Boarding again: P and O lies

Clodia

The "welcome" received by that poster was brought about by the way they tarred all P&O cruisers with the same brush. A comment that quite frankly showed no talent for being thoughtful, insightful or indeed intelligent.

You did not upset me at all, but you really should read posts before firing off.

If you read my original post you will see I said.... (the) thought of finding myself on a table with some, but by no means all, of the contributors to this thread leaves me totally cold.

Hardly tarring all P&O cruisers with the same brush!!

Interestingly when I wrote that paragraph you were not one of those I was thinking of as I typed 'some'.

I will resist commenting on your perception of my lack of insight or intelligence. ;)

As we say here in France - tant pis

CM

Edited by Corfe Mixture

You did not upset me at all, but you really should read posts before firing off.

If you read my original post you will see I said.... (the) thought of finding myself on a table with some, but by no means all, of the contributors to this thread leaves me totally cold.

Interestingly when I wrote that paragraph you were not one of those I was thinking of as I typed 'some'.

I will resist commenting on your perception of my lack of insight or intelligence. ;)

CM

Having read all of the recent posts I apologise if I immediately came to other P&O CC members' defence after your initial post. I can't remember you on the boards the last time you were around (I may have been over on Celebrity ;)) so thought that you were one of those 'new' members we seem to be getting who just appear, do a lot of general P&O bashing and then disappear.

Having now read that your favourite ship is Oceana I can see that you just may be 'ok' after all :D:D:D

Just to ask - is Oceana's sister ship more or less the same? We just love that atrium and sailing on her may be something to look in to.

Having read all of the recent posts I apologise if I immediately came to other P&O CC members' defence after your initial post. I can't remember you on the boards the last time you were around (I may have been over on Celebrity ;)) so thought that you were one of those 'new' members we seem to be getting who just appear, do a lot of general P&O bashing and then disappear.

Having now read that your favourite ship is Oceana I can see that you just may be 'ok' after all :D:D:D

Just to ask - is Oceana's sister ship more or less the same? We just love that atrium and sailing on her may be something to look in to.

Which one, there are another 3. But yes they are the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Which one, there are another 3. But yes they are the same.

I think it was Dawn Princess.

I was wondering if they are the 'shell' is the same, but the interior different - rather like the Royal Princess and Britannia. (If that makes sense) :)

I think it was Dawn Princess.

I was wondering if they are the 'shell' is the same, but the interior different - rather like the Royal Princess and Britannia. (If that makes sense) :)

No, all 4 were built as Princess ships including Ocean Princess, the now Oceana and Sea Princess which for a few years was Adonia.

So the basic interior and most decoration is Princess based.

Edited by daiB

No, all 4 were built as Princess ships including Ocean Princess, the now Oceana and Sea Princess which for a few years was Adonia.

So the basic interior and most decoration is Princess based.

Thanks - that's interesting. Love Oceana (rusty bits and all) so that gives me something else to research :)

CM

I understood where you were coming and we can all disagree with other peoples' views. Personally I'm fed up reading about Auto Tips, Formal Dress and Embarcation times but I don't comment because you'll never change opinions.

The real issue is that those who comment are far and few between and the vast majority, certainly not all, P&O passengers are friendly, sociable and make for good conversation.

The vast majority, certainly not all, P&O passengers are friendly, sociable and make for good conversation.

Before we moved to P&O we were on Ocean Village 2 and the P&O thread frightened us to death! After our first cruise with P&O we were so pleased to note that we just had a wonderful time, with wonderful people.

We've now done more cruises and have met all sorts, of all nationalities.... as I am sure many of you have.

Cruise ships are like a small version of life---- there are all sorts of people. Some you like, some you don't and some just need chucking over the side ;)

Thanks - that's interesting. Love Oceana (rusty bits and all) so that gives me something else to research :)

Enjoy your research. Just remember if you do ever choose to cruise on one of the other three Sun class ships (actually two from 2017 as Dawn is transferring to P&O Australia) then the nights you have already spent on P&O cruises will count towards your entry status in the Princess loyalty scheme.

