Is a cruise without lobster a cruise?

Pipo

I sailed on Harmony last month from Barcelona on the first 7-night cruise for the season. Every night, lobster was offered in the MDR menu for $24.99.

But on the last formal night, I showed up in the MDR ready to order four lobster tails, and my surprise: the traditional 'Fisheman's Plate' was gone. I asked the waiter about the lobster, and he told me that lobster is no longer part of the complimentary menu, if I want it, I must pay $24.99 a piece.

It was low blow for me... it's unacceptable that a cruise line that brags itself as "the best one overall", on their newest ship, on an inaugural season, now comes with such cut.

When did things change? For me a cruise on RCI is no longer a cruise after this.

Thank you Langley Cruisers and DonnaK for clarifying. I was completely unaware of that exception. Then, I must book a cruise departing from USA to eat my lobster tails :D

I was surprised because on my previous cruise on the Mediterranean with Celebrity, they did serve complimentary lobster. Maybe the premium cost of Celebrity does cover the lobster in Europe.

Edited by Pipo

I too have never ordered lobster on a cruise, there is always something else on the menu that I much prefer.

I think the reason that lobster is not offered on cruises outside of the US is that most of the passengers are from other parts of the world where eating lobster is not such a big deal.

Julie

I sailed on Harmony last month from Barcelona on the first 7-night cruise for the season. Every night, lobster was offered in the MDR menu for $24.99.

But on the last formal night, I showed up in the MDR ready to order four lobster tails, and my surprise: the traditional 'Fisheman's Plate' was gone. I asked the waiter about the lobster, and he told me that lobster is no longer part of the complimentary menu, if I want it, I must pay $24.99 a piece.

It was low blow for me... it's unacceptable that a cruise line that brags itself as "the best one overall", on their newest ship, on an inaugural season, now comes with such cut.

When did things change? For me a cruise on RCI is no longer a cruise after this.

I know that has been the case in the MED since at least Jan. 2009. I think US departures are the only ones with the lobster on the fishermans plate.

Pipo-We understand your feelings. We sailed on a New Years Eve cruise a few years back and that was the only cruise that did not have Lobster. We were told it was due to the budget the Captain had and they chose to provide Champagne to everyone at midnight and remove the lobster. I would have preferred to pay an extra $20 for the champagne (DW & I) and have the lobster for both of us.

I'm one the rare people in the world that doesn't like lobster so my answer would be a big fat YES it is a cruise. Makes no difference to me, my wife actually usually gets mine. They alloy her two because I don't get mine.

On my last cruise the lobster tails were the small warm water variety that are not that tasty.

I have enjoyed all the Florida Spiny Lobster I could every want. The biggest issue problem with cooking them is over cooking and how they are cooked. It took me many years to find the best "overall" way to cook them. RC and most other cruise lines must cook them, I guess by steaming, some times they are tougher than cocky pucks. It is a very thin line between over done and underdone. I have experienced both on RC. I will agree they are not Maine or Cold water lobster, but if prepared correctly they are "almost as good"

Well, I've been on over 60 cruises and never had lobster on any, so, yeah, it's still a cruise. :D I'm just not a lobster fan (and I'm from Massachusetts! :eek:).

I have only been on 7 cruises and I have never had lobster, or pizza . Not a fan of either. And I always have a great time.