Anything positive to say about NCL?

Clancampbell

Despite all the changes that have a small group of people making lots of noise around here, if you read the posts from people returning from cruises, you'll see overwhelmingly positive comments.

For me, each and every cruise I've taken with NCL has improved over the previous one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, you can still have a great time on NCL but I'm not sure I'd say the reviews are overwhelmingly positive since the "loved it" percentage in the Member review section has dropped about 8% for NCL overall and 5 to 10% for each of the ships. They need to start doing some things to turn that trend around.

I had a wonderful cruise on the Star, which was my first experience on NCL. When I got home, I promptly booked a sailing on the Epic, which turned out to be a huge waste of time and money.

I won't bore you with the details, but it was so horrible that we looked into abandoning ship early and flying home from a different port, but the cost of forfeiting our original plane tickets, buying new ones, and retrieving our car from a different airport scuppered that plan.

We won't sail NCL again because overall and with recent changes, it doesn't deliver the experience we want, but I'll always speak positively of our Star sailing.

In general people like to whine about the littlest things. My wife and I have never had an issue with NCL. The changes made over the last year or two effect us very little. No lobster.....no big deal

I don't have a favorite line - I alternate between RCL and NCL and overall I agree with those they say they are more similar than different and each does small thing I prefer.

I love traveling by myself, but still meeting people that I can go to the club with - so the studio ships are perfect (and last time I wasn't even in a studio - I just joined them for happy hour!)

I had a service issue at breakfast on the BA (basically the waitress in savor or taste ignored me at the table for 45 min while serving and taking orders from everyone around me) The manager from cagneys the night before saw I was upset (almost crying - it was really hard to explain how frustrating the experience was)and was very nice. He must have put a note in my account because I went to O'Sheenans later that day and when I order a small ice cream without me asking the hostess there brought me a huge sundae and comped it. It was a small but such a nice touch and it made such a good impression on me that they wanted their guests to be happy that it really stayed with me and is one of the reasons I am back on the BA in 3 days.

I also second that the specialities are the way to go (and I feel that on all lines not just NCL - but NCL has the best and most options in this area). I really like the sushi place and ocean blue and of course Cagney and LeBistro.

I also have never sailed in the haven and I got an upsell offer for the December cruise and did not take it. I have been on the epic, sun, and breakaway in the last 6 years and it was studio, oceanview, balcony and back to studio.

I do love the spa pass and might try for vibe.

My DW are embarking on our first NCL cruise at the end of September and are very much looking forward to it.

I have to say though that there are so many negative comments on CC about the cruise line and it is starting to do my head in.

The negativity will have no bearing on our excitement and we intend to enjoy ourselves irrespective of drinks packages, Pepsi only, water price etc etc etc.

What I want to know is do people have anything good to say about NCL? It would make a refreshing change to see some positivity here for a change. Perhaps you can tell me your top things about NCL; I am sure it can't be that difficult.

All you cruisers with the weight of the world on your shoulders are not allowed to play 😁

OK, let me start with my go to statement I make when I see the petty negative things that some people say about any cruise line. "You make the cruise. Not the cruise line". With that said there are some instances that could throw a monkey wrench in your cruise. Tell the proper manager's (politely) and move on. I've sailed on NCL about 15 times. Always was pleased with the cleanliness of the ships, service and food. Got to know some of the officer's and staff so that always make's the next sailing more enjoyable. Looking forward to my first sailing on Epic next January. Take all the negative comments with a grain of salt. As an example I just got off Carnival Valor (had to use some credits). The negative comments about that ship were plenty. I went anyway and had one heck of a time. So don't let those negative people get in your head.

Just to reiterate....

Newbie or fairly newbie Ncl cruisers will love Ncl

I on the other hand have cruised Ncl many times

Also cruised princess. Ccl. Dcl

I know and recognize the Ncl reductions in amenities

I know and recognize certain differences in cruise lines

For that reason I am fairly certain Ncl will not be my first choice after my certs are used...but they might be if pricing is right

I am also fairly certain my next Europe trip will be land based

But I am looking to try celebrity regardless of pricing....something I would never have said before the Ncl changes under fdr

But let's be clear here....I'm a seasoned cruiser....and know my choices and make the best choice for me and mine

A newbie will fall all over Ncl and love it because they are just that....newbies....not seasoned. Of course they will get a good experience nonetheless

Heck a newbie to cape cod could book a fishing motel on route 28 and think they are in heaven

I on the other hand am currently sitting on the deck of my beachfront timeshare that I paid a small fortune for....