Edited by Corfe Mixture
removal f ambiguity - added words 'already' and 'entry'

Enjoy your research. Just remember if you do ever choose to cruise on one of the other three Sun class ships (actually two from 2017 as Dawn is transferring to P&O Australia) then the nights you have spent on P&O cruises will count towards your status in the Princess loyalty scheme.

Cheers - have signed up with Princess ;)

I think the problem is for whatever the reason is some people just like posting negative comments on here.

They would like us all to leave pando and wander over to celeb/princess/rc. The fact that most of us would hate sailing with them for various reasons is neither here nor there.

Have to say all the people we have met on various holidays have all been lovely people. Dining conversations only once in all my years discussed price. The majority of the table had booked cheap fares. Also on the table were a couple with a disabled daughter. They always had to pay full price and book as early as they could to make sure they got a cabin that would be suitable for her. After discovering this fact price was not discussed at all. Usually revolved around the port of call that day and what we had been doing.

I do not think I am entitled. I think I am jolly jolly lucky to be able to cruise full stop.

One cannot stop people posting negative comments all the time. You get to know the names and just disregard what they post.

We do look at other lines including the 6* ones. Usually the reason we do not proceed is we do not like flying now and everything involved with it. This means sailing from the UK , the 6* lines maybe do one cruise during their year that sails from the UK. Not a lot of choice there.

Only once on a cruise have I gone to a CC meeting and said who I was. All the other cruises OH and I just enjoy ourselves.

Totally agree have booked a Celebrity cruise for next year but having looked at their board and some of the comments on there, it is making us perceive it is not for us, however recognizing that most people only post when they have something to moan about we will go without any preconceived ideas as I consider everybody should when trying something new (or returning after a long absence)

Edited by TOMOGP

If I can book a Princess cruise then anyone can. :) :) ;)

Given your long history with P&O, it will be interesting to get your feedback after your Crown cruise.

For sure you, although they target the same market sector, you will find it different.

- Probably slightly less insistence on adherence to dress protocol on formal evenings (certainly many US clients who dress for dinner change after dinner).

- Gratuities added automatically to your bar bills, though headline prices are reasonable,

and

- You will certainly notice the difference in your loyalty benefits - free laundry, up to 250mins each complimentary internet access and a mini-bar set up to name the most obvious.

As a person who, for reasons nothing to do with service, is now more familiar with Princess than P&O, I will be very interested to hear how you, a person whose opinions I respect, find the Princess product compares with the P&O product.

Kindest

Grenville

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I agree. How can they be bothered going onto a Forum for a cruise they are not going to cruise on and spend there time moaning? I had a look at the MSC Forum the other day and people were asking why have some got it in for them? Not everyone will love P&O and everyone is entitled to an opinion but some comments are just ridiculous. It clearly frustrates some people that others can really enjoy P&O and I do wonder why they get so uptight about it. They do seem to get quite stressed over it. Personally I'm not at all concerned that some people prefer Celebrity over P&O, in fact that is good as it gives more choice. They really need to accept that others have different requirements from a cruise.

DGS, have you heard the expression "when you're stuck in a hole the best thing to do is to stop digging". ;)

Given your long history with P&O, it will be interesting to get your feedback after your Crown cruise.

For sure you, although they target the same market sector, you will find it different.

- Probably slightly less insistence on adherence to dress protocol on formal evenings (certainly many US clients who dress for dinner change after dinner).

- Gratuities added automatically to your bar bills, though headline prices are reasonable,

and

- You will certainly notice the difference in your loyalty benefits - free laundry, up to 250mins each complimentary internet access and a mini-bar set up to name the most obvious.

As a person who, for reasons nothing to do with service, is now more familiar with Princess than P&O, I will be very interested to hear how you, a person whose opinions I respect, find the Princess product compares with the P&O product.

Kindest

Grenville

They have been nice to me already free booze for two weeks. Must be very pleasant people. :)

I find this sad, as I think us Presto2s are good cruise companions and members of the P&O / CC threads. Sorry that you have judged us all by just some who 'do our heads in too' :( We don't moan ------ just love our holidays and enjoy every moment. Life is too short .......... :(:(

Hi Presto.

If there was a clapometer I'd have sent it off the scale.

With over 273 nights onboard P&O cruises I have only experienced two changes of tables because of the company. Once because we joined a table for 6 when four were travelling together with an undisciplined child (we changed after the first night on a 24 night cruise).

