Bartenders less grumpy on Equinox?

janewe

On the Eclipse earlier this year I found a Bartender at the Mast Bar and another one at the Sunset Bar to be grumpy, the latter surly. This was at a time when there was no others to wait on. Subsequent to these experiences I went to another Bar to get drinks. Please note, I always ask with a please and give a thank you. It was a shame and I did comment on it in a post cruise survey. It did not, however, detract much from an otherwise great Cruise. In reading recent reviews on other Ships such as the Reflection I noticed a few reviewers had the same complaint.

We have a Cruise coming up in a few weeks. Does anyone have input on Bartenders in the above locations on Equinox?

Thank you!

Edited by janewe

Hard to say as the bartenders assignments gets changed. One of our favorites worked the Ennsemble bar first part of the cruise but part way through got moved to the Martini Bar.

It was not my intention to tar them all with the same brush. We were happy with our Bartender at the Ensemble Lounge too

Having travelled extensively on land and on sea,it's my observation that working with tourists on a daily basis must be really draining. The hours are long and often part-time with little attention paid to a permanent schedule. We always present ourselves with a pleasant manner but there are many that don't. These people are not robots and just like us,they have "bad" days.

This past March 2016 on the Equinox at the Martini bar, the bartenders were inattentive. My DH finally got attention from one of them and tipped heavily ($20) on our two drinks. Guess what? We got great service from then on. My DH continued to tip each evening. I resented that it took tips (over and above what is already included in the drinks) to get that kind of service.

The service at the World Class bar that same sailing was so bad that we left and never returned.

Other bars throughout the ship were all wonderful.

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

He could have been having a bad day. We ALL have bad days! Doesn't mean they're all grumpy on one ship. We never know what goes on below the deck in their part of the ship. (nor do I want to). It's not professional to let personal stuff seep into work, but it happens. Maybe it was a one-off.

We've had great bar service at all bars on all X ships, except one time at the new Slush. The bartender was nowhere to be seen, and when he returned he seemed disinterested, but made our drinks and we went on our way.

Some bartenders are really great. We've had terrific ones at the Martini Bar who will make us off-menu drinks, and we've had some who were robotic. We've had great ones in Michael's Club, and then the same one two days later is distracted.

I don't let the attitude of the bar person even hit my radar. Just keep on having a great cruise. I order my drink and wait and drink it. If they're nice, great, if they're not, I still drink it!!

On the Eclipse earlier this year I found a Bartender at the Mast Bar and another one at the Sunset Bar to be grumpy, the latter surly. This was at a time when there was no others to wait on. Subsequent to these experiences I went to another Bar to get drinks. Please note, I always ask with a please and give a thank you. It was a shame and I did comment on it in a post cruise survey. It did not, however, detract much from an otherwise great Cruise. In reading recent reviews on other Ships such as the Reflection I noticed a few reviewers had the same complaint.

We have a Cruise coming up in a few weeks. Does anyone have input on Bartenders in the above locations on Equinox?

Thank you!

We were on the Reflection in 2013, and the last 2 Thanksgivings '14 & '15 on the Equinox, and didn't experience any grumpy personnel in any venue. We are booked on the Equinox again in Nov 2017!

EW

On the Eclipse earlier this year I found

Interesting. On the Eclipse earlier this year we went to the World Class Bar. At first there was just two of us sat at a table. We waited almost 15 minutes before the single bar tender asked if we wanted a drink. During this time he'd been chatting to a couple sat at the bar and arranging his gear behind the bar.

He then took another 15 minutes to make and deliver our cocktails. He actually left them on the bar for well over 5 minutes whilst he chatted to the same couple.

Two more of our party then arrived and drinks were ordered. He disappeared for several minutes and again left this round of drinks on the bar whilst he chatted away...

When he eventually visited us again he asked if we wanted anything to drink. I asked how long it would take and his face immediately turned to thunder. He claimed that these world class craft cocktails take a long time to prepare. To which I said I completely understood, but leaving them on the bar whilst talking to other customers isn't really relevant.

