Denied boarding

Kosmo82899

Someone way up thread said "send the boyfriend home" - but you know what, you cannot even board a domestic air flight without a valid ID. A "copy" or "picture" is not a valid ID.

While a terrible ending the truth is after 9/11 all travel has changed. We don't leave the country without a passport. I don't care "closed loop" "open loop" I'm out of the country and I might need to get back in via a different way than I went out. Emergencies happen.

Personally I wouldn't even have the thought "Carnival could reimburse me" - the boyfriend? Yes, he should certainly repay his portion if he hadn't already paid it.

Sorry all around, but really tho this isn't Carnival's fault, not their fight to win or lose.

Where does it stop? If they do it for OP then they are setting a precedent to do it for others. Do you have any idea how many out there would want that exception made for them? Would you say that all of them deserve to be an exception to the rule too? Carnival is a business to make profit. They are not in the insurance industry and we do not pay them to insure against our personal situations, so unlike an insurance company they would not profit by doing as you are asking. Most often the room sales are a loss leader to get you on the ship. If that room sails empty they are already taking a loss on the room, but they are also losing from the revenue that would have been generated from on board sales, their bread and butter. Now you want them to take an even bigger loss, for something that isn't even their fault, by giving these people a future credit??? Yes it is crappy but I fail to see how making Carnival responsible for recouping their losses is a win for anyone but the OP, who lacked the personal responsibility to insure necessary ID's were secure and safe for their journey.

It would never stop...next is wanting compensation for gambling losses since they couldn't afford to lose, compensation because they didn't like the weather, compensation because they didn't know eating too much would cause their clothes to shrink, compensation to pay for their new cruising obsession...

That really truly sucks!! BUT this is exactly why one should always purchase travel insurance. I know it's not fun to hear, but it's the way the cruise lines handle these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Would not having the proper ID at check in be covered by insurance? We always purchase insurance for all of our trips but I don't believe it covers this.

I travel a couple of times a year with my sister (always a cruise)...hubby not interested in cruising...before he will drive me to the airport he makes me open my purse and SHOW HIM MY PASSPORT!...LOL...I AM 59 YEARS OLD...LOL

My first thought is that he's just ensuring that his bach-ing it week doesn't get derailed!:D

So sorry to hear about a cancelled vakay.. we've had a few of those ourselves due to weather and health issues. not fun...

I have pre cruise panic so bad that I make copies of all our passports and birth certificates the week before the cruise.. I probably check and recheck like ten times before we leave... I would suggest getting a passport for its really a great deal for ten years and makes it so much easier.. You never know if you had an accident and had to be flown home too. First time this year on a cruise that I hurt my leg on a tour. It wasn't serious but I sure was glad to have a passport just in case I needed surgery. We also take our drivers license and my daughter took her student ID also. Hope next time goes better...

Would not having the proper ID at check in be covered by insurance? We always purchase insurance for all of our trips but I don't believe it covers this.

Cancel for any reason insurance does.. It costs more but worth it. Insure my trip dot com is where I find mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by IndyDenise

My daughter was flying to Ireland to work for five months. On the drive to the airport, a block from our home, I just jokingly said, "Do you have your passport?" Well, she didn't! Luckily it was easy to get. All that preparing and anticipating for weeks but she leaves her passport!

As far as the OP here leaving the boyfriend at the port, I would have left him, and the rest of the family go on the cruise. As long as he has a phone, he can handle it. If only by contacting the adults in his life who can make the decisions for him to take care of him. Like, get the hotel to overnight his documents/wallet to where he is staying in Tampa with the other relatives. He would have muddled through. It wasn't like he was five years old. He would have learned a lesson, and it would have been a better outcome for everybody. Including Carnival who would have made money off the OP's shipboard purchases, etc.

I wonder if the relationship with the daughter will survive this mishap.

OK well I stand corrected. Only option is to leave him then. It sucks but what happened sucks worse.

when you say leave him do you mean the OP doesn't go and misses the cruise with the kid while the wife and 2 kids go or do you mean leave him to fend for himself?

How would he get hiss wallet from Georgia? How would he pay for airfare to the next port?

Bill

Someone way up thread said "send the boyfriend home" - but you know what, you cannot even board a domestic air flight without a valid ID. A "copy" or "picture" is not a valid ID.

Greyhound his way home. I did it from LA to Chicago when I was 19. Only took me 3 days.

when you say leave him do you mean the OP doesn't go and misses the cruise with the kid while the wife and 2 kids go or do you mean leave him to fend for himself?

How would he get hiss wallet from Georgia? How would he pay for airfare to the next port?

Bill

18 is a little young to fend for yourself to get to the next Caribbean port unexpectedly, but he certainly should of been capable of getting on a bus or train back home. Also, there were two parents there. One of them could have stayed behind with dude if that's what it took. For sure we would have exercised one of these options rather than all 5 lose out on the experience and the money for 5 all lost - surely paid by mom and dad.

