Single Parent with 3 kids - advice

Looks like an absolute wealth of information here, but I found the search page result lacking... So I'm hoping y'all can answer a couple questions.

First off I love Cruising my first was years ago RCCL eastern Caribbean and it was the best trip I've ever taken.

This is my second trip, but I'm going this one alone with my 3 kids (B-12, G-16, B-16).

I've read a bunch, researched some more, booked an excursion, setup some things for onboard. But I'm trying to figure out some details on an excursion on Jamaica, and what my options are in Grand Cayman.

1st, Jamaica. I've read some bad reviews on the Chukka Tours site and that their ATV/Dune Buggies are not that great. I'm trying to decide if the price jump is worth it. Ultimate Thrill Seeker is $164/each for all four of us, vs. Basic thrill seeker which is $109/Adult, $79/child. The only difference is the ATVs and lunch is paid for.

2nd, Grand Cayman. My son and I are the only one's Scuba Certified. We are planning on doing the wreck dive and a beach dive, what are the options for my daughter and other son.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave

P.S. Do they still do room upgrades based on availability, or not anymore? I've a feeling we're going to be cramped 4 in one room.

... P.S. Do they still do room upgrades based on availability, or not anymore? I've a feeling we're going to be cramped 4 in one room.

Upgrades are still an infinitesimal possibility. In other words, don't plan on one. Better to book what you want up front.

I did the 2 tank dive in Grand Cayman last December, it was great. So many better things to see on boat dive than beach. Just saying. While I did that my friends just wondered the town and found a free beach and had a blast

For Caymans look at Moby Dick tours to Stingray City for the 2 who are not going diving. I have had great success with them.

I think my 12 year old requires a parent or guardian to be there as well for anything on the water.

I would not feel comfortable letting my 12 and 16 go off in a foreign country on an excursion without a parent period. Maybe I would be okay leaving them on the ship if they promised to stick together that day and not leave the ship.

Can you all go snorkeling together? There are lots of great companies in Grand Cayman.

I would not feel comfortable letting my 12 and 16 go off in a foreign country on an excursion without a parent period. Maybe I would be okay leaving them on the ship if they promised to stick together that day and not leave the ship.

Can you all go snorkeling together? There are lots of great companies in Grand Cayman.

Yes, I was thinking they could stay aboard, but I don't know what stuff they have going on during the day at Caymans. Or they could hook up with another family and go see "Hell" or something.

There are not a lot of organized activities on port days on board but of course there is the pool, arcade and food. Depends on how mature your kids are.

You could try thru a meet and mingle on these boards to get another family to take them with them for the day. Just a thought ....or wait till on board and see who they make friends with.

I don't know about the ATV's, but I did Chukka ziplining and river tubing in Jamaica, which were so much fun.

You say you were looking at the Chukka Tours site for information, but when it comes to actual booking, I have a strong personal preference for booking official Royal Caribbean excursions. It's safer if there is some kind of delay getting back to the ship - the ship won't leave without your Royal group. (and maybe you were planning on that, but I wanted to throw it out there)

I also wouldn't let my kids at any age go off by themselves in an unfamiliar place.

Perhaps look for a private dive operator who can do a "discover" dive for the non-certified divers while you join them.

It won't be the most best diving for those certified but it could keep you all together. There's plenty of stuff to see in 30' of water!

I'd definitely look for a private operator where all of you can participate.

I have been on cruises that have shore excursions for youth (can't remember which line as I have been on several). Have you checked with RC to find out if that will be offered on your cruise? Some have scheduled activities on the ship for youth during port times also.

Also, look for a private excursion that offers snorkeling and scuba, seems like that would be the best option.

Jen in CA

Looks like an absolute wealth of information here, but I found the search page result lacking... So I'm hoping y'all can answer a couple questions.

First off I love Cruising my first was years ago RCCL eastern Caribbean and it was the best trip I've ever taken.

This is my second trip, but I'm going this one alone with my 3 kids (B-12, G-16, B-16).

I've read a bunch, researched some more, booked an excursion, setup some things for onboard. But I'm trying to figure out some details on an excursion on Jamaica, and what my options are in Grand Cayman.

1st, Jamaica. I've read some bad reviews on the Chukka Tours site and that their ATV/Dune Buggies are not that great. I'm trying to decide if the price jump is worth it. Ultimate Thrill Seeker is $164/each for all four of us, vs. Basic thrill seeker which is $109/Adult, $79/child. The only difference is the ATVs and lunch is paid for.

2nd, Grand Cayman. My son and I are the only one's Scuba Certified. We are planning on doing the wreck dive and a beach dive, what are the options for my daughter and other son.

Dave

P.S. Do they still do room upgrades based on availability, or not anymore? I've a feeling we're going to be cramped 4 in one room.

Dave

I was a Single Parent and took my 3 kids (set of twins too) when they were growing up on cruises. My kids loved it. The one thing I recommend is not to do the dive if every one can't participate. You as the adult can do that anytime. It is not safe to plan something else for the 12 year old and 16 year old daughter. Do not leave them onboard without you. I have been to Grand Cayman more times than I can count. Instead of the planned dive, why not take a snorkel tour where you can all participate instead? They go over the same ship wreck you will see on the dive. Everyone will see some amazing fish and no one will feel excluded.

