Royal still have formal night?

It's been 4 years since we've sailed Royal. NCL and Carnival have practically done away with it. Just wondering how it's going on Royal these days? Also want to bring only carry on so will probably plan something else if there is still a dress up requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's been 4 years since we've sailed Royal. NCL and Carnival have practically done away with it. Just wondering how it's going on Royal these days? Also want to bring only carry on so will probably plan something else if there is still a dress up requirement.

Shipwide formal nights still exist on ships other than Quantum class.

Royal still has nights they call "formal" but there is no need to dress up unless you want to. The suggested dress is just that, a suggestion, and nothing is enforced. On Caribbean cruises I just wear slacks and a button up shirt and feel fine in the MDR. Bring your carry on and enjoy your cruise.

My family and I sailed on the Allure last week and to me everyone dressed in formal attire at dinner. I would've felt out of place had I not dressed formal. Especially the first formal night. We had a 7 night cruise so 2 formal nights. The 2nd formal night I saw a little less formal but still very dressy. There were lots of celebrations, lots of quincinera's therefore there were lots of big poofy Cinderella dresses and many others as well. I didn't see tuxedos but lots of full suits on men.

Many people were saying it's starting to diminish and this was my first cruise so I didn't know what to expect so I brought formal and very dressy. On my way to my room I saw very nice formal gowns so that's what I put on as well.

It will be the same as it was 4 years ago - still a formal night or two, depending on the length of the cruise, but it's not a "requirement" now, nor was it 4 years ago.

Royal still has nights they call "formal" but there is no need to dress up unless you want to. The suggested dress is just that, a suggestion, and nothing is enforced. On Caribbean cruises I just wear slacks and a button up shirt and feel fine in the MDR. Bring your carry on and enjoy your cruise.

Per above ^^^. RCCL formal nights are way - way less formal than they once were.

My family and I sailed on the Allure last week and to me everyone dressed in formal attire at dinner. I would've felt out of place had I not dressed formal. Especially the first formal night. We had a 7 night cruise so 2 formal nights. The 2nd formal night I saw a little less formal but still very dressy. There were lots of celebrations, lots of quincinera's therefore there were lots of big poofy Cinderella dresses and many others as well. I didn't see tuxedos but lots of full suits on men.

Many people were saying it's starting to diminish and this was my first cruise so I didn't know what to expect so I brought formal and very dressy. On my way to my room I saw very nice formal gowns so that's what I put on as well.

I have had similar experience. I do think some on this forum want to see formal nights go away, so they try to convince people that it's gotten a lot more informal that it really has. I've found that most people still dress up, if they're going to the main dining room on a formal night. But it is not required, so one doesn't have to feel obligated, if they don't mind being under-dressed, relative to the average.

Shipwide formal nights still exist on ships other than Quantum class.

and Empress of the Seas!

It is interesting to note that last week on Empress there were quite a few folks who dressed up in the evening.

Edited by Scotty G

and Empress of the Seas!

It is interesting to note that last week on Empress there were quite a few folks who dressed up in the evening.

Appreciate the clarification, I forgot about Empress.:)

Ok, thanks all. We plan to do MTD again and usually eat at the very end of the night, close to 9pm. Dining room has been sparse on our previous MTD experiences and by the time we leave our room for dinner a lot of early diners have already changed after their dinner. Husband will have slacks and dress shirt, I will have black cigarette pants and a lacy top. If we feel out of place we can just grab a bite in the promenade. Other nights will be casual, sundress and polo/jeans for husband.

We sail out of San Juan this time and arrive late, don't want to chance our luggage being misdirected.

We don't enjoy then specialty restaurants so no worries there. NLC has our favorite dining atmosphere but we enjoy RCCL.

Piling on.

No specialty restaurant has ever been formal. (I do not consider Chef's Table a restaurant, and it is as dumbed-down as everything else now)

As a matter of fact, back when most people adhered to the "formal dress code", the specialty restaurants were considered a refuge, a way to avoid dressing formally on formal night.

