Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

You are correct, however, when we booked the cruise on the Marina, we were not scheduled to visit Cuba. If we canacel the cruise now will will loose 250.00 USD per person.

You have this option from Oceania's Terms and Conditions if you cancel soon:

"Cruises of less than 15 Days:

DAYS PRIOR

TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT

91-120 Days Prior - $250 per person administrative fee++

++The Administrative Fee may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within 2 years of date of issue."

You are correct, however, when we booked the cruise on the Marina, we were not scheduled to visit Cuba. If we canacel the cruise now will will loose 250.00 USD per person.

We are booked on the March 7 cruise, and are unhappy to lose Guatemala and Honduras, which we have never seen, in favor of Havana, which we have seen. We are also very annoyed at the $125 US pp fee, which according to my TA we have to pay, even though as Canadians we should only need a tourist card, which were we flying we would get on the plane. We have our own travel medical insurance, but apparently are being forced to buy it again, even though we are only in Havana for a day (not overnight). However, our TA told us that we do have the option of cancelling the cruise, and getting a full refund, as long as we do it before Dec 22. There will be no cancellation fee because of the change of itinerary. We probably won't cancel as there are no other cruises that time that interest us. But it is the extra fees that really bug us. I think Oceania should cover those since they changed the itinerary, and we have already made full payment for the cruise. Good luck with that, though.

Betty

We are booked on the March 7 cruise, and are unhappy to lose Guatemala and Honduras, which we have never seen, in favor of Havana, which we have seen. We are also very annoyed at the $125 US pp fee, which according to my TA we have to pay, even though as Canadians we should only need a tourist card, which were we flying we would get on the plane. We have our own travel medical insurance, but apparently are being forced to buy it again, even though we are only in Havana for a day (not overnight). However, our TA told us that we do have the option of cancelling the cruise, and getting a full refund, as long as we do it before Dec 22. There will be no cancellation fee because of the change of itinerary. We probably won't cancel as there are no other cruises that time that interest us. But it is the extra fees that really bug us. I think Oceania should cover those since they changed the itinerary, and we have already made full payment for the cruise. Good luck with that, though.

Betty

Sure do agree with you. O should cover these fees.

You have this option from Oceania's Terms and Conditions if you cancel soon:

"Cruises of less than 15 Days:

DAYS PRIOR

TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT

91-120 Days Prior - $250 per person administrative fee++

++The Administrative Fee may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within 2 years of date of issue."

Excellent information! Once we had to cancel an Oceania cruise when in the final payment period and were pleasantly surprised to learn that the $250 pp was not lost. Very generous policy, I think.

Those that are unhappy with the port changes need to exercise their options. There are so many Caribbean cruises out there that nobody needs to continue with this particular one if they are unhappy.

Procrastination just limits the options available. I understand that some are upset on principle and others are upset because of the financial impact. But their happiness is in their hands at this point.

Sure do agree with you. O should cover these fees.

I disagree because the OP in question has the option to cancel WITHOUT any penalty and they should do so if they are not happy. That is a very fair offer from Oceania.

If they wish to stay then they have to accept the new terms, including the extra fees, over which Oceania most likely has no control.

The choice either way is THEIRS - they are not forced to accept anything that they do not like.

JMO

PS - in the case of the poster who already had purchased their airfare, they potentially stand to lose money and I could see where it might be fair for Oceania to compensate them for the airfare (in some way - cash or credit).

Edited by Paulchili

Paul

Itineraries are changed all the time. Egypt eliminated. Turkey eliminated. I would not expect o to compensate for airfare because of an itinerary change. It is so easy to pay a few extra dollars when booking tickets to have insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Paul

Itineraries are changed all the time. Egypt eliminated. Turkey eliminated. I would not expect o to compensate for airfare because of an itinerary change. It is so easy to pay a few extra dollars when booking tickets to have insurance.

But will insurance cover port changes? I think not unless it is the most costly insurance that anyone can buy and I think most people do not buy. O should cover these extra costs because these changes are being done because Mr. FDR wants to go to Cuba and really does not care how much extra we are going to pay for him to do this. As much as I love O and the job Mr. FDR has done for us this is personal and we should not have to pay extra for this. Just my opinion and would love to go to Cuba in the future when the time is right. :(:(:(

But will insurance cover port changes? I think not unless it is the most costly insurance that anyone can buy and I think most people do not buy. O should cover these extra costs because these changes are being done because Mr. FDR wants to go to Cuba and really does not care how much extra we are going to pay for him to do this. As much as I love O and the job Mr. FDR has done for us this is personal and we should not have to pay extra for this. Just my opinion and would love to go to Cuba in the future when the time is right. :(:(:(

I think you've got it wrong. Cruisers want to go to Cuba. There have been threads discussing this for the past few years. That's why so many cruise lines have just announced these itineraries. The time to go is right now, when you can see Cuba before it changes.