On the second occasion, again on a table for 6, following an incident on the first evening when one chap was particularly obnoxious to the other couple.

As we sat down on the second evening I decided to offer a lecture in etiquette to our offensive companion. He and his 'partner' left immediately and we never saw them again in that restaurant.

Other than that we have had interesting, funny, enjoyable and genuinely nice table companions. Sure there are some passengers who are not as gregarious as we would wish. In those cases i find the onus is generally on us to bring them into the conversation.

As you say, life is to short and with that i would add that on all those cruises I have never ever heard the question raised regarding 'how much did you pay'?

I can only assume it is part of cruising folklore.

Quite agree we must be even luckier as we have never had to move.

BTW I would like to meet the guy who tried to brag about how little he had paid. I bet I would have paid less. :) :) :)

I have some quips ready, "Oh you did not get the good deal then" and "HOW much did you pay? You've been done."

Hi Presto.

If there was a clapometer I'd have sent it off the scale

As you say, life is to short and with that i would add that on all those cruises I have never ever heard the question raised regarding 'how much did you pay'?

Have to admit that we once asked to move tables as the companions the night before were dire. We were in Italy - they did not like wine, ice cream, pasta, lasagne, cream, pizza, hot weather - they searched for the shade in the sunshine! They didn't like walking or boats (we were in the Italian Lake district) The list was endless. Oh, and they hardly knew one another as they had met on line ...

Thank fully we saw another couple that we had met the year before and we moved tables -------------

That was a land holiday and we now always do freedom dining incase they have moved to a cruise holiday!!!

;)

Quite agree we must be even luckier as we have never had to move.

BTW I would like to meet the guy who tried to brag about how little he had paid. I bet I would have paid less. :) :) :)

I have some quips ready, "Oh you did not get the good deal then" and "HOW much did you pay? You've been done."

We've only got a good deal once - our first cruise in 2010. Since then we have booked about 12 months in advance so no good deals for us really. ;)

Hi Presto.

If there was a clapometer I'd have sent it off the scale.

With over 273 nights onboard P&O cruises I have only experienced two changes of tables because of the company. Once because we joined a table for 6 when four were travelling together with an undisciplined child (we changed after the first night on a 24 night cruise).

On the second occasion, again on a table for 6, following an incident on the first evening when one chap was particularly obnoxious to the other couple.

As we sat down on the second evening I decided to offer a lecture in etiquette to our offensive companion. He and his 'partner' left immediately and we never saw them again in that restaurant.

Other than that we have had interesting, funny, enjoyable and genuinely nice table companions. Sure there are some passengers who are not as gregarious as we would wish. In those cases i find the onus is generally on us to bring them into the conversation.

PS Have to say that we have had a Mr and Mrs Moanalot on our cruise last year. One of them we gave a tip re where to sit at dinner and we met them later (much happier) the other 2 ended up near us near the holiday and had cheered a lot ! Must admit, there are times when you want to tell the Moanalots to abandon ship ! (met them on Celebrity as well, so it isn't just a British thing!)

Anyway, not long for us to go and convert some more Moanalots at dinner if needs be ;)

PS Have to say that we have had a Mr and Mrs Moanalot on our cruise last year. One of them we gave a tip re where to sit at dinner and we met them later (much happier) the other 2 ended up near us near the holiday and had cheered a lot ! Must admit, there are times when you want to tell the Moanalots to abandon ship ! (met them on Celebrity as well, so it isn't just a British thing!)

Anyway, not long for us to go and convert some more Moanalots at dinner if needs be ;)

Yes, you get ready to convert my M-i-L, Presto.... ;) Or perhaps not, I wouldn't like to inflict her on you - I would like to keep on good terms with you lol

Edited by Scriv

Yes, you get ready to convert my M-i-L, Presto.... ;) Or perhaps not, I wouldn't like to inflict her on you - I would like to keep on good terms with you lol

Now this seems like a challenge ;-) For some reason I am thinking about that speech Churchill made .... We shall fight them on the beaches :D:D:D

I will also be really interested to hear how Princess goes for you too, Dai

I was on the Princess boards the other day and had to do a double take as Dai was on there posting, had to check my bearings, shocked I tell you.