HAL evolving to a better, more modern standard.

Despegue

I've done multiple cruises on HAL, X and Princess and I'd say Princess is bland, Celebrity is pretentious and HAL is ...

Huh ... and I thought I was the only one on Cruise Critic who had found Celebrity "pretentious!"

I found Princess "noisy" rather than bland.

Spot on with "comfortably elegant" for HAL, though!

JMO, YMMV!

Huh ... and I thought I was the only one on Cruise Critic who had found Celebrity "pretentious!"

I found Princess "noisy" rather than bland.

Spot on with "comfortably elegant" for HAL, though!

JMO, YMMV!

Haven't done Celebrity, but I agree that Princess was noisy. Too many announcements and loud music piped in everywhere. No quiet deck space. :mad:

Comfortably elegant... I think HAL is more comfortable than elegant. Definitely VERY comfortable and relaxing, which is what we sail HAL for.

I have a lot of sympathy for long-time HAL cruisers who feel HAL is changing in ways they don't want. I sense that what they are experiencing is akin to how I would feel if someone came into my home and made changes -- decor, floor plan, menues, etc. -- without consulting me. These cruisers have felt "at home" with HAL, but it doesn't feel so much like "home" any more, and they feel powerless to stanch the tide.

For me, personally, as soon as I start talking about wishing I lived in the "good old days," I feel "old." I have made it a life goal, no matter how old I become, not to be that kind of "old" person. I am not saying I like all modernity, all change. As a matter of fact, I hate some changes! But I want to enjoy the present, and I am trying everyday to be flexible enough to make the best of whatever the present offers, and not to grieve over what I perceive I have lost. This is especially true for changes over which I have no control, such as the ones discussed on this thread. I am entirely too prone to reminisce, regret, and turn melancholy, so trying to develop an optimistic perspective on life has become extremely important to me.

In the movie "The Right Stuff," Glennis Yeager says to her husband Chuck, "I never could stand a man who was one of those 'remember-whens.' Those bitter guys that just sit around thinking about old times." Mrs. Yeager's words ring in my ears! I never want to be that kind of "remember-when."

I loved our one and only HAL cruise, and I hope that whenever I have a chance to sail on HAL again, I will be able to take any negative changes in stride, concentrate on the positives, and have a great cruise.

(Please do not read my personal viewpoint as being condemnatory of the perspective others may have. This is my life philosophy only, and though offered as food for thought, it is not to be construed as commentary on others' choices or perspectives. We all have our own responses to life.)

Awesome post! :) One of the best I've seen

We cruise on HAL, Celebrity,and Princess mostly. Don't really care about the logo or name on the funnel.

We certainly do not find HAL more elegant, we don't find Celebrity to be pretentious in the least. Yes, we have found Princess had more noise than HAL but HAL can be very quiet, more quiet than any other ships we have been on...most expecially at night.

I suspect that those customers who are committed to a cruise line, any cruise line, tend to view that cruise line and it' competitors in a very different light to those who play the field do to speak.

Edited by iancal

I have a lot of sympathy for long-time HAL cruisers who feel HAL is changing in ways they don't want. I sense that what they are experiencing is akin to how I would feel if someone came into my home and made changes -- decor, floor plan, menues, etc. -- without consulting me. These cruisers have felt "at home" with HAL, but it doesn't feel so much like "home" any more, and they feel powerless to stanch the tide.

For me, personally, as soon as I start talking about wishing I lived in the "good old days," I feel "old." I have made it a life goal, no matter how old I become, not to be that kind of "old" person. I am not saying I like all modernity, all change. As a matter of fact, I hate some changes! But I want to enjoy the present, and I am trying everyday to be flexible enough to make the best of whatever the present offers, and not to grieve over what I perceive I have lost. This is especially true for changes over which I have no control, such as the ones discussed on this thread. I am entirely too prone to reminisce, regret, and turn melancholy, so trying to develop an optimistic perspective on life has become extremely important to me.

In the movie "The Right Stuff," Glennis Yeager says to her husband Chuck, "I never could stand a man who was one of those 'remember-whens.' Those bitter guys that just sit around thinking about old times." Mrs. Yeager's words ring in my ears! I never want to be that kind of "remember-when."

I loved our one and only HAL cruise, and I hope that whenever I have a chance to sail on HAL again, I will be able to take any negative changes in stride, concentrate on the positives, and have a great cruise.

(Please do not read my personal viewpoint as being condemnatory of the perspective others may have. This is my life philosophy only, and though offered as food for thought, it is not to be construed as commentary on others' choices or perspectives. We all have our own responses to life.)