Because I am not new to cape cod and recognize the difference in location. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

Trouble is you are talking as if it's you against them and I think that is far from the case- almost everyone wants the same thing here, they want NCL to be the best cruise line it can be for themselves. As you point out since everyone's needs are different that is difficult to maintain under the best of circumstances. But up until Del Rio started changing everything those who are complaining were loyal NCL customers. Yes there have been a lot of changes. Does that make NCL bad? Heck no. Does it mean anyone still sailing with them is somehow flawed? Double heck no. All it means is that NCL has changed enough to make some people look elsewhere.
Like I said, I've got no problems with someone being negative, it is just that those that see NCL in a negative light have been very uncivil to those that see NCL in a more positive light. They don't seem to understand that not everyone's needs, wants and experiences are the same. Edited by NLH Arizona

Like I said, I've got no problems with someone being negative, it is just that those that see NCL in a negative light have been very uncivil to those that see NCL in a more positive light. They don't seem to understand that not everyone's needs, wants and experiences are the same.

Civility is something that both sides need to practice more;).

Newbie or fairly newbie Ncl cruisers will love Ncl

A newbie will fall all over Ncl and love it because they are just that....newbies....not seasoned. Of course they will get a good experience nonetheless

Those are generalizations that are totally untrue. Just look at how many cruises many of those just on this thread have taken that love NCL. Just because you are unhappy with NCL, doesn't mean that all those who have sailed with them many times or are seasoned cruisers will not love it. I for one have cruised before the changes on NCL and after the changes and still love NCL, as it gives me great value for my cruising dollar.

I would suggest you try Celebrity, I happen to love that line as well, but be forewarned, they have made changes as well that some are not happy with.

Civility is something that both sides need to practice more;).
That we agree upon. Up until recently, I've tried to ignore a lot of name calling, but have started using the term jeerleader, because I get tired of those with negative feels always calling someone a cheerleader because they don't jump on their bandwagon.

Some people just like to complain. Complain complain complain about everything.

I was on a cruise once and the person in the cabin across the hall was complaining about the steak. "It wasn't as good as the steak at Peter Luger's" (a very expensive steak house).

So I asked him...how much do you pay there, approximately? He told me $XXX. And my response was "How much did you pay per day for this cruise?"

It was a lot less for a day on the ship than a dinner at Peter Luger's.

I think it may be a matter of low self-esteem, or maybe trying to elevate their self-worth....but definitely some sort of inferiority complex. Otherwise, they'd just move on...without "spreading the word".

Don't worry...NCL is great. And, if you don't like it, there are other options.

Sifting through the information on anything that's reviewed on line can be a challenge. But one of the things that I've been happy about is seeing how many posters here say that the Gem is their favorite NCL ship. As annoyed (and really, I was just annoyed, not hopping up-and-down "I'm never going on NCL again" angry) as I was about the whole water thing, the love so many people have for the ship itself is really making me excited about the trip.

ETA: should probably add that the things we're looking forward to that led us to book on NCL haven't changed: no required "dress up" night (sorry, we're casual people and don't like to be relegated to our cabin or the buffet because my DH doesn't want to wear long pants to dinner); nice itinerary; good price for booking early; easy access to port from home.

Edited by jm485

Have sailed CCL, RCCL, Celebrity, HAL, and NCL. At the time I've sailed, it's usually been on the biggest and best each cruise line had to offer. On NCL, I've sailed in a balcony cabin and in the Haven.

I've NEVER had a bad time on any cruise line, on any ship.

That said, I do seem to like Freestyle better than the "other" attempts on other cruiselines to allow for true "any time-anywhere dining".

Entertainment on NCL is 2nd to none compared to the other cruises I've taken (followed closely by RCCL).

Staff and crew on NCL seem to be just a bit friendlier, but that's subjective.

Not sure who is saying negative things about NCL or why, but enjoy your experience. NCL is very good at what they do.

I have a lot of respect for the early business decision NCL made about not including any Turkey stops this year; it made me feel that they actually put safety concerns ahead of profits. Loved that.

I also really love the freestyle/UDP combo! It makes for a fun, pretty much carefree, no worries kind of vacation that we really enjoy.

Edited by macandlucy

Im unfortunately taking back most of the nice things I've had to say.

The people I've spoken with over the phone except for one person who needed a refresher on company policies, have been friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately I've just found out that they've raised the prices on the flavored goose vodkas and I'm very disappointed.

The issue isn't so much that they've raised the price. It's the way they coordinated to raise the price of the drink package only to end up raising the price of drinks so that they get more money a day for the same drinks they used to give before.

I believe the package had been $59 or $69 a day and included drinks up to $11 or $12. They then raise the package to $79 a day but include drinks up to $15. Wow!

But now by raising the drinks that had been $11.95 to a ridiculous $16.95, they've gotten another $10 a day or in most cases an extra %18 or $10 a day for the same package. So outside of a few months this year where people actually benefited, it's basically been a multi-tiered shift to make a few bucks.

Lesson learned for me, don't book a cruise in advance because what you book and pay for is not what you'll end up with. Book last minute so the chance of massive changes are slimmer.

