Tipping extra?

SDCB432

OK, Tony. Good idea to stop before it becomes ugly. I leave my auto tip in place and I have been known to tip extra besides. I was just surprised by two increases so close together.

I will bow out of this thread as I know what you mean about going on for days (and days, and days, and...) Yes, I did add to it with this post but mostly just to agree with you and to agree with your plea that we let this topic fade away. There are sooooooooooooo many great things about cruising and about the fact that the people here are able to cruise! All of us here should be happy that we can do so.[/quote

I do the same as you. I totally agree with you.

Tony

Good morning Tony. We're on the Emerald again in September:D:D

My husband and I are leaving for an Alaskan Cruise next Saturday and we have only been on one other cruise before this. I seem to remember that we tipped the steward and dining staff extra at the end (personally with a note) based on a suggestion by others. I know this is not required but wondered if there was any amount that is typical for this assuming we get great service. I don't want to over tip but don't want to be cheap either. We are in a regular balcony room on Crown Princess.

Any help is appreciated.

Direct response

We always provide an extra cash tip to the cabin steward. The amount depends on the length of the cruise. For a 7 day cruise the amount would be somewhere in the $25 range, which is about $2/day/pp. On longer cruises where the cabin steward takes care of you for a long time we up the daily per person amount.

We generally take ATD. For ATD we never seem to get the same waiters for more than a few days. We do not provide any extra tip for ATD. The few times we have had traditional dining we tip provide a tip to the waiter and ass't waiter based on the length of the cruise.

In specialty restaurants we also provide an additional tip. You can provide cash or add it to your bill to use up OBC.

I think they raised it because everyone paid the auto gratuity so they figured if people aren't complaining ( by removing it and in addition tipping so much extra) why not soak them a little more. I don't believe the crew got any extra. I think your $725 is way higher then what the ship will actually give the crew. Consider removing the auto grats and tipping your waiters and cabin steward in cash, they LOVE cash.

I know I am going to hate myself for contributing to this thread but just to say - The point is, if you do remove the auto gratuity and hand over a tip in cash directly to your waiter and cabin steward as you suggest, they have to hand it in to the pool - they are not allowed to keep it.

I know I am going to hate myself for contributing to this thread but just to say - The point is, if you do remove the auto gratuity and hand over a tip in cash directly to your waiter and cabin steward as you suggest, they have to hand it in to the pool - they are not allowed to keep it.

Not to mention the crew that are in the background that you can't tip directly. :(

They figured it all out for you and charge a daily gratuity which recently went up un necessarily. I don't plan to tip anything more. I might remove them and tip in cash so I know the people I want to tip actually get what I give them. People think they turn in cash but I know better.

Your absolutely right cruzsnooze. I have a niece that worked for Princess out of Hawaii and they do get to keep their tips all to themselves even if the auto tip is taken off.:)

Sorry to add to the tipping saga, but I really am confused.

We have the Red White & Blue promotion where tips are included.

This is our 1st time in a suite. So, I don't know how much extra we should tip for the complimentary Sabatini breakfasts or for the complimentary Crown Grill dinner. (And our cruise is a BTB in the suite, so there will be many breakfasts and 2 of the dinners.)

Thanks in advance! :)

Your absolutely right cruzsnooze. I have a niece that worked for Princess out of Hawaii and they do get to keep their tips all to themselves even if the auto tip is taken off.:)

That is simply not true. Albeit I am sure that there must be those who consider it would be "easy just to pocket the envelope" and doubtless there are those who "go for it" but they would not last in the job for long should they be caught!

This is our 1st time in a suite. So, I don't know how much extra we should tip for the complimentary Sabatini breakfasts or for the complimentary Crown Grill dinner. (And our cruise is a BTB in the suite, so there will be many breakfasts and 2 of the dinners.)

Tipping is a very personal thing.

At the end of the cruise is when we tip the Sabatinis staff.

Only you can judge what they have earned over your cruise.

As far as the Crown Grill etc we tip $10 -$20 at the end of the meal.

Nothing extra is required. Your tips are already included. If you feel like tipping someone for exceptional service, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

How is the tip included for Sabatini's breakfast every day?

"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $13.95 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children). This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet"

ALL WAITSTAFF

You don't HAVE TO tip a penny extra. Suite tips are higher then normal tips--this might reflect increased special circumstances or more cleaning. I don't know, it doesn't matter.

