Dress for 9 year old boy in MDR

Mum81

We are on a transpacific cruise (19 nights). We live in a very warm climate and my son (9 years old) does not own any long trousers or jeans. Will he be able to eat in the MDR in dress shorts and a collared dress shirt or will the long pants be enforced?

I'm not trying to break the rules, I will buy them if it's required. It's just a lot of pants to buy (long cruise) for a child that will grow out of them before he ever wears them again.

Wear whatever you want him too. Dress shorts and collared shirts will be fine. I cant see long pants being enforced for a 9 year old.

Thanks. Looks like you are getting on the Solstice when we get off. It's our first time with Celebrity and we can't wait!

I think you will be fine with nice shorts for him. Goodness, we were on the Equinox at Christmas time and in the Select Dining area on Christmas Day, there were teenage girls in short blue jean shorts :eek::eek::eek:

No one from the ship said anything about their attire.

The dress code says no shorts. It doesn't mention exceptions for children, so let's turn this around. Suppose he shows up in shorts and the Maitre D is enforcing the dress code, then what would you do? That very well could happen and no one here can tell definitively you that it won't. It's especially likely on the Evening Chic nights. I would be prepared if I were you. You don't have to spend a fortune on clothes for a growing boy. There are second hand stores, and other low-cost options. And he wouldn't need a new pair of long pants for each night. If he's careful he can wear the same pair over and over.

Just to be on the safe side you might consider buying him a pair of black pants and tan pants just in case there is an issue. If he is just wearing them to dinner you could probably get away with just 2 pair for the trip unless he spills something all over them.

We are on a transpacific cruise (19 nights). We live in a very warm climate and my son (9 years old) does not own any long trousers or jeans. Will he be able to eat in the MDR in dress shorts and a collared dress shirt or will the long pants be enforced?

I'm not trying to break the rules, I will buy them if it's required. It's just a lot of pants to buy (long cruise) for a child that will grow out of them before he ever wears them again.

I recommend that you have no more than three (3) pair of long pants for him as you never know what other venues or times he will either want or need long pants for, even if it is a TP. Reduce the # pair of shorts to accommodate this, I think would work well. He could wear one pair of long pants upon embarkation... that solves a part of any packing issue.

bon voyage...

The dress code says no shorts. It doesn't mention exceptions for children, so let's turn this around. Suppose he shows up in shorts and the Maitre D is enforcing the dress code, then what would you do? That very well could happen and no one here can tell definitively you that it won't. It's especially likely on the Evening Chic nights. I would be prepared if I were you. You don't have to spend a fortune on clothes for a growing boy. There are second hand stores, and other low-cost options. And he wouldn't need a new pair of long pants for each night. If he's careful he can wear the same pair over and over.

Agree with above from experience of having children on a cruise. I would bring a pair of pants. It is quite possible that the Maitre'd the first night will ask you to have him come with pants on subsequent nights. It's all going to depend on who is at the door, you might get away with it but then again you might not, why take the chance.

Edited by dkjretired

I agree with the others. I would have at least one pair of black long pants packed for him. You may never need them but then again, you might. Black goes with everything and if he is only wearing them a couple of hours a day, he can get away with one pair. If necessary, there is always laundry service.

Agree. BTW the Maitre D on our 2 April 2016 Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse did turn away men and boys at the entrance of the MDR (early traditional) wearing shorts. I did see him turn those wearing shorts away after the first evening. On the first evening I was stopped on the way out of the MDR as I was wearing shorts and the Maitre D at that time advised me very politely that shorts would not be permitted in the MRD for the evening meals for the rest of the Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

Yes he will be allowed to wear shorts in the MDR in the morning for breakfast. Also on sea days for lunch. He's not a toddler so the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening also apply to him.

Edited by davekathy

Shorts will probably be fine most nights, however on Chic nights he probably should wear long pants. I would take one pair, keep the tags on them and then if he doesn't need them return to your store at home. They could also be cut off into shorts after the trip.

I must have one of the few young men who likes to dress up. My son is now 10 and looks forward to dressing for dinner each night on a cruise. I think he would be embarrassed to go to the dining room in shorts.

I think it started on his first cruise at age 3. I bought one of those cheap ebay tuxes. He loved the attention he got while wearing it.

For a week's cruise, we take two pairs of pants -- khaki and navy. We usually buy them from the school uniform section at Target for $15. He has suit separates for formal/chic nights.

Here is his typical dinner casual.

IMG_2334.JPG

And formal night. I think we tried to get one too many cruises out of that suit! :)

DSCN0992.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

DSCN0992.JPG

I'm swooning over your handsome little guy. I'd suggest a pair of khaki slacks similar to your first photo to the OP. They can be dressed up or down, and they're lightweight. Shorts the first night aren't an issue because there are sometimes issues with luggage arriving on time. You could have a conversation the first night with MDR staff, but I'm sure you'll be glad you have the long pants.

Just to be on the safe side you might consider buying him a pair of black pants and tan pants just in case there is an issue. If he is just wearing them to dinner you could probably get away with just 2 pair for the trip unless he spills something all over them.

This is a god idea..you can switch off and if it turns out shorts are ok, you can use the long pants for the dressier nights...he'll feel grown up and maybe you can get a nice family photo

I must have one of the few young men who likes to dress up. My son is now 10 and looks forward to dressing for dinner each night on a cruise. I think he would be embarrassed to go to the dining room in shorts.

I think it started on his first cruise at age 3. I bought one of those cheap ebay tuxes. He loved the attention he got while wearing it.

For a week's cruise, we take two pairs of pants -- khaki and navy. We usually buy them from the school uniform section at Target for $15. He has suit separates for formal/chic nights.

Here is his typical dinner casual.

IMG_2334.JPG

And formal night. I think we tried to get one too many cruises out of that suit! :)

DSCN0992.JPG

2 great looks!

Hello!

I thought I would offer an alternative that worked well for our family when our son was 9. We went to dinner together in the MDR for the first night, which after about an hour our son found pretty boring. He did not act out, he just found the sitting to be long, while we enjoy lingering over dinner during a cruise. He was having a great time in kid's club, and preferred eating in the buffet (pizza AND sushi!), so after that first night, we would take him up to the buffet and sit with him for dinner, then take him to the kids club for the evening activities while we went to dinner in the MDR.

I hope you enjoy your trip and time together. Cheers!

At 9 years old, your son will feel more grownup if he is in conformance with other passengers and not looking like a little boy if he is in long pants at dinner.

You can certainly get away with two or three pair of long pants for the cruise.

Uhh no. Two, maybe three pairs tops. Get them at a thrift store and it won't cost much at all. He can change into them for dinner and out them right after and he can get 2-3 wearings each

Hi Everyone,

As a reminder, please refrain from starting new Dress code threads. Kindly ask your related questions, on the Dress Code "Sticky" , http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373699 located at the top of the Celebrity forum.

Going forward, any susequqent dress code threads will be locked. Thanks for your understanding and participation.

This thread is now closed.