I love NCL

Tammyd549

Seems like a few people (trolls perhaps, I don't know) have been dominating the threads with negative comments, so, I just wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoy crusing with NCL. Of course it's all subjective but I just want to balance the negative with positive.

I think for what they offer, NCL is good value. Their perks are worth the premium in rate and if you don't want the perks, you can opt out for a lower rate.

They have many new ships with activities that appeal to ALL age groups, water parks that are the best in the industry

Their buffet is the best, everyone pretty much agrees on this :)

No cruise line is going to perfect. Some too expensive, some too formal, some too smoky, some too cheap, some have bad entertainment, some have no waterslides , some have good adult areas, some have bad kid areas, whatever. It's a state of mind,

If you are in doubt about NCL, just cancel, I believe in gut feelings and my gut feeling is that my cruise in 3 weeks is going to be FABULOUS!!!!!!

Edited by Tammyd549
Spelling

I do like NCL's product. I don't like their last 18 months of extremely aggressive policy changes, many of which are unprecedented in the industry. And I think it's okay to discuss them. The problem here is almost no one on this site is capable of doing so civilly.

The "cheerleaders" would seemingly jump on anyone who complained about going down with the Titanic.

The "omg worst cruise ever!" one-shot posters don't bring much to the table.

But a whole spectrum of conversion in between gets drowned out by either side.

I do like NCL's product. I don't like their last 18 months of extremely aggressive policy changes, many of which are unprecedented in the industry. And I think it's okay to discuss them. The problem here is almost no one on this site is capable of doing so civilly.

The "cheerleaders" would seemingly jump on anyone who complained about going down with the Titanic.

The "omg worst cruise ever!" one-shot posters don't bring much to the table.

But a whole spectrum of conversion in between gets drowned out by either side.

Good points.

I'm not trying to come across as a cheerleader, just was trying to balance out the posts as of late

I don't love NCL and it does not love me. Our love affair is over. I have had some wonderful cruises on NCL ships and one sort of bad one on the Epic. But it is a business. And now the business model seems to not be very consumer friendly. As you can see from my signature, I have been very loyal, but I have tentative plans to "step out". I will never love another as I did my first love, but I am hopeful that I will, at least, feel appreciated by another.

Seems like a few people (trolls perhaps, I don't know) have been dominating the threads with negative comments, so, I just wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoy crusing with NCL. Of course it's all subjective but I just want to balance the negative with positive.

I think for what they offer, NCL is good value. Their perks are worth the premium in rate and if you don't want the perks, you can opt out for a lower rate.

They have many new ships with activities that appeal to ALL age groups, water parks that are the best in the industry

Their buffet is the best, everyone pretty much agrees on this :)

No cruise line is going to perfect. Some too expensive, some too formal, some too smoky, some too cheap, some have bad entertainment, some have no waterslides , some have good adult areas, some have bad kid areas, whatever. It's a state of mind,

If you are in doubt about NCL, just cancel, I believe in gut feelings and my gut feeling is that my cruise in 3 weeks is going to be FABULOUS!!!!!!

How do you opt out? I don't see any lower rates you can pick for the dates I was looking at for Bermuda from NY next June unless you mean I have to book a gty .:confused:

Bill

How do you opt out? I don't see any lower rates you can pick for the dates I was looking at for Bermuda from NY next June unless you mean I have to book a gty .:confused:

The OP means that if you don't want to pay extra for the "free" SDP, UDP, or excursion promo, you don't have to. The option of "Norwegian Rate" is less than the options with the promos.

The prices look the same until you see the extra "Choice Promotion Service Charge:" added in the details when you take the SDP & UBP, for ex.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

The OP means that if you don't want to pay extra for the "free" SDP, UDP, or excursion promo, you don't have to. The option of "Norwegian Rate" is less than the options with the promos.

The prices look the same until you see the extra "Choice Promotion Service Charge:" added in the details when you take the SDP & UBP, for ex.

Yes I understand what she meant. I just didn't see where the option was to book without any free at sea options

Thanks for your reply:)

Bill

Yes I understand what she meant. I just didn't see where the option was to book without any free at sea options

Bill

i travel solo s may be a bit different but when i have been looking/booking cruises the cost to get the free at sea is around $400-$500 more than the sailaway NCL rate so for me i don't take any perks cause for that much more money and then add the gratuity, it is not worth it. I don't book on NCL so maybe only some sites have the options for the different price groups

A real value of legitimate negative comments is the possibility that they might lead to improving the product. The rabid cheerleaders tend to support management's obvious moves to improve the bottom line at the cost of the experience. Valid complaints (supported by decision to spend cruise dollars elsewhere) might encourage NCL to focus on quality of experience.

i travel solo s may be a bit different but when i have been looking/booking cruises the cost to get the free at sea is around $400-$500 more than the sailaway NCL rate so for me i don't take any perks cause for that much more money and then add the gratuity, it is not worth it. I don't book on NCL so maybe only some sites have the options for the different price groups

I'm in the same boat, har har. Have you found other sites that will let you book the "no frills" price on studios? Paying hundreds more for my studio cabins this year to pay for the "free" perk has been making me grouchy. (That is BEFORE the service charges, of course.)

