Is a credit card a MUST to cruise on Carnival?

mtfbwya

First timer on this board but not to cruising.

Long story short, is it mandatory to have a credit card to cruise?

I'm not talking about sail and sign, I know cash can be used for that.

I ask because when we went to the travel agency to get more info today, she made it sound like it's a must.

Our plan is to pay the actual cruise in cash, first the deposit and then the balance when due.

Thanks

I ask because when we went to the travel agency to get more info today, she made it sound like it's a must.

Our plan is to pay the actual cruise in cash, first the deposit and then the balance when due.

Thanks

I think you have to have a CC in order to book - unless you go directly to a TA and give them cash when you book, then go back to the TA and pay it off with cash. That's the only way I know how to do it. There's only one TA that I know of where you can walk in and talk to a TA (I'm not allowed to mention the name), but it's famous for car insurance and roadside service. Not every office has a TA though.

A CC is not a must! Have a lot of cash for your S&S and you'll be okay.

Edited by elliair

You can certainly cruise without a credit card. Cash on the sail and sign. Just realize that if you run out of the cash you put down (but so much can be paid ahead) you may be asked for more before the cruise ends. Depends on your personal spending. I would carry travelers checks or a debit card.

In ports cash is always king. :) But travelers checks are also good.

My worry is always about that unexpected large expense we can't predict. A card you carry for ONLY this type of emergency might be a good idea. If you end up not needing it...even better!

When one travels, having a credit card with you for emergencies can be quite important!

You can travel without one but stuff happens and being prepared with an extra source of cash can be quite helpful! Traveler's checks are a kind of outmoded way to have cash on hand and not all ports will use them easily although I imagine that the Guest Services desk on board might cash them for you.

When one travels, having a credit card with you for emergencies can be quite important!

You can travel without one but stuff happens and being prepared with an extra source of cash can be quite helpful! Traveler's checks are a kind of outmoded way to have cash on hand and not all ports will use them easily although I imagine that the Guest Services desk on board might cash them for you.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. You don't technically need to a credit card to book a cruise, but I think you are out of your mind if you are going to travel without one.

Otherwise, what is your plan to deal with an emergency that comes up? For example, on my last cruise, my husband fell and hurt his knee on the ship. He ended up needing surgery, but because the ship's doctor misdiagnosed him, he didn't have the surgery until we got home. But had he been diagnosed correctly on the ship, we would have been left in Nassau. We would have been faced with having to pay the hospital up-front, pay for new flights home, and I would have had to pay for a hotel in Nassau while he was in the hospital.

So again, if that happened to you, how would you pay for all of this until you can get reimbursed from your medical or travel insurance if you don't have a credit card or a debit card with enough money to cover all of the expenses?

You can pay for your cruise with cash, debit, gift card, credit card.

Using any type of card is much easier for the TA to process thru the tour provider (Carnival).

Gift cards can be purchased many places. If you pay with a gift card, keep them in case you cancel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks

Your TA may insist on payment by card. They might not like handling cash, but if that's the issue they mat accept a cashier's cheque.

Thanks

A credit card sure helps to make your reservation.

I would advise against using a debit card to purchase anything - there are so many instances when the hold on your funds will be greater than the actual purchase, it is easy to overdraft. You also have more options for fraud protection with a credit card than you do with a debit card, and if your debit card does get stolen, you may not find out until your account is overdrawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would advise against using a debit card to purchase anything - there are so many instances when the hold on your funds will be greater than the actual purchase, it is easy to overdraft. You also have more options for fraud protection with a credit card than you do with a debit card, and if your debit card does get stolen, you may not find out until your account is overdrawn.

I agree with this. After having my debit card copied twice, and my bank accounts wiped out in the process, I stopped using it any only use a credit card instead. This way, I get points that I can use towards free flights, and if anyone is going to hack my card, they can steal the credit card company's money, not mine!

Speaking from my own personal experience this year in January. While you might not need a credit card on the ship you never know what emergency will come up.

My sister became ill and we were put off ship to "hospital" so they tell us (basically 3rd world clinic) on Dominica. I shudder to think what would have happened had I not taken the advice here and had a high limit credit card (ok a smaller limit might work but it would have been tight.

By the time we got home I had used it for hotel, 2 nights (small island one flight a day and couldn't get on first day flight), port agent assistant tips ; credit card for his fees(some cash from card since i hadn't planned on needing much on the ship). $2200 flights home. Food, taxi to airport etc etc.

We did have travel insurance which did reimburse me everything but I have nightmares about being there without resources.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also I don't fault Carnival at all, they were exceptional with us and I did understand the rule they have to not keep very ill passengers on the ship and she became ill a few hours before they left port and hadn't improved. They weren't responsible for conditions at clinic, although that I did email them to let them know of the conditions. Conditions on the ship medical clinic was excellent.

Edited by dolfndreams

Thanks

How did you book and pay for previous cruises? I don't see why cash won't do, but it likely is more inconvenient for the TA. It's easier for them to just swipe a card than to go to a bank to deposit. We are in the day of electronic money transfers.

Totally not true with Bank Of America!:):)

Totally not true with Bank Of America at least the fraud part. How true on the

other parts!!

Mike

Ok I know you can get away without using it probably baring an emergency, but as others have said you really should have one in case something happens. We have not always had a lot of extra money when we have travelled, but we have always found a way to have a credit card with a decent limit. More than once we have needed it. We have had a ship delayed getting back to our port of origin, a broken arm and a ship fire. All three required at least some upfront cash in spite of having insurance.

I understand travelling tight, but please be prepared. I also wonder about your hotel if you have one. Some require a card # on hold in case of damage.

Hope whatever you decide to do works out for you.

I don't have any credit cards and usually cruise every year. I don't use a TA and book everything myself. It can be done!

I agree. We travel many times a year with out credit cards. It definitely can be done.

Mandatory: No.

Prudent when traveling: Yes. Credit cards are great in emergencies or if you don't have ready access to cash. Given how easy it is to get a credit card it seems silly to not have one for travel purposes.

I hope your T/A advised you about the realities of travel insurance as well.

Edited by LMaxwell

Here's another thought. Carrying cash is somewhat risky. You can purchase VISA/MC prepaid CC. I use those whenever I purchase merchandise over the internet. I plan to purchase $500 in increments of $25, $50, and $100 to take on our upcoming cruise. I can use them in Canada thus no cash exchange. Just a thought. No worries of someone hijacking your CC which I have had that happen to me recently. It's PITA to get a new card and contact everyone you do business with with the new card #.

Here's another thought. Carrying cash is somewhat risky. You can purchase VISA/MC prepaid CC. I use those whenever I purchase merchandise over the internet. I plan to purchase $500 in increments of $25, $50, and $100 to take on our upcoming cruise. I can use them in Canada thus no cash exchange. Just a thought. No worries of someone hijacking your CC which I have had that happen to me recently. It's PITA to get a new card and contact everyone you do business with with the new card #.

If your CC is compromised and you are given a new one usually the CC company can "forward" charges against your old # to your new one to save you the hassle. had that happen this year. But hey, it's their money, not mine. No risk on my end and the CC company gave me 15K points for the inconvenience :cool: