Explorer CHRISTENING CRUISE -- 7/12 - 7/20//2016 - LIVE

Poss, it looks like there are recessed reading lights at each end of the sofa in the G category. I was going to suggest a tiny needlework light that I carry everywhere with me, but there is no table to put it on (it's about the size of two decks of cards, but gives amazing light). You might could put it on the arm of the sofa, but I am clumsy enough to knock it off.

Jackie, thank you so much for giving so much of your time to this. I also have absolutely no idea of what you typed from that menu, but it had to take quite a while just to type it.

Adding my thanks for your reporting, TC2, :) great to have more details and wonderful photos of the Explorer. We are in a G2 cabin next June so particularly interested in them - they seem to compare well for size and facilities with our favourite Mariner! :)

Poss, it looks like there are recessed reading lights at each end of the sofa in the G category. I was going to suggest a tiny needlework light that I carry everywhere with me, but there is no table to put it on (it's about the size of two decks of cards, but gives amazing light). You might could put it on the arm of the sofa, but I am clumsy enough to knock it off.

Jackie, thank you so much for giving so much of your time to this. I also have absolutely no idea of what you typed from that menu, but it had to take quite a while just to type it.

Yes - the lighting next to the sofa in the G2 suite and the love seat flips out of the wall on both sides (this could be in all of the suites - I didn't notice). I really like the lighting next to the bed but the ceiling lights shine in your eyes if you are in bed (sometimes my DH is doing crossword puzzles in bed while I'm getting ready and the lights bother him.) BTW, there are a lot of outlets in the room but most of them need the round, two-prong adapter. We have only one U.S. plug in our suite (but 4 USB ports and at least four plugs that accept the adapter). Not sure if that even made sense.

The Wi-Fi hasn't been working well in our suite but is faster than before in the Business Center (still not as fast as at home and it still depends upon how many people are online).

Food last night in Chartreuse was excellent. So many good choices for us. We both had rack of lamb but the lobster looked good as well. We have had lobster quite a few times so needed to try something different (as a reminder, Maine lobster tail is on the CR menu every day - along with filet mignon, scallops, and other yummy items.)

We finally can get where we want to go on the ship without getting lost but it is time to pack. Knowing what awaits us when we return in November makes the anticipation even better. While I will post less in November, I will do suite photos as we are staying in a different suite for our four Explorer cruises (three left).

Yesterday I heard about the refurbishment of the Mariner next year. So many things will be different and the ship will be beautiful. Assume that the Voyager will look like a new ship as well!

Unless there is something of interest to post, this will be my last post until I get home. Time for the Maiden voyage group to take over. I'm sure that it will be wonderful to see the Explorer in Monte Carlo tomorrow morning!

Thanks, Jackie for all the hard work. You have certainly raised our excitement for the Nov TA. After you get settled in at home, can you elaborate a little bit on the changes/updates for the Mariner?

Is it me or is the sofa in H, G, and F cabins sort of drab?

Fly safe.

Z and TB

P.S. Eliana: Well said.

Thank you Jackie for the great reporting and the great photos.

What an honor it must have been for you, Dennis and Peggy as well,to be invited to attend the Christening of the Explorer.

My Travel Agency and three of her agents were also there for the christening.

We are currently looking at cruises for Fall of 17 or winter 18.

Keep up the the travelogue writing Jackie as everyone is enjoying it.

Say hi to Dennis,

Pat

Thank you Jackie for the great reporting and the great photos.

What an honor it must have been for you, Dennis and Peggy as well,to be invited to attend the Christening of the Explorer.

My Travel Agency and three of her agents were also there for the christening.

We are currently looking at cruises for Fall of 17 or winter 18.

Keep up the the travelogue writing Jackie as everyone is enjoying it.

Say hi to Dennis,

Pat

Thanks Pat. Dennis is hoping to get on another trivia team with you! Yes - it was an honor to have been invited on this cruise. It was a once in a lifetime event for us.

I am quite curious to learn how passengers that typically sail in the lower category suites will react to the smaller size of the suites on the Explorer. IMO, they are well laid out but some people may prefer the larger suites on the Navigator and Voyager (or even the rather small suites on the Mariner). In any case, sailing on the Explorer is an experience unlike anything you experience on Regent's other ships.

BTW, she sails very smoothly - reminds me of the stability of the Mariner.

Tonight is a barbeque on the pool deck that will end with fireworks that the people of Saint Raphael are putting on for the new ship. Then we sail away to Monte Carlo (not far from where we are now). I need to convince my DH that it is too hot to sit on the pool deck -- we'll see how convincing I will be.

While I will miss the ship and it seems like a long time until November, I will be happy to be back home as we truly do not like traveling in the summer. Saint Raphael is a beautiful place but it was just too warm so we took the tender (beautiful new tenders) - walked around for 20 minutes and came back to the wonderful air conditioning of the ship.

Speaking of air conditioning, for those of you that tend to be cold on Regent ships, pack a sweater or a wrap. It is comfortably cool onboard -- I'm loving it as I find the other ships too warm. (I understand in a weird way why people complain about the cold but always feel that it is easier to put on a sweater if you are cold instead of finding a way to cool off when you are too warm).

I know that I said that I was done posting but here I am again.

Very excited for all those that will be boarding tomorrow!

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie, Just can't thank you enough for being so generous with your time and energy and allowing us to see so much of this beautiful ship. Your comments about the menu in Chartreuse had me is stitches!

Safe travels home!

Sorry to come back to you all aboard just as you are packing, but i have

a question. In the suites with only a shower is there a wet clothes hanging cord as there normally is above the bath in the suites with baths.

Sorry to come back to you all aboard just as you are packing, but i have

a question. In the suites with only a shower is there a wet clothes hanging cord as there normally is above the bath in the suites with baths.

Wish that I had an answer but unfortunately I do not. The bathtubs do have the hanging cord but I didn't check the other suites. Ask this question on the maiden voyage cruise -- hopefully they will have an answer.

About to get suitcases ready to go out at 11:00 p.m. While almost everyone dined on the pool deck, we were in Compass Rose. IMO, CR has never been as good as it is now. The menu is fabulous. I had filet mignon and lobster that were cooked perfectly. A wonderful end to a fantastic cruise.

Safe travels everyone.

I am sure there are others who have been on CC for a long, long time and remember that when Regent first announced the new build, those lower category (and smaller) suites were smaller because they would be for the solo cruisers. That didn't last very long, did it? Yes, I am still slightly bitter over that because several of us were so excited that our favorite cruise line in the whole world recognized our existence. Oh well.

Thanks so much for your great detailed notes on this new exciting ship. I am sure it took many hours of time you could be enjoying the atmosphere.

We embark in Rome in November and disembark in Los Angeles in January and cant wait to experience the the whole adventure.

looking at the PH suite we have booked it looks a tad crowded to me but then I don't spend a great deal of time in the cabin anyway.

Looks like lots of CC folks will be on this cruise with as as we are doing a few B2B Miami

Look forwaard to meeting all and the wonderful dining experiences

Sandy Gibson - Calgary Alberta