Explorer CHRISTENING CRUISE -- 7/12 - 7/20//2016 - LIVE

Writing from CR Wednesday morning. A couple of things.

Balconies in Concierge suites large. Accommodates chaise lounge plus chair and good size table.

Bathrooms are large and we'll laid out.

Lots of drawers everywhere ... in closet, loving room and by desk. Almost forgot drawers in bathroom... quite a few.

For this cruise only (according to bartender) the Observation Lounge is a disco. Very beautiful but a bit loud for our taste.

More later

I think I'll be posting in bits and pieces due to the craziness (mine) going on. Just learned that Wi-Fi cameras do not work on the ship (not just Explorer). Fortunately my Kindle is able to take pictures, email them, etc.

About the CR menu....... items on the bottom left side of the menu lists main courses. Across from them are different sauces that you may want with them. This is quite similar to Prime 7. I like the new layout as I find it easier to select exactly what I want. For instance, lamb chops are shown on the left and mint sauce/jelly is on the right side.

CR is opening 6:15 tonight and P7 is open for lunch (have to try a P7 lunch). Seating for the Christening is by color. Every detail has been thought of -- our key cards have the color of our section on it. Everyone was invited by the CEO, Frank Del Rio and President, Jason Montague to a cocktail party in all lounges that will lead us into the special dinner (cannot wait to see what is on the menu). Following dinner is the Christening.

Have to get my DH's laptop connected before the computer guru leaves.

More later.

P.S. Before I forget, entry into your suite has become easier. Wave your keycard by the reader and the door opens.

Edited by Travelcat2

Me again! Just had lunch in P7. The first thing I noticed prior to entering the restaurant is that one glass door has the letter "P" and the other has "7". To my knowledge, the only people that call it P7 are CC'ers.

Not sure if this is only for this cruise or if will continue....... P7 and Chartreuse take turns being open at lunch. On sea days they are both open. We had an amazing lunch but it was the dessert presentation that blew us away. We didn't want dessert but were told that we needed to see how it was presented. I should have taken a picture. All six desserts are presented in small containers on a "thing" that reminds me of a small Lazy Susan but the desserts are hanging from "hooks" - not lying on plates. You simply choose which one (or more) interests you. A great presentation IMO.

We were notified by the Captain that tendering tomorrow in Portofino would be too rough. So, we will be going to the birthplace of the Explorer -- Genoa.

I am starting to realize that this review - coming from a purported Regent cheerleader - may lead one to question if anything could be as good as I am reporting. During lunch I asked my DH if, after all of the hype and advertising for this ship, did it meet his expectations. He said that it exceeded anything he could imagine and that the ship is at least as amazing as I am reporting.

Time for a nap and then will begin getting ready for the events of this evening.

Edited by Travelcat2

Question about Concierge Suites - I have only been on the Navigator. The Concierge Suite had a tub and shower. The shower was, IMO, very tight. Are the Explorer Concierge Suite showers bigger? I know if we go up a level to Penthouse Suites, we can get a large shower and no tub which for us would be perfect. But obviously a big increase in price.

Thanks.

Edited by douginct

Jackie, I know this is an usual question, but perhaps if you find yourself a free moment, could you possibly try to identify the song that was performed during the introduction of the Christening? It was so beautiful! Thought it may be listed on your program of the event.

Hi Jackie and Dennis,

Just finished watching the ceremony......Excellent!! Hi Class!!

When I sent the videos and photos to Ray , he was so impressed he said"we're booking on the Explorer."

It's the most beautiful one we've seen.

Are you doing a blog? If so please add me to it. I have a few questions for you but will do it privately.

Have a wonderful time and can't wait to see your photos.

Pat

Here is what Prestige Cruise Holdings (Mike Moore) posted on the Live Streaming thread:

Today, 11:56 AM

Prestige Cruise Holdings *verified

When is the replay going to be available? Some of us still work!

We'll hopefully have a link to the recorded ceremony online before the end of the week

Post #5 in the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2378116

Can someone please explain to me why Jackie got invited on the Christening cruise but not xrvlcruiser or any of the other many times over titaniums that we know here?

Marc

AFAIK She just signed up for the cruise when the booking opened. The booking did open earlier for SSS members by a few days and some T/A's did get even earlier opportunities to book their clients by a day or two. It wasn't an instant sell-out.

I thought about it for a few moments, but frankly, it is a boring itinerary and the price was to much.

j

563/37

AFAIK She just signed up for the cruise when the booking opened. The booking did open earlier for SSS members by a few days and some T/A's did get even earlier opportunities to book their clients by a day or two. It wasn't an instant sell-out.

I thought about it for a few moments, but frankly, it is a boring itinerary and the price was to much.

j

563/37

This isn't the Maiden Voyage; this is the Christening cruise which has never been offered.

FYI - there was no signing up for this cruise, it was by invitation only. xrvlcruiser is also onboard as well as another couple we know well. These are people who support Regent in many different ways and on many different levels, and I'm sure rightfully deserve to be there. Consider them lucky. Our invitation must have been lost in the mail! I guess yours did too!

Edited by Anna B.

FYI - there was no signing up for this cruise, it was by invitation only. xrvlcruiser is also onboard as well as another couple we know well. These are people who support Regent in many different ways and on many different levels, and I'm sure rightfully deserve to be there. Consider them lucky. Our invitation must have been lost in the mail! I guess yours did too!

Mine must have gotten lost too. Oh well! Happy for travelcat.

Not sure but Mike Moore could be onboard!

Just sent a few photos of last night to a friend that will try to find time to post them (not too many and they are crooked as I had to lean into the isle in order to take them).

Amazing ceremony - so happy that Kathy and a few others saw the stream of the event. I'll eventually write about the dinner and cocktail party but we are going out for the day (only day we will do so due to weather).

A couple of things before I go that are probably of more interest to readers than the ceremony.

- I incorrectly stated that the concierge balcony had one chair one chaise lounge and a table. It actually has two large chairs AND a chaise lounge (the chair backs recline somewhat)

- Olga is on board - bartending in the Observation Lounge (this is in question not asked on the board)

- Nature's Rhythm is onboard

- Safes are large enough for me to throw my handbag into it.

- Lots of random seating areas for people to relax in (love this idea)

- Bar outside of P7 is great (think there are ones outside of the other two reservation restaurants as well). Great place to have a drink while waiting for someone or just waiting for the restaurant to open.

- USB ports by the bed are great - so convenient.

- Off topic - the owner of Silversea lives in Monte Carlo and was onboard just for dinner and the event. He came to our table to talk to a couple that has 300+ nights on Silversea and a lot more than that on Regent. He was introduced to us - we shook hands and that was all.

Got to get some breakfast. The excitement has left me fairly sleepless and wound up but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

It was a very nice ceremony. I thought that Frank delRio's speech was great.

Are you staying on board for the maiden voyage too Jackie? And I see that Franck Galzy is GM on the Explorer - this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. He is the best GM in the entire fleet!

I agree with all the folks who are happy for Travelcat and the others who are on board for this special occasion. Good for them! And I wish them all sorts of continued delights.

I watched the ceremony in full too. Dazzling and completely engaging; felt really exciting, even from afar. (Didn't so much like the M.C. Seemed awfully forced. Also didn't like the frequent asking people to applaud.) And how 'bout that Monaco national anthem!

Edited by poss

So glad to hear from Jackie about her experiences. I can feel her excitement as I read her reports. Way to go and enjoy it.

Unfortunately,we missed the Christening ceremony since I was in DC on business and The Boss had more pressing matters (she took a nap). We can't wait for it to be posted and shared.

Z and TB