Explorer CHRISTENING CRUISE -- 7/12 - 7/20//2016 - LIVE

Looking forward to reading posts from the maiden voyage. I'm imagining the excitement of viewing the ship for the first time (and getting lost a few times once on board).

This morning I was able to get photos of the infinity pool (just sent them to "Z" who is no doubt working today -- no rush to post them). Also sent a photo of half of the area where the lounges are. I see now why the number of guests in this area will be limited. Since I'm a sun avoider instead of a sun lover, I won't be spending time there but it is a lovely area..

I took a photo of the menu in Pacific Rim but don't know whether it would be too difficult to read if it is posted. So, here are some items from the menu (brief version)

Appetizers

Hamachi Sashimi

Assorted Sushi Platter

Snow Crab

Tuna Tartar

Beef Takaki

Peking Duck Salad

Crispy Soft Shell Crab

Duck Spring Roll

Panko Tofu

Dim Sum

Pot Stickers, Open-Top Pork and Shrimp Shui Mei

Black Foot Chicken and Foie Gras Goyza

Soups/Salads

Miso Soup

Pho Shi Gon

Tom Kha Gai

Seaweed and Wakame Salad

Pacific Rim House Salad

I forgot to get a photo of the main courses but they included huge prawns, steak, a curry dish and several other items.

Tonight I'll take a picture of the Chartreuse menu and will try to remember the entrees.

We are in Barcelona and we'll probably go out for a walk. We are docked right next to the park and World Trade Center. It should be an easy walk into town.

I think the British journalists (from 'quality' papers) must have been on a shake-down prior to the Christening trip. I feel sure that they are completely au fait with good food from anywhere in the world, and that the reason the food and service were not up to scratch was because the ship and staff were not really ready.

Maybe Regent would have been wiser to not have reporters on board so early on - we were on one of the Voyager shakedowns, and things were understandably not quite up to the mark. Also, either they or Regent decided to concentrate on the top suite; if this was Regent's idea again not a good one.

Okay - was able to get into G2 and H suites today. Pictures will be posted when "Z" has time - definitely no rush.

Observations on "H" level suites ....... very comfortable even though it is small. Nice seating area and the balcony seems larger than the G2. There is no walk-in closet but the closet is certainly adequate. Bathroom small but shower is a very good size (bigger than round showers on Voyager). For the record, we were in suite 603.

The G2 suites are not much larger than the "H" but do have a walk-in closet. The sitting area does have a sofa rather than a love seat (even concierge suites have love seats). We were in suite 629.

We took another look at the other suites that were open and the PH seemed a bit larger than last time (PH-A, suite 914) and not as cramped.

Although everyone will have their own preferences, I feel that all of the suites on the Explorer are excellent -- well designed -- super comfy beds and spacious bathrooms in most suites (clarification - beds are great in all suites -- the bathrooms are smaller in the lower category suites).

I looked at reviews from a couple of famous travel writers (not sure if I can name them on CC) -- they were all positive -- not sure what the less than stellar reviews were about in the U.K. lincslady, it really isn't feasible for Regent to have a load of travel writers onboard during regular cruises as they would be losing revenue.

I am not hearing negative comments around the ship at all - only positive. We understand that not everything is perfect (but is a heck of a lot more perfect than some ships that we have been on). I suppose that if you come on board looking for what is wrong (perceived or real), you will find it. We have sailed on three different cruise lines - 8 different ships and look for what is right with the food, the ship, the crew, etc. and that is typically what we find.

It will be interesting to read perceptions from the passengers on the maiden voyage. I suspect that the comments will be mostly positive as it is difficult to find anything wrong with the ship, service or food.

Really enjoying the thread and pictures, thank you so much Jackie and Z!

One question I have that I may have missed the answer to, is the infinity pool for spa guests only or can Platinum and Titanium guests get access as well?

Thanks!

SO appreciate the continued excellent reporting and photos. And I look forward to hearing from the folks who'll be on the MC -- thanks for being willing to post and I hope you all have a GREAT cruise.

Tc and others: We've been very happy with the G category on Mariner (and comparable on Voyager). I'm really curious to know whether the G on Explorer will be as pleasing, or whether one has to step up to F to get the same feeling. I'm eyeing the Reykjavik-Copenhagen itinerary for 2017, though it would be much more expensive than any cruise we've taken. It'd no doubt be a no-go if we had to book F. (No catastrophe: We like Voyager and Mariner just fine-- though wish that Voyager had just shower.)

Really: Thanks so very much!

I think the British journalists (from 'quality' papers) must have been on a shake-down prior to the Christening trip. I feel sure that they are completely au fait with good food from anywhere in the world, and that the reason the food and service were not up to scratch was because the ship and staff were not really ready.

Maybe Regent would have been wiser to not have reporters on board so early on - we were on one of the Voyager shakedowns, and things were understandably not quite up to the mark. Also, either they or Regent decided to concentrate on the top suite; if this was Regent's idea again not a good one.

I stumbled over one review published in The Telegraph just two days ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/first-look-inside-seven-seas-explorer-regent-luxury-cruise-ship/

Good and not so good, but the writer does point out that it is a shakedown cruise !

One question I have that I may have missed the answer to, is the infinity pool for spa guests only or can Platinum and Titanium guests get access as well?

Thanks!

