Why do the reviewers hate MSC?

Stockjock

You are not going to argue about dramatically overweight Americans ? And look how Europeans look . For europeans good lunch its arugula salad with calamari for Americans its burger and fries.

Your original comment had nothing to do with weight and everything to do with palate. I'm American and I haven't had a burger in 26 years.

Stereotype much?

You are not going to argue about dramatically overweight Americans ? And look how Europeans look . For europeans good lunch its arugula salad with calamari for Americans its burger and fries. By the way I am Canadian :rolleyes:

Canadian? Really? Most Canadians are, as I've alluded to previously, very open minded and your statement saying all Americans are the same is shameful. If you are a true Canadian you accept that we cannot possibly all the same. Even the food we eat is different... welcome to the world.

However, this is not the place to make such accusations and you would do well to keep your true feelings to yourself.

ExpatBride, we do not all feel the same. :o

Canadian? Really? Most Canadians are, as I've alluded to previously, very open minded and your statement saying all Americans are the same is shameful. If you are a true Canadian you accept that we cannot possibly all the same. Even the food we eat is different... welcome to the world.

However, this is not the place to make such accusations and you would do well to keep your true feelings to yourself.

I never said all Americans the same . I said american food is fried and has too much sugar in it and that the reason why most Americans don't like European food. And as a conclusion they overweight . O! Sorry ,I am Canadian and should call it above average. LOL.

you would do well to keep your true feelings to yourself.

If I am not mistaken, this is where you are supposed to express your feelings and opinions. That, in fact, is the entire purpose of this board. Just because you disagree with someone's feelings or opinions, doesn't mean you need to berate them. Simply express your own and move on.

If everyone felt the same about everything, it certainly would be a boring world. :)

Bret

I visit Canada often and number of fast food venues are about the same. I highly doubt that they are exclusively for Americans.

Company I am working for moved to US with many Canadian employees seven years ago. I haven't noticed any difference between choices for lunch.

And what about this favorite dish Poutine? ;)

Thanks :) I'm skeptical that the one hurling these stereotypes is in fact Canadian. I recall their (recently removed) location being in Europe, and their grasp of written English seems a bit poor for a native English speaker.

I suppose they could be a French Canadian living abroad...

Either way, I'm a thin, fit person who happens to hold an American passport, but like I said, I haven't had a burger in 26 years. Obviously I find their assessment laughable, especially when European waistlines are growing :D

Edited by ExpatBride

Americans love good European food. We have many European ethnic stores and products in our regular stores.

Unfortunately MSC'S food and good European food are not the same.

This company does many things well, but food is not one of them. It is pretty average.

Maybe it is due to low fares they are trying to maintain. Who knows.

I visit Canada often and number of fast food venues are about the same. I highly doubt that they are exclusively for Americans.

Company I am working for moved to US with many Canadian employees seven years ago. I haven't noticed any difference between choices for lunch.

And what about this favorite dish Poutine? ;)

Absolutely :o Same sad story here . :eek: Better situation in big cities but in small ones ........

Thanks :) I'm skeptical that the one hurling these stereotypes is in fact Canadian. I recall their (recently removed) location being in Europe, and their grasp of written English seems a bit poor for a native English speaker.

I suppose they could be a French Canadian living abroad...

Either way, I'm a thin, fit person who happens to hold an American passport, but like I said, I haven't had a burger in 26 years. Obviously I find their assessment laughable, especially when European waistlines are growing :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Removed location ? French living abroad ? Wow beautiful story . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm European, I eat out regularly and I love good food.

I also love the food on MSC as it's different to what I'd normally have at a restaurant. I'm glad steak or beef isn't one of the regular choices - we all know British beef on the bone with Yorkshire Pudding is perhaps the holiest food around :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Food's subjective as we keep saying.

Might I just add there's no need for insulting and being rude for each other. Agree it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things

I recently went on a short trip with a relative. When it was time to eat she always insisted on fast food. I rarely eat it at home except when traveling from one place to another, without time to sit down and eat, but I choose places with healthier options. For her Mc Donald's tastes good.

She would be happy on a cruise with food that tasted like fast food. I would be miserable.

I feel cruise lines, and even ships within a line, have a personality. We do not like everyone we meet, and we are not going to like every cruise line, because we bring our own preferences on board with our luggage.

I feel cruise lines, and even ships within a line, have a personality. We do not like everyone we meet, and we are not going to like every cruise line, because we bring our own preferences on board with our luggage.

Very nicely put! Hopefully this thread will now continue in a similar tone.

Absolutely :o Same sad story here . :eek: Better situation in big cities but in small ones ........

I live in Massachusetts and even though we have zero Michelin star restaurants variety is nice, and it is not that difficult to find healthy selections.

Btw most of our fast food restaurants are now required to show calorie count. But of course nothing will stop a person who is determined to eat junk in large quantities.

Ya because for most Americans if its not fried or has not 2 lb of sugar in each cookie its not a good food . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I believe the purpose of this board is to share your opinions about the cruising experience, not insult the taste buds of an entire nation. But in all seriousness, who doesn't love a 2lb sugar cookie? ;-).

Putting Blanket stereotypes aside, I don't think most reviewers hate MSC at all. In fact, according to CC, currently more than half enjoy the experience. MSC ratings are certainly below average overall, but so are their prices. Misaligned expectations are far more likely to be the culprit behind the negative reviews than the glucose induced over-stimulated taste buds of an entire nation.

From beautiful Venice,

BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really appreciate this thread. We haven ot sailed MSC yet, but currently have two cruises booked:

In the YC on Splendida in September, which I am NOT worried about (YC reviews seem universally good)

and

two balcony cabins over Christmas on Magnifica. This one worries me, and there are so few Englih reviews and what there is seems very negative. But, the complaints usually fall into three categories, and I would love some feedback from you all here on them plus one other thing that concerns us:

1. lack of English. I do think, as others say here, that is mostly from Ameircans and/or Brits being out of their comfort zones. This doesn't bother us--we've lived abroad for 8 years now and don't mind at all when English is not the main language--this is not some new, or distressing thing for us. Unless we will not be able to get by with English/German/Spanish and understanding but unable to speak Italian, we really are fine. We lvoe the RCI sailigns domoinated by Spanish, Italian and Brazillian passengers--the deck parties really get going then.

2. Food. I can never tell what to make of this. I don't expect amazing food on any cruise--but I do want edible things and enough choice that the two of us who are rather picky eaters can find something. This has never been an issue on DCL, Princess, Celebrity or RCI.

Smaller portions are fine (better, really) and less sweet, or less fried, or pasta made like it is in Italy and not in the US is all good for us. But I do not eat pork, lamb or beef and DS and I both dislike mushrooms. We'll pick around, but hope there is a "picky eaters fallback" menu like most cruises have with something plain and simple on it just in case (is there?) or at least several choices (some reviews we read said there were only 2-3 entree options at dinner--is this accurate?)

3. being nickled and dimed:

it is drinks that concern me here. I can't find what seems a reliable answer to this one posted recently. Can we truly not get tap water at meals? I can live with buying a drink at dinner (we do it for dinner out in Germany after all) but would find it a little annoying. Can we drink the tap water in our room, as we can on other ships? So long as that is safe, so I am not having to buy EVERY drink, that would be OK.

My other concern is smoking. If anyone has experience sailing out of Italy on MSC and how prevelant smoking is (indoors and on neighboring balconies) I would appreciate knowing how that has gone.