Royal/Regal deluxe vs standard balcony?

AtlantaCruiser72

Booking the Royal on a transatlantic in fall 2017. Other than a loveseat am I REALLY getting much else meaningful in terms of space/storage for about $300pp more (15nt cruise). Have stayed in balconies on older generation Princess ships and assuming the standard balcony room on Royal is comparable.

Booking the Royal on a transatlantic in fall 2017. Other than a loveseat am I REALLY getting much else meaningful in terms of space/storage for about $300pp more (15nt cruise). Have stayed in balconies on older generation Princess ships and assuming the standard balcony room on Royal is comparable.

The Std. Balcony cabin on the Royal is similar to grand class Princess ships. The bathroom is larger with a larger shower, the TV is mounted on the wall so there is no TV shelf above the fridge, the hair dryer is attached inside a drawer instead of being hung on the wall which consumes some drawer storage space, but there are some open shelves, the balcony on most cabins is 9'x slightly less than 4' vs. the Grand Class ships that have 9'x5' or 9'x9' balconies. The Royal's balcony size is the same for balcony, deluxe balcony, and mini suites. There are a few cabins that do have larger angled balconies, check out the deck plans.

The deluxe balcony is only slightly larger than a std. balcony.

I sailed on the Regal in a deluxe balcony. The balcony is so small it's more like a french balcony. The small love seat is also too small to make an appreciable difference. I personally would not sail on the Regal class again.

Stayed in Deluxe Balcony on Royal and Standard Balcony on Regal, both on Lido Deck. Balconies are same size on both. Actually prefer the Standard Balcony over the Deluxe because desk is larger with more storage space. In Deluxe the desk and fridge are side by side. In standard the fridge/bar is on opposite wall making it easier for the two of us not to be on top of one another.

Thanks y'all - you have confirmed what I assumed, that paying the extra for the "deluxe" balcony is not really worth it. I'll take the savings and use it somewhere else :D

I knew the Royal/Regal Balcony space was tight. gonna be a hard pill to swallow as I am Caribe Deck balcony guy on the Grand/Crown class ships

I sailed on the Regal in a deluxe balcony. The balcony is so small it's more like a french balcony. The small love seat is also too small to make an appreciable difference. I personally would not sail on the Regal class again.

We travelled on Royal last month in a deluxe balcony cabin. There are only a few inches in size difference between that and a standard balcony cabin. Apparently there are some cosmetic differences but I doubt that they justify the price difference you refer to.

Our deluxe cost the same as a standard when we booked, so it was a no-brainer.

Ignore the comments you will read about the size of the balcony and the small bathrooms. It is true that they are smaller than Celebrity and the Princess Grand class but are perfectly acceptable and the three of us (all adults) had a great cruise for two weeks.

I knew the Royal/Regal Balcony space was tight. gonna be a hard pill to swallow as I am Caribe Deck balcony guy on the Grand/Crown class ships

I share your pain!

We'll be on Royal at the end of this month for 2 weeks and will really miss those Caribe balconies. I'll dull the pain with beer.

Edited by Esprit
typo

I would go for a standard balcony every time. There is more storage space in the standard room.

When we did book a deluxe the love seat was used as a 'wardrobe' and for bags and fleeces. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unless you book one of the deluxe balconies with an extended balcony like the forward facing ones, no, I wouldn't find them worth it. We ended up just using the loveseat as extra storage, and the extra coffee table just got in the way. Other than that, the room and bathroom are identical to balcony rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

NO you are not Princess WAY overprices all there balcony rooms, the side way inside rooms have more storage then the balconies.

Ignore the comments you will read about the size of the balcony and the small bathrooms. It is true that they are smaller than Celebrity and the Princess Grand class but are perfectly acceptable and the three of us (all adults) had a great cruise for two weeks.

Yes of course ignor all opinions the OP asked for except yours :eek:

Edited by cruzsnooze

Loved our deluxe balcony. It was so nice to have the extra room and somewhere to sit besides the bed. We had the standard size balcony and it was adequate. We are booked on the Royal TA this fall in a deluxe balcony, E110, with a huge balcony. For longer cruises with a lot of sea days, I definitely recommend the DB.

That's quite an exaggeration to refer to the balconies as being more like a french balcony.

Here's the definition of a french balcony from a travel industry website:

Define French Balcony

French balcony. In a hotel or similar structure, a door, usually largely glass, on an upper floor that opens to a railing rather than a platform onto which a guest could walk. Some time called a false balcony.

That doesn't describe a Royal-class balcony which is about 20% smaller than on other Princess ship's standard balconies...9'x4' vs 9'x5'. It was large enough for us to enjoy another UBD which would be impossible to have on something that's more like a french balcony.

Not everyone is happy with the smaller size & they have the option to instead sail on a Grand-class ship or get an extended balcony on a Royal-class ship. But the balcony is okay for many of us & to say it's more like a french balcony is an exaggeration.

We used our love seat often whenever the balcony was too hot when in the direct sunlight. But I wouldn't pay much more for the 11 sq.ft. of extra space which wasn't noticeable. The price difference for our deluxe balcony on 3 cruises was only slightly more than a standard balcony & the DB was in a more preferable location for us.

It's good to have options for each of us to determine what suits us best.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks y'all - you have confirmed what I assumed, that paying the extra for the "deluxe" balcony is not really worth it. I'll take the savings and use it somewhere else :D

No pills necessary. :)

You can find the larger balconies on the Royal/Regal mid ship ,forward and aft..

We were on Carib deck in Feb. Nice floor to be on.

No pills necessary. :)

You can find the larger balconies on the Royal/Regal mid ship ,forward and aft..

Correct. We were on the Royal in June in E433, which had a larger balcony. It also is an obstructed view without any obstruction.

Correct. We were on the Royal in June in E433, which had a larger balcony. It also is an obstructed view without any obstruction.

We have been in that same cabin [emoji1] on the Regal

Edited by Mom33