Do You Get Insurance?

CozGurl

Your questions lead me to believe that you don't really understand the insurance you do get when you do purchase it.

Every insurance policy is different in coverages. What works for me may not work for you.

I don't get insurance through the vendor that I purchase my travel from.

May I recommend that you read through the insurance forum on this website.

I don't care about my low cruise costs, so I don't insure that, but, I do have an annual travel medical insurance policy, with evacuation coverage. Came in darn handy when I was 11 days in a Barcelona Hospital. :) I have had this type of policy for several years. Different companies. Compared policies, via insure my trip.

Yes we always buy an insurance policy for our cruises, after a near miss several years ago. We nearly missed the ship due to an unexpected storm closing the airport down for several hours. We ended up making it, but were in panic mode until we boarded the ship.

We buy this through an outside company, not the cruise line because of a lower cost. A general policy can cover medical expenses, trip cancellations, trip delays, lost luggage etc. Peace of mind is worth every penny we pay.

I use www.insuremytrip.com to find a policy for my cruises. My main concern is medical expenses and medical evacuation but it's nice to know if something happens and we can't go on the cruise we get that money back, too. We don't travel frequently enough to have a yearly plan but maybe someday:).

It depends on the trip. For a short, relatively inexpensive trip I'll usually rely on the coverage provided by my credit card company. It usually covers trip cancellation and delay.

On something longer and/or more expensive or remote, I'd look into third-party insurance. Specifically for the medical evacuation mentioned earlier. I don't particularly want to get stuck in the hospital in a less-developed country.

We always get the insurance. I can eat the cost of the cruise but getting sick or injured out of the country is a different matter. Evacuation from a ship, hospital and ambulance, and remember, you won't be flying home SW on a stretcher...For us we use cruise line insurance but like others point out there are better deals.

Please consider shopping at agency mentioned..it is amazing how little covers so much and even living at home with a good hospital...we have had several life flight family things..insure medical and evac first...then something that is tailored to your needs and how much of missed trip you can cover is best. It can be maddening to always have to add things on but when in the habit it gets budgeted and could save you from something beyond fathomable until you see the bill...or hospital you do or do not or can or can not stay in.....out of country. Also I feel it is best to have third party insurance...that nobody is getting a kick back from...hence online agency...easy to read and navigate.

Yes...I do now and should have always. I have been fortunate to learn through family and others.

Edited by sjn911

When we fly to a resort we always get some sort of insurance. Do you buy it for your cruise? Do you buy it through Carnival at check out or do you get it elsewhere?

We get our insurance when we book the cruise. We purchase through TravelGuard and we get the Gold Plan. We wold never think of stepping outside our front door without it when we travel. I don't recommend purchasing it through Carnival as you can get better deals elsewhere. Go to insuremytrip.com and pick one.

You never know when a family emergency will come up & you need to cancel your cruise at the last minute or when you will have some type of medical emergency while traveling. We always get insurance when traveling outside the USA. Our regular health insurance will cover us anywhere within the USA.

We get travel insurance on every trip and consider it a small cost of the vacation. No way would I want our savings wiped out due to a medical emergency. For us, it's not about insuring the cruise fare, although that is helpful if needed. Things happen. I also have insurance on my home even though it isn't mandatory:)

**Following**

We started getting the Vacation Protection through Carnival after our 2nd cruise. The way it was explained to us, it just made sense to get it for all the "protection" it provides. Mainly, if something happened to one of us while on board or onshore in a foreign country, missing the ship or if we fell ill or had to be airlifted to a hospital etc...

As the years have gone by, we've been told additional things by PVPs and others: ; vacation protection insurance would also cover theft/loss; if your belongings were stolen on the beach while in port you are covered or if your Camera was damaged (dropped in the water) or something like that you would be reimbursed. These additional coverage items made the cost of the vacation protection seem even more appealing although I've never seen actual documentation stating any of the "additional" coverages.

I had never looked into travel insurance through an outside source. I just got a quote through insuremytrip.com and it looks like we would be better off going through them. Better coverage; provides everything that Carnival's Vacation Protection offers (plus more) for almost $200 less for 5 people.

Yes, I buy it elsewhere. The main reason for me is in case of a medical evacuation the cost can be very high. It also helped when the ship I was sailing on was delayed by a day. It provided hotel accommodations and food for that day.

I use insuremytrip .com and choose the coverage based on the type of trip. I was medically evacuated once off a ship and my total evac bills were over $28,000... Needless to say, I NEVER leave home without it! I figure my trip insurance costs are more than paid for!!

Never. We drive down to Florida and have made every trip and lost zero luggage.

Travel insurance is SO much more to me than that. If you are hurt or a medical emergency happens and disembarked from the ship at a foreign port would you just self insure? I dont have that kinda money and most health insurance will not cover out of the country. Medical evac off the ship can cost at least $25,000 or more alone

Edited by ryano

We always buy third party insurance through Travel Safe that is not subrogated to any other policy we have. No need to file claims you know won't get paid with health insurance company etc. so payment from Travel Safe is quick and painless.

Life tends to throw curve balls at the most inopportune time. We have had to file 4 claims because 1. a parent had a heart attack, 2. kids were sick and we couldn't leave them, 3. DH ended up in the hospital 4. We missed a connection in London. In that case they paid for all our meals, phone calls, and a very expensive night in a hotel until the airline could get us on a flight the next day. It turned out great because the airline upgraded us to business class since there were no economy seats available for days.

Insurance is a personal decision, if an individual sees the value of said policy that is the right answer for them.

We spend our money (or don't) and take our chances with what we've purchased (or haven't).

Edited by Viesczy

Never. We drive down to Florida and have made every trip and lost zero luggage.

Aside from the driving to port and lost luggage, there is the issue of a medical emergency that is important when you are on vacation. That is the kind of stuff that you will want to be covered on and have a plan in place. Also, in the case of having to cancel at some point especially close to the trip departure date, these are things you can make sure you have a backup to recoup some of your money should that happen.

Anyone can fall and break a bone or have some other medical issue while on a cruise, that is the stuff that you will want to make sure you are covered for outside the USA. Also, should you or a family member you are with need to be sent home from a foreign hospital for medical treatment you will not want to be without coverage, it happens! Many foreign hospitals will not admit a person with payment up front so you will want to have coverage for that as well instead of putting it on a credit card or paying cash.

We would not travel without it but we never use the cruise lines to purchase it. Outside vender like Insuremytrip.com is worth it.