The wait staff at Sabbatini's and the Crown Grill are part of the tip pool. Tip more if you wish, but they are already included in your auto tip.

I'm not trying to sound "cheap." DO tip more if you wish. But do not feel obligated to do so.

[quote name='Montrealais']"To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity charge will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. The daily gratuity amounts are $13.95 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $12.95 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children). This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who have helped provide and support your cruise experience,[COLOR=Red][B] including all waitstaff[/B][/COLOR], stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet"

[B]ALL WAITSTAFF[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=moki'smommy;50597774]You don't HAVE TO tip a penny extra. Suite tips are higher then normal tips--this might reflect increased special circumstances or more cleaning. I don't know, it doesn't matter.

The wait staff at Sabbatini's and the Crown Grill are part of the tip pool. Tip more if you wish, but they are already included in your auto tip.

I'm not trying to sound "cheap." DO tip more if you wish. But do not feel obligated to do so.[/QUOTE]

I don't have to justify additional tipping. :(
The crew work hard and a $1 raise in auto tips is peanuts IMO.
We have always tipped extra and will continue to tip extra.

Not trying to make you justify anything.

IMHO, the minimum tip is the auto gratuity. Anyone who has done that has paid what is expected. Tipping extra is a personal choice. I tip extra for great service. But if the question is "what is expected," my answer remains--the automatic gratuity has it covered. I was actually surprised on my first Princess cruise at how much tipping I saw on the last night. I considered the service to have been acceptable but in no way superior.

noun, plural gratuities.

a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
something given without claim or demand.

Why oh why are we tipping on top of a tip? A tip is given for good service:confused:

So now we have to tip extra ,extra for good service:confused:

Work my butt off to cruise ,treat all people I encounter well.

I leave the auto tip on ,nothing more needed,unless some people keep making the crew expect more!

Pretty soon you will not get good service, unless you tip over and above the auto Gratuity????

If people would like to throw their money away,please throw it my way.

I am a 50 something year old public servant , who works long hours, and lives in a mobile home.

Most of us are not living high off the hog, however we deserve a vacation also.

Reader Edited by Reader0108598

[quote name='Lucky TGO']Hear we go again the fight it about to start :eek: I give this you give that who cares what you do. Do what you think is right for you and give as much as you want.
Tony[/QUOTE]

Sorry Lucky ...bad day at work :( I know better!
Last post on this thread...........

[quote name='Reader0108598']Sorry Lucky ...bad day at work :( I know better!
Last post on this thread...........

Reader[/QUOTE]
Hi Reader,
I am so sorry I did not mean that just for you. I meant it in general. Please take no offence. If we meet on a cruise I will pay for your first drink.🍷
Tony

I continue to be amazed at the number of times tipping comes up. Can't people read all the previous posts. If you want to tip extra, just do it. I can't help thinking that some people just want to big-note themselves by telling us all that they tip extra - big deal. Just leave the auto gratuities on and leave it at that. If you want to big-note yourself then tip extra.:)

[quote name='joybook']I continue to be amazed at the number of times tipping comes up. Can't people read all the previous posts. If you want to tip extra, just do it. I can't help thinking that some people just want to big-note themselves by telling us all that they tip extra - big deal. Just leave the auto gratuities on and leave it at that. If you want to big-note yourself then tip extra.:)[/QUOTE]

How about the ones that want to small note themselves? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Reader0108598']noun, plural gratuities.

a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
something given without claim or demand.

Why oh why are we tipping on top of a tip? A tip is given for good service:confused:

So now we have to tip extra ,extra for good service:confused:

Work my butt off to cruise ,treat all people I encounter well.

I leave the auto tip on ,nothing more needed,unless some people keep making the crew expect more!

Pretty soon you will not get good service, unless you tip over and above the auto Gratuity????

If people would like to throw their money away,please throw it my way.

I am a 50 something year old public servant , who works long hours, and lives in a mobile home.

Most of us are not living high off the hog, however we deserve a vacation also.

Reader[/QUOTE]

Seems we are of like mind.

[quote name='Lucky TGO']Hi Reader,
I am so sorry I did not mean that just for you. I meant it in general. Please take no offence. If we meet on a cruise I will pay for your first drink.��
Tony[/QUOTE]

Okay I fibbed, one more post:D

Tony, I took no offense . :)