a seat in the IC should be available to her when she wants to go because she is willing to pay extra or those who are enjoying a public space that really isn't designated exclusively as an eating venue.

Why would I be offended if Princess informed me and others of their policies?

What does offend me are people who expect me to think, behave, and believe as they do.

Why do you expect me to offer any consideration to strangers when apparently you do not. The OP presumes that your wants should override those of people already occupying seats in the IC. Why is that?

Bingo!:D

Loreni have you ever sailed on the QM2. You might find the design and use of the interior public spaces more to your liking.

Still stunned that anyone would think it is considerate to occupy a table at the (crowded) IC for hours and drink from a thermos while those attempting to dine cannot find a chair.

I've deleted the phrase about card play because I want to focus on your issue with people drinking from a thermos. Why is that an issue? If they are happy with whatever their favorite beverage is from a thermos, that's their issue. It is probably coffee made from concentrate, but that's a guess.

I like fresh brewed iced tea. It isn't available anywhere on the Princess ships, so I make my own. I bring a "hot cup" and get water and tea bags from the HC. Brew, cool, add ice, and I have my favorite beverage. I'll typically be around the ship with a tumbler of "my" tea. Should I be denied my favorite beverage because it isn't on the Princess list? Should I not sit in the IC area while eating a snack or lunch because I brought my own beverage? MOST of the food in this area is included in the cruise fare. I don't see a sign indicating that I have to buy something in order to sit there. What if I bring my adult daughter who has a "Soda and more" package? She'll get fountain serve and bring it to the area. Why should she purchase a can of soda when she has already paid for unlimited fountain serve?

I DO understand the concept of not hogging seats when others want or need them. But I disagree that one should have to purchase a charged beverage in order to sit in the area.

I like to have tea or coffee at the IC and I am more than willing to try the for-a-fee Norman Love treats. But I need a place to sit. On my last cruise many people camped out for hours between breakfast and lunch at the IC (I mean specifically at the IC tables) even when many people were milling around with their coffees and food looking for a place to sit.

And what were these "campers" doing? Playing cards. For hours. Continued this obnoxious behavior for 28 days. Did they even order one cup of coffee? No. Maybe they think they are sticking it to Princess by having access to the entertainment in the piazza without paying a dime. Some had even brought thermoses with them. They are also hurting their fellow cruisers. Princess had opened up the beautiful Crown Grill as a game room. Why didn't they go there? No free entertainment, I guess.

I am willing to pay for quality coffee and tea and treats, but I won't eat them standing. So I sat right next to one of the campers who was on the padded bench across from her husband seated in a chair. I came very close to simply putting my coffee and plate on the edge of their "card table," but didn't want to start the first day of a long cruise this way. Princess needs a hostess to seat people here, I think. Or get rid of the entertainment. It is obviously intended to reward patrons of the IC, but this is not what is happening. Instead, due to rude selfish people, it is driving people who are willing to pay away from the venue.

I don't sit there very often, sometimes in the evening if I want another coffee, say this because don't want you to think I am a camper. But I hate tell you, this is public space, first come first serve... take your coffee and find a way to enjoy it somewhere else. That is what I would do. But I don't like crowds so if it is crowded I leave. :)

Reading this. I have never been on these ships but just curious where people would/should go to play cards or board games? I can understand not in restaurants proper especially during meal times.. I see where some here say not on the Lido, not in the atruims but is there somewhere for a group to meet and do this without taking place bar or cafe space?

I don't recall anywhere on any ship I've been on..... although I haven't played cards or a game. I have sat and read though. I would think unless someone had a suite of some type there would't be room in a cabin for 2 or 3 couples or a family to be able to sit and play cards/games.

Maybe this is what people have alluded to when they say the ships are putting in more cabins, bars etc which is leaving less public spaces?

Addendum: I do recall a friend mentioning there was a card room on one ship she was on but only if you were an adult that played Bridge..????

Edited by Shih-tzu
Fingers refused to cooperate with keyboard

If I couldn't sit down with my food because some *******es were hogging the table for hours, i'd be tempted to set my stuff on the ground nearby and start photographing/filming them. When they asked what I was doing, I'd say "killing time while I'm waiting for a seat."

Okay, it'd probably cause more problems than it'd solve, but it's a snarky fantasy.:D

I have never in my twenty six cruises sat in the atrium, but if I did ....film away!!!!:D

This not a restaurant, it is a public,open ,space.

The IC is a place to pick up a little something, not to sit down with a three course meal.

Edited by Reader0108598

If everybody did as the campers do, there wouldn't be any reason for the IC to even exist, because nobody who is actually using the IC to get drinks or snacks would have a place to sit. Most people do not behave like the campers, but are instead considerate of others, therefore Princess is able to monitize the IC by selling coffee, tea, and drinks. On some cruises, there are only a few campers and they are just an annoyance. On other cruises, like mine, there are enough campers to undermine the function of the IC and the enjoyment of

Since I never seem to have the problem you are so fixated on and do not consider it as huge of a problem as you do then it would not bother me. Not everything on Princess is about money. So you have not yet told us what Princess has said when you told them about your fixation. It is readily apparent you have not brought it up to them and expect to get a solution on here. The one who has to face reality is you and not those who are on here and the many passengers who do not populate this forum. Sorry but your continual insults and demands only show your fixation and lack of solution.

By the way what do you think the function of the IC is supposed to be? What portion of the surrounding area do you think it encompasses? It seems your idea is much different from other cruisers and that of Princess itself. Again have you brought this up to Princess.

Edited by Potstech