HAL evolving to a better, more modern standard.

Despegue

obsequious staff, overly fussy service

I would hate that. Really. Good, unobtrusive service when wanted is what I'm looking for!

I may give Celebrity another try. I took them in 2004 and don't have anything against them but for some reason I've never cruised them again.

Edited by Wehwalt

... The pevfious Logo was perfectly fine and much liked by majority of crew and guests ... Aded costs to replace all the logos on the ships funnels etc. :rolleyes: So many other places that money could have been better spent. IMO

While I generally agree with this Post, I would like to know where I can find the survey that supports the highlighted portion above. I am particularly interested in knowing the "numbers behind the numbers", such as the demographic makeup of the respondents who favored the old logo vs. that of those who favor the new one, what was the exact percentage of respondents who liked the old logo better and what was the level (low, moderate, high, extremely high) of their preference. So please let me know where I can find the HAL logo survey results.

What about the uniforms has changed? Please don't say the traditional dining room attendants in the red hats are no longer. That was such a special touch that added wonderful old-world charm.

The Yum Yums guys! Yes, a nice touch, classy, too.

Nothing wrong with "old world charm" except it may not go with the all new modern HAL unfortunately (example: the new logo)

I would LOVE to see some photos of the new uniforms across the board.

We just recently looked at a re-positioning US west coastal cruise on Crystal which we accepted as simply a pampering experience because it certainly offered no new ports for us being Californians. Then for the heck of it we also looked at what HAL was offering and found the Prinsendam was doing the full Amazon RT out of Fort Lauderdale, twice as long, far more interesting ports for approximately the same price. HAL won again.

We also think that one of the more appealing aspects of HAL is its unique itineraries, which is our primary criteria in selecting a cruise vacation. The challenge for HAL will be to transition to a more up-to-date onboard experience without sacrificing some of the quality indicators which have been alluded to in this thread.

Until they add the rock climbing walls, eliminate all sense of decorum in the mess halls (that is what carnival is offering these days) and start calling everyone "you guys" the true new cruisers will not be happy nor comfortable with ship board life. They love the beer and BBQ in the back yard stuff and wish to carry it to all corners of the world via cruise ships. Baseball hats on backwards is their battle cry.

No smoking policy would make me a happy camper but no library makes me sad:(

I will drag my own books with me as a trade off for no smoking:D

I'm with you re the library. Why was it necessary to do away with most of the books? They had the room on the ships. Does HAL consider their clientele to be illiterate? As much as I love my ebook, I love even more having a hard cover book in my lap. Thanks, HAL! You've lost me on that change.

We don't really about the logo or the change to the logo. Nor do we care what color the ship hull is. Dinnerware is not an issue either...as long as they have it. They are meaningless to us.

We care about the product... what is inside. The condition of the ship, facilities, food quality, service level, etc.

I have to assume that HAL will be addressing all of these issues and not simply changing the logo and the dinnerware on their ships.

Edited by iancal

For instance, the dress code is now more modern. Neither jacket, tie nor tuxes are ever required. Specialty dining reservations may be made online prior to sailing. Libraries will soon only contain large format books and other publications which are not compatible with electronic readers.

And as the saying goes: All innovations are not necessarily improvements.

And as the saying goes: All innovations are not necessarily improvements.

Sadly when you have a pant load of cabins to fill every day of the year, one must seek shallower pools and those are the folks that feel extremely uncomfortable in anything better than basic shirt and shorts and jeans. And books - well that is another story. If close to 40% of the US public is illiterate after obtaining a HS diploma why bother with a library when they can squeeze in a few coin op video style games or the like.

i'm with you re the library. Why was it necessary to do away with most of the books? They had the room on the ships. Does hal consider their clientele to be illiterate? As much as i love my ebook, i love even more having a hard cover book in my lap. Thanks, hal! You've lost me on that change.

amen!!!

I'm with you re the library. Why was it necessary to do away with most of the books? They had the room on the ships. Does HAL consider their clientele to be illiterate? As much as I love my ebook, I love even more having a hard cover book in my lap. Thanks, HAL! You've lost me on that change.

Maybe they are doing away with the librarian position?

Maybe they are doing away with the librarian position?

Which had become a shared position as the Internet person as well. At least on the ships I have been on as of late.

Which had become a shared position as the Internet person as well. At least on the ships I have been on as of late.

