RCI ships now docking at Crown Bay in St. Thomas

I can't really think of much that is a positive of CB over Havensight. The article talks about an increase in port fees so I can't figure out what RCI is gaining by agreeing to this deal. Though it sounds like a good deal for Princess's passengers as I guess they will now be going to Havensight.

Maybe each cruise line needs to take its turn being banished to CB.:rolleyes:

The press release says RCCL not just RCI. So it probably means Celebrity will also dock at CB?

Follow the money, it's probably cheaper to dock at Crown Bay.

someone in a facebook group said that the hotel director on board Freedom had reported this as permanent. So it MUST BE true. :rolleyes:

Someone make a note to check again in 2 weeks. ;) I'm neutral on the subject having my first cruise stop at Havensight in 2006, and then being at Crown Point in 2011, 13, and 16. Havensite did and appears to still have better shopping close to the ship, but otherwise, I don't care that much, Plenty of taxis at both.

Who knows for sure and the OP did say it came from the hotel director. That said, we've gone to St. John on our last few cruises to St. Thomas so either one is fine with me.

Since you bring up St Johns, I will mention and this is only one experience, When I took a cab out of Crown Bay to Coki, we had people in our cab that were going to St John, our Cab driver(s) stopped at Havensite to pick up more people and on the way back, dropped them off their first. FWIW.

If you read my original post, I did have a source but as I posted, it is one that can't be mentioned on Cruise Critic. Subsequent posts on that source and on Cruise Critic (particularly this thread) have added more information. I did not want to get a scolding from the moderators for mentioning my source.

I thank you for all of the posts, and I do recognize the need to watch what you say regarding the (so wonderful) moderators and not wanting to say the wrong thing, but mentioning a source? Perhaps you have received such a warning. I know I have for the oddest things. Of course talking about moderation is one of those things, so here comes my bad boy point.

I thank you for all of the posts, and I do recognize the need to watch what you say regarding the (so wonderful) moderators and not wanting to say the wrong thing, but mentioning a source? Perhaps you have received such a warning. I know I have for the oddest things. Of course talking about moderation is one of those things, so here comes my bad boy point.

Hmm. I never see a warning. My messages just disappear as though they've been snatched up by the men in dark vans. Who we also can't discuss. Just kidding on that last part.

Or am I?

But yeah, my posts get deleted. Sometimes I know which vaguely-implemented rule I may have broken, sometimes all I have is a guess and an empty spot in a thread.

This one will probably be deleted because: First rule of fight club.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Which port has the famous " Kmart" ? Near the sky trams? We stopped at this port on our first Disney cruise years ago. Booze was the cheapest we have seen in the Caribbean. We followed crew members up the hill to find it! Is that Crown bay? Why do I remember a different name?

Last year on Royal ( Independance) we were in a much busier port, with all kinds of shops , right across the street from the boat . Havensight, then, I assume? We walked on to our excursion boat ( Turtle snorkel on a pirate looking ship) right there from the dock. We preferred this port much more. We did try to walk to the Kmart from this port ( lol- didn't realize it was a completely different port! ) Totally got lost , and almost hit by cars on a narrow road.

Wondering now, with this post what will happen next year. We will be on the Jewel. Any guesses as to which port? And if it is Havensight, is there an easy way to the Kmart? Or just cab it there? Thanks!

As we walked to the taxi stand, I saw signs for wifi, and there was at least one bar at CB.

Yes, there is a small shopping area with pharmacy, obligatory liquor, jewelry and T shirt shop as well as internet cafe.

Thanks for your information!

Which port has the famous " Kmart" ? Near the sky trams? We stopped at this port on our first Disney cruise years ago. Booze was the cheapest we have seen in the Caribbean. We followed crew members up the hill to find it! Is that Crown bay? Why do I remember a different name?

Last year on Royal ( Independance) we were in a much busier port, with all kinds of shops , right across the street from the boat . Havensight, then, I assume? We walked on to our excursion boat ( Turtle snorkel on a pirate looking ship) right there from the dock. We preferred this port much more. We did try to walk to the Kmart from this port ( lol- didn't realize it was a completely different port! ) Totally got lost , and almost hit by cars on a narrow road.

Wondering now, with this post what will happen next year. We will be on the Jewel. Any guesses as to which port? And if it is Havensight, is there an easy way to the Kmart? Or just cab it there? Thanks!

Havensight.

Jewel = Havensight, Oasis = CB ?

I am to understand that the docking is related to the class ship? Seems to me that Havensight is a nicer option. Never been to those ports....

Thanks, Carol, for all your info :)

Actually, I was answering his first question in the first paragraph.

If the information is to be believed, ALL RC ships will be using Crown Bay hereafter.

Actually, I was answering his first question in the first paragraph.

If the information is to be believed, ALL RC ships will be using Crown Bay hereafter.

Thanks for that. Yes I guess my paragraph was a bit wordy.

So Crown Bay is the nicer port close to shops and Havensight is close to the Kmart and sky tram. Got it.

So Crown Bay is the nicer port close to shops and Havensight is close to the Kmart and sky tram. Got it.

I'd say Havensight has many more shops nearby than Crown Bay.

No, I think very few people would describe Crown Bay as the nicer port. Havensight has the shops and proximity to the Paradise Point tram.

But in my experience (which admittedly was just the once!) the shops at Havensight were all diamonds, booze, cigs, and color changing whatever, right?

Whatever you are looking for, you have a better chance of finding it at Havensight than Crown Bay. And the types of shops that you describe applies to half, or more, of the stores in the Caribbean.

Looking past the SJW and the White Knighting, I think CB is nicer than Havensight in many ways.

If it's a 10 year deal, as reported, then the items built around Havensight will likely follow soon enough.

Princess used to dock in CB all the time in the mid 2000s, when we used to cruise with just them. The only time I have been to Havensight was on a Princess ship, and that was becasue one of Cunard's Liners was docked where the Oasis does today. Not much has changed with the stores from 2005 to today. The first time we were there they were just built. For some strange reason I don't think many stores will be added, espically since Oasis Class ships have been docking there for close to 7 years.

I remeber sitting on our balcony one afternoon, at the CB pier, watching them dredge by bucket the other side of the pier. That way 2 cruise ships could dock there at the same time. We were docked that day where Oasis docks and we were on a Princess ship. That would have been around 2007 or perhaps a bit later. The only time I have seen two ships at CB was an Oasis Class and a HAL ship and post dredging. It could happen more though.

These are just so random thoughts and observations about the CB Terminal/Pier from over the years that I have seen. I wonder if it wasn't used much for cruise ships prior to 2005, before ships really got big and cruising became more popular??

Edited by A&L_Ont

Since you bring up St Johns, I will mention and this is only one experience, When I took a cab out of Crown Bay to Coki, we had people in our cab that were going to St John, our Cab driver(s) stopped at Havensite to pick up more people and on the way back, dropped them off their first. FWIW.

They were probably taking the ferry out of Red Hook which leaves every hour and is cheaper than the excursion. It's one of the few times we do a ship's excursion. The ferry pulls up to the cruise ship pier. I know it costs more but it eliminates the taxi ride which could be an adventure in itself.

They were probably taking the ferry out of Red Hook which leaves every hour and is cheaper than the excursion. It's one of the few times we do a ship's excursion. The ferry pulls up to the cruise ship pier. I know it costs more but it eliminates the taxi ride which could be an adventure in itself.

We took the local bus from Charlotte Amalie over to Red Hook and back. Now that was an adventure but fun.