OP said the daughter would have been miserable and unhappy the whole time without him, so everyone loses out? I don't think so. I remember when I was 18, my boyfriend and I followed one another track to track. Family vacations had its limits though. My parents never believed in taking other people's kids but so far away from home. And if he was planning to go but then couldn't, I knew it was in my own best interest to get over it. You better act like you're thankful for a family vacation even if you were just dying inside without him there.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruizinisthebest

You also need a passport to catch up at a foreign port. You can't fly there without one.

OP Sorry that this happed to you, which shows why I am so paranoid about making sure I have my ids with me at all times. I hope this incident in the future will Encourage the use of Passports.

All The Best

Michael

I agree with everything you said except this. It is cases like tragedy that we pay insurance for. The cruise line is not your personal insurance company. You don't pay them to be. My DGM passed away the day before our CCL Glory cruise. We drove 14 hours to NY to find out she passed away while we were driving out there. We cancelled our cruise and turned around to go home to mourn with our family. I never expected Carnival to reimburse us for our cancelled cruise due to our tragedy. That is what we purchased travel insurance for. We expected our travel insurance to reimburse us for our tragedy...and they did. Personal responsibility dictates insuring yourself against tragedy....not doing so does not make it Carnival's responsibility. Just like with OP's case, if the cruise line covered every one with a tragedy there would be no need for travel insurance and all of our cruise rates would go up as they self-insured for all of the passengers tragedies. While I have empathy for those who go through situations like the OP's or tragedy like ours, this does not mean I feel Carnival should be responsible for recouping their losses. Personal responsibility is something many in our country no longer seem to understand and I find that sad:(.

I agree with you and wouldn't expect it then either! I was just pointing out that there may be a situation (like if a member of your party was killed in a hotel fire or plane crash the night before your cruise) where they might make an exception and be OK/fair still because it was just so horrific. I still think it should never be expected and, yes, that's what insurance is for, but depending what type of insurance, it's sometimes hard to get the travel insurance payout even when deserved (in a timely manner).

Would it cover the OP for choosing not to go at the port because someone else was denied boarding?

Actually I could not find any. But I know in 2013 I purchased it for a European cruise. We were doing a Greek cruise and there was a lot of civil unrest in Athens and Turkey

However HAL platinum cancellation protection plan allows you to cancel up to the start of your vacation. You get 90% back.

Carnival should offer different layers of protection.

Actually I could not find any. But I know in 2013 I purchased it for a European cruise. We were doing a Greek cruise and there was a lot of civil unrest in Athens and Turkey

However HAL platinum cancellation protection plan allows you to cancel up to the start of your vacation. You get 90% back.

Carnival should offer different layers of protection.

OP did not purchase the insurance. It would not matter how many layers Carnival wants to offer if people do not buy it.

I purchase private insurance so I am not familiar with their policy. So another question:

If the OP had purchased CCL insurance would it have covered them in this situation since only one person was actually denied boarding and the others chose not to go?

His main gripe was asking about some help on a future cruise, not a refund. Comparing a single unit to a cruise ship is apples and oranges as well. Nobody is saying Carnival is technically at fault. But the "too bad, so sad" response to a guest is a bit off putting. To me at least.

How about another analogy. You are at a restaurant, order a dish, it's made perfectly, but you just don't like it at all. Whether you ask for it or not, the waiter notices you didn't eat it, you clearly didn't like it, and offers you a new dish to enjoy - complimentary. It was your fault for ordering the wrong item, the restaurant did nothing wrong, but to keep a good reputation and make sure their guests are as happy as possible, they do whatever they can to make it right, even at a cost.

That's good business, and I think a little more accurately reflects the tone of this thread.

your analogy is fine.

now take that analogy and expand it. lets say this happened once at every meal. one person at breakfast, one at lunch and one at dinner. every day, 365 days a year. I bet the restaurant stops providing a new meal complimentary.

It's not a Carnival "rule" or in their control...and I agree with others that Carnival was probably trying to negotiate with the powers that be for some kind of accommodation during that 3 hour window.

My last cruise, on NCL, there was a family of four not far in front of me waiting to board in Copenhagen for a Baltic cruise. Suddenly noticed a bit of a commotion...one of the daughters (looked to be in her late teens) was absolutely flush with tears and pleading with a woman from NCL. It seemed that somewhere between the airport and the cruise port (they sounded like fellow Americans) her passport had gone AWOL. There was a flurry of discussion but in the end the young lady and her father did not board; the mother and the other daughter did. I am pretty sure once you have no actual photo id you are screwed, on any cruise line, because of border controls.

Have no idea however if NCL offered something. I suspect not since half the party sailed.