Amazingly he then leaned forward and quite aggressively stated "If you're not happy you can talk to my manager! My name is *****. ***** from Mexico"! Whilst showing me his name badge. Matters detiorated when my friend burst out laughing because of his ridiculous behaviour.

I then said, there's no point in complaining, we just don't want to wait 15 minutes for one drink and I'll have one of these please. He then told me I could complain to his manager again, at this point I repeated I'd like a drink please five times! He then said "I don't think you understand the nature of craft cocktails".

He stormed off made a call, made my drinks and then the phone rang in the bar. I couldn't hear what was said but he was looking at our party whilst talking to a colleague. When we ecentaully left he said "Good night Mr *****, it has been my pleasure".

The next day I had the pleasure of discussing our experience with a food and beverage manager. I explained the whole event will have been captured on CCTV. She seemed particularly annoyed that the issue had not been escalated immediately by whoever he was talking to on the phone and advised that things would be taken care of.

We never saw ***** serving in the World Class bar again. Infact on the last day Celebrity left little gifts in our room so I called her to thank her. She apologised once again and stated that he had been removed from the world class bar after discussions with the hotel director.

This is not at all the kind of behaviour I'd ever expect to see on Celebrity in a million years. The bartender was rude, arrogant and aggresive so it's interesting to see others complaining. In all of our sailings the only other person onboard an X ship who was unprofessional was also a bartender....

Interesting.

And can, as we ALL KNOW, can have bad days, week, or moths for a variety of reason, and as mentioned above dealing with all the TOURIST who think their **** docent stink get old after a while, especial if they have had some negative experiences.

It is not acceptable for people in customer-facing positions to have "bad days" when their job is to provide service with a smile. They can keep their bad attitudes to crew-only areas. I too noticed a rather surly bartender at the World Class Bar on Reflection. He didn't direct negativity to me but he did to others, which is unprofessional no matter how you try to spin it. The funny thing is that almost every crew member you deal with is so pleasant that the grumpy ones really stick out.

It is not acceptable for people in customer-facing positions to have "bad days" when their job is to provide service with a smile. They can keep their bad attitudes to crew-only areas. I too noticed a rather surly bartender at the World Class Bar on Reflection. He didn't direct negativity to me but he did to others, which is unprofessional no matter how you try to spin it. The funny thing is that almost every crew member you deal with is so pleasant that the grumpy ones really stick out.

This was from a C.C. review on the Reflection posted last week and is indicative of what many have posted recently on other Celebrity Ships.

"My only other criticism was the bar staff, cold and rude in their service(certainly not deserving of the obligatory 18 percent gratuity). Apart from a couple of them I found them all very unfriendly and hard to get a drink at the bar(forget about service at the tables in peak times). Next cruise I will suspend the gratuities as lots did and pay them to deserving people at the end.

Perhaps what is happening is many are now on the drink packages and there is not the same incentive to provide good service. I do want to make it clear though that it was only a couple of Bartenders who forgot who were "paying" their wages. Most were okay and the staff at dinner were very good and they got something extra at the end of the Cruise.

If I find a Bartender cold and rude as the above poster put it, I will on my upcoming Cruise bring it to the attention of Guest Services. Hopefully Celebrity will re train front serving staff where necessary. Thanks for the responses.

This was from a C.C. review on the Reflection posted last week and is indicative of what many have posted recently on other Celebrity Ships.

" Next cruise I will suspend the gratuities as lots did and pay them to deserving people at the end.

Common misconception, the gratuities added daily have nothing to do with the bar servers. When using a beverage package there is no way to remove the grat, as most times there is no chit to sign.

I didn't think the poster made any mention of having the Beverage package and if not, according to the Celebrity web site:

" For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:"

I didn't think the poster made any mention of having the Beverage package and if not, according to the Celebrity web site:

" For your convenience, we automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard SeaPass® account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion:"

That's for the restaurant and stateroom staff, not the bar staff. Even if you do not have a drinks package, 15% is automatically added to the price of any drink ordered at a bar. It doesn't have anything to do with the automatic gratuities.