For Jamaica, there are many things to choose from. Climbing Dunn's River Falls is something my kids liked to do. There are so many options. I suggest coming up with a list of choices and let them help with making the decision.

An upgrade will not help lesson the cabin size issue. Usually the upgrades are a different location. With only one adult, your only option for a bigger cabin is booking a family size one.

Edited by iluvcruzin

Aside from what to do and being a single parent, you may want to check on whether you will need a notarized note of permission to take the children out of the Country.

In regards to cabin choices, I would pick a couple cabins, you & the daughter in 1 and two boys next to you or across from you.

Aside from what to do and being a single parent, you may want to check on whether you will need a notarized note of permission to take the children out of the Country.

In regards to cabin choices, I would pick a couple cabins, you & the daughter in 1 and two boys next to you or across from you.

Good advise on obtaining permission. I was thinking about that as well.

From what I understand, He can't book 2 cabins because it requires 1 adult tied to each of the bookings. People who book a cabin for their kids generally switch cabin assignments once onboard.

Good advise on obtaining permission. I was thinking about that as well.

From what I understand, He can't book 2 cabins because it requires 1 adult tied to each of the bookings. People who book a cabin for their kids generally switch cabin assignments once onboard.

If the rooms are connecting, you don't need an adult with the kids. We book connecting rooms when the kids go.

There are not a lot of organized activities on port days on board but of course there is the pool, arcade and food. Depends on how mature your kids are.

You could try thru a meet and mingle on these boards to get another family to take them with them for the day. Just a thought ....or wait till on board and see who they make friends with.

That was actually my daughters suggestion last night. We'll see how it goes. I'm being hopeful and positive it will work out for the best.

If the rooms are connecting, you don't need an adult with the kids. We book connecting rooms when the kids go.

But you are saying "We" as in there are 2 adults already. If you are single and have done this, please share.

dfecker - I think you are taking a lot of risk by asking other passengers to be responsible for your kids while you go off and do something onshore. Anything can happen. I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone's kids that I didn't know. Too much liability. And as a father, I want to fill you in on the risks of having a teenage daughter with you - and my daughters can attest to this - there are some creepy people onboard that tend to "flirt" with teenagers. My daughters at age 16 were approached even by staff and it made them uncomfortable. Something to consider.

Edited by iluvcruzin

If you and your son get off in GC - your 12yo can go to the kids club. There may or may not be teen activities going on which your daughter can attend.

Your kids will not be able to get off the ship without you. When we cruised last time, if the kids were in line to get off in front of us, the security person always asked where your parent/guardian was their seapass shows them as a minor.

But you are saying "We" as in there are 2 adults already. If you are single and have done this, please share.

Not sure why the 'we' part matters. We have cruised twice with the kids, and have another booked. Each time, the 3 children are booked in one room and the adults are in a connecting room. The first cruise the kids were only 10, 8, and 7.

Since you are 'asking' for advice .... please plan an activity for your entire family in GC. The very thought of sending your other two kids off on an adventure with perfect strangers gives me shivers! As a parent, I cannot imagine ever agreeing to taking a perfect stranger's kid off the ship with me. In fact, I doubt very much that your minor kids would even be allowed to exit the ship without you right there with them. While leaving kids that age on board the ship on their own might be an option in most ports, since GC is a tender port I would not do it. The excursion you are thinking of is not without danger as well. All round a bad idea in my opinion. Snorkeling would be fun for all four of you, and reduce the danger all around.

As a parent, I cannot imagine ever agreeing to taking a perfect stranger's kid off the ship with me. .

In my very first cruise (solo) I met a woman travelling with her 11yo granddaughter. In one port, granny was feeling very tired and didn't want to go ashore, but the kid wanted to do some souvenir shopping, so I took her into town with me. Never even crossed my mind to say no.

I may not have taken her on a "dangerous" excursion, but people can surprise you.

Not sure why the 'we' part matters. We have cruised twice with the kids, and have another booked. Each time, the 3 children are booked in one room and the adults are in a connecting room. The first cruise the kids were only 10, 8, and 7.

Unless the policy has changed, each cabin booked must have at least one person who is 21 or older. So even though your kids are in a connecting cabin, one of you are tied to that second booking to satisfy the age requirement.

Now if there is a single parent who has booked an adjoining cabin, that would prove it can be done and the age requirement doesn't apply.

The OP leaves in 2 days so it doesn't matter at this point. He was hoping for an upgrade.

Edited by iluvcruzin

Unless the policy has changed, each cabin booked must have at least one person who is 21 or older. So even though your kids are in a connecting cabin, one of you are tied to that second booking to satisfy the age requirement....

Royal allows guests under 21 to be booked in their own stateroom if that stateroom is next to or across the hall from the parents. This cannot be done online, it must be called in.