Upgrading to the premium drink package in Spain - VAT?

thomaskuhn

We are about to start a cruise beginning in Barcelona Spain. We already have classic drink packages, but I was possibly interested in upgrading to premium (I occasionally like to splurge on more interesting drinks) as i had on my last trip.

I just read about VAT taxes on Spanish departing cruises in a different post and was wondering if I would be charged a vat if I 1. Upgraded while in Spain? 2. Stayed on the classic package and had to buy a drink outside the package?

Would it be better or not to upgrade prior to embarking in Spain?

As cruisestich said: on a cruise with only EU ports from and to Spain you will be charged VAT at whatever time you upgrade or for whatever you buy on board during the entire cruise.

As long as there is only one non EU port (e.g. Turkey) on the cruise you will only be charged while in Spain (Spain is an exception, which is why some call it Spanish tax). You would have to wait until you are outside Spanish waters.

We start in Barcelona, with two more stops in Spain, then Malta, Sicily,Naples and end in Rome.

Then, as much as I know, the "Spanish tax" will be applied on board during the entire cruise because Spain is the originating country on a cruise never leaving the EU area. The rule of "International waters" does not apply.

On a cruise the other way around things would be different. To my knowledge Italy does not apply the VAT.

Edited by Miaminice

How would this apply for booking excursions on the ship on day 1 for non-Spanish sites?

Services (e.g. spa treatments) are handled differently - no tax. Excursions might be handled as services because you book with the cruise line and an excursion is no consumer good. I am just guessing the latter though. We do not book excursions with the lines, so no experience here...

Edited by Miaminice

What happens if you upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package from the Classic well in advance of the cruise? Do you still pay the VAT on an all EU cruise?

That´s not perfectly clear :)

Some said the total price shown while booking is higher because of the VAT. However, since the VAT is not shown separately you would have to compare with another cruise to see if that is true.

What happens if you upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package from the Classic well in advance of the cruise? Do you still pay the VAT on an all EU cruise?

Two ways to find out, call Celebrity, I did when I had that question on another cruise. Or do a dry run on their site.

You could save 20%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two ways to find out, call Celebrity, I did when I had that question on another cruise. Or do a dry run on their site.

You could save 20%.

Thanks for the advice.

Just off the Equinox. The Spanish VAT tax was applied to purchases during the entire cruise. It did not apply to shore excursions though. It's a hefty 21%!

Edited by ev8876

Just off the Equinox. The Spanish VAT tax was applied to purchases during the entire cruise. It did not apply to shore excursions though. It's a hefty 21%!

But is that because you didn't visit a non EU port?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, good to know that, at least, it doesn't apply to shore excursions.

Can you be more specific about the other items that were included or not?

Beverage Packages? Specialty restaurants? Internet package? Do you know if it makes a difference if these items are prepaid or bought on board?

How did the passengers reacted when they realized that "surprise" overcharge that Celebrity is very discrete about? Were Guest Services overly busy about complains on the subject? Were the passengers clearly informed in Celebrity Today about the policy and what items are taxable or not?

21% only apply to non food goods. Drinks etc. should be lower (I think I remember 10%).

Wouldn't it be nice if X would at least offer a 10% discount on those purchases[emoji851][emoji851][emoji851]

It would be... but why would they? It isn´t something they charge, it is a tax they have to process creating more work for them. That´s not even considering all the debates with passengers...

Would they grant a 10% discount on purchases on these cruises everybody else would ask for the same discount. Plus, since X would have to pay for it, they´d add it somewhere else ;)

Edited by Miaminice

Spanish 10% tax is applicable to all drink packages, bar purchases, specialty dining cover charges and room service charges.

Spanish 21% tax is applicable to purchases made in the onboard shops, photo gallery and iLounge.

Celebrity did not include information in the daily paper but it was posted in the onboard shops. There was also a sign saying that if you spent more than $100, then you should fill out the appropriate paperwork to apply for a refund.

Spanish 10% tax is applicable to all drink packages, bar purchases, specialty dining cover charges and room service charges.

Spanish 21% tax is applicable to purchases made in the onboard shops, photo gallery and iLounge.

Celebrity did not include information in the daily paper but it was posted in the onboard shops. There was also a sign saying that if you spent more than $100, then you should fill out the appropriate paperwork to apply for a refund.

That would be the VAT refund. Didn't realize there was a minimum. [emoji15][emoji15]

We will be departing from Barcelona on the 30th July (Connie) and also have the classic beverage package which we were looking to upgrade to Premium using some of the OBC to pay for (Have nearly $1000 OBC most non refundable, so want to minimize further spend).

Our itinerary is Barcelona (Spain), France, Italy, Kotor (Montenegro), Zadar (Croatia), then back to Italy.

Can I therefore assume, that even though we originate from Spain, as we visit Non EU countries (Montenegro and Croatia) that the additional 21% tax will not be applied ?

Do we have to wait to upgrade, if so, how far out of Barcelona (or can you just ask them not to apply to the bill until out of Spanish waters) ??

regards

Edited by Chalco

The IVA (Spanish Tax as it is called ) is applicable only to onboard purchases. Anything bought on-line ahead of the cruise will NOT incur the Tax.

The VAT charge on all beverages, Specialty Restaurants are at 10% when purchased on board.

The Tax also applies to all cruises which embark from any Italian port which doesn't include a Non-EU port in its itinerary but only applies to on board shop purchases and is charged at 22% IVA.

Also any non-european can claim the Tax back on all purchases over $98 at any port or airport when leaving the EU for another country.

Edited by jody75

We will be departing from Barcelona on the 30th July (Connie) and also have the classic beverage package which we were looking to upgrade to Premium using some of the OBC to pay for (Have nearly $1000 OBC most non refundable, so want to minimize further spend).

Our itinerary is Barcelona (Spain), France, Italy, Kotor (Montenegro), Zadar (Croatia), then back to Italy.

Can I therefore assume, that even though we originate from Spain, as we visit Non EU countries (Montenegro and Croatia) that the additional 21% tax will not be applied ?

Do we have to wait to upgrade, if so, how far out of Barcelona (or can you just ask them not to apply to the bill until out of Spanish waters) ??

regards

Can anyone advise ?

We asked our sommelier in Luminae last fall to upgrade our package but not put it in until we were in "safe" waters. She said that's what she always did to save people the tax, and she did and it worked. Our ports were Barcelona, Mallorca, Malaga, Valencia, Tenerife, Lanzarote, and Miami.

What DIDN'T work was doing the appropriate paperwork and having things signed officially on board on our final port - and expecting our VAT tax refund from purchases on shore (about $500 worth!). We never got it. So I guess it's a crap shoot whether or not that refund really works. :rolleyes: