Barcelona Airport

jnbpeskypenguin

We're doing a 12 day European cruise which ends in Barcelona. We're flying out of the Barcelona airport with American Airlines to Philadelphia, has anyone had experience with this airport/airline and how early do you recommend being at the airport?

Suggested time is approx 3 hours.

We flew Delta from Barcelona airport on July 15, 2016.

We had a 10:30 am flight, arrived at airport at 7:30 am.

Checkin and going through security was pretty quick in my book. Lines were not bad. Got to our gate area by 8:00.

Two things to know: 1. if you want to do some shopping take the escalator to lower level before you go through gate security. Limited shops at our gate area.

2,boarding our Delta plane , we had to take a bus from gate and then climb up stairs to plane on the tarmac! It was really hot and if one had any mobiltiy problems, I do know what accomodations they have for you. It is a steep climb with your carry ons.

Checkin and going through security was pretty quick in my book. Lines were not bad. Got to our gate area by 8:00.

Two things to know: 1. if you want to do some shopping take the escalator to lower level before you go through gate security. Limited shops at our gate area.

2,boarding our Delta plane , we had to take a bus from gate and then climb up stairs to plane on the tarmac! It was really hot and if one had any mobiltiy problems, I do know what accomodations they have for you. It is a steep climb with your carry ons.

I think that is the same flight we have on the 1st of October. The comment about climbing the stairs is bad for me. I will hold everyone up as I can do stairs but extremely slow.

Edited by PatyCake

The comment about climbing the stairs is bad for me. I will hold everyone up as I can do stairs but extremely slow.
Then talk to your airline. They will make arrangements for you, depending on what you can and can't readily do. AIUI, there are three categories of "wheelchair" assistance, and a discussion with the airline is likely to be able to get you the level of assistance which is appropriate for you if it is needed on the day.

I flew on that American flight in May, and have flown out of BCN many times. It is a good idea to give yourself 3 hours, so what if you breeze through, better then tapping your foot, because of line snags. :)

This airport is completely wheelchair accessible With my arrivals/departures, I did not encountered any stairs on that last trip, was at a gate. But I have had stairs before there. As suggested, contact American, closer to your trip.

I do use the cheap, excellent service - of the airport bus, to get there. I always walk and use Metro/buses in Barcelona not cabs. (including to and from the cruise port)

Edited by Budget Queen

The comment about climbing the stairs is bad for me. I will hold everyone up as I can do stairs but extremely slow.

Then talk to your airline. They will make arrangements for you, depending on what you can and can't readily do. AIUI, there are three categories of "wheelchair" assistance

The alternative is simply to board last so that you don't hold others up in the boarding process. :)

The only downside is that there may not be any remaining overhead bag space, but if you have mobility issues I would assume you are probably not carrying on any bags large enough that they must go in the overhead anyway, and can just put your small personal item under the seat in front of you. ;)

We flew on American from BCN in June. We arrived 3 hours early. Flying Business allowed us to bypass the check-in line, and I can't remember how long the regular line was. We immediately went through security and ventured into a huge shopping area. Beware that you are not close to American's gates at this point at all! We used the Business Class Lounge, and their personnel said to leave the lounge 15 min before our boarding time to allow enough time. We left about 20 minutes before, walked about 10 minutes wayyyyy across the airport, and arrived at Passport Control where we had to get in line behind about 150 other people from our flight. There was no priority line for this. Behind us ended up being about another 100 people soon after. Once through, we sailed right onto the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We had 10:30am flight on Delta on May 5th from BCN and had a regular jetway entrance into plane, no bus to it or steep climb up stairs.

The rest of our experience was like yours, lines were not bad and security check went quickly.

Usually at the boarding gate there is a very first call for people needing assistance in boarding. They get to go to the aircraft first. Then people with small children and then only the other passengers. So let the gate staff know your difficulties when you get there and they will take care of you as they know if there is a jetty or stairs. Assistance does not only mean wheelchair but mobility issues in general.

I flew on that American flight in May, and have flown out of BCN many times. It is a good idea to give yourself 3 hours, so what if you breeze through, better then tapping your foot, because of line snags. :)

This airport is completely wheelchair accessible With my arrivals/departures, I did not encountered any stairs on that last trip, was at a gate. But I have had stairs before there. As suggested, contact American, closer to your trip.

I do use the cheap, excellent service - of the airport bus, to get there. I always walk and use Metro/buses in Barcelona not cabs. (including to and from the cruise port)

Can you please tell me more details about the airport bus, from the port to the airport? thank you

Edited by galelynn

Can you please tell me more details about the airport bus, from the port to the airport?
The main airport bus service is the Aerobus which runs between Placa Catalunya and the airport. This is good and good value, so long as one of the handful of stops is convenient for you. I'm not aware of any direct airport bus service to/from the port, so if you did this all by public transport I think you'd have to change buses somewhere.

Can you please tell me more details about the airport bus, from the port to the airport? thank you

I never leave Barcelona same day as getting off a cruise.

There is a port bus, that does take you to the Columbus statue, then I walk up La Rambla, or take the Metro. I have NO problem doing this- every trip. It is not for everyone, essential, is- you must pack light, able to handle all your own bags, and like to walk. :) My preference for cheap transfers and travel.