Anything positive to say about NCL?

Clancampbell

I guess I should be gun shy about my future cruise on the Getaway, but I'm not. In fact, I'm looking forward to it. When I booked my cruise, I checked X, RCCL, and Princess. I'm in a JS with UDP and SDP, which cost me less than the other lines in a regular balcony, and except for X, no add'l perks. I feel I have gotten a pretty good deal. Would I like more? Of course. Maybe some OBC, but other than that I'm a happy camper, and nothing said on these forums of NCL is going to change that. NCL has more complainers than the other lines combined.

My DW are embarking on our first NCL cruise at the end of September and are very much looking forward to it.

I have to say though that there are so many negative comments on CC about the cruise line and it is starting to do my head in.

The negativity will have no bearing on our excitement and we intend to enjoy ourselves irrespective of drinks packages, Pepsi only, water price etc etc etc.

What I want to know is do people have anything good to say about NCL? It would make a refreshing change to see some positivity here for a change. Perhaps you can tell me your top things about NCL; I am sure it can't be that difficult.

All you cruisers with the weight of the world on your shoulders are not allowed to play 😁

The haven is wonderful. The service is excellent. I have heard that the vibe is also excellent.

The fact that you aren't getting the answer would confirm what I said earlier. You aren't going to. It's too specific to you.

I believe that, when you take prices a few years ago, they were very good value. An increase up to about 10% wouldn't put me off.

The increase you are seeing looks far more than that. Improvements to justify that would have to be quite significant.

I literally don't care whether you book NCL again. I'm certainly not going to try to convince you to. It's a decision for you.

I don't need to find things to justify such an increase. I'm going to drop out of this conversation in a while as I'm starting my journey to join the Star. That is costing us about 1-2% more than an equivalent cruise did a few years ago (and is the only one we have booked which isn't cheaper). I have no need to decide whether these price differences should affect our decisions. If we do get to that situation then I will rely on my knowledge of what is important to me to decide. I won't be constantly asking strangers on the Internet.

Gee, thanks for the support :rolleyes:. You could certainly tell me what they are doing better now than they were a couple of years ago (if you wanted to of course)- has the service gotten better, has the entertainment gotten better, has the food gotten better, has the onboard experience gotten better- those are things you can speak to, yes? I do understand that prices do go up but as you say the price increase in this case is significant. Yes, I am relying on my knowledge of what is important to me but I have to ask strangers on the Internet because I have no first hand information (the majority of the changes don't affect me all that much after all and wouldn't keep me from booking).

Gee, thanks for the support :rolleyes:. You could certainly tell me what they are doing better now than they were a couple of years ago (if you wanted to of course)- has the service gotten better, has the entertainment gotten better, has the food gotten better, has the onboard experience gotten better- those are things you can speak to, yes? I do understand that prices do go up but as you say the price increase in this case is significant. Yes, I am relying on my knowledge of what is important to me but I have to ask strangers on the Internet because I have no first hand information (the majority of the changes don't affect me all that much after all and wouldn't keep me from booking).

I've already, on this very thread said a few things that are an improvement to me.

I've mentioned other things on these boards before, but it usually just results in a rush to tell my why I'm wrong and these things aren't actually an improvement, so it really isn't worth the effort.

I'm not the one who is saying that things have improved. What I have clearly said a number of times is that the changes have made very little difference to my onboard experience.

Or were you wanting me to make stuff up?

Edited by KeithJenner

I've already, on this very thread said a few things that are an improvement to me.

I've mentioned other things on these boards before, but it usually just results in a rush to tell my why I'm wrong and these things aren't actually an improvement, so it really isn't worth the effort.

I'm not the one who is saying that things have improved. What I have clearly said a number of times is that the changes have made very little difference to my onboard experience.

Or were you wanting me to make stuff up?

Yes, you have mentioned changes that are an improvement to you. But as I said the changes don't impact me that much. I am more concerned with things like the service, the quality of the food, the entertainment and the onboard experience in general. In your view (and I do recognize that it's your opinion but don't worry my decision doesn't hinge on one person's opinion;)) have those things gotten better than they were in 2014 or are they about the same? That is the type of information that I am looking for.

