Help! Family of 5 looking to book an RC cruise

My wife and I would like to take a cruise with our three daughters in 2018. They will be ages 5, 3, and 1 at that time, assuming we go prior to May. We are looking to find a 7 night RC cruise to book, preferably out of Florida headed to the caribbean somewhere. This will be our first cruise that we have booked with kids (we went on another one that was paid for by the grandparents that we took our oldest daughter on). Any advice on how to book this, how to keep cost down, etc would be much appreciated. We would of course love to go on some of the bigger ships, like the Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas, but we could do a Freedom of the Seas or Navigator of the Seas (which we have done twice) or others as well. At this point, we just want to take a family cruise, preferably on Royal Caribbean.

I have also poked around at MSC cruises, even though I am very loyal to royal (ah thank you). They seem to offer "kids sail free" but you still pay for taxes and stuff, and probably tips. I have found some good deals on my wife and I and two of our kids (I can go on Divina for about $1700 out of Florida in 2018) but when I add the third kid, the type of room that we can book is limited and it doubles the price. When I look at getting two seprate rooms, it also doubles the price. At that point it is comparable to Royal and I'd prefer to sail on Royal.

Any help on this on Royal Caribbean would be great, but if anyone has any ideas on MSC or another (what I deem) decent cruise line (please not Carnival or other lower level lines), that would also be great. Thanks!

If you want everyone in one cabin you must call directly. If you are okay with connecting cabins(interior door) you can do that but it is easier to go directly as well, not online. I like the promenade view cabins for connecting esp if you are leery about balconies.

Speaking as a family of 5. Nothing is cheaper than booking the family oceanview, or family inside rooms that thy have. Only a limited number on each ship so book early even just to reserve it. The rooms are between 280-330 sq feet each and don't cost extra like a suite would. I will be going on my second RCCL cruise and am booking family oceanview on Freedom. For the kids sake I think western Caribbean is a bit better unless you want to do mainly beaches. Personal opinion. Also keep an eye out for kids sale free promo but that's rare sale. With 3 kids it's a life saver for costs...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Oh, for rooms of 5, you have to call into RCCL or my advice is to use a TA. That's what I do and she takes care of us and does and the searching for us. Why do it yourself when someone else can at no cost to you

The family ocean view staterooms would accommodate your family and are available on most ships. They will not show up as available on a website search, you will need to call RCC to inquire about them or work with a travel agent, here is a link to the details of the rooms: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/home.do?cabincls=O&cabinType=FF

They also offer a family interior http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cabinclass/cabinTypes/cabinType/home.do?br=R&cabincls=I&cabinType=FI

Other option would be to look at two connecting interiors, booking one parent in each room as well. I doubt they would allow a pack and play in a standard room for 4, plus it would be a bit tight.

I am pretty sure I read on the MSC threads....or maybe it was their website, that only the first 2 children are free....and yes, the port fees and gratuities are not free...just the cruise fare. I believe this is true for all of the cruise lines though when they have this promotion.

In order to book 5 in a cabin you either have to call RC direct, or work with a TA who can call them.

There are family staterooms that hold 5; also suites. You need to play around with prices/bookings; sometimes two staterooms (connecting) can be cheaper than a family cabin or suite.

There are always sales going on so it is difficult to predict price. Bear in mind even if you get a sale price for the kids they still have to pay gratuities, taxes, etc.

We book 2 cabins. With 5 (as we had) it is nice to have the extra space and extra bathroom. With kids that young I would opt for connecting promenade rooms. Plain interiors would save some money though. The family cabins are also an option but limit parent privacy and force you to be quiet if the kids go to bed before you.

I would go on one that offers some baby sitting service for the one year old. Just from reading here it sounds like some people thought they had the service on the ship but not all of them do. The wording is very confusing, Check and double check that. This way the older two can have some time with you or they can go in adventure ocean and you can have some time with your wife.

Happy planning

Linda

Both Navigator and Freedom have balcony cabins which connect to an inside cabin! That could be a very fair price for 2 rooms...put the kids in the inside, connecting to your balcony! They are the cabins at the very aft of the side cabins......

Hi - Since you can, I would take advantage of booking when school is in session. You'll definitely save some money and it shouldn't be as crowded. If you can get kid sail free, that's even better! We did the Oasis when my daughter was 6 and she loved it - the shows, the kids' pool/splash area, the carousel, etc. Not sure how much your kids would enjoy as far as shows and possibly only the 5 year old would do a rock climbing wall. Would they go in the kids' clubs? Another line to consider is NCL - the newer, bigger ships. The kids' clubs are good as are the splash areas. I think most things are similar on both lines for children the ages of yours.