I'll still have a great time with my friends and fiancee, and there are still plenty of drink choices but if just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and I choose to avoid doing business with companies that don't do right by me. There are so many choices of cruise lines, all inclusives, resorts, or just planning your own trip and vacationing that way.

Sorry to ruin the happy place, but when something hits you personally and you sit back for a minute and look at what they did, its a completely allowable, yet really crappy maneuver by NCL.

Sorry to ruin the happy place, but when something hits you personally and you sit back for a minute and look at what they did, its a completely allowable, yet really crappy maneuver by NCL.

If you were sorry to "ruin the happy place" you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Selfish post.

That we agree upon. Up until recently, I've tried to ignore a lot of name calling, but have started using the term jeerleader, because I get tired of those with negative feels always calling someone a cheerleader because they don't jump on their bandwagon.

I have always found that stooping to someone else's level just brings you down to their level, which usually isn't a very good place to be.:)

If you were sorry to "ruin the happy place" you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Selfish post.

Well im sorry as in, I still have had some good interactions with NCL staff in helping me with reservations, and I still believe I will have a great time on my cruise and I still believe that you can have a wonderful time on an NCL cruise depending on the things that are important or not to each individual.

I'm not sorry on a level of sorry for your loss or something like that. It's just a cruise.

But I do love that you took the time respond to my post and call me selfish. Petty post haha.

Sifting through the information on anything that's reviewed on line can be a challenge. But one of the things that I've been happy about is seeing how many posters here say that the Gem is their favorite NCL ship. As annoyed (and really, I was just annoyed, not hopping up-and-down "I'm never going on NCL again" angry) as I was about the whole water thing, the love so many people have for the ship itself is really making me excited about the trip.

ETA: should probably add that the things we're looking forward to that led us to book on NCL haven't changed: no required "dress up" night (sorry, we're casual people and don't like to be relegated to our cabin or the buffet because my DH doesn't want to wear long pants to dinner); nice itinerary; good price for booking early; easy access to port from home.

We had a great time on the Gem and she's a great ship. That I'm not willing to pay what they are asking right now doesn't change that.

Im unfortunately taking back most of the nice things I've had to say.

I believe the package had been $59 or $69 a day and included drinks up to $11 or $12. They then raise the package to $79 a day but include drinks up to $15. Wow!

Sorry for your disappointment. I wish you would have known about this change that NCL announced the end of February or first of March (Cruise Critic did an article on March 1st) and then you could have cancelled your cruise and gone with another line whose beverage package more suits you. Hopefully you will still have a great cruise.

hi,

I have made 10 Cruises with NCL so far and I don't anything to complain about.

I like their Food. Always had a friendly cabin Stuart. The Crew was always helpful when needed.

sure you have People complaining about the additional costs you have onboard, but you have them also if you go on vacation to a Hotel, Resort or Club.

And as every Company they want to sell something (drink packages, Dining packages etc) You just have to deceide if you want buy or not. Never had the Feeling I was avoided because I didn't want to buy any of those things.

Just enjoy your time onboard. It will be great :-)

Sorry for your disappointment. I wish you would have known about this change that NCL announced the end of February or first of March (Cruise Critic did an article on March 1st) and then you could have cancelled your cruise and gone with another line whose beverage package more suits you. Hopefully you will still have a great cruise.

I will start out by saying that I am cruising with a small group of friends. We are going to have a great time. I do like that NCL offers high quality entertainment and the ship looks great and features almost non stop activities from morning until late night. I'm very excited to be taking my first cruise.

And as I mentioned before, everyone I've dealt with at NCL's customer service, save one person, has been friendly and knowledgeable. So no complaints there whatsoever.

I love the freestyle concept, eat what you want, when you want, with who you want. I love that they have late night food and drink options as well.

I'm not going to be NCL's #1 fan, but I'm not going to say the sky is falling either. I'm being fair in my assessment of how I feel on a personal level about the overall company, product, and value.

Who you're with and your attitude stepping onto the ship or really on any trip is what makes or breaks the vacation IMO.

I was well aware that they raised the price of the package. When I booked my trip, the package was $79 a day inluding drinks up to $15. I think its a fair package, they have mainstream beers and liqours, a nice list of cocktails and vacation drinks. Even as a "free perk" where you pay the 18%, I still think its a good deal for someone who has several drinks a day.

The issue I have is that they just recently and quietly raised the price of the $10.95 drinks to $16.95. Thus finding a way to make more money for essentially the same package that was previously $59 or $69.

I will still have the drinks I want and pay the couple dollars difference, but in the future I will probably look to wait before booking with any cruise line, not just NCL.

I don't have to like everything a company does, especially when it has a negative impact on me, but I also wont be one of these people who is outraged or wants to sue. The contract you sign with them allows NCL to make changes at any time. As do many contracts with many companies.