WOW! What a great post! Thank you for reminding us that we would be happier if we concentrated on the positive rather than the negative & accept the changing world!

But had to laugh at your first paragraph & tell this story..:D

My first DH's Mother was very involved with her boys & their wives.. Her boys usually catered to her ideas, as she could become very angry if we did not take heed.. Once, when she told her DH to give his seat to my DH, I had the nerve to say " XXXX can get his own chair".. (Mistake No. 1) ..

My Mother-in-law was born in the U.S. but her parents were from Italy.. When we furnished our apartment, we didn't have much money & decorated our bedroom with hand me down furniture from his parents..The foot of the bed faced the door..Our bedroom was not square & that was how it looked best.. My MIL was very upset about it, only because she said when you die that's how they carry you out - feet first.. Again, I had the temerity to chuckle about her idea, but did not change our bed.. (Mistake No 2)

Several months later DH & I took a trip to Europe.. When we came home our bed was moved so that the side of the bed faced the door & the foot of the bed faced the long wall & window.. The rest of the furniture was jammed in.. :eek:I was a quite upset, but not wanting to cause trouble never said a word or changed it back..

Edited by serendipity1499

Several months later DH & I took a trip to Europe.. When we came home our bed was moved so that the side of the bed faced the door & the foot of the bed faced the long wall & window.. The rest of the furniture was jammed in.. :eek:I was a quite upset, but not wanting to cause trouble never said a word or changed it back..

I had a similar MIL in my 20s & early 30s, now she's my ex-MIL. I traded her in for a much nicer model.

I detest misspellings too :). But it is not just HAL. I've seen errors in lots of cruise brochures and on board as well. Use of spell check is deadly;)

One really BAD experience can finish a person. I get it. It's why we haven't returned to Celebrity or Oceania.

I am glad you have found a cruise line you are happy with,. So share - which HAL ship/cruise was so BAD you left and which cruise line has won you over?

It was the OOSTERDAM and her crew that convinced us to leave HAL. We now sail mostly with VIKING OCEANS....the STAR in October from NY and the SUN'S 141 day world cruise between Dec 15, 2017 and May whenever 2018... Between them we're taking O's INSIGNIA from Miami to Honolulu but not because we want O but we want to sail back to our beloved Sandwich Islands where we will remain for some weeks...then go to Seattle for 10 days...we still have plenty of HAL friends there...

so NOW curious minds know! ;)

I've long thought the logo represented the sailing ship about to be run down by the huge liner. Guess the wreckage is now behind it.

Until I saw it explained somewhere, that's what I saw in the logo as well.

Well, it could have been explained in any number of references shown about the ship.

If you want to know.... what is the big white 'X' on the Celebrity funnels?

Does anyone know or bother to know what it represents?

Does where anyone the colours and shape on the funnels of the Carnival ships?

Does anyone know where the orange and red on the Cunard funnels?

How about the Blue C on the yellow of the Costa ships?

The 'old' logo of the Nw AMSTERDAM with the HALVE MAEN makes far most sense than any other cruise lines!

...what is the big white 'X' on the Celebrity funnels?

Well, actually, yes. It stands for the Greek letter "chi", the first letter of Chandris (a Greek company), the former name of Celebrity. But then I am a wealth of useless information :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

...So share - which HAL ship/cruise was so BAD you left...

It was the OOSTERDAM and her crew that convinced us to leave HAL...

That must have been a REALLY bad cruise to cause you to disembark a month early and to cancel hundreds of days of bookings upon return!

I have been away from HAL for a few years now, and am a bit concerned that it will have slipped too much. I have sailed Princess and Celebrity since last on HAL. They have suffered cutbacks as well. I am considering doing a short 3 or 4 night repo on HAL just to "test the waters" before booking anything longer.

Regarding logos, I prefer HAL's older logo with a visual reference to its past, but think the new one could be much worse. It shed its former sailing ship reference to the past , perhaps to help appeal to a younger demographic, but kept its overall feel.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar

Isn't that basically the old Canadian Pacific Railway (Pac-Man) logo, Captain?

Good idea to check it out for yourself since cruising is such a personal experience - what one likes the next may not. For us HAL's new directions are not to our liking so we are debating whether to try once more or go back to Cunard. Just remember that a repo cruise is not always a good indication of the line overall...things might not be up to the usual standards.

Good idea to check it out for yourself since cruising is such a personal experience...Just remember that a repo cruise is not always a good indication of the line overall...things might not be up to the usual standards.

