Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

I commend customs for following rules. He didn't have the proper travel documents he couldn't board. I've been on a few island stops on cruises that not only require you ship card but a an ID to be able to get back into the port area to board the ship again.

It sucks and lesson learned. Our family is so anal about our IDs that before we leave our house to start our drive to the port or to the airport if we are flying we do a passport check and make sure everyone has their passport. We do a check again before we check out of our pre cruise hotel and make sure we all have our passports and wallets. Once on the ship our passports go into the safe in the cabin so it doesn't get lost.

I commend customs for following rules. He didn't have the proper travel documents he couldn't board. I've been on a few island stops on cruises that not only require you ship card but a an ID to be able to get back into the port area to board the ship again.

It sucks and lesson learned. Our family is so anal about our IDs that before we leave our house to start our drive to the port or to the airport if we are flying we do a passport check and make sure everyone has their passport. We do a check again before we check out of our pre cruise hotel and make sure we all have our passports and wallets. Once on the ship our passports go into the safe in the cabin so it doesn't get lost.

Your family is not anal...just showing some personal responsibility. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Sorry this happened I too would have been disappointed.

But, every sailing of every ship has someone who ends up not being able to board for one reason or another. Where should they drawn the line in terms of their compassion? And why should they have to make that call?

I travel a couple of times a year with my sister (always a cruise)...hubby not interested in cruising...before he will drive me to the airport he makes me open my purse and SHOW HIM MY PASSPORT!...LOL...I AM 59 YEARS OLD...LOL

It's a shame all of you didn't cruise. Below is copied and pasted segments from the Carnival FAQ which is the basis for the decision:

Travel Documentation: U.S. Citizens

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using Online Check-in, it is still the responsibility of the guest to present the required travel documents at the time of embarkation. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documents.

.....Domestic Cruises (including Canada)

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

...... Also acceptable for cruise travel, U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate issued by a government agency, accompanied by a government-issued ID

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

Copies of any WHTI-Compliant documents

Driver's License as the only proof

A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a photo I.D.

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver's License

Driver's Permit

School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

I travel a couple of times a year with my sister (always a cruise)...hubby not interested in cruising...before he will drive me to the airport he makes me open my purse and SHOW HIM MY PASSPORT!...LOL...I AM 59 YEARS OLD...LOL

I have a friend like that, I asked her 2 times to make sure she check her room in a condo we rented because we were driving back home 2k miles. She got all snippy with me and I let it go, 400 miles down the road she looks for her phone, yep you guessed it was back in Florida. She begged me to go back and told her to call her number and see if the maid found it and ask the owner to mail it back since there was no way I was driving back.

We are scheduled to cruise together for the first time together and if she forgets her ID/passport I will be waving as I leave port. I know the OP could not leave a kid even if he was 18 but it sure would be tempting. It would be the last time he ever forgot.

I know that their cruise contract covers them and they do not have to refund anything and that the boy showing up with no ID is not Carnival's fault, but Carnival should try to do something for these people. This scenario could happen to any of us driving from far away. Short of taking everyone ID when they get in the car, how could a person prepare for this?

In my mind this is precisely why Carnival is NOT giving a refund - this type of thing happens all the time! It isn't a question of giving a credit for this one incident, but rather the many, many times this must happen per year.

I feel sorry for the OP but Carnival had zero responsibility - why should it essentially for over several thousand in value?

I doubt the decision to deny boarding was Carnivals, but suspect it was DHS, and that's why it took 3 hours for a decision to be reached. Probably Carnival was pleading the case on the O.P.'s behalf

The requirement for specific documentation is not Carnivals but instead the governments. Carnival could probably not care less what I.D. people have as long as the ticket is paid for but the U.S. Government does set the requirements for documentation and Carnival has to follow the rules.

I doubt the decision to deny boarding was Carnivals, but suspect it was DHS, and that's why it took 3 hours for a decision to be reached. Probably Carnival was pleading the case on the O.P.'s behalf

The requirement for specific documentation is not Carnivals but instead the governments. Carnival could probably not care less what I.D. people have as long as the ticket is paid for but the U.S. Government does set the requirements for documentation and Carnival has to follow the rules.

Exactly.

I think it taking 3 hours probably shows Carnival pled your case and tried to help. Why not make the calls you mentioned to his nearby family as a just in case in all that wait time if you say that would've potentially allowed the rest of you to go (if it had been resolved sooner). I'd be making back up after back up in 3 hours!

The decision to bring along one of kids friends on a cruise means, they would be treated as part of the family and I would be just as responsible for them as I was for my own kids.. I could never leave them behind - I wouldn't appreciate anyone doing that to my son either..

