Explorer CHRISTENING CRUISE -- 7/12 - 7/20//2016 - LIVE

Thank you, Jackie, as always for your wonderful posts. You make it feel like we're as close as possible to being there! You've had many requests for information, so may I add one more.....The (limited) photos of the Penthouse suites appear that the living room area is quite narrow. Is it? Also, hard to discern if in the bedroom, the space between the tv wall and end of the bed is also tight. Appreciate your help!

ps.....lovely to meet you (for 10 seconds!) while Mariner was docked in Vancouver June 15!

Jackie:

The menu sounds incredible and we hope that it will continue as is rather than just for the Christening cruise. The Boss says you will owe her several Maine lobsters should she not get any in CR during November's TA. BTW, would you mind finding out who is the Maitre d' in P7? Just wondering if Eric (Erin?) was transferred. He is a medium height, shaved head gentleman from Turkey and a total delight. Thanks so much for your reporting!

Z and TB

No problem🐱

Tomorrow the suites that will be open are The Regent Suite, Grand, Master and Explorer suites, PH suites, Seven Seas suite, D-E and F1-F2.

Darn-- I'd really like to hear some specifics about the G suites. I liked the fact that the most standard suites on Voyager and Mariner were quite nice; we never wished for anything more.

We will be in a SS suite in Sept, so........ Any chance of a pic please?

There seems to be very little from Regent which is hugely disappointing. The website has been updated in part but till contains far too many "mock ups" and impressions amongst the images. There is virtually nothing about balconies or balcony furniture.

It has to be the lowest profile launch of a ship, particularly following all the "most luxurious ship" hype, ever - if it is that good, and I believe it is, well, let the public see it.

Really amazed quite how poor the PR has been tbh, it is pathetic from Regent, absolutely pathetic.

There seems to be very little from Regent which is hugely disappointing. The website has been updated in part but till contains far too many "mock ups" and impressions amongst the images. There is virtually nothing about balconies or balcony furniture.

It has to be the lowest profile launch of a ship, particularly following all the "most luxurious ship" hype, ever - if it is that good, and I believe it is, well, let the public see it.

Really amazed quite how poor the PR has been tbh, it is pathetic from Regent, absolutely pathetic.

As an example of Regent's communications I noted the following contradiction on the website yesterday and it is still there today:

If you go to "our ships" from the Regent home page, the link comes up with drawings of each ship and for Seven Seas Explorer the text says, "CURRENTLY: UNDER CONSTRUCTION ARRIVING SUMMER 2016." However, if you click on Explorer you then go to a page that is updated with news of the christening.

Made me wonder how corporate communications could have missed this.

Loving all the pics, and the menu sounded fabulous. I have been so busy at work, plus we had a huge storm/tornado in Tulsa yesterday which left me without power at the house for 15 hours, so just now catching up.

The situation in Nice has me crying. So sad, and we have been there 4 times, all for regent cruises. I posted a wonderful picture of my oldest son from 2011, sitting on the promenade right where the attack occurred.

Will certainly try to take photos in all of the suites that we visit. It is likely to be crowded but I'll give it my best try.

Regarding lack of good photos prior to a few weeks ago there was no furniture to take photos of - on the balcony or any other part of the ship. I agree that the images shown previously did not do the ship justice. This was particularly true of Compass Rose. Everyone likes posting photos of the beautiful blue chandelier near the entrance. It made me think that this would be everywhere and would look gaudy. In reality, the chandelier is a small part of a very luxurious dining venue.

I'm taking rather odd pictures (of the sink for instance) since no one will likely be taking pictures of it. Will do at least one balcony photo to show furniture. Please understand that Zqueeze1 is being very kind by posting these photographs. I do not want to take advantage of his kindness by overloading him with photos.

RachelG - sorry to hear about the storm/tornado in Tulsa. Certainly hope that no one was injured. I also want to acknowledge the tragedy in Nice. There are no words to describe the sadness that we feel. I did read yesterday that NCHL ships (all three brands) will not be doing excursions out of Monte Carlo for the time being. Our prayers go out to all everyone affected by recent acts of terrorism.

Carole, no problem taking a photo of the Grand Suite shower. I can tell you that the shower in the Concierge suite is much larger than the round type showers on the other ships (but not as large as the shower-only suites on the Mariner).

Going to a Town Hall meeting this morning. Frank Del Rio and Jason Montague will be speaking as well as answering questions. It should be very interesting. Will share later (planning on taking notes but this is not my forte).