Yes, you have mentioned changes that are an improvement to you. But as I said the changes don't impact me that much. I am more concerned with things like the service, the quality of the food, the entertainment and the onboard experience in general. In your view (and I do recognize that it's your opinion but don't worry my decision doesn't hinge on one person's opinion;)) have those things gotten better than they were in 2014 or are they about the same? That is the type of information that I am looking for.

I'll say it again, as for some reason it doesn't seem to be getting across.

The onboard experience that I get from NCL has changed remarkably little for me in the past few years.

Some things are marginally better, some are marginally worse, but the thing that is particularly notable is how little the onboard experience has changed for us.

Therefore, it's no surprise to hear that the answer to your specific question is that things are about the same as they were in 2014.

Is that clear enough now?

Here's my list:

~Pepsi!! I may be the only one, but love that they serve Pepsi as I don't care for Coke.

~specialty restaurants, many to choose

~entertainment is great

~casual atmosphere - I like to feel like I'm on vacation!

~solo friendly cruise line - I travel solo much of the time - solos are welcomed and valued on NCL.

I have been on 3 NCL cruises; however, destination is still #1 for me when deciding on a cruise - I picked Princess for my next cruise as they have an unique itinerary to the ABC Islands.

I'll say it again, as for some reason it doesn't seem to be getting across.

The onboard experience that I get from NCL has changed remarkably little for me in the past few years.

Some things are marginally better, some are marginally worse, but the thing that is particularly notable is how little the onboard experience has changed for us.

Therefore, it's no surprise to hear that the answer to your specific question is that things are about the same as they were in 2014.

Is that clear enough now?

Yes it is and I thank you and apologize for upsetting you (I didn't read every single line of every single post you've made so it was quite easy to miss this one specific point). Have a fantastic time on the Star!

Yes it is and I thank you and apologize for upsetting you (I didn't read every single line of every single post you've made so it was quite easy to miss this one specific point). Have a fantastic time on the Star!

You're fine, no upset.

It's quite odd round here at the moment. A shame because it really should be a positive place to be.

In fact, the biggest practical impact for me of the changes NCL have made lately is that cruise critic isn't a great place to be these days.

Anyway, signing off for a while as I'm going to Heathrow.

You're fine, no upset.

It's quite odd round here at the moment. A shame because it really should be a positive place to be.

In fact, the biggest practical impact for me of the changes NCL have made lately is that cruise critic isn't a great place to be these days.

Anyway, signing off for a while as I'm going to Heathrow.

Have a great flight. I'll have to connect through Heathrow next year when we fly to Germany (I am trying to figure out ways we can extend our vacation so we can spend a little time in London but I don't think it will happen this trip).

Edited by sparks1093

Just for fun....

Can any posters here list any improvements/enhancements that ncl has instituted lately?

I'm not talking about them adding the 18% to the free ubp upfront....for our convenience. Lol

I'm asking about real enhancements/improvements ....are there in fact any that aren't in the nickel and dime category?

I'm serious as I can't recall any

I've noticed though that stuff has been removed though such as the fireworks/menu items/free room service

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well I for one, can't wait to take advantage of the Waterfront on the Escape next year. To me that is an improvement that I am looking forward too after reading all the positive reviews about it.

To your question, I sailed on the Getaway last fall for a sisters birthday trip and had a blast. I never had trouble finding a drink, service was good and food in the MDR was always decent with the occasional home run (lamb chop in MDR was simply amazing!) I sail next week with NCL (Jewel) and have no reason to expect anything different. And yes, some things have changed (I.e., the surcharge for the "free" beverage plan and paying to have bottled water in my cabin specifically) but overall, so far NCL has a price point I can live with and delivers a pleasant experience.

And, for the record, I am not brand loyal having cruised HAL, DCL, Uniworld and NCL in the last few years.

I'm sorry you feel that way but it is a question that people in my position need to have answered- we've had great experiences on NCL in the past and now we have to decide has NCL improved so much that it is worth the extra money. I don't sail solo, I don't sail in suites, I don't get my cruises comped. I sail in mid-ship balcony cabins. Del Rio wants to make NCL a premium line, people on this forum have sailed on premium lines and on NCL- are the experiences the same? Since the Gem cruise that I priced is $300 more than a comparable Celebrity cruise it appears that at least in some cases they are already charging premium pricing. So if someone sailed X and NCL, especially since the changes, were the experiences so similar it would be hard to tell them apart? What has NCL improved onboard to make them more like X?

