HAL evolving to a better, more modern standard.

Despegue

Just off Eurodam, review will follow later, but I just wanted to give a quick Heads Up...

On Eurodam, HAL has introduced the new Koningsdam ( and future fleetwide) china, uniforms and tweeked menus.

In one word: Bravo!

Finally, we see modern white plating (still Rosenthal) , combined with the traditional gold/blue HAL rim on newly designed bread plates, resulting in MUCH improved presentation of the food in the MDR.

Uniforms are in the process of being changed, and the new ones are much more professional.

Cast Entertertainment on Eurodam was the best so far on HAL, and much more modern than on her sister ships.

Continue this path HAL and you will not only survive, you will thrive.

I think that change is necessary to present a fresh and re-vitalized product. Of course, keep some of the classics that HAL lovers want, but new cruisers are looking for a different dynamic. I'm looking forward to our next HAL cruise in April and anxious to see the upgrades.

I was on the Prinsendam 2 weeks ago and I did notice the new dishes and uniforms. Looked very nice as far as I was concerned. When we boarded they also boarded a complete new crew of entertainers. So we didn't know what to expect. They were outstanding. We always thought HAL had good shows in the past but these were Broadway quality (and I have been to a few Broadway shows to compare). So we enjoyed all the entertainment in all the areas of the ship.

I would rather have improved food on the old plates, rather than the other way round...

+1 on that. I'm on the Oosterdam and there has been a change for the worse with the food since I was on her in March. I'm hoping it is because this is a very port-intensive itinerary (Med).

Sadly HAL has done away with too many old traditions which set them a part from the other cruise lines.[/size][/font]

Can you expand on this, please? We're soon leaving on our first HAL cruise and the search for a more traditional onboard experience is what led us to give HAL a try.

For instance, the dress code is now more modern. Neither jacket, tie nor tuxes are ever required. Specialty dining reservations may be made online prior to sailing. Libraries will soon only contain large format books and other publications which are not compatible with electronic readers.

They had to getr new china after they made the horrid choice to change the HAL Lfgo. Waste ofmoney fpr no reason. The pevfious Logo was perfectly fine and much liked by majority of crew and guests. What is the advantage to the new logo? I only see downside. Aded costs to replace all the logos on the ships funnels etc. :rolleyes: So many other places that money could have been better spent. IMO

Edited by sail7seas

HAL is in desperate need of a long delayed remake and revamp. It will take some time to complete and hopefully will include additional new builds.

Like it or not HAL has a reputation as being a cruise for older, mature, more sedate cruisers and a smokers cruise line. I suspect that HAL wants to change both of these perceptions. Neither will help their bottom line or attract as many new customers.

Their new ship Koningsdam attracted me. Just made final payment! I imagine it won't be very long before the smoking policy changes. Smoking is something our parents and grandparents used to do!

This is an interesting topic, and is sure to solicit comments. There will be some who applaud moving HAL into a more modern aesthetic, and then there will others who will bemoan the changes and prefer they return to the "old" way.

I for one will be happy to see a modernization for HAL, both visually and also in terms of the shipboard experience. In order to remain competitive, they must do this.

They had to getr new china after they made the horrid choice to change the HAL Lfgo. Waste ofmoney fpr no reason. The pevfious Logo was perfectly fine and much liked by majority of crew and guests. What is the advantage to the new logo? I only see downside. Aded costs to replace all the logos on the ships funnels etc. :rolleyes: So many other places that money could have been better spent. IMO

I agree 100% sail. The new logo says nothing. It is graphically void of any statement about HAL past or future. I have done graphic design in my life and the new logo would have never made it past my desk.

I hope HAL will keep the silver cutlery and not replace it with the trendy stainless steel variety that one sees almost everywhere these days. Fine china, linen and silver go a long way to compensate for the often mediocre food.

Becoming modern is often a euphemism for the lowering of standards. The dress code comes to mind, but I suppose it is inevitable. Some of us are thankful that formal clothes have not been banned.

One aspect of becoming modern that appears to have not changed is the smoking policy, but I will make no comment.

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder, and this beholder is not seeing Holland America changes as for the "better". Certainly a change in dishes and uniforms is form, not substance.

The substantial changes, such as down grading of the dinner menus, quality of meats (especially beef), removal of the Piano Bars and Piano Lounges, starting/ending evening entertainment at earlier and earlier hours, loss of quiet, non-revenue producing areas in which to sit, relax, and contemplate, squeezing more people into not proportionately greater areas, are most assuredly NOT for the "better".

I have to wonder if the changes will be the success HAL would wish them to be.

Ruth......have you been on a Crystal cruise? I think you would love them:D It is everything cruising should be and they have a very faithful base and you would fit beautifully!

It is a bit more expensive but it is pretty close to all inclusive. Wonderful old school cruising but still up to date with a crew that knows how to treat their passengers.....look into it.:D

Ruth......have you been on a Crystal cruise? I think you would love them:D It is everything cruising should be and they have a very faithful base and you would fit beautifully!

It is a bit more expensive but it is pretty close to all inclusive. Wonderful old school cruising but still up to date with a crew that knows how to treat their passengers.....look into it.:D

No, I haven't sailed on Crystal, but am willing to take a look at them. The difficulty is the increase in price. I understand that they are not significantly more expensive in the higher level cabins, but I usually book the "foul ball" cabins (low & inside), so the price difference is typically greater.

I did try Oceania, but found they were about 4 times the price, and not as good as HAL in many important areas (service, food, entertainment, shore excursions).

I have also looked at Seabourn (not for me), and plan to take a harder look at Saga. They do sound promising.

Edited by RuthC

We have done several Crystal cruise and found HAL far more to our liking. Not to knock Crystal because they do have lovely ships, mainly in the decor, but not in layout, deck plans or cabin size.

We found limited itineraries, obsequious staff, overly fussy service, occasionally better food, but not by much, limited onboard program appeals, few choices for quiet places either indoors or out, and any number of other deficiencies including the more Eastern European crews which never offered the same genuine warmth we have found on all HAL ships with their primarily Indonesian and Filipino crews.

My guess is Ruth would find Crystal similar to her experiences on Oceania, but I will best let her speak for herself. My own conclusion is one cannot really compare Crystal to HAL -two very different products appealing to different clientele. Each has its high and low points. We liked Crystal for some things, but felt really is not worth the premium price when compared to HAL. But then we travel for unique itineraries; not an on board pampering experience. So view my comments from that perspective.

We just recently looked at a re-positioning US west coastal cruise on Crystal which we accepted as simply a pampering experience because it certainly offered no new ports for us being Californians. Then for the heck of it we also looked at what HAL was offering and found the Prinsendam was doing the full Amazon RT out of Fort Lauderdale, twice as long, far more interesting ports for approximately the same price. HAL won again.

We always do verandas on cruiselines but on Crystal we do a window with obstruction of many different versions just so we can get on this wonderful line.....life is about trade offs;)

They do not have inside cabins. Please look into them....pax that are intellectual and experienced cruisers is what you will find. Lectures that are beyond expectation and food that never disappoints!

I better stop before HAL monitors kick me out :p