Good point, and will keep that in mind. I figure that service may be more rushed or abbreviated on a shorter cruise, but at least I can get a feel for the overall maintenance and condition of things.

Well, actually, yes. It stands for the Greek letter "chi", the first letter of Chandris (a Greek company), the former name of Celebrity. But then I am a wealth of useless information :).

Well Done! Come on... what about the others? :)

Good idea to check it out for yourself since cruising is such a personal experience - what one likes the next may not. For us HAL's new directions are not to our liking so we are debating whether to try once more or go back to Cunard. Just remember that a repo cruise is not always a good indication of the line overall...things might not be up to the usual standards.

You are quite right. Over the years it was quite easy to pick their cruises.

Royal Viking and Seabourn for the luxury.

Cunard for 'Class' ... I mean in the good way.

Holland America.... Classy, but cheaper than Cunard.

Princess.... cheaper than HAL and not quite better in food.

RCCL & NCL OK but cramped.

Carnival. Oops. Those 'Fun Ship'.

These days HAL is almost different from Princess, RCI, NCL. Why even pick a cruise.... apart from itinerary there is not much to choose.

When Carnival Corporation took on HAL in the 1980s they wanted a company to offer the Fun Ship and then a bit up-market company. People could start cruising on Carnival and move up to HAL. Cover the market. Not any more. Hard to tell the difference. You can join them or set them apart. Seemed to work very well for the past 30 years. I'm no so sure now.

I think the issue for So Cal Cruiser's 3 or 4 night repo is not the repositioning aspect, it's the length. Short cruises are never as good as the longer ones. Maybe it's because people don't have enough time to settle in and relax before they're off the ship. There's just a different vibe. Not only on HAL, I think it happens on a lot of mini cruises. People trying to cram too much cruise into a few days.

Longer repositioning cruises are interesting. Often they stop at ports not on the typical shorter cruises. We did a repo from Montreal to FLL a few years ago and it's an itinerary that I would happily do again.

You are quite right. Over the years it was quite easy to pick their cruises.

Royal Viking and Seabourn for the luxury.

Cunard for 'Class' ... I mean in the good way.

Holland America.... Classy, but cheaper than Cunard.

Princess.... cheaper than HAL and not quite better in food.

RCCL & NCL OK but cramped.

Carnival. Oops. Those 'Fun Ship'.

These days HAL is almost different from Princess, RCI, NCL. Why even pick a cruise.... apart from itinerary there is not much to choose.

When Carnival Corporation took on HAL in the 1980s they wanted a company to offer the Fun Ship and then a bit up-market company. People could start cruising on Carnival and move up to HAL. Cover the market. Not any more. Hard to tell the difference. You can join them or set them apart. Seemed to work very well for the past 30 years. I'm no so sure now.

I like your descriptions/ratings. Where would you put Saga on this scale?

Maybe they are doing away with the librarian position?

On recent Oosterdam cruise, what's left of Library, computer work stations (4) are now in Crow's Nest. NO Librarian, NO Printer if you need documents. Told if you need documents printed, they would give you an e-mail address at front desk and you would have to go there to get them.

I missed terribly the intimacy of a Piano Bar with interaction with audience. With 9 HAL cruises under my belt, the solo Piano Bar was always "standing room only"

The new Dueling Piano players were below average in ability and repetoire'

Could not handle requests and if you wanted to sit at the bar, your back was to the entertainers. Each night were fewer and fewer attendees

B. B. King's blues lounge was really the only Dance Venue on the ship unless you went to late Crow's Nest

Well, it could have been explained in any number of references shown about the ship.

The 'old' logo of the Nw AMSTERDAM with the HALVE MAEN makes far most sense than any other cruise lines!

The "X" reprresents the Greek letter Chi forChandris , It was Chandris b rothers who founded Celeb rity. cruise line. We actually sailed with the two of them on Zenith and our table was b eside theirs in the mDR :) Thy were very friendly and nier.

Edited by sail7seas

Here is a llink to explain Carnival's whale tail funnel shttp://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2010/08/17/how-carnival-got-their-funnel/ls. ;0

Edited by sail7seas

I like your descriptions/ratings. Where would you put Saga on this scale?

Oh..... I'd say about at Cunard.... Princess Grill class +. It is very much like the old SAGAFJORD/VISTFJORD and has kept that style. After all, most of the people running Saga ships were all Cunard people... Captains, Hotel Managers, Pursers. These days that have two Holland America captain!

Saga is very much like a combination of QE2 and old ROTTERDAM.