Alaska

camper49

Just took a May 17 land tour to Alaska this year. Some days were cold, some wet, some both and even some were warm. The weather in Alaska can change quickly and often so prepare for anything. Dress in layers and make sure you have a rainjacket with hood to take everywhere with you. This also means lightwieght enough to carry in a backpack. Fleece is always good to go between a base layer and the rainjacket. Enjoy your cruise when you go. It s worth it.

The weather "average highs" are always colder the earlier in the season and the later in the season that you travel. But, as Potstech said, you can also be rewarded with unseasonably warm days! Really no way to plan for it. Just pack your "layers" and enjoy the experience. Our first time in Alaska was last year ... we leave again tomorrow for our second trip!

We are leaving on our second Alaska cruise in 3 weeks. The first one, last year, was also in September. We were told that the glaciers are more "pristine" looking early in the season before the summer melt. We were also told that there is more calving of the glaciers in the spring.

Just took a May 17 land tour to Alaska this year. Some days were cold, some wet, some both and even some were warm. The weather in Alaska can change quickly and often so prepare for anything. Dress in layers and make sure you have a rainjacket with hood to take everywhere with you. This also means lightwieght enough to carry in a backpack. Fleece is always good to go between a base layer and the rainjacket. Enjoy your cruise when you go. It s worth it.

If you do some reading on the Alaska board, you will see MANY discussions on this exact topic.

We did Alaska May 31st of this year sailing from SFO. Sail out was one of the coldest days. A few drizzles in Juneau, other wise pretty nice. We were cold, but we live in Hawaii and you live in Maine. Growing up, my Mom would come by our windows after jogging to wake me up if I could see her breath, I wasn't going to get up to go to school. Too Cold.

A friend went in early May, was cold but little rain. You never know in Alaska.

Been to Alaska eight times and 7 were in the month of MAY. Weather is what is. We have seen snow to non stop rain and 80's in Juneau. Alaska is great anytime. Also in May, the Kid Factor is only about 20 total.

I have done 3 Alaska cruises, and have a 4th set for next summer. All have been in June, I have had both cool days and warm day.s, sunny and rainy Alaska is awesome and I am already waiting on 2018 cruises to post so I can share this wonderful place with my sister who has never been then.:)

Most of our Alaska cruises (we've done over a dozen) have been in May. We've seen temperatures in the high 30's to high 70's. We've seen rain, fog, sun, overcast, and drought. In other words prepare for anything. We always pack layers including long pants, shorts, long-sleeved shirts, short-sleeved shirts, sweatshirt or sweater, water resistant jacket, swimsuit, caps, and gloves.

Don't forget sunscreen! Both snow and water can be very reflective in Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise.

We've been to Alaska 8 times and going again in about a week. All of our cruises have been in Sept except for one time and then one cruise in early May several years back. We had record breaking heat in San Francisco, our port of embarkation on May 7th and it followed us up the coast and while in Alaska, except for Sitka, which was freezing!!! I mean freezing... and windy, too!!

Friends of ours left a few days later, also out of San Francisco (on a different cruise line) and they reported really cold and rainy weather throughout their entire trip. What was funny is that our only port where we met up with them was in Sitka. All the other days had us sitting out on our balcony in shorts and t-shirts.

We've found that only once did we have what some would call bad weather and that was one of the Sept cruises. We ran into a lot of wind, cold and rain (more like sleet that stung when it hit your face). Yet, this will go down as one of our favorite cruises of all times. It was just that special!! So, the weather in Alaska (and SF for that matter) is fickle. But, it is a cruise and you will be in one of the most amazing places on earth!! I wouldn't hesitate to book May, especially if it means you can save a little money.

PS -- this will be our first time ever going in a summer month. Wonder how that is going to work out ... who knows, we might be hooked. :)

How can anyone answer this question as to what's too cold for you ? It's all subjective . Plus Alaska is too unpredictable weather wise anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I realize Alaska weather can be very unpredictable (we did a carnival Alaska cruise in August 2009) and we had rain...cold..etc. I was just interested in what others had experienced ....

Thinking of booking an Alaskan cruise in May. Any thoughts? Cold?

As someone who has lived in Alaska for 40 years, May is often a transition month. THat said, we've just come off one of the warmest springs in years. So, May was more like summer (for us).

Typically, May is cold in the beginning of the month and they it warms up quickly. The last 2 weeks often have great weather.

But, as always, it depends. It can be sunny or rainy, warm or miserable and cold.

So, you should pack for all possible conditions from thr 50's and rain t osun and 70's.

Then you will not go wrong.

• 3 months later...

My husband and I are looking into cruises to Alaska for next year. This will be our first time. You seem to have a lot of experience with many Alaska cruises. Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of flying into Seattle. We set from NJ. Only cruised once with Princess to carribean quite some time ago.

Thanks so much

My husband and I are looking into cruises to Alaska for next year. This will be our first time. You seem to have a lot of experience with many Alaska cruises. Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of flying into Seattle. We set from NJ. Only cruised once with Princess to carribean quite some time ago.

Thanks so much

What kind of tips are you looking for? I sailed the round trip Seattle in August on the Crown. The ocean view cabin on the Plaza deck was comfortable, convenient to the international cafe, and easy to go up 2 flights to the promenade deck to be outside quickly.