Explorer CHRISTENING CRUISE -- 7/12 - 7/20//2016 - LIVE

Gerry, no, not on for the maiden voyage but will be back onboard in November and March.

poss, felt that the Monaco national anthem was somber but lovely nevertheless. Was so happy to hear our national anthem. There is something very special about Regent being a U.S. company. While there are passengers from all over the world here, most are from the U.S. and Canada.

Massimo, Regent G.M was onboard visiting. It was good too see him. He has been in Genoa for months working on the ship. He will replace Franck when he goes on vacation at the end of September.

I'll try to post last night's menu later. It could give ideas for possible special requests.

A couple of more details.

No blue stripe on the side of the ship.

When you enter restaurants, instead of a disinfection station, there is a sink to wash hands if you so desire

Lower category suite balconies have two large chairs but no chaise lounge.

BTW, excursion today was great. All about food and wine followed by a visit to Santa Margarita. It was a Regent Choice excursion.

More later.

P.S. cruisemaster6 , sorry it has taken so long to respond. Yes, internet is noticeably faster and works well in our suite.

Edited by Travelcat2

I thought the ceremony was very nice. Naturally, I loved hearing Andrea Bocelli even for only two songs. I didn't think he would sing more plus it was later there. Jackie, I'm glad you and Dennis go invited. It's nice of Regent to remember the good customers. Keep the comments coming. Now I can't wait till November and our cruise. Enjoy.

Forevertravel:)

Can someone please explain to me why Jackie got invited on the Christening cruise but not any of the other titaniums that we know here?

I think this is a genuine question from Marc that deserves an answer.

We are all pleased for those that did get invited and we are thankful for the feedback from Travelcat2 about how the ship is different/special from the other ships in the fleet.

I don't think there is any bickering here but we are all slightly jealous (if we are honest to admit it) and those of us that are Platinum and above are probably wondering if we are in for the chance of a similar 'treat' in the future or whether there are other factors in play here that mean we should stop hoping.

I sure hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but I don't think Jackie will tell you this. Not only is she a long time Regent supporter and cruiser, she is a very close friend of Frank Del Rio's and has been for years. If you listened to his speech yesterday Mr. Del Rio spoke about having friends in attendance as well as only 27 past customers. Of course we would all have loved to have been there, but since that would have been impossible I think we should be happy for those fortunate enough to be included in this very special event.

I thought the ceremony was very nice. Naturally, I loved hearing Andrea Bocelli even for only two songs. I didn't think he would sing more plus it was later there. Jackie, I'm glad you and Dennis go invited. It's nice of Regent to remember the good customers. Keep the comments coming. Now I can't wait till November and our cruise. Enjoy.

Forevertravel:)

Ditto on forevertravel's comments--- I really do not understand why anyone would write here to question why Jackie and Dennis were invited. If you have a question or a problem, why not address it to RSSC? Perhaps they were invited because Jackie is an avid fan of RSSC. She tells it like it is. Sometimes she may not be "politically correct", but she is always honest. That's what I love about her.

Herb and I met Jackie and Dennis last year on our CapeTown cruise. They were one of the most delightful and interesting couples we ever had the pleasure to meet. They were helpful and we are so happy to be able to consider them new friends.

It is because of them and others, including Pilar, Kurt, Terri and Ray that we switched from another Explorer cruise to the November Transatlantic Explorer sailing.

Jackie and Dennis- enjoy this sailing. Can't wait to see you all in November. And, why don't you join "forever travel" and us on our Asia journey sailing on March 7th????

Hugs

Sheila and Herb

Hi Jackie,

I am really enjoying reading about the Explorer through your eyes. We board her on Wednesday and are very excited to be on the Maiden Voyage!

Your comments about the layout of the ship and the staterooms help me to picture what we have in store.

If you get a moment, can you take a photo of the infinity pool please? Is it available to anyone or only those who have spa appointments that day?

Thanks for fueling our excitement while you enjoy!

Here are some pics that Jackie and Dennis sent for posting. Please excuse any errors since I am posting these under the influence of some excellent sangria. I selected medium format which seems to be most folks' favorite. Please let me know if you prefer a larger format.

