Q re attire / getting to the hot tub!

georgie73

Silly question maybe, but...

First time cruiser here. Heading off on a HAL Alaska cruise soon and I have a question about the pool.

We're staying on Deck 3 near the stern; the hot tub/pool is on Deck 8 centre. What do we wear to get from our cabin to the pool area?

I considered posting this in the Alaska forum, but thought maybe the HAL forum was a better fit, given the different 'cultures' on different cruise lines.

Thanks!

Bathing suit and a t-shirt is not a problem.

Agree. When I used the spa I just threw my clothes over my bathing suit on days I didn't want to be changing. Easy :)

Bathrobe going around the ship? I prefer to avoid that :p;)

When I am in my bathing suit going from my cabin to another ship board location (pool, spa, hot tub) I generally just wear a modest light bathing suit cover up over my suit like I would wear when we stay at the beach and some sandals I don't mind getting a little wet.

Also towels are provided at the pool area for your use so no need to bring any from the cabin. :)

Happy cruising!!

I'm happy to see that most wear a bathrobe to/from the ship's pool/hot tub. Whew!

KenNMB

Volendam: NYC to Bermuda (1978)

Nieuw Amsterdam Seattle to Alaska (2007)

Noordam: Port Everglades TA to Rome (2014)

Zuiderdam: to Panama (partial) (2015)

Veendam: Port Everglades to Montreal (Spring 2016)

Zuiderdam: Quebec City to Port Everglades (Fall 2016)

Please leave the bathrobes where they belong: in the bedroom.

For those uncomfortable just wearing a t-shirt, there are nice cover-ups available for sale for both men and women. The shops on board even sell some.

Shouldn't be that difficult to find space in the suitcase since a lot of people have taken their formal wear out of them now ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

HAL's Lido pool has a retractable roof -- nice and warm area even in Alaska.

Yes for using pool but if I can find a hot tub outside in the cold air it allows staying in longer without overheating. We frequent a lot of hot springs in the Western US & Canada (Ainsworth, Chico, Saratoga, Fairmont, Sol Duc, Banf, Granite Creek) often in early Spring or Fall and there's something special about sitting neck deep in hot water and cold air. Sort of feels like being a Japanese Snow Monkey. :D Unfortunately Amsterdam does not seem to have a totally outdoor hot tub. :(

I wear the bathrobe and use it's pocket for my room key. The robe is nice and absorbent so i"m not dripping in the elevator, leaving puddles for people to slip on...

There is certainly a difference of opinion around here, but to each their own. I'm just reporting what I do, not telling others what they should do... wasn't that the OP's question... "What do you wear?"

m--

I wear the bathrobe and use it's pocket for my room key. The robe is nice and absorbent so i"m not dripping in the elevator, leaving puddles for people to slip on...

There is certainly a difference of opinion around here, but to each their own. I'm just reporting what I do, not telling others what they should do... wasn't that the OP's question... "What do you wear?"

m--

Thanks for asking.I wear a pool jacket and carry a towel just like at a hotel!

Agree. When I used the spa I just threw my clothes over my bathing suit on days I didn't want to be changing. Easy :)

Bathrobe going around the ship? I prefer to avoid that :p;)

I too don't like wearing the bathrobe around the ship, but have a long dress which I wear as a beach coverup.. DH normally wears a T.shirt over his suit..As another poster mentioned no need to take a towel unless it's late at night or early in the a.m.

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks, all! Definitely a mix of opinions here.

I knew there were bathrobes available, but wasn't sure of the 'etiquette' of wearing them in the public areas. Sounds like they are OK if it's just a quick dash up the stairs to the pool area. Definitely not my style to wear a bathrobe around the ship in general!

In fact, I guess I'm more concerned with getting back to my room. Easy enough to wear clothes over my bikini while it's dry. :)

We are planning to hit the hot tub on the first day... a quick lunch, then a nice soak while waiting for the ship to leave. (But we will be sure to be ready for the safety drill!).

Please leave the bathrobes where they belong: in the bedroom.

For those uncomfortable just wearing a t-shirt, there are nice cover-ups available for sale for both men and women. The shops on board even sell some.

Shouldn't be that difficult to find space in the suitcase since a lot of people have taken their formal wear out of them now ;)

Too funny :D but I agree.

I wore cute swim coverups that looked like summer dresses, but were water absorbent. My husband wore a t-shirt and used the towel to wrap around his waist after he was wet.

I would never wear a bath robe outside of my room and the few people who did were definitely looked at funny by others in the pool area. One couple even came to the muster in bathrobes. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wore cute swim coverups that looked like summer dresses, but were water absorbent. My husband wore a t-shirt and used the towel to wrap around his waist after he was wet.

I would never wear a bath robe outside of my room and the few people who did were definitely looked at funny by others in the pool area. One couple even came to the muster in bathrobes. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have also seen them eating in the Lido in robes.

There's always a Cousin Eddy aboard the ship it seems. :eek:

cousin-eddie-costume-dressing-room-look1.jpg

Surprisingly,It usually the older travelers that are in the robes.They seem to think they are in their own kitchen.Never seen this very often on cruise lines other than HAL.