Lifeboat incident on Breakaway

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160720/four-hurt-in-lifeboat-incident

"Four people were rushed to hospital this afternoon after a lifeboat fell from the Norwegian Breakaway.

One of the casualties was said to be in a critical condition, according to a Bermuda Maritime Operations spokesman.

The spokesman confirmed that the lifeboat had fallen from the cruise liner and was left hanging from one wire resulting in four people falling into the water.

The injured parties were all recovered from the water and attended to by ambulances from Port Royal as well as King Edward VII Memorial Hospital. The spokesman said an investigation is now under way in tandem with the Bermuda Police Service.

The Norwegian Breakaway arrived at Heritage Wharf this morning from New York.

The vessel, which carries 4,300 passengers, is expected to return to the East Coast of the United States on Friday."

A freak accident. I hope those injured get well fast.

Edited by beaches&sands

I just read that one of the crew members has died. They said a 41 year old from the Philippine's. They aren't releasing his name until his family is notified.

The other 3 are in critical condition. So sad...we were just on the Breakaway a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Chesneygirl

So sad that 1 of the crew members has passed. His family back home and his crew family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I too am sad. This was a horrible accident. I will also keep the families (and other crew members) in my thoughts and prayers.

(And based on my short experience with CC, this thread will soon disappear)

Unfortunately, this is not that much of a freak accident as it should be. My guess is that they accidentally released the hook that holds the boat to the falls. This is designed to release with the full weight of the boat and crew as a safety feature, but is very dangerous for untrained crew as it can drop the boat from a great height.

Unfortunately, this is not that much of a freak accident as it should be. My guess is that they accidentally released the hook that holds the boat to the falls. This is designed to release with the full weight of the boat and crew as a safety feature, but is very dangerous for untrained crew as it can drop the boat from a great height.

This sort of thing was my first thought as well

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is indeed extremely sad, I feel just terrible for the crew members family. Probably a hard working person just trying to better his family.

Just a question about modern day lifeboats, do they get lowered into the water like old time lifeboats or are they designed to just drop into the water fast? I only ask because I thought I heard they were designed to drop.

This is indeed extremely sad, I feel just terrible for the crew members family. Probably a hard working person just trying to better his family.

Just a question about modern day lifeboats, do they get lowered into the water like old time lifeboats or are they designed to just drop into the water fast? I only ask because I thought I heard they were designed to drop.

Cruise ship life boats are lowered into the water. Many freighters have the fast drop type life boat that you're thinking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Cruise ship life boats are lowered into the water. Many freighters have the fast drop type life boat that you're thinking of.

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Is one safer than the other?

The fast drop life boats are more dangerous because unless each person is strapped into a seat , like a race car driver , they risk injury when the boat hits the water. Freighters usually have a crew of around 30, whom are all trained for that. A cruise ship, of course, must be able to load thousands of untrained people into lifeboats quickly.

Actually, neither is safer. The "free fall" boats are really designed to save money, because they launch off the stern in the center. Being centerline, a list of the ship does not affect the ability to launch. So a cargo ship only needs one boat, not one each side. It doesn't require a lot of training to use the free fall boats, if you can buckle a seatbelt, you're good to go.

It is my understanding this wasn't a lifeboat but a MOB Boat (Man Over Board)or fast rescue boat?

Aren't they designed to be lowered much quicker than a lifeboat?

Yes I know that there was a failure and not designed to be lowered that quickly as a free fall.

I think this would still be considered a freak accident.

How sad for those poor crew members and their families.

Prayers to all concerned and sympathy to the family of the deceased crew member