I guess I've been lucky on the Reflection for the past two years. Never had a surly bartender, even when the Molecular Bar was empty (pre-change). Now, I've had some who couldn't make a mojito, but they were pleasant about it!

It's 18% now.

Perhaps that's what bothered the person who made this comment on the most recent C.C. review on the Equinox.

"Service on the ship is generally ok, but I have to agree with other comments on this site regarding the bar staff. It seemed to our party that if you tipped a bar tender say 10 euros you were flavour of the week and would be served with a smile and immediately, however if you didn't then you were castigated to the end of the line and were really treated with contempt--not quite what we signed up for! "

Perhaps that's what bothered the person who made this comment on the most recent C.C. review on the Equinox.

"Service on the ship is generally ok, but I have to agree with other comments on this site regarding the bar staff. It seemed to our party that if you tipped a bar tender say 10 euros you were flavour of the week and would be served with a smile and immediately, however if you didn't then you were castigated to the end of the line and were really treated with contempt--not quite what we signed up for! "

I have never felt obliged to tip extra. To me it's how you treat them personally and I've not had a problem with service. Those that show how they truly are without an extra bribe as they go will be rewarded at the end. A positive mention on the post cruise questionnaire also goes a long way. I make a note on the iPad of names.

This past March 2016 on the Equinox at the Martini bar' date=' the bartenders were inattentive. My DH finally got attention from one of them and tipped heavily ($20) on our two drinks. Guess what? We got great service from then on. My DH continued to tip each evening. ......[/quote']

Am I understanding this correctly....

You had inattentive service, and THEN after you were finally served you rewarded the bartenders with a $20 tip for TWO drinks ?

And then you continued to tip them ($20 for each two drinks?) in order to maintain attentive service?

I think they saw you coming

Edited by DYKWIA

If most people onboard have a drinks package, as seems the case on celebrity nowadays, then this means the bar tenders already have their 18%, whether they serve drinks or not.

And if they don't get extra tips, especially when the cruise is in europe

Why work hard when they get paid the same as a lazy bar tender

I can remember the days when we spent half the night saying no thank you, as waiters and bar tenders were drumming up business

Am I understanding this correctly....

You had inattentive service, and THEN after you were finally served you rewarded the bartenders with a $20 tip for TWO drinks ?

And then you continued to tip them ($20 for each two drinks?) in order to maintain attentive service?

I think they saw you coming

No, you didn't understand correctly. The first night of a 10-nighter, DH, who is a "professional" martini drinker :) saw that if he wanted to get taken care of all week, he better set the tone. He tipped up front for our 2 drinks. The many more drinks to come that week, often got a $1 or $2 tip as well. I didn't think it necessary, but as I said, DH is a seasoned martini kind of guy and likes to take good care of those who take good care of him.

They did not "see us coming" because they were treating the entire bar with indifference that first night. And I think your comment was rude btw.

If most people onboard have a drinks package, as seems the case on celebrity nowadays, then this means the bar tenders already have their 18%, whether they serve drinks or not.

I can remember the days when we spent half the night saying no thank you, as waiters and bar tenders were drumming up business

I can remember those days too! Asking you if you wanted a drink every few minutes!! DH wanted to make a big sign and hold it up "No, I don't want a drink"!!!

Not correct, they still have to swipe a sea pass card and charge a drink to the package to get the grat on the cost. The package covers our cost, but if we don't ever buy a drink the bar tender or server don't have a sale to get compensated on.

Not correct, they still have to swipe a sea pass card and charge a drink to the package to get the grat on the cost. The package covers our cost, but if we don't ever buy a drink the bar tender or server don't have a sale to get compensated on.

The places I frequented, the Sunset Bar and Café al Bacio, they got to know me, and half the time they never asked for or swiped my card.