RCI ships now docking at Crown Bay in St. Thomas

That's what I read on the place that cannot be named. I've been researching Crown Bay yesterday and today -- I think they will add more shops. Maybe it will also have less traffic. And anyway, our future cruises out of Port C will be on Oasis so they have to dock at Crown Bay anyway. Maybe we'd take the ferry from Crown Bay to Water Island to check it out.
I also read that that Captain Espen Been confirmed the move as permanent. As I posted earlier, RCI signed a two year deal with St. Thomas's Port Authority to dock all ships at Crown Bay unless there is no room in which case, they will dock at Havensight.

I also read that that Captain Espen Been confirmed the move as permanent. As I posted earlier, RCI signed a two year deal with St. Thomas's Port Authority to dock all ships at Crown Bay unless there is no room in which case, they will dock at Havensight.

Currently on the Freedom. Absolutely can confirm that Captain Been said this morning at breakfast with senior officers (actually sat next to him) that it was a corporate decision that Royal made concerning CB.

Tim

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There is a little bar in the Havensight mall that makes the BEST bloody mary we have ever enjoyed. That is the highlight of our stop. I shop, DH sits on the benches, and when I am done shopping, we head to the bar - and enjoy 1 or 2 or 3 bloody marys. ;)

I like the shopping at Havensight. There is a liquor store just outside the gate that delivers to the ship that is a favorite. :D

I love that store, great prices. Much better than downtown.

Anyway we like Havensight. But to be fair I don't remember ever visiting Crown Bay. So I really don't know if this is a negative.

I haven't seen your apology to Sherri yet. Just saying.

We need to apologize for righteous-at-the-time statements? The OP said something without any sort of proof or explanation or anything. The only thing we knew here was that it had happened once. All that needed to happen was for the OP to include how they knew! Easy.

IMO, no apologies needed.

Except to the businesses around the port who will now have less business. We ate the best meal of any cruise at Barefoot Buddha just outside of the port, and we shopped for our new house (the inspection was being done while we were on the cruise, so we only HOPED it was our new house at the time) at the adorable giftshop attached to it. I wanted to go there and have a grilled wrap (I am, for some reason, irrationally biased against wraps, but I took a chance, and the grilling of it changed everything). Sigh.

I love that store, great prices. Much better than downtown.

Anyway we like Havensight. But to be fair I don't remember ever visiting Crown Bay. So I really don't know if this is a negative.

I can't really think of much that is a positive of CB over Havensight. The article talks about an increase in port fees so I can't figure out what RCI is gaining by agreeing to this deal. Though it sounds like a good deal for Princess's passengers as I guess they will now be going to Havensight.

Maybe each cruise line needs to take its turn being banished to CB.:rolleyes:

We need to apologize for righteous-at-the-time statements? The OP said something without any sort of proof or explanation or anything. The only thing we knew here was that it had happened once. All that needed to happen was for the OP to include how they knew! Easy.

IMO, your post came off as rude and inconsiderate. It's possible someone might know more than you. If you were curious about the OP's sources, wouldn't it make more sense to ask that question that to make a "rush to judgement" that you criticize the OP for making her own "rush to judgement"?

While we didn't hear it directly from the captain, we were also on this cruise, heard from multiple sources (other passengers and our excursion provider) about the change that Royal ships will be docking at CB.

Freedom was the only ship in St. Thomas that day.

Too many posts to quote.

Responses to some of them:

Havensight has, oh, 10 times more stores than Crown Bay.

Havensight has a very nice walk into town. Maybe you CAN walk from Crown Bay, but it is farther and far from scenic.

Those are the plusses for Havensight.

Here are the negatives for Havensight, IMO, and MO only.

Too many people get off the ship and never leave Havensight. They are missing out on the rest of the island. When you dock at Crown Bay, there is considerably less incentive to do that. ;)

Here is one plus for Crown Bay: If you leave the immediate pier area, and walk over to the Yacht Club, there is a fabulous grocery store there.

http://www.crownbay.com/services/

:)

Too many posts to quote.

Here is one plus for Crown Bay: If you leave the immediate pier area, and walk over to the Yacht Club, there is a fabulous grocery store there.

Love that grocery store! The selection of wine is amazing for where it is. I couldn't believe I was looking at over $600.00 bottles of wine. Not that I knew if they were good or not. Just interesting.

The walk there is very nice.

This is some of the crew's favorite store to go to while in port.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

Too many posts to quote.

Responses to some of them:

Havensight has, oh, 10 times more stores than Crown Bay.

Havensight has a very nice walk into town. Maybe you CAN walk from Crown Bay, but it is farther and far from scenic.

Those are the plusses for Havensight.

Here are the negatives for Havensight, IMO, and MO only.

Too many people get off the ship and never leave Havensight. They are missing out on the rest of the island. When you dock at Crown Bay, there is considerably less incentive to do that. ;)

See, this looks a lot more useful to me than the diamonds/liquor/cigarettes at Havensight, but I'm obviously the wrong kind of Caribbean shopper. :)

Edited by AdoraBelle

Theres a water taxi to Water Island/ Honeymoon beach from CB. You'd never be able to get on it if an entire freedom class ship or bigger docks there. It seats maybe 30 all scrunched up. If someone was smart they would start a water taxi service to Water Island with a stop at Havensight. They'd make a fortune.

Edited by wilmingtech

If you read my original post, I did have a source but as I posted, it is one that can't be mentioned on Cruise Critic. Subsequent posts on that source and on Cruise Critic (particularly this thread) have added more information. I did not want to get a scolding from the moderators for mentioning my source.

I have only been to Havensight. I was planning to take a taxi to Secret Harbor from Havensight. My research showed $10 pp. Where do I get a taxi from Crown Bay & will it cost more? I don't walk well so am not able to walk into town.

If you read my original post, I did have a source but as I posted, it is one that can't be mentioned on Cruise Critic. Subsequent posts on that source and on Cruise Critic (particularly this thread) have added more information. I did not want to get a scolding from the moderators for mentioning my source.

The information lockdowns here are always so refreshing.

(Not your fault.)

You can say the word FACEBOOK on Cruise Critic. You just can't post links or advertise FB roll calls.

I have only been to Havensight. I was planning to take a taxi to Secret Harbor from Havensight. My research showed $10 pp. Where do I get a taxi from Crown Bay & will it cost more? I don't walk well so am not able to walk into town.

There are hundreds of taxis (really open air jeep truck thingies) waiting to take you almost anywhere.

There are hundreds of taxis (really open air jeep truck thingies) waiting to take you almost anywhere.

Thanks, Merion_Mom. That is a relief. I have been to St Thomas twice & am trying something different this time. I tried to do my research & it showed taking a taxi. I did not realize there was a different dock for Oasis until this thread. Thank heavens for CC! Now I can breath & look forward for something different.