I know that it is hard to answer a question like the one I am asking but again, it's the one I need to have answered before I can even think about booking an NCL cruise, especially booking so far into the future.

The problem is you are looking at one specific example that is custom made for you. I do that analysis every single time we book a vacation. Sometimes the price difference is worth it and sometimes it isn't based on other factors you are looking to get out of your vacation. That worth is subjective and no one here can justify on not justify that cost to you for your vacation but you.

I have a friend who spends a lot more money than I do (compared prices before) on their cruises just because they are loyal to Royal and will only book with them now. They have all kinds of justifications for spending more money for their Royal Cruise....none of which would justify it the extra cost to me. I'm not loyal to any cruise line. I am loyal to my wants and my budgets. If NCL fits my wants in my budget then the cost is justified for me. You have your own wants and budget. If you can't justify the numbers for that cruise then the answer is simple...book a cruise that you can justify the numbers. That is what I do. Having said that I won't even attempt to answer your question. It is one that only you can answer for yourself.

The problem is you are looking at one specific example that is custom made for you. I do that analysis every single time we book a vacation. Sometimes the price difference is worth it and sometimes it isn't based on other factors you are looking to get out of your vacation. That worth is subjective and no one here can justify on not justify that cost to you for your vacation but you.

I have a friend who spends a lot more money than I do (compared prices before) on their cruises just because they are loyal to Royal and will only book with them now. They have all kinds of justifications for spending more money for their Royal Cruise....none of which would justify it the extra cost to me. I'm not loyal to any cruise line. I am loyal to my wants and my budgets. If NCL fits my wants in my budget then the cost is justified for me. You have your own wants and budget. If you can't justify the numbers for that cruise then the answer is simple...book a cruise that you can justify the numbers. That is what I do. Having said that I won't even attempt to answer your question. It is one that only you can answer for yourself.

No, KeithJenner was able to answer it to my satisfaction. You could to if you wanted to, especially since we tend to look at things the same way a lot of the time. Has the service since 2014 gotten better or stayed the same? Has the food gotten better or stayed the same? The entertainment? Yes, I understand, it's your definition of "better", but I can still use that as a guide, especially if the answers are coming from many people. I am also loyal to my wallet. You have sailed both CCL and NCL, in your view is the NCL of today $1600 better than CCL for a comparable sailing at the same time of year out of the same region in a comparable cabin (comparing Gem to Pride)?

No, KeithJenner was able to answer it to my satisfaction. You could to if you wanted to, especially since we tend to look at things the same way a lot of the time. Has the service since 2014 gotten better or stayed the same? Has the food gotten better or stayed the same? The entertainment? Yes, I understand, it's your definition of "better", but I can still use that as a guide, especially if the answers are coming from many people. I am also loyal to my wallet. You have sailed both CCL and NCL, in your view is the NCL of today $1600 better than CCL for a comparable sailing at the same time of year out of the same region in a comparable cabin (comparing Gem to Pride)?
One thing to keep in mind, Carnival's customers seem to have the same issues that NCL's customers have, based on this post from Carnival's page: Seems like carnival is always pinching pennies, cutting cost and trying to save money some where. But prices do not reflect as they continue to increase. One recent cut on Carnival is that they only service the cabins once, opposed to the usual twice a day.

I believe that NCL and Carnival are more alike than they are different, with their negative issues.

Edited by NLH Arizona

One thing to keep in mind, Carnival's customers seem to have the same issues that NCL's customers have, based on this post from Carnival's page: Seems like carnival is always pinching pennies, cutting cost and trying to save money some where. But prices do not reflect as they continue to increase. One recent cut on Carnival is that they only service the cabins once, opposed to the usual twice a day.

I believe that NCL and Carnival are more alike than they are different, with their negative issues.

Yes, there are people that have issues with some of the changes that CCL has made but much like with NCL the changes don't impact me greatly if at all.

