14 Points Shy of Elite

DanL

I spoke with the CC host on an earlier cruise and she told me that precedence has been set although wouldn't give me examples that someone so close to Elite has been granted Elite status early upon boarding. Her advice to me was go and see the CC host as soon as you board and plead your case. Apparently she can get approval from Head office. I don't know how successful you will be but it is worth a try. Please let us know how you get on because we are also 8 points off Elite for our upcoming October cruise which has a number of tender ports. The cocktail party is of little significance to us as we have a drinks package but early tender spots would be.

You know, everyone at some point has that one cruise left before Elite. In our case we were TWO points away and we were on a TA!!! You just do the cruise and then enjoy the perks the next one.

I'd be really unhappy to hear that we could have gotten elite status early. I think the whole point is to sail the days and THEN get it.

Enjoy your cruise and just pay for your drinks as you go and buy a couple bags of laundry and some internet. That's less $$$ than a whole cruise.

Not sure where in VA you are, but sometimes southwest has some great prices to Florida (my mom just booked for $100 roundtrip out of BWI). So while I agree with others that the elite perks aren't taking a cruise; if you are looking for a reason to take a cruise, take a look at airfare :)

I spoke with the CC host on an earlier cruise and she told me that precedence has been set although wouldn't give me examples that someone so close to Elite has been granted Elite status early upon boarding. Her advice to me was go and see the CC host as soon as you board and plead your case. Apparently she can get approval from Head office. I don't know how successful you will be but it is worth a try. Please let us know how you get on because we are also 8 points off Elite for our upcoming October cruise which has a number of tender ports. The cocktail party is of little significance to us as we have a drinks package but early tender spots would be.

Yes, I would also know if you can make Elite status while you are on a cruise. We are only two points away from Elite and are booked on the Infinity for two weeks in February... Hong Kong to Singapore. We are thinking about taking the three day cruise on Nov 6 to make it, but really don't need to take another cruise to Nassau, etc.

The CC Host shouldn't have shared that information with you in my view. The terms and conditions are clear. Points for sailing are credited at the end of your cruise, not part way through. It should be the same for everyone and I've been there. Trouble with sharing information like this with a guest is they tell others about it and everyone wants to be a special case.

I wouldn't hold your breath, we were 4 points away after they restructured the Captains Club awards and were taking a 14 night cruise. We did not get the points until after the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would feel hugely embarrassed and very cheap to ask such a thing. Perhaps that's just me.

Just book your cruise with DRINK PACKAGE you will never think Elite is that important.:rolleyes:

We did that for the first time on this cruise. Probably won't think anything is important while imbibing :).

By the way I was told once "it never hurts to ask"

Why not wait to reach the required number after the next cruise....not sure what the urgency is..esp if you have an alc package ..and.or u could upgrade to a higher booking(best) and get more perks like intenet...or upgrade to a suite and get lots more perks...or take the extra short cruise and enjoy it plus the points,,,

One time we received extra cap club points in a booking special but never saw that repeated..

We usually skip tender ports...been there done that..not worth the troubles,...But if it matters, best bet for early tender is to book an excursion...ask excursion desk which ones go out earliest..

Edited by hcat

We did that for the first time on this cruise. Probably won't think anything is important while imbibing :).

By the way I was told once "it never hurts to ask"

That's funny but true.

Elite is worth while but not at any expense. Back in the old days when achieving Elite was very easy, DW and I took a two day cruise to the Bahamas just to get the credit. The ship was full of people doing the same thing. But if I had to pay for a hotel room the night before sailing or a flight to Florida, I would not pay the price. It's not worth the expense.

The CC Host shouldn't have shared that information with you in my view. The terms and conditions are clear. Points for sailing are credited at the end of your cruise, not part way through. It should be the same for everyone and I've been there. Trouble with sharing information like this with a guest is they tell others about it and everyone wants to be a special case.

Agree. Our 2015 B2B Cruise we were one point shy at the end of our first leg and our status didn't change until the second leg of the Cruise was completed. But we didn't expect it to change until the second leg was completed either.

Edited by davekathy

Couldn't agree more.

That's funny but true.

Elite is worth while but not at any expense. Back in the old days when achieving Elite was very easy, DW and I took a two day cruise to the Bahamas just to get the credit. The ship was full of people doing the same thing. But if I had to pay for a hotel room the night before sailing or a flight to Florida, I would not pay the price. It's not worth the expense.

Agree, we did the same knowing they were changing the Elite qualifications. We booked a 5 day in January. It was cheap and we wanted to cruise anyway so it was a win win. Living in S Florida helps.

Otherwise I wouldn't spend a lot to get Elite, not worth it.

enjoy your cruise

So true.

Why pick on the CC host. She was responding to a question from a guest - Me. She could have said not possible and in fact it may not be possible but until one asks one is never going to know.

I can only summise that those anti the CC answer are jealous that someone may be a good deal and heaven forbid if someone gets a good deal from a cruise line.

Why pick on the CC host. She was responding to a question from a guest - Me. She could have said not possible and in fact it may not be possible but until one asks one is never going to know.

I can only summise that those anti the CC answer are jealous that someone may be a good deal and heaven forbid if someone gets a good deal from a cruise line.

You can't be serious.

...and you think 8 points is close enough to be move to Elite. Now that's funny. In our case one point wasn't close enough to be moved to Elite after the first leg of our 2015 B2B Cruise. But then again we understood the guidelines and would never have asked to be moved up. IMO at that time we hadn't earned the so called right of passage yet.

Edited by davekathy

I recall when Celebrity switched from the old system to the new points system, they advanced some cruisers to the next level if they were 'close' - though I don't know what the definition of 'close' was. So asking - just asking, not demanding, if it's possible to advance isn't such a terrible thing.

...and you think 8 points is close enough to be move to Elite. Now that's funny. In our case one point wasn't close enough to be moved to Elite after the first leg of our 2015 B2B Cruise. But then again we understood the guidelines and would never have asked to be moved up. IMO at that time we hadn't earned the so called right of passage yet.

In about 6 weeks I will know the answer

It genuinely amazes me how serious people take their Captain Club membership level. It's a very good programme but are the benefits really worth that much at Elite level?

How many people miss out on better cruise itineraries because they're fixated by the amount of points they'll accrue by booking another X cruise? :confused:

Hey Mynki....I happen to take my 14 points to go to free Lattes and more laundry VERY SERIOUSLY!! :) Took 20 long years to get here, and the heart wants what it wants! Besides, a latte or espresso with gratuity is $8.00 for us Canucks. :( That's 14 points to Elite Plus. Won't get to Zenith in my lifetime.

Edited by jasm8449

It genuinely amazes me how serious people take their Captain Club membership level. It's a very good programme but are the benefits really worth that much at Elite level?

How many people miss out on better cruise itineraries because they're fixated by the amount of points they'll accrue by booking another X cruise? :confused:

Elite status on X ships have some advantages depending upon the cruise.

1. Priority access to tenders - this can save a lot of time hanging around waiting to get ashore on popular tender ports

2. Free bag of laundry - that's two free bags for a couple a saving of at least $US40

3. Evening cocktail party - not such a benefit if one has a drinks package

4. Possibility of entering or leaving harbour viewing from heli deck.

Its the little things that add up.

Our upcoming cruise has a number of popular tender ports so priority access is a possible issue. Cocktail party not an issue as we have a drinks package. Free laundry would be nice.