This cruise isn't typical and the infinity pool just opened. Anyone can go there but it's empty as is the pool. Just sent "Z" a better photo of the infinity pool. There are mostly meeting going on as well as private cocktail parties.

It was good to see these new photos. Thanks for posting.

Big concern (for us): In the photo of the standard room, there seem to be no reading lights. Both of us spend a fair amount of time reading in our suite; on the other ships there was always plenty of light when we sat on the couch. (We don't read in bed.) If there's not good reading space in these suites, that'd be a deal-breaker for us-- no matter how handsome the rest of the ship. (Though this recent set of photos is leading me to sense that Explorer may be too shiny and glitzy for our taste. Can certainly see the appeal that this kind of luxury can have, but 'taint us. Imagine we'll stay with the more subdued Regent ships.)

All this input has been wonderfully helpful. Really grateful to everyone.

I read the article on the cruise (and I think it was the Christening cruise because the reported indicated she was on board and met Frank del Rio...article was published this past weekend) However this was not the article that criticised the SERVICE in one or more of the restaurants.

Here is a link to Sue Bryant's article:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2016-07-17/travel/the-most-expensive-cruise-cabin-at-sea-jnzvp36ml

Back a page or two to the Culinary classes - I took several on the Riviera and was very disappointed with them. So much so that I cancelled the remaining 2 I had booked on our last TA. My problem was that I felt they were more about eating than learning how to cook particular dishes. Many of the dishes on the list were already prepared by the staff and all we did was eat them. Also some things "promised" in the course description were ignored by the teacher and that was a shame. I hope they do a better job on the Explorer - classes cost about $20 more after all!

Thanks!

The official word from Randall Soy:

"Hi all. The Infinity pool within Canyon Ranch SpaClub will be accessible for those with Spa Treatments booked plus guests in Penthouse Categories and above and also for Platinum and Titanium Society Members.

That's the plan for the launch and then we'll see how demand works out and adjust accordingly."

Hope this helps.

As this cruise winds down, I finally find myself exhausted. The anticipation was amazing and the reality was even more. Anyway, tonight we dined in Chartreuse and I think I have the menu -- not 100% sure.

Saumon Fume Balik (not a misspell) Itd is smoked salmon with Trio of Blini, Dill Normandy Cream and Calamansi Citrus "something"

Salade de Crabe d'Alaska

Souffle' au Fromage (we had this and it was wonderful)

Escargots a' la Bourguignonne (Regent's spelling)

Friand de Volaille aux Truffles - Tri-Color Beet Salad on Fresh Goat Cheese Cream w/Black Truffle Dressing

I think that this is listed under soups:

Bourride Provencale (Fish Stew Provencale with Rouille Sauce and Croutons). If you think that I know what these things are - you are wrong:-)

Consomme Chartreuse - Beef Consomme' with Tomato Aspic, Mushroom Ro0yale and Foie Gras Ravoili

Crème d'artichauts - Cream of Artichokes with Toasted Hazelnut and Creamy Thyme Emulsion

Les Poissons-

Dover Sole with Lemon, Capers, Parsley Potatoes

Coquilles Saint-Jacques Poelees et Chorizo (Seared Scallops with Chorizo, Butternet Squash Spaghetti and Champigny Sauce)

Homard Roti et Mousseline de Saint Jacques - Roasted Lobster with Scallop Mousseline, Green Asparagus and Fava Beans.

Filet de Canard aux Naveta et Cerises - Seared Barbary Duck Breast with Glazed Turnips, Candied Morelle Cherries and Sour Cherry Mustard.

Filet de Veau Framboises et Rhubarbe - Roasted Milk-Fed Fillet with Raspberry and Rhubarb Mamalade, Sauteed Swiss Chard

Supreme de Volaille aux Morilles - Black Foot Chicken Breast with Morel and Aged Comte' Cheese Crust, Fine Champagne Cognac and Crayfish sauce, Braised Salsify

Boeuf Cuit Sous Vide 72 Heures Facon Rossii - 72 hour sous vide beef ribs Rossini with crouton, truffle royale (omg - I have no idea what I am typing -- just reading the menu).

Carre' d'Agneau en Persillade - Rack of Lamb with Rosemary Persillade and Chickpeas Fritters

Vegetaria - Artichaut Poche' et Crème d'Asperges aux Truffles. Poached Artichoke, Truffled White Asparagus Custard and Fondant Potato on Watercress Sauce with Parsni and beet chips.

Les Accompagnemenets:

Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Pommes Dauphinhe

Pommes Gaufrettes

Steamed Rice

Chickpea Fritters

Sauteed Mulshrooms

Asparagus

haricot Verts

Green Peas

My apologies to French speakers. I am much too tired to figure it out.

OMG (I'm most curious about the roasted lobster, and positively drooling about all the rest.)

Speaking of which: Tc, I hope you get some delicious REST before long. You are so generous with your time and energy.

Edited by poss

OMG (I'm most curious about the roasted lobster, and positively drooling about all the rest.)

Speaking of which: Tc, I hope you get some delicious REST before long. You are so generous with your time and energy.

Thanks poss. My DH went to the show and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow I'll pack and spend some time in Saint Raphael (never heard of the place -- it is a tender port and is part of France which gives me pause).

It was a good feeling to be able to answer some Explorer questions. I know exactly how much people want to know about this ship. Hope that you sail on the Explorer as it is different but wonderful:D