I am not talking about trip cancellation insurance. When you book airfare the airline will sell you insurance for a small fee in case your plans change. I don't think you need a reason to invoke it

Paul

I agree ports are changed all the time but I see this case as unique in that:

A. O is charging $125 for this new port. To not clutter up this post I'll address the amount of the fee later.

B. I can't think of many other ports that carry the emotion that visiting Cuba has for some people. There are some very unhappy travellers.

Also depending on the specifics of one's insurance policy a change of port might not be a condition to receive compensation except perhaps under Cancel for Any Reason. That coverage is often not just a few dollars more, might have specific requirements to be met such as it has to be purchased within a certain time frame, etc. and often does not pay out in full the loss and could be as low as only 50%. Insurance is a very tricky topic. Coverage, conditions, cost varies tremendously and only a careful review of a specific policy can give the correct answer and I cannot give that answer and these are just general comments. YMMV

Edited by YoHoHo

Paul

I agree with you in general.

However, in this case where one person is allowed to cancel w/o penalty and financial loss (probably because they have O air) while another on the same cruise may lose money b/o their own air - Oceania MIGHT, but doesn't have to, consider some compensation.

Just a thought

As you have posted previously, you are not interested in 'a day and Havana' (my words) but would want a circumnavigation. Yes that would be great but would also be a considerably different cruise than adding a single stop in Cuba to the rest of a Caribbean itinerary.

I'm sure there are many people who would like to have Havana added to a Caribbean itinerary that would have zero interest in a circumnavigation.

But to address your point about the fee, I suspect by the time they have an itinerary with a circumnavigation that you might consider you won't even notice this $125 fee (or whatever it is that they finally charge) as it will be hidden in the rest of the taxes and fees that we never see a breakdown.

When that happens it all may be more palatable.

However, in this case where one person is allowed to cancel w/o penalty and financial loss (probably because they have O air) while another on the same cruise may lose money b/o their own air - Oceania MIGHT, but doesn't have to, consider some compensation.

Just a thought

That's true of every o cruise. Some use o air and others do not. There is always risk of port changes. When you buy your own air you know of that risk

The cruise line is not our insurer. The fact that people can cancel with no penalty is all the cruise line should have to do. They are not the insurer of your air arrangements

Just a thought

That is always the case though when someone chooses to book their own air. They can choose to cancel the cruise, depending on the time with or without penalty, but there could be considerable cost in cancelling their air. But that is something that they would have to consider when they make the decision to purchase air on their own.

I think you've got it wrong. Cruisers want to go to Cuba. There have been threads discussing this for the past few years. That's why so many cruise lines have just announced these itineraries. The time to go is right now, when you can see Cuba before it changes.

rid=76452]Forums[/url]

Exactly. Thank you, FDR, for providing this opportunity for your cruisers.

The Royal Caribbean cruisers are over-the-moon thrilled that they are going to Cuba next spring. RCI received approval at the same time that NCL did.

Both CEOs must be thrilled, both personally and professionally. Make no mistake---this is a business opportunity that invigorates the waning interest in the same-old, same-old Caribbean cruises that nearly every line does week after week after week and season after season...

My apologies this is very long and all I have on this subject. I am not picking on you and I almost always agree with your post Paulchili but your post gives me an opportunity to share what I know. And like many posters had trouble with this fee. It's surprising sometimes how a small thing can become such a painful issue. I am absolutely confirmed to be on the March 31 sailing and very happy to be so. To me it would be silly and a missed opportunity to cancel our $8000 trip due to the (forced) $250 (we never sail alone) fee.

I disagree because the OP in question has the option to cancel WITHOUT any penalty and they should do so if they are not happy. That is a very fair offer from Oceania.