Both Navigator and Freedom have balcony cabins which connect to an inside cabin! That could be a very fair price for 2 rooms...put the kids in the inside, connecting to your balcony! They are the cabins at the very aft of the side cabins......

That cabin combination is two-berth cabins only. No 3rd berth in either one.

My wife and I would like to take a cruise with our three daughters in 2018. They will be ages 5, 3, and 1 at that time, assuming we go prior to May. We are looking to find a 7 night RC cruise to book, preferably out of Florida headed to the caribbean somewhere. This will be our first cruise that we have booked with kids (we went on another one that was paid for by the grandparents that we took our oldest daughter on). Any advice on how to book this, how to keep cost down, etc would be much appreciated. We would of course love to go on some of the bigger ships, like the Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas, but we could do a Freedom of the Seas or Navigator of the Seas (which we have done twice) or others as well. At this point, we just want to take a family cruise, preferably on Royal Caribbean.

I have also poked around at MSC cruises, even though I am very loyal to royal (ah thank you). They seem to offer "kids sail free" but you still pay for taxes and stuff, and probably tips. I have found some good deals on my wife and I and two of our kids (I can go on Divina for about $1700 out of Florida in 2018) but when I add the third kid, the type of room that we can book is limited and it doubles the price. When I look at getting two seprate rooms, it also doubles the price. At that point it is comparable to Royal and I'd prefer to sail on Royal.

Any help on this on Royal Caribbean would be great, but if anyone has any ideas on MSC or another (what I deem) decent cruise line (please not Carnival or other lower level lines), that would also be great. Thanks!

In your shoes, I would book two connecting cabins. There are several combinations possible. Ocean view would probably be the most economical.

Edited by Merion_Mom

I have a family of five, too. I would suggest two connecting inside cabins and reserve a pack and play for the baby to sleep in. Not only is it a LOT cheaper than a family suite, but having two bathrooms was ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In your shoes, I would book two connecting cabins. There are several combinations possible. Ocean view would probably be the most economical.

Dahling - I am booked in 2 boardwalk balconies for what would have been the same cost as 2 insides or 4 in an OV balcony! :eek: Wish you were coming with us!!!

I second the family ocean view - although the 2 bathrooms would be nice!

Unless you really want the extra bathroom, I still say family inside or oceanview is the best bang for buck. And to answer another poster, we got all 3 kids sail free. The first time we had to pay taxes and port but this upcoming they allowed us to stack it on top of the free tax sale a few months back...

We are also a family of five and we book a balcony with an inside across the hall. On the Liberty we had a promenade across from the balcony and it was really nice to be able to watch the promenade activities from one cabin or hang around on the balcony from the other.

Traveling family of five, and we opted for a royal family suite (RFS). Wanted the space and varied sleeping options as the 5 and 3 year old have different sleep patterns. Also includes a bathtub (junior suite and higher have these, which are a "must" for our little ones). Found out after booking that we will be Sky Class with suite perks!

We booked Allure out of Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades, 7-night to Cozumel, Jamaica, & Labadee. Allure has the highly acclaimed Adventure Ocean plus the tots/baby area. We also plan to take advantage of the Dream Works experience and have breakfast with characters from Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Foo Panda, and How To Train Your Dragon.

I was just at the same spot last month, at start we were 4 then my niece came along so we're 5, i called tried adding her on an ocean balcony but no dice, instead they offered family inside for $1250 more or a suite for $1850( tax and grats in). I don't know how frequent they put out the kids sail free, but it did work to my advantage.I would suggest keeping an eye on that same promotion while booking whatever they have right now, and when it pops up, call and re-assess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh also note that on FoS we had room 8500 before. It is one of the larger rooms at 300 sq ft. It has a separate bunk bed room for kids as well as fold down sofa and a room for parents. This time we will be room 8200 because it's bigger and we like the living room layout more. Budgetwise we figure less we spend on each cruise, more we can cruise.

Edited by southnam

We are a family of 5 (kids ages 12, 9 and 6). My advice, regardless of which room type / ship you are on is to try to book as early as possible. We booked a cruise on the oasis, but because of VERY active kids sports schedules we had to wait until pretty last minute (2 1/2 months in advance). We had a few different options open to us for room type - but we are definitely paying more for them. When I read some of the prices others have quoted that they paid for similar accommodations it makes me sick - but my family really really really wanted to go on a RC cruise after all the commercials

Dahling - I am booked in 2 boardwalk balconies for what would have been the same cost as 2 insides or 4 in an OV balcony! :eek: Wish you were coming with us!!!

I second the family ocean view - although the 2 bathrooms would be nice!

And I wish that you were on the Anthem with US!!!!!