Cost of an IPad Air 2 - 64gb

leswor

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody can help with the cost of an IPad air 2 64gb wifi not cellular bought on board. We are thinking of buying one in the uk but as we are on a Celebrity cruise in August we might wait if they are cheaper on board.

Many thanks

Les:)

Reports are that there are no discounts. What is quoted online in $US is what you will pay. But there is no tax, and UK cruisers get a break with the exchange rate. Of course, this depends on whether they have the exact item you want. EM

The only possible issue would be the power supply for the unit . When I checked onboard last summer , they only sold units with a US plug on them.

Wait...what? I am not aware of any iPads having power plugs (and even if they are included, they are not attached to the charging cable). It works fine for 220 or 110 V. Just buy an appropriate plug to put the charging cable in (about $5 on Amazon) and you are set.

Edited by Lisichka

Wait...what? I am not aware of any iPads having power plugs (and even if they are included, they are not attached to the charging cable). It works fine for 220 or 110 V. Just buy an appropriate plug to put the charging cable in (about $5 on Amazon) and you are set.

Most Apple products use an external power adapter for charging. There is a cabling that can be used to charge from a laptop or computer . Every Apple device comes with a module that converts 120/220 VAC to the voltage for the internal battery charger . You don't stick 120/220 VAC into any most Ipods , Ipads or Mac Air .

On our cruise in May the iPads were about £50 cheaper than we had just paid in Costco for one, the exchange rate has changed since then so may not be so favourable now. Plus in Costco you get a two year warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anybody can help with the cost of an IPad air 2 64gb wifi not cellular bought on board. We are thinking of buying one in the uk but as we are on a Celebrity cruise in August we might wait if they are cheaper on board.

Many thanks

To give you an idea of prices available, I checked Amazon here in US: new $489.99, refurbished $379.55

Edited by blizzardboy

On our Bermuda cruise in May we had a bunch of OBC. Prices were regular Apple prices but there was limited selection. I was looking for the iPad Pro 9.7" and they didn't have either of the iPad pros.

Carol

Hi everyone,

Many thanks

No discounts on apple .

.....But there is no tax, and UK cruisers get a break with the exchange rate.....EM

In recent weeks pound has dropped from about 1.5$ to the £ to 1.3$ to the £ So goods priced in dollars are about 16% more expensive for those of us buying in sterling.

On board credit in theory has gone up in value to UK cruisers as the pound weakens but as it can only be spent on board unless they're cutting prices on board there is no saving there

Even if the £ to $ rate improves, don't bank on a 64Gb version being available. On the Eclipse TA in April, all they had was a couple of 16Gb versions for sale and were completely out of stock of the 64's. If you're still keen at the time of your cruise, see if you can get an idea of their stock levels from customer services prior to sailing. Coincidentally was looking at 12w chargers in the local Apple shop the other day and they were retailing at £15. As for money to purchase an IPad, should they actually have a 64Gb on board, you could consider gifting yourself some OBC, I bought myself recently some onboard spend for an upcoming Celebrity cruise at $1.44 to the £, but you are gambling with the rates.

Edited by Zippy99

• 2 weeks later...
Gosh That's a good rate: £1 -$1.44 (well it is these days)

I haven't sent it rise above 1.34 since the Brexit announcement.

Well it was at time of writing, looks like Celebrity caught on and the $25 OBC gift certificate now stands today at $1.329 to the £.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/cruise-onboard-credit/onbdcr/item-code-c171

On Eclipse in February I purchased the IPad 2 air with OBC, no problem. The celebrity ships are authorized Apple dealers so the warranty is the same and no tax after the ship sails. The gave extra Internet time to set it up while onboard.

When we boarded it was our first stop as their inventory was limited, put one on hold till after sailing, but no IPad Pros. This was a 14 day cruise and when I stopped by the Internet/Apple store for help the next evening There was no inventory left!

On Eclipse in February I purchased the IPad 2 air with OBC, no problem. The celebrity ships are authorized Apple dealers so the warranty is the same and no tax after the ship sails. The gave extra Internet time to set it up while onboard.

When we boarded it was our first stop as their inventory was limited, put one on hold till after sailing, but no IPad Pros. This was a 14 day cruise and when I stopped by the Internet/Apple store for help the next evening There was no inventory left!

The iPad air sold out on our cruise in July, 13 day cruise on the Constellation.

If you are going to buy, I would do it in the first couple of days. The folks in the Ilounge are excellent in answering questions , helping you with some neat shortcuts for your apple devices. There was also three Apple classes for a fee early in our cruise. They were well attended.

Remember if you sailing is in the Mediterranean and your ship does not call at a non-EU port, then your purchases will be subject to VAT. When we sailed last year on Constellation from Civitavecchia, all purchases were subject to 22% VAT so there was no saving on purchasing Apple products.