Her Serene Highness and Prince Albert II

3dea468f78f8d3f5eba61907c8cf55f8.jpg

Passing in front of Jackie and Dennis

8d8b4014ba0ad531a90a7b678bf5bd2e.jpg

Frank del Rio

7172cf4c8bfce55da5430e45949a35a4.jpg

Thank you Sheila and Kathy and other people that I consider friends. (enough said).

Before I forget.

1. The smoking area on the pool deck is glass enclosed (will take photo when I have time tomorrow).

2. This is a weird one..... the glasses in P7 are meant to not tip over. They are lovely glasses and, as long as they are not full to the top, if you knock them over, they will land sort of sideways without spilling anything.

3. Sette Mari (just dined there) has an open kitchen so that you can watch food being prepared.

4. In addition to the "normal" fare, Sette Mari has an ice cream station (despite my best efforts, I did indulge).

We are going to our first show tonight (in 20 minutes) - something to do with Peggy Lee. Will report back on that tomorrow as well.

Rumor has it that we will get reservations in Pacific Rim in a couple of days. This has been difficult because of all of the private parties taking place on the ship. I predict that this will be our favorite dining venue.

There are so many unique things on this ship that most of you will have to discover them when you are onboard.

I know that the Regent Suite will be open for visitation during this cruise but am not sure about the other suites. This cruise was meant to have less people than are currently on board (due to the cancellation of the 4 night shakedown cruise on July 2nd). "Z", if I can view a F2 suite, will definitely take pictures:-)

Okay - have a couple more minutes and will post last nights "Christening Gala Menu"

Siberian Osetra Caviar, Elderflower and Lemon Jelly, Oyster Foam

Foie Gras Terrine Caramelized with Vergeoise on Pretzel Crumbs, Passion Fruit Coulis, Brioche

Maine Lobster with Scallop Mousseline, Fondant Potatoes, Edamame, Lobster Broth Flavored with Almond Milk and Sherry Vinegar

Choice of Entrée

Poached Atlantic Halibut Fillet, Jade Herb Broth, White Asparagus with Rosemary crust OR

72-Hour Slow-Cooked Prime Beef Short Rib, Lemon Savora Mustard Sauce, Panisse Sauteed in Echire Butter, French Chanterelles

Signature Inaugural Dessert

Vairhona Guanaja Chocolate Mousse, Tahitian Vanilla Crème Brulee, Griottines, Cherry Jelly, Tahitian Vanilla sauce

Belgian Chocolate Truffles

It was all amazingly delicious! The chef is worthy of a Michelin star!

P.S. Almost forgot - the infinity pool is not filled yet which is why you aren't seeing photos. It should be done in time for the maiden voyage.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you Travelcat for posting the pictures and menu, it sounds like Explorer is a big hit. I only saw Mr. Del Reos speech and the actual champagne bottle break of the christening but it looked to be a wonderful experience. We are trying to decide on a cruise for next year to celebrate 50 years of marriage Explorer just moved to the top of my list.

Congrats Golfer, We make it in about 6 weeks. Rather than a cruise we decided on the UK for a month ending in the Scottish Highlands--our first trip.

Like you we are interested in a trip on Explorer. Maybe we'll meet!

Did the Archbishop of Monaco give an invocation or blessing, and if so, how long was it? In what language?

When the Voyager was christened there, the Archbishop, who was expected to speak for just a couple or at most a few minutes, bloviated on for ±a half hour, all in French, which few present understood!

Just curious.

Edited by countflorida

WOW! What a menu! Most definately deserving a Michelin star. Can't wait for November! I think I've said that already, but can't help myself, especially after all the wonderful pix and reports!

In the meantime, continue to have a ball and we'll catch up later!

Linda

Did the Archbishop of Monaco give an invocation or blessing, and if so, how long was it? In what language?

When the Voyager was christened there, the Archbishop, who was expected to speak for just a couple or at most a few minutes, bloviated on for ±a half hour, all in French, which few present understood.

The official language of the Principality of Monaco is French; if few misunderstood that is not the Archbishop's fault.

To answer a question first, there was a Priest, Rabbi and I think the 3rd person could have been the Archbishop (but I don't know for sure). The Priest and Rabbi spoke in English.

Entertainment -- WOW - this group is good (and I know that this is subjective). From my perspective, they are dramatically better than Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers. I read somewhere that they need to know how to both sing and dance.