For those still struggling with this, some are fortunate in that they are only in the administration fee penalty phase. If we were to cancel for reasons other than this fee, and therefore not so annoyed that we will not cruise on O again as some seem to be, we could use that $500 towards a future cruise. So no penalty as you say. There is apparently a past pax who won't cruise on O again because they get too much mail. And there are those who appear to want to cancel over the new fee. And those who will absolutely not go to Cuba. If they are like to the 'too much mail' poster then would lose the $500.

But those on the March 7 cruise are at the 84 day mark today and so a 25% of full fare penalty and that's not insignificant.

Yes, the choice is still theirs and anyone could cancel and suck up any penalty from $0 to $500 to $1000's.

If they wish to stay then they have to accept the new terms, including the extra fees, over which Oceania most likely has no control.
I absolutely agree that it is up to us to decide if we want to accept those new terms and that we do have a choice. From my research though I disagree that Oceania has no control over the amount of the fee.

As I've mentioned, I believe the cruise lines will simply bury this in their taxes and fees in the future. They did not have the opportunity to do it in this case. In Canada airlines and vacation providers sending holidaymakers to Varadero resorts do exactly that. I checked one airline and saw that in their taxes and fees break down they charge CAD $16. Airlines are not known to absorb such things so I expect this to be the cost. Granted that does not include the insurance. But at the airport they sell Cuban medical insurance for $3-$4.50 per day depending on the amount of coverage wanted.

I acknowledge that:

A. This is new to all the cruise lines and they likely do not have things in place where they can get tourist cards 'in bulk' at a significantly reduced price at this time.

B. O has not said what the final price will actually be.

C. the cruise lines administration cost is likely fairly high processing these for the first time.

Discalimer: In fairness to my earlier statements about the extremely low price that can be had through the airline, I personally as a Canadian could not get a tourist card myself for that price without going through the airline. If I wanted to get one individually I would have to get it through the Cuban Consulate and that would cost CAD $25. But being as there is none locally I would have to pay an additional CAD $40 to be processed through the mail. Add in another $10-$20 for prepaid trackable postage and it would cost me perhaps CAD $85 (USD $65) each.

But further to that this is within O control, they could choose to charge nothing and absorb it, or they could choose to charge the same $75 that Azamara is. I assume RCL's will be a similar amount. I am hoping that that is what O will do and not put an apparent markup on a forced fee. I fully acknowledge that I do not have any idea of what their actual costs are and it my assumption there is a markup and not a certainty.

PS - in the case of the poster who already had purchased their airfare, they potentially stand to lose money and I could see where it might be fair for Oceania to compensate them for the airfare (in some way - cash or credit).
I think in fairness if they were to compensate those who took the risk and will suffer the airlines penalties, then they should also compensate their customers who will lose money through O's own penalties, i.e. waive the $250 administration fee. (But then why would they if the customer really will never purchase an O cruise again and so reject a future cruise credit.)

+1 x2

Exactly. Thank you, FDR, for providing this opportunity for your cruisers.

The Royal Caribbean cruisers are over-the-moon thrilled that they are going to Cuba next spring. RCI received approval at the same time that NCL did.

Both CEOs must be thrilled, both personally and professionally. Make no mistake---this is a business opportunity that invigorates the waning interest in the same-old, same-old Caribbean cruises that nearly every line does week after week after week and season after season...

Agree with you completely. I've had very little cruising in Caribbean and had not a lot of interest for the long flight from here. Airlines have taken so much fun out of flying now so we weigh the destination vs. discomfort factor. As you say, the addtion of Cuba will make for interesting itineraries.

I agree ports are changed all the time but I see this case as unique in that:

A. O is charging $125 for this new port.

Technically, O is not charging $125 for a new port. O is serving as the facilitator for everyone to purchase required Cuban Medical Insurance. We all agree that Canadians are getting caught up in a requirement imposed on US citizens, and the obvious solution is for them to cancel their booking. (Other posters have already written that it is possible to do so with no financial penalty.) However, for Americans the medical insurance is a non-negotiable requirement. In fact, proof of Cuban medical insurance is one of the required documents visitors arriving by plane must present at Immigration Control. I would not be surprised to learn that cruisers have to do the same thing before coming on the island.

I simply don't understand the extreme irritation the Medical Insurance situation has created in this thread. We're used to requirements to enter other countries. Some requirements are minimal: The visitor must hold a current US passport. Some are a bit more demanding: A passport must be valid six months beyond the last date of the visitor's planned departure. Then, the requirements begin to escalate: Some countries require visitors purchase individual visas, a cost that typically is much higher than $125, particularly if you use a visa service to do the job.

