Cpap traveler and new water policy

ginaf

We are leaving next week on breakaway...after over 20 cruises with ncl this is the first time we are worried about bringing water on the boat for Dh Cpap machine. We always bring a case of nestle purified water. I called the access desk several times and ncl help desk and they stated it will not be an issue to bring the water as long as it's sealed. According to the help desk it has been noted on my reservation. My question is once the porters take my luggage thru how will they know it's been approved? Should I take water with the machine as a carry on thru security? I can't get a definite answer from ncl

I'd check it and label it as such. It shouldn't be a problem.

Can I bring water or soda on board?

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

I would carry it with you because the fact that you are bringing a entire case of water could cause security to misunderstand. I also use a CPAP machine and these machines only require a small amount of water ( perhaps one liter for the entire week) - so that may cause security to question why you are bringing on an entire case of water. By the way, NCL does provide distilled water for CPAP machines if arranged with the Access Desk in advance. That's what I do and there is always a gallon of distilled water in the cabin when I arrive. (Still almost full at the end of the week!) So, it may be simply the quantity of water you are bringing that will be a security issue , so I think you are better off keeping the water with you.

I'd check it and label it as such. It shouldn't be a problem.

Can I bring water or soda on board?

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Based on this I would make sure that the water and the CPAP machine are kept with each other during the boarding process so that they can see the machine. Don't bring more water than the machine will actually need for your cruise plus a couple of extra days. If it uses a liter during that time don't try to bring a case. If the water is separate it will likely be discarded. Make sure you take a printed copy of the policy with you.

Edited by zqvol

If you pack it in a bag, security will not remove it but you bag will likely be sent to the naughty room where you can recover it with documentation.

Best thing is carry it with something printed from NCL. Be aware that it might take a few minutes for them to verify this. They've haven't had to do this before so the process might be a bit disjointed.

As noted above though, if NCL will provide it onboard, even better.

Because I wasn't actually notified about this new policy (thank goodness for CC)I didn't contact access desk with the two time frame. I called again today and was told the nestle case of water will not be an issue . I will carry it with my machine. I didn't know they provided distilled after all these cruises 😔 During one of our earliest cruises the machine broke from using regular water and we will never do that again. Even at home we use nestle purified distilled wTer

We are leaving next week on breakaway...after over 20 cruises with ncl this is the first time we are worried about bringing water on the boat for Dh Cpap machine. We always bring a case of nestle purified water. I called the access desk several times and ncl help desk and they stated it will not be an issue to bring the water as long as it's sealed. According to the help desk it has been noted on my reservation. My question is once the porters take my luggage thru how will they know it's been approved? Should I take water with the machine as a carry on thru security? I can't get a definite answer from ncl

a) you should be bringing regular old distilled water for the cpap, NOT purified. Purified still contains minerals which is what will gunk up the cpap over time.

b) If you contact the special needs dept they will supply distilled water for the cpap onboard.

You should definitely use whatever water your CPAP machine manufacturer recommends (mine specifies distilled), but I have to admit I am curious what model & make of CPAP machine uses a case of water a week! ;)

The machine uses 2 bottles, the cruiser uses the other 22.

The access desk can provide you a bottle of distilled water on board free of charge. But, you need to arrange that ahead of time. That way there is no hassle going through security.

Purified is not distilled. Purified has minerals and salts put back into the water after the purification process to improve taste. You could be harming the machine by using this type of water.

Just bring a gallon bottle of sealed DISTILLED water since you state it is too late for you to notify the access desk.

Purified is not distilled. Purified has minerals and salts put back into the water after the purification process to improve taste. You could be harming the machine by using this type of water.

Just bring a gallon bottle of sealed DISTILLED water since you state it is too late for you to notify the access desk.

I'm guessing the OP knows why she is bring a case of purified water on and not distilled. Edited by NLH Arizona