The music featured from last night's show is from the 30's and 40's (a bit before my time). For that reason, a few younger people (mostly young men) did not stay until the end. It was perfect for Dennis and I certainly enjoyed the singing and dancing. Tonight will be about the Beatles which should be great.

A relaxing day on board. Going to take a couple of photos!

Jackie, thank you for taking the time to share your fabulous journey with us. It is truly appreciated and is what I look forward to reading while having my morning coffee. Have a safe and wonderful cruise. On a more somber note our prayers go out to the people of Nice.

Enjoy. Elaine

Jackie, thanks for live-blogging your and Dennis' christening cruise adventure. I would have been avidly following along even if I weren't planning to pick up the blogging baton in several days and carry on with the Maiden Voyage. Your posts are further stoking my excitement and I'm happy for you that you have this special opportunity.

I'm wondering what you are hearing onboard about the horror that took place in Nice last night. Ginny's and my hearts are heavy this a.m. as we digest this terrible event. Next Tuesday we are due to fly into Nice. The airport there was briefly evacuated this morning, with troops deployed, over an unattended bag.

Rich

Mr. Rumor, we are planning to return to RSSC after a few years and would really appreciate to be included in your Blog list if there is one.

Jackie I've been following your entries and really enjoying them....if we are on the same cruise(Explorer) will we put another Trivia team together?....maybe Peggy will join us as well....Fun, Fun, Fun!

Trying to find a date this fall looking at Barcelona to Miami, but wondering how active the Atlantic is and how warm it will be.

Pat

Pat, would love if you were on another cruise with us. We are doing Rome to Miami in December and then Miami to Barcelona in March and whatever the crossing is in November, 2017 (then, "maybe" a Voyager cruise in the 1st quarter of 2018). Right now we only want to sail on Explorer. Would love to cruise with you again -- I have no doubt that you would love this ship (and would love to be on a trivia team with you again).

Mr. Rumor: Dennis and I talked about you at dinner. With your amazing writing skills, you will have your work cut out for you on the Explorer. I believe that you could be on this ship for weeks and not discover everything. Can't wait to read every word that you post.

There are servers here from Regent, Oceania and NCL. Tonight we met our first NCL server - a lovely young woman from Serbia. Her service skills are excellent (she poured wine). We sat in Risky's section which is always a delight.

Compared to Oceania's Marina and Riviera, this ship is less glitzy but oozes luxury. All crew members have new outfits that we find much more suitable than on the other ships. For instance, the female bartenders no longer wear uniforms that make them men. Instead, the uniforms are classy as well as feminine. The men's jackets ....... well, you have to see them - very lovely but difficult to describe.

We learned that tomorrow, a sea day, there will be a special event in CR (I think it will be a buffet). In any case, CR will be closed for breakfast.

As mentioned previously, tomorrow we visit the suites. I will be paying particular attention to the Grand Suite, Master Suite, F2 suites and G level suites. Someone offered to allow us to take pictures of their F2 suite - in case one is not open tomorrow. Of course, we will visit the Regent Suite but will not take a bunch of photos as they have already been posted. In response to one question, I can say that the shower in the concierge suites are quite large and expect the same of other suites.

The CR menu is different than on the other ships. You can have Maine lobster tail, jumbo shrimp, a whole filet of sole, Filet Mignon, etc. every night if you wish. I had the Main lobster tail again and Dennis had a double portion that we shared.

I must remember to take a picture of the Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene's photo on the wall. As she has devoted her life to teaching children to swim to save their lives, the photo is of her with her head above the water with a crown on is stunning.

There are many events going on - mainly dealing (from what I can tell) with investors and TA's. As FDR mentioned at the Christening ceremony, there are only 27 members on board based on their "loyalty" level (I heard that one needed 1,000+ nights with Regent. In addition, they needed to have another cruise booked. The selection of Titanium members was done as fairly as humanly possible.

More updates tomorrow. Tonight is another show and then some sleep.

Jackie:

The menu sounds incredible and we hope that it will continue as is rather than just for the Christening cruise. The Boss says you will owe her several Maine lobsters should she not get any in CR during November's TA. BTW, would you mind finding out who is the Maitre d' in P7? Just wondering if Eric (Erin?) was transferred. He is a medium height, shaved head gentleman from Turkey and a total delight. Thanks so much for your reporting!

Z and TB