My first thought was: What librarian position? It has been a do-it-yourself on the ships that I have been on. And it is on Cunard, as well. I don't think HAL saved much money on the doing away with that position. I think that I feel somewhat insulted! HAL appears to think that libraries are beyond the pay grade of its typical customer. The funny thing is, on any ship that I have been on, the libraries are usually filled with people. Browsing through the various books and trying new authors was part of the fun of the cruise.

HAL needs to rethink its policy on this one. But undoubtedly won't.

We don't really about the logo or the change to the logo. Nor do we care what color the ship hull is. Dinnerware is not an issue either...as long as they have it. They are meaningless to us.

We care about the product... what is inside. The condition of the ship, facilities, food quality, service level, etc.

I have to assume that HAL will be addressing all of these issues and not simply changing the logo and the dinnerware on their ships.

I really do not care about any of those things except the condition of the ship, experience of the officers, and training of the crew. I sail HAL because it's unique itineraries safely take me where I want to go at a reasonable cost.

I really do not care about any of those things except the condition of the ship, experience of the officers, and training of the crew. I sail HAL because it's unique itineraries safely take me where I want to go at a reasonable cost.

... its unique itineraries...

My first thought was: What librarian position? It has been a do-it-yourself on the ships that I have been on. And it is on Cunard, as well. I don't think HAL saved much money on the doing away with that position. I think that I feel somewhat insulted! HAL appears to think that libraries are beyond the pay grade of its typical customer. The funny thing is, on any ship that I have been on, the libraries are usually filled with people. Browsing through the various books and trying new authors was part of the fun of the cruise.

HAL needs to rethink its policy on this one. But undoubtedly won't.

Part-time for sure ;).Self serve check out for us too ;)

But they are there certain times and mostly helping with Internet questions.

I am very interested in OP comment about the entertainment on Eurodam.

We last sailed it in January and were disappointed in the quality of the dancers in the production shows. My DH blurted out today 6 months later that they were horrible--not something I would expect him to remember.

I remember one show about looking for an apartment. Is that still the show?

We also remember Sarah doing trivia and pool games and being late and very disorganized then crabby. Is she still there? Who is the CD?

We are down to this and a Celebrity sailing in December and we love the itinerary of this but don't want to have to sit through aweful shows or deal with Sarah.

And is the piano bar going away:confused::eek:?

No, I haven't sailed on Crystal, but am willing to take a look at them. The difficulty is the increase in price. I understand that they are not significantly more expensive in the higher level cabins, but I usually book the "foul ball" cabins (low & inside), so the price difference is typically greater.

I did try Oceania, but found they were about 4 times the price, and not as good as HAL in many important areas (service, food, entertainment, shore excursions).

I have also looked at Seabourn (not for me), and plan to take a harder look at Saga. They do sound promising.

I've been watching Viking Oceans- is looking very promising. With more ships coming online looks like a nice alternative to Seabourn.

Ruth......have you been on a Crystal cruise? I think you would love them:D It is everything cruising should be and they have a very faithful base and you would fit beautifully!

It is a bit more expensive but it is pretty close to all inclusive. Wonderful old school cruising but still up to date with a crew that knows how to treat their passengers.....look into it.:D

I think the big hangup for RuthC would be that nearly all the cabins are tub/shower combinations. Perhaps that might change with an improved knee but I don't think it would work today.

Roy

Until they add the rock climbing walls, eliminate all sense of decorum in the mess halls (that is what carnival is offering these days) and start calling everyone "you guys" the true new cruisers will not be happy nor comfortable with ship board life. They love the beer and BBQ in the back yard stuff and wish to carry it to all corners of the world via cruise ships. Baseball hats on backwards is their battle cry.

"You guys" rang a bell. We had the best waiter on one 42 day HAL cruise. He is now an assistant DRM. After a week and an earful of DH's Bahasa every night, he would say, "and what did you guys do today? Should I translate that for you guys?".

Bright, funny, familiar, not stuffy, we loved him! Not the typical HAL waiter, but on a long cruise, just right!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Okay, for sure if you don't care. :) Is itOkay if some (many ? ) of us care about some of those things? :D

Edited by sail7seas

Okay, for sure if you don't care. :) Is itOkay if some (many ? ) of us care about some of those things? :D

Dear Sail

Yes, it is perfectly OK! Lots of us long time HAL cruisers do care about some of the things that have made HAL unique, different, gracious and grand.