I'm in the same boat, har har. Have you found other sites that will let you book the "no frills" price on studios? Paying hundreds more for my studio cabins this year to pay for the "free" perk has been making me grouchy. (That is BEFORE the service charges, of course.)

yes, I shop around. I am from canada and book on a canadian site usually but whoever has the best deal. my Oct cruise was $1029 canadian with out the perks, $1529 with so definately not worth it. My december cruise is $919 canadian and again $1519 with the perk. Add on the 18% gratuity and i can outright buy the drink package for the same price so not a deal at all. I will in no way drink $600+ on a solo cruise. I am happy with my price with out perks and if i want the occasional drink i would just buy it. I enjoy the buffet and main dining room so the dining option doesnt matter to me. Last year the price was the same with the $50 shore excursion credit so i did take that but in the end only used one as the water was rough and my excursions were cancelled.

A real value of legitimate negative comments is the possibility that they might lead to improving the product. The rabid cheerleaders tend to support management's obvious moves to improve the bottom line at the cost of the experience. Valid complaints (supported by decision to spend cruise dollars elsewhere) might encourage NCL to focus on quality of experience.
I don't think folks support everything management does, it is just that they might not have an issue with the changes (the changes either don't affect them or they feel it is an insignificant change or it doesn't change their experience at all) and they have just as much right to voice their opinion as those that have issues and I'm sure you can see by the many, many posts a lot of folks don't have major issues with NCL. You can look at it the other way as well. The rabid jeerleaders are negative about everything NCL does, which negates the real value of the legitimate complaints some on here have. I do agree with the fact that they only way to really get a message through to a company is to stop spending one's money there. Edited by NLH Arizona

I like NCL. Granted I've only been on NCL, Disney, and Carnival. NCL is definitley my favorite. I don't get the nickel and dime complaints. No one forces you to buy stuff. We have had nothing but good experiences on their ships. Disney was nice but super pricey. Carnival was the one and only cruise where I was so happy to be home. Lol

True. But the " next NCl Is going to charge for toilet paper. They won't allow epi-pens. Del Rio killed my dingo baby" posts seem to overtake the legitimate grousing about actual changes. Usually these posts are by those who are never cruising NCL again. They add nothing to legitimate complaints.

I don't think folks support everything management does, it is just that they might not have an issue with the changes (the changes either don't affect them or they feel it is an insignificant change or it doesn't change their experience at all) and they have just as much right to voice their opinion as those that have issues and I'm sure you can see by the many, many posts a lot of folks don't have major issues with NCL. You can look at it the other way as well. The rabid jeerleaders are negative about everything NCL does, which negates the real value of the legitimate complaints some on here have. I do agree with the fact that they only way to really get a message through to a company is to stop spending one's money there.

Many of the changes don't directly affect me but I still see them as negatives if only because they limit my choices (for example we don't normally get room service but won't now because I'm not going to pay for it, but I have lost a choice). I am willing to give NCL a try for now only because you and others are saying the onboard experience hasn't changed and that is where the rubber meets the road, but of course they have to get me onboard with the cruise fare alone and only time will tell if they will be able to do that.

Many of the changes don't directly affect me but I still see them as negatives if only because they limit my choices (for example we don't normally get room service but won't now because I'm not going to pay for it, but I have lost a choice). I am willing to give NCL a try for now only because you and others are saying the onboard experience hasn't changed and that is where the rubber meets the road, but of course they have to get me onboard with the cruise fare alone and only time will tell if they will be able to do that.
You see the changes as negative, but everyone is different and what you see as a negative, might actually be a positive to someone else. The a la carte pricing in the restaurants - some feel very negative about it, but for me, it saves me money if I don't have the SDP, thus it is a positive change for me. I'm of the mindset that if one is hesitant about something, don't do it; just because others have a good experience, if you go in with the slightest hesitation looking for wrongs, your worst fears will appear.

You see the changes as negative, but everyone is different and what you see as a negative, might actually be a positive to someone else. The a la carte pricing in the restaurants - some feel very negative about it, but for me, it saves me money if I don't have the SDP, thus it is a positive change for me. I'm of the mindset that if one is hesitant about something, don't do it; just because others have a good experience, if you go in with the slightest hesitation looking for wrongs, your worst fears will appear.

I agree that we all see things different. Trust me, I don't go onboard any ship looking for things that will go wrong or with any hesitation, if I can't book without hesitation then I wouldn't book in the first place.

Bill

I use a big warehouse store travel website and it will sometimes have rates for cruises with and without perks. I think NCL offers (offered?) them to Travel Agents. It is typically $200 - $300 pp than the rate with the "free" promos.

You can also decline the "free" promo to reduce the final cost of the cruise by the gratuity amount. We don't drink much so that would be our option for a cruise with the NCL beverage package. Our on-board drink bill would never reach the $95 in gratuity that NCL charges. For others it's a great deal because you don't really have to drink that much over 7 days to save money with a $95 cost of the drink package.