The most intrusive requirement I can think of is proof of current Yellow Fever Vaccination which means getting a shot for many travelers. You may come to a different conclusion, but I was much more concerned about the side effects of the Yellow Fever Vaccine than the cost of the required Cuban medical insurance and I've done both. The vaccine for a cruise and the Cuban insurance for a land trip.

If the disadvantages of visiting Cuba outweigh the advantages, there is a straightforward solution.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Technically, O is not charging $125 for a new port. O is serving as the facilitator for everyone to purchase required Cuban Medical Insurance.

Yes, they are not charging for a port; poor wording on my part. As you say O, is charging a fee to facilitate us to vist that port. Azamara is also changing a fee: $75 for the tourist card (no mention of insurance). O is charging $125 for the tourist card and insurance. I expect the service to be the same.

... for everyone to purchase required Cuban Medical Insurance.
I don't know from where the cruise lines are purchasing this insurance. Cuban medical insurance can be purchased for $3 per day from Cuba insurance company. I would supply a link but that might not be allowed. This link does sell the insurance so that might not be allowed for US citizens but I understand Cuban medical insurance can be purchased at the airport (cost unknown but expect it to be similar) and do not have it verified that it can be purchased at the cruise port.

Whether or not it can be purchased elsewhere, by who, from whom and from where is a non-issue in this case as we must purchase it through O. Again, just to supply information.

I never wanted to debate the amount of money. It is clarity. A long time back it was suggested that the fee charge is out of O's hands. And that is the rub. It appears to me it is not. But still it is not the money per se; anyone on the cruise has $125.

In any case, as I've said, unlike those who do not want to visit Cuba at all and this fee is an addtional pain, I am paying whatever fee O decides to charge (up to $137.50 in case anyone gets ideas :), I'm booked on the cruise and will soon happily be going to Cuba on Marina. My posts were to mainly to provide what I had learned and to correct some information (okay, also some opinion). And now I am done.

Edited by YoHoHo

While this has been an interesting thread to say the least, believe everyone agrees that there are extra costs to go to Cuba, it is the amount of extra charges that is in question.

One important issue has seemed to have been overlooked. In order to add Cuba to the cruises, one or more other ports have been cancelled. These ports also have port charges that were presumably included in the fare prior to the cruise change in ports. Wouldn't it be appropriate for changes to be made to the customers fares to credit those port fees and taxes to the cruisers account while adding in the Cuban port fees and taxes??

While when O misses a port there in the past have not been credits for these missed ports, in this case the port changes are known months in advance in addition to the added Cuban port so seems appropriate that if a new port is added with additional port fees and taxes, port fees and taxes for removed ports should be credited as well which, if done would mitigate some of the Cuban costs??

Edited by rallydave

One important issue has seemed to have been overlooked. In order to add Cuba to the cruises, one or more other ports have been cancelled. These ports also have port charges that were presumably included in the fare prior to the cruise change in ports. Wouldn't it be appropriate for changes to be made to the customers fares to credit those port fees and taxes to the cruisers account while adding in the Cuban port fees and taxes??

Cruise lines are not required to provide a breakdown of the fees and taxes, so all they have to say is that they have already done what you suggested and $125 is the net difference between the old and the new itineraries.

Since we are not privy to the calculation, how do we know those deductions were not factored in?

Since it is known that the entry card is $25 and the costs for insurance are minimal as well as people complaining that the $125 for Cuba is excessive and no mention of the $125 being a net difference between the old and new itinerary, it appears likely, but, not certain the missed port credits were not factored in.

Since it is known that the entry card is $25 and the costs for insurance are minimal as well as people complaining that the $125 for Cuba is excessive and no mention of the $125 being a net difference between the old and new itinerary, it appears likely, but, not certain the missed port credits were not factored in.
But we have no idea how much the port fees are for Cuba. It's possible that they are much higher than other Caribbean ports (there have been discussions about this on the fathom board). They need money, and they know that a lot of people are willing to pay to go to Cuba. They may be communists, but they know how the free market works…

I remember reading on one of the other lines that go to Cuba that US Citizens had to pay the fee for the P2P tours which are mandatory for US citizens in order to visit Cuba

Maybe this is part of the equation

Unfortunately other citizens leaving from a US port are now lumped in with the regulations of the US requirements under OFAC's general license

Whether Non US citizens need to keep a record is unclear