I have had similar experience. I do think some on this forum want to see formal nights go away, so they try to convince people that it's gotten a lot more informal that it really has. I've found that most people still dress up, if they're going to the main dining room on a formal night. But it is not required, so one doesn't have to feel obligated, if they don't mind being under-dressed, relative to the average.

Totally agree. The majority of men are in coat and tie and women in nice dresses. Everyone is usually looking good in whatever they choose.

Some of the specialtys like Chops require formal for dinner. Not sure about lunch

Not true, sorry :)

Every type of vacation you decide to go on, sets the expectations on what to wear. Example, you take a week long vacation at the beach staying in Howard Johnson's and you plan to eat at Denny's and Golden Corral all week, than you would dress in shorts, and t-shirts all week.

If you go to an all inclusive resort, and they advertise fancy restaurants are included, you would go wearing dress pants, and a tie, evening dress for the ladies. You are paying for that atmosphere, when you make the final payment.

A cruise is the same. You know it has two formal nights. Although a tuxedo and gown are long gone, dressing in a shirt and tie, or an evening dress is what you paid for, when you purchased the cruise. It is also what everyone else pays for.

Many people will say, you can dress as you like, no one will enforce it, and who cares what others do. However, I believe most people do care what others do around them, and lets face it, most will not openly say they make fun of "that guy" wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a tux on it, but they do. If you are buying a vacation package that has the expectations of you dressing a certain way, than you should do it. If you don't like dressing up, than why not pick a beach vacation that suits your style?

Plus, if you can afford a vacation, than why can't you afford a $50 luggage fee? :D

Our three sons who are now 19, 24 and 26 have always dressed up for formal night and still do. They wear pants and a polo shirt the other nights.

On our last cruise there was a family of four next to us on one of the formal nights. The two boys were late teens. Both were in shorts, t-shirt and baseball caps. One even had the hat on backwards. The dad was also wearing shorts. I could not believe the mom was okay with them wearing hats in MDR. Of course when they got up to leave she was in shorts.

I usually have no issue with people dressing casually for formal night, but this bothered me for some reason. At least take of your hat!

Every type of vacation you decide to go on, sets the expectations on what to wear. Example, you take a week long vacation at the beach staying in Howard Johnson's and you plan to eat at Denny's and Golden Corral all week, than you would dress in shorts, and t-shirts all week.

If you go to an all inclusive resort, and they advertise fancy restaurants are included, you would go wearing dress pants, and a tie, evening dress for the ladies. You are paying for that atmosphere, when you make the final payment.

A cruise is the same. You know it has two formal nights. Although a tuxedo and gown are long gone, dressing in a shirt and tie, or an evening dress is what you paid for, when you purchased the cruise. It is also what everyone else pays for.

Many people will say, you can dress as you like, no one will enforce it, and who cares what others do. However, I believe most people do care what others do around them, and lets face it, most will not openly say they make fun of "that guy" wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a tux on it, but they do. If you are buying a vacation package that has the expectations of you dressing a certain way, than you should do it. If you don't like dressing up, than why not pick a beach vacation that suits your style?

Plus, if you can afford a vacation, than why can't you afford a $50 luggage fee? :D

You have a couple of inflammatory statements in there. Get ready...

Edited by CruiseTobey

FWIW, with careful packing, you can still do 2 formal nights with carry on only. We do that every trip/cruise.

Sometimes I have a full suit, sometimes jacket, slacks, tie. DW always has a couple of really nice dresses.

Just takes some planning. And sailing out of San Juan makes it pretty easy- since it's hot every day.

Can't comment too much on the thought of lost luggage, but the SJU airport is run by a new company- and seems much better than a few years ago. Maybe the risk isn't as high as you think.

I agree. I think most people are dressed very nicely. Hubby always used to wear a tux( to make me happy) and now wears a suit. On our September sailing on INDY, we saw loads of tuxedos and formal dresses. It made me sad that I was not in one of my super formal gowns, which I never get to wear. Hubby was not sad to not be in a tux:p