What's wrong with the pictures from the previous pre-maiden cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2375983

There's nothing wrong with them - they are simply not part of any official/formal communication from Regent! That's the point. Regent do a lot of things very well and we enjoyed our maiden cruise on Mariner so much we are now booked on Explorer in Sept and Voyager (2018).

I am making the point that, right up to the last minute, there has been so little information, barely any images and no comprehensive communication from Regent to their known customer base, certainly in the UK. It is almost like a secret unless you are fortunate enough to have been invited to these pre maiden cruise events. That is poor in my opinion, very poor indeed.

The Town Hall was well attended and very interesting. The discussion ran from NCHL ships in China to Explorer dry dock in 2018 (BTW, The Mariner dry dock is March/April 2017). There was also a discussion about itineraries being set quite far in advance which is why there are sometimes port changes that seem to upset some customers. Contrary to the opinion of some, we were told that ports are not skipped to save money. Also discussed was the high level of security on the ships that they obviously can't talk about. They did say that when food supplies are delivered to the ships, they have dogs making sure that there isn't anything in the containers that should not be onboard the ship.

In terms of China, NCL will be putting their new ship, "Joy" into China next year. It is being built for Chinese tastes (much research has been done on this). This is not a ship that someone from Western Countries will be sailing on (at least - it will be discouraged) nor can TA's book clients onto the ship. The ship is basically a charter ship. Crew members will need to speak Mandarin.

Speaking of the countries passengers come from, it is now 80% North American and 20% U.K., Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Western Europe. They hope to get this to 70/30.

Today's special "brunch" buffet was wonderful. Everything from Oestra caviar to lobster, giant crab legs, prosciutto, crepes and delicious desserts.

The suite tour was amazing as well as confusing. Although I have sent some pictures to be posted, I am confused with which suites some of my remaining photos are from. It was crowded and parts of many suites are the same.

The Concierge suite as well as F1 and F2 are basically the same except for the size (the D-E are as well). They have the nice closets and good size balcony (although, as mentioned previously, there is an extra chair in the concierge suites).

No worries about how tall a person is in the Grand Suite -- I do have a photo with my DH inside of the shower which gives a perspective as to how large it is. The Grand and Explorer suites are quite similar - the major difference being the location and balcony size. We loved the Master Suite and were pleasantly surprised with the Seven Seas Suite (really lovely). The PH suite is what it is - very much like the photo. Yes - the shower is large (close in size to the Mariner showers) but some people will miss having a bathtub.

All the suites we viewed are occupied. They were not able to get an "H" or "G" suite to show so I obviously cannot comment on them. I am not sure if it only the "G" level or both "G" and "H" that do not have walk-in closets.

Someone asked earlier who the Maitre 'D of P7 is -- it is Stan.

It is difficult to explain how much is going on all of the time on this cruise. It is overwhelming and more than a bit tiring. Will spend what is left of the afternoon resting -- dinner will be at 7:30 p.m. It is interesting that no one on this cruise seems to eat before 8:00 p.m. from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., CR is empty.

One thing I must mention is how refreshing it is to be on a cruise where everyone is really interested in the Regent product, is not complaining about anything and are just learning about the ship and enjoying themselves. Wish that more cruises were like this.

I'm taking rather odd pictures (of the sink for instance) since no one will likely be taking pictures of it. Will do at least one balcony photo to show furniture. Please understand that Zqueeze1 is being very kind by posting these photographs. I do not want to take advantage of his kindness by overloading him with photos.

Not a problem. Keep sending all you want and we will gladfully post them. Now for the price of my services: How about a pic of the wine list if available?

Rachel: Hopefully, your whole family is OK. Let us know, please.

Z and TB

Thanks, so much, Jackie, for all your photos and comments. Appreciate the Penthouse photos.....oh dear...the space between wall and bed is (as I feared) seriously tight. We're considering the PH suite for a cruise this winter. Am wondering if we should rethink and book next level up?$$?

Just loving the photos, and a special thank you to Z! I'm assuming he'll be our paparazzi on the November crossing..hahaha! I'd also love to see a wine list, if that's possible. What about Champers? What are they pouring (gratis) these days? Hendrick's onboard? Hope so!

Continue to have fun and take it easy!

Linda

Thank you so much for the photos.....both the photographer and the poster! Makes me wish we did not cancel our TA this fall but are looking forward to our B2B2B this March starting with that TA. Hopefully there will be some special events as part of the 25th anniversary voyage.

If there are any F2 photos...please share if you get the chance! Thank you both again for doing a marvelous job