Sorry, I agree with OP - if we were all travelling together in one vehicle, everyone would stay together - even if it meant not going.. :(

My mom would totally leave me! (As an adult now, I mean, or at 18, but as a kid, she would've organized my documents herself.) She always warns me if I'm late or without my docs, she's leaving me!

I do agree that it wouldn't be good business practice to reimburse everyone and I will start keeping all important documents together myself in the future. But what would it have hurt to let him on in the first place? Would anyone's security have been at risk because he was on the ship without a ID with him? We were also told on the phone by Carnival and employees at the port that each port is different and they may have let him on at other ports. If it's a policy then stick to it, no exceptions. It's more frustrating knowing that a different customs employee that day or sailing from a different port may have changed the outcome.

In this case, no one might be at risk but needing a photo ID for international travel seems like a very useful law to me! I would reconsider cruising if people didn't need ID to get on. Flying too!

Lets change the scenario just a bit but with similar circumstances:

I book at trip to Mexico for my family and reserve your condo unit for the weekend. Everything is all fine and dandy until we land in Mexico only to find that a young adult family member has left their passport behind. Can't get into Mexico without it. We beg and plead to make an exception without success. The decision is made that the only choice is for everyone to fly back home on the next available flight.

But wait, I have to let you, the condo owner, know that we won't be using the unit so I'd like my money back. I know that your contract says that there are no refunds but won't you please make an exception? I know that it's not your fault that the Mexican government won't let my family member into the country without the proper ID. I know that you will most likely be out the money because it's too late to re-rent it but it's the compassionate thing to do. And really, you're rich enough to own a condo unit in a popular tourist area so it's not like you can't afford to lose a little money, right? It's just good PR to make an exception and refund my money.

Now, would YOU give a refund? Probably not, so why should Carnival? And if they don't, why does that make them less compassionate?

Lets change the scenario just a bit but with similar circumstances:

I book at trip to Mexico for my family and reserve your condo unit for the weekend. Everything is all fine and dandy until we land in Mexico only to find that a young adult family member has left their passport behind. Can't get into Mexico without it. We beg and plead to make an exception without success. The decision is made that the only choice is for everyone to fly back home on the next available flight.

But wait, I have to let you, the condo owner, know that we won't be using the unit so I'd like my money back. I know that your contract says that there are no refunds but won't you please make an exception? I know that it's not your fault that the Mexican government won't let my family member into the country without the proper ID. I know that you will most likely be out the money because it's too late to re-rent it but it's the compassionate thing to do. And really, you're rich enough to own a condo unit in a popular tourist area so it's not like you can't afford to lose a little money, right? It's just good PR to make an exception and refund my money.

Now, would YOU give a refund? Probably not, so why should Carnival? And if they don't, why does that make them less compassionate?

His main gripe was asking about some help on a future cruise, not a refund. Comparing a single unit to a cruise ship is apples and oranges as well. Nobody is saying Carnival is technically at fault. But the "too bad, so sad" response to a guest is a bit off putting. To me at least.

How about another analogy. You are at a restaurant, order a dish, it's made perfectly, but you just don't like it at all. Whether you ask for it or not, the waiter notices you didn't eat it, you clearly didn't like it, and offers you a new dish to enjoy - complimentary. It was your fault for ordering the wrong item, the restaurant did nothing wrong, but to keep a good reputation and make sure their guests are as happy as possible, they do whatever they can to make it right, even at a cost.

That's good business, and I think a little more accurately reflects the tone of this thread.

Edited by BNBR

His main gripe was asking about some help on a future cruise, not a refund. .

Not following your logic. How is future cruise credit not same as a deferred refund when you get to cruise for free and Carnival will be out of thousands in future revenue?

Wouldn't he need a valid photo ID and his BC to get back in through customs?

And if they left him on the pier he would have needed photo ID to fly home even if his parents bought him a ticket and he would have needed ID and a credit card to check into a hotel.

Travel insurance does not generally cover failure to have proper documentation unless it is stolen. Every time I go on a trip my TA puts a disclaimer on the invoice that if we fail to provide proper documentation, we will be denied boarding with no compensation from either the cruise line or the travel agency and that insurance will not cover us if we are denied boarding for failure to provide proper documentation unless it is a documented theft (police report must be filed and sent in with the claim form). The 3rd party cancel for any reason insurance we buy would not work eithebecause the trip has to be canceled 48 hours before departure for that coverage to kick in.

I hold the passports both pre and post cruise. Once I let my husband hold his while we waited to debark and he managed to drop it. Thankfully, it was turned in to Guest Services so a crisis was averted.

Edited by DebJ14

Carnival absolutely allows you to catch the ship at the first foreign port if you miss the initial embarkation. You are not, however, allowed to catch the ship at another U.S. port due to some law.

He could not have flown to a foreign port because he did not have a Passport!