Speed of drink delivery in MDR

New to Royal and considering a drink package. How well does it work in the MDR? I know from other lines that it can take a while to get a glass or bottle of wine while at dinner. Same true (or worse?) if one has a package? I typically like a glass of white with the appetizer and red with entree/dessert. Will this work (from a sped/service standpoint).

Also, what's the story on the 10-drink cards? I've seen some posts discussing them but nothing on cruise line website (at least that I could find). I'd love to be able to buy those instead of the package.

Thanks in advance!

New to Royal and considering a drink package. How well does it work in the MDR? I know from other lines that it can take a while to get a glass or bottle of wine while at dinner. Same true (or worse?) if one has a package? I typically like a glass of white with the appetizer and red with entree/dessert. Will this work (from a sped/service standpoint).

Also, what's the story on the 10-drink cards? I've seen some posts discussing them but nothing on cruise line website (at least that I could find). I'd love to be able to buy those instead of the package.

Thanks in advance!

No problem...your drinks will come in plenty of time ;)

The drink card can only be purchased onboard and when and if and how much can vary from ship to ship & sailing to sailing...that decision is made internally on each ship.

Thanks in advance!

We find the drink service in the MDR to be slowwwwwwwwwwwww. I would bring my white wine into the MDR with me and then order my red.

We find the drink service in the MDR to be slowwwwwwwwwwwww. I would bring my white wine into the MDR with me and then order my red.

My hubby thinks that would be tacky but I'm game. I like to sip and savor while I peruse the menu vice waiting until halfway through the app to get the glass of white. (First world problems!)

We've done Carnival in the past and they require both adults in cabin to purchase package. Hence we've not done a package before. Hubby thinks it would be odd for me to have a package and him not (he'd rather we order a bottle of wine every night if we both want to partake). I like the package so I can try new things and not worry about cost or waste (i.e. if I don't like a particular drink). Will we be scrutinized if only one of us has a package?

Bummer re the card! Thanks all!

My hubby thinks that would be tacky but I'm game. I like to sip and savor while I peruse the menu vice waiting until halfway through the app to get the glass of white. (First world problems!)

There is absolutely nothing tacky about using your package to pick up a glass of white wine at a bar and carrying it to your table in the dining room. You will see many many many people doing this.

We've done Carnival in the past and they require both adults in cabin to purchase package. Hence we've not done a package before. Hubby thinks it would be odd for me to have a package and him not (he'd rather we order a bottle of wine every night if we both want to partake). I like the package so I can try new things and not worry about cost or waste (i.e. if I don't like a particular drink). Will we be scrutinized if only one of us has a package?

Many people carry a drink into the MDR since people have free drink vouchers based on their loyalty level that can't be used in the MDR. So, you get your drink before you go in.:)

As far as only one of you with a package, as long as you aren't sharing the package, then no problem.

No..No one cares or will scrutinize you...RCI doesn't require both of you purchase their drink package...Wait until you're onboard and make your decision no need to pre-purchase. Also don't consider it "tacky" to bring your own wine to the dining room or WJ (buffet)....lot's will be doing this.

No..No one cares or will scrutinize you...RCI doesn't require both of you purchase their drink package...Wait until you're onboard and make your decision no need to pre-purchase. Also don't consider it "tacky" to bring your own wine to the dining room or WJ (buffet)....lot's will be doing this.

Just re-read this post...so I shouldn't be pressured by pricing now? Currently 20% off (believe it's 33/44/49). I was feeling some pressure....

Just re-read this post...so I shouldn't be pressured by pricing now? Currently 20% off (believe it's 33/44/49). I was feeling some pressure....

You will not get that discount on board, so if you think you are going to buy a package, you should do it before you board.

I like to have a cocktail when I'm seated and wine with the meal. Its not a great system for that. The bartender and the waiter are always waiting for the seapass card. From my experience its not very speedy service.

I like to have a cocktail when I'm seated and wine with the meal. Its not a great system for that. The bartender and the waiter are always waiting for the seapass card. From my experience its not very speedy service.

That's what I was concerned about in my original post. Will they bring you another glass if current glass is not finished? (I'm beginning to think I might have a problem as I'm focused so much on alcohol!)

Sorry didn't know about a discount being offered (I never buy it at all..happy with my D+ drink perks)....the recent pricing onboard was 39/49/59...so yes if you're sure you want it...buy it ;)

That's what I was concerned about in my original post. Will they bring you another glass if current glass is not finished? (I'm beginning to think I might have a problem as I'm focused so much on alcohol!)

The experience can vary depending on your servers. Some report excellent service. Some report difficult service. It is impossible to predict from here, and now.

But my best advice to you is to arrive on the first night, and speak to the waitstaff and make your desires and expectations very clear.

Even though gratuities are included in your package price, and on each drink, a little cash with these instructions may go a long way towards a happy, happy cruise. ;)

The experience can vary depending on your servers. Some report excellent service. Some report difficult service. It is impossible to predict from here, and now.

But my best advice to you is to arrive on the first night, and speak to the waitstaff and make your desires and expectations very clear.

Even though gratuities are included in your package price, and on each drink, a little cash with these instructions may go a long way towards a happy, happy cruise. ;)

Thank you Merion and all for being so kind tonight; I appreciate all the advice!

We were on Freedom in March, seated with another family of 3. The other family were in a suite and the woman had purchased Ultimate.

First night she ordered a drink from the DRINKS server (different guy than our server or assistant, and we only saw him twice a night if we got there in time to see her make her order) and it got there fairly quickly. Her slip to sign got there later.

Over the course of the cruise he was harder and harder to find. The big problem is that by the 2nd night he was just leaving that drink on the table, and she didn't want it. She dealt with it until night 3 when she absolutely did not want that same drink. We waited and waited for him.

Can't remember what night, but I ordered a drink, she did, and DH ordered a virgin pina colada, and first it took what felt like 1000 years for the drinks person to show up (he apparently left the ship b/c his vacation time started? on the 5th day of the cruise????), then another 500 for the drinks, and then they didn't bring the slips (I needed to PAY) until we were done with dessert.

Let's go back to the other family was in a suite and she had Ultimate. Oh and they were way higher than us in level, but they got lousy service. But so did I, and I was paying for my drink. I would have ordered more drinks but I never even saw the guy until one night, and I was able to order my drink. Would have ordered more if I'd seen him.

I'll be bringing my drinks in, thank you.

My favorite white (moscato) was not available in the MDR unless I bought a bottle. I would go to the Schooner bar and bring it in every night. The key was not spilling it in on the stairs lol

Gotta do what ya gotta do! :D

If the bar server is no where to be seen, I tell one of the waiters that I require a drink, not had a problem so far.

If I ever did I would go and get drinks from a near by bar.

We like to buy our dinner bottle of wine from Vintages whenever our ship has one. Their wine list is more extensive and the wine tenders in there are very knowledgeable. They have the DR menu and can advise us on a bottle that will complement our choices, especially when we each plan on a different entree. We can order a white wine for the first course and carry that and the bottle of red to the DR with us. Now that there is no sommelier in the DR, the only knowledgeable person in wine/food pairing is in Vintages.

If we do not finish our bottle, we take it with us. We have no problem finishing it and usually end up sharing with friends. Surprisingly, we seem to make lots of friends.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app