My first cruise with Norwegian was on the old Norway in 2003. The ship blew up one week after my cruise. Despite this I enjoyed the cruise enough that I cruised an additional three times with them over the next seven years but experienced a problem with the staff being rude and receiving poor service for the last couple of those so I stayed away and went to other Cruise Lines until this year. I gave Norwegian another chance and I'm glad I did. We cruised on Jade in March and on Escape in July and had a fabulous time both times. We greatly enjoyed the entertainment including the shows in the main showroom The Comedy Club the karaoke and the activities put on by the cruise directors. We experienced and nothing but friendly helpful staff. Where in the past if we ask someone for directions they would just shrug their shoulders they now go out of their way to try to help. We also have enjoyed the drink package and dining package that they now include with Ocean View and balcony cabins. Even if you don't do the drinks package there were many opportunities for free drinks aboard. On our last Cruise we were in The Haven as an upsell and had not purchased the drinks package. We were able to go to Art lectures which were not only entertaining but also supplied us with free mimosas. We also received free drinks at the latitudes party. I did love the lobster in the Haven and it's a shame that they have stopped offering it. I'm hoping they still offer it in Cagney's when we go there on our next Cruise. But if they don't we will still have a blast.

Edited by Jana60

Here's my list:

~Pepsi!! I may be the only one, but love that they serve Pepsi as I don't care for Coke.

~specialty restaurants, many to choose

~entertainment is great

~casual atmosphere - I like to feel like I'm on vacation!

~solo friendly cruise line - I travel solo much of the time - solos are welcomed and valued on NCL.

I have been on 3 NCL cruises; however, destination is still #1 for me when deciding on a cruise - I picked Princess for my next cruise as they have an unique itinerary to the ABC Islands.

Those things have basically always been on ncl

I'm just wondering about specific improvements since FDR took over

Real improvements...are there any?

I know they have done away with things like fireworks and presumably Uptown Grill

So actual improvements or enhancements?

Well I for one, can't wait to take advantage of the Waterfront on the Escape next year. To me that is an improvement that I am looking forward too after reading all the positive reviews about it.

Agreed that is something they did add to the new ships....but FDR had nothing to do with that

I still want to know what FDR has added to our cruise experience that is positive and not a money gouge?

Seriously what has he added that will make pax swoon?

Edited by Crusin6

We had SUCH an amazing time on Getaway this past May.

The food was very, very good.

The service was stellar.

The ropes course was so much fun.

I wouldn't change Anything from our cruise, except to ask our steward to fold away the couch/bunk beds during the day.

I can't wait for the May 2018 cruises to be published so we can book Breakaway.

I'm just wondering about specific improvements since FDR took over

Real improvements...are there any?

I still want to know what FDR has added to our cruise experience that is positive and not a money gouge?

I LOVE his idea of building physical partitions in the casino to prevent smoke from invading the atrium and other non-smoking parts of the casino/ship. What is taking so long, I have no idea. If the walls came with a $5 service fee to all guests, they would've been constructed within a week of being announced :p .

Agreed that is something they did add to the new ships....but FDR had nothing to do with that

Judging from all the positive comments on this post and on other recent posts, the on board service experience has improved. That might not seem as monumental as building a new restaurant, but in the long run its way more important and a lot more difficult to consistently achieve. And it's certainly not a money gouge. (Now I'll just hide and watch as you and others tell me this observation is invalid. Three...Two...One...Go!)

My DW are embarking on our first NCL cruise at the end of September and are very much looking forward to it.

I have to say though that there are so many negative comments on CC about the cruise line and it is starting to do my head in.

The negativity will have no bearing on our excitement and we intend to enjoy ourselves irrespective of drinks packages, Pepsi only, water price etc etc etc.

What I want to know is do people have anything good to say about NCL? It would make a refreshing change to see some positivity here for a change. Perhaps you can tell me your top things about NCL; I am sure it can't be that difficult.

All you cruisers with the weight of the world on your shoulders are not allowed to play 😁

I think the crew of NCL are some of the best at sea! They will go out of their way to make your vacation enjoyable, and truly love what they do. It's one of the reasons we keep returning to NCL.