Q re attire / getting to the hot tub!

georgie73

Surprisingly,It usually the older travelers that are in the robes.They seem to think they are in their own kitchen.Never seen this very often on cruise lines other than HAL.

One morning in the Lido I saw a woman wearing a robe and a towel wrapped around her head. :D She was probably in her 40's. She held her head high, almost a superior demeanor as if she thought she was at a high-end spa. She thought she looked sophisticated, lol.

I've seen bathrobes on Celebrity too. It doesn't bother me unless I see them in the buffet line. Getting to and from the pool ok, but just don't sit in the Lido wearing a robe to eat a meal.

OP, you didn't say which ship you'll be on, but all of the HAL ships in Alaska right now (if I'm not mistaken) have the Sea View Pool in addition to the Lido pool, and there is a hot tub there as well. Yes, it's open air and the air will be chilly, but that's always what makes it even better IMO.. and since your cabin is in the aft part of the ship, you can just hop on the aft elevators up to the Sea View and dip in the hot tub. :) Can't wait! I'll be doing that on Westerdam Sep. 10. Woo hoo!

Edited by Moriah

OP, you didn't say which ship you'll be on, but all of the HAL ships in Alaska right now (if I'm not mistaken) have the Sea View Pool in addition to the Lido pool, and there is a hot tub there as well.

Sweet! I'd love an open-air/open to the wind hot tub! I thought they were only at the Lido area. The Sea View pool will likely be my go-to spot.

We're on the Volendam.

I don't remember hot tubs at the Sea View Pool on the Volendam. I don't remember them on any of the S- or R-class ships, for that matter.

You are right, Ruth, and I apologize. I forgot that Volendam was in Alaska out of Vancouver. My bad. :( I had Westerdam, Oosterdam, NA and Maasdam in mind (I think Veendam is up there too with the weird sea view thing they have now?)

Anyway, OP, Volendam is a wonderful ship and you'll have a blast!! Just a little more walking to the Lido - no biggie!!

Edited by Moriah

Too bad the Volendam doesn't have them. We really enjoyed sitting in the aft hot tubs on Noordam in early June as we left a couple of the AK ports in cloudy drizzle. :D

One thing though... the hot tub air jets were blowing *cold* air when engaged, which wasn't that enjoyable. After the first time we didn't hit the bubbles button again.

Edited by gpb11

Too bad the Volendam doesn't have them. We really enjoyed sitting in the aft hot tubs on Noordam in early June as we left a couple of the AK ports in cloudy drizzle. :D

One thing though... the hot tub air jets were blowing *cold* air when engaged, which wasn't that enjoyable. After the first time we didn't hit the bubbles button again.

We had a similar experience on the Westerdam a few weeks ago. The jets weren't blowing cold air, but there were cold little bubbles coming up from the seats. It was really weird.

Back to the original topic... my husband wears a t-shirt with his swim trunks, and I wear a sarong wrapped around my waist like a skirt and a big gauzy shirt coverup on top. I think wearing bathrobes around the ship looks really tacky.

Silly question maybe, but...

First time cruiser here. Heading off on a HAL Alaska cruise soon and I have a question about the pool.

We're staying on Deck 3 near the stern; the hot tub/pool is on Deck 8 centre. What do we wear to get from our cabin to the pool area?

I considered posting this in the Alaska forum, but thought maybe the HAL forum was a better fit, given the different 'cultures' on different cruise lines.

Thanks!

I always try to use the elevator that corresponds to the hot tub I want to use. IE Forward elevators for lido pool and aft elevators for sea view pool. I learned this the first time I used the mid ship elevator and went through the lido restaurant to get to the aft hot tub. It was embarrassing. :o

The bath robes were put in the room for a purpose. They are absolutely appropriate attire to wear to the pool/hot tubs/spa. To put on street clothes over your swim suit, and to get those clothes wet when going back to your room is silly. If you have a normal bathing suit cover up, that would be ok too. Those that are offended will be just that: offended. Shouldn't have any impact on you- or your choice of cover up. Enjoy the hot tubs!

The bath robes were put in the room for a purpose. They are absolutely appropriate attire to wear to the pool/hot tubs/spa. To put on street clothes over your swim suit, and to get those clothes wet when going back to your room is silly. If you have a normal bathing suit cover up, that would be ok too. Those that are offended will be just that: offended. Shouldn't have any impact on you- or your choice of cover up. Enjoy the hot tubs!

I'm kind of glad you said that. I've always wondered why people are sometimes so negative about robes being worn around the ship. While I agree 100% that they should NEVER be worn into a dining venue, I always thought it was fine around the pool, and going to and from the spa or pool. I guess I'm not very genteel, but I've never understood why that would not be appropriate... Certainly you wouldn't wear a robe with nothing under it, but with your bathing suit, it seems to me it's the perfect solution, especially in Alaska where it might be too chilly for your usual cover-up that you'd wear on a Caribbean beach, for example...

On the Vista ships, I always buy a week pass to the thermal suite and hydropool, and my habit is to go the spa with my swimsuit under something easy to take off, like sweats, and I use the robe provided by the spa to wear over my - now wet- suit on the way back to my room. I've asked several times on several ships is this is okay, and I'm always told it's absolutely fine. My room steward simply puts the robe in the ship's laundry with the towels each day, and it finds its way back to the spa because they are slightly different than the room robes.

As someone pointed out, robes are good for over a wet suit - I'd much rather be in an elevator with someone in a robe than with someone who only has a t-shirt over his or her dripping bathing suit!

I do think it's ridiculous for someone to think it's appropriate to wear a robe and a towel on their head to the lido for a meal, though. LOL about that one!

They're called BATH robes for a reason, they aren't called pool robes!

They're called BATH robes for a reason, they aren't called pool robes!

:) True, true, but still I'm mystified by so many people thinking they are not appropriate at the pool... they are certainly modest enough, and they don't look sloppy in a way that destroys the "atmosphere"... anyway, I guess it's just something we all have to agree to disagree about. That should be our biggest argument, or gripe with our fellow passengers, right? :)

I always try to use the elevator that corresponds to the hot tub I want to use. IE Forward elevators for lido pool and aft elevators for sea view pool. I learned this the first time I used the mid ship elevator and went through the lido restaurant to get to the aft hot tub. It was embarrassing. :o

Yes, exactly. I never wear a robe in the lido and if I'm wearing one I do try to scurry to my room - usually taking the steps rather than the elevator. My worst robe experience was on a formal night at around 6 PM when I was leaving the spa and forgot myself and got on the forward elevator... with a bunch of gorgeous formally dressed people... and me in my robe... sigh... :o

:) True, true, but still I'm mystified by so many people thinking they are not appropriate at the pool... they are certainly modest enough, and they don't look sloppy in a way that destroys the "atmosphere"... anyway, I guess it's just something we all have to agree to disagree about. That should be our biggest argument, or gripe with our fellow passengers, right? :)

While they are supposed to be modest enough,I have seen some robe malfunctions that an analyst would attribute nightmares to!

For those that wear their robes to the poo/spa/hot tub, I just have to ask...

So do you not want to put on your robe after a bath or shower?

I can't fathom putting on a robe after my bath that I have worn to the pool/whatever that now has chlorine, etc.in it and putting it on my clean self!

I guess I am silly and I like clean bathrobes.;)

Am I missing the boat?? (Again??)

Edited by kazu

The bath robes were put in the room for a purpose.

Certainly. Where you seem to differ from others is in your interpretation of that purpose. IMHO they're for when you're in the room and *maybe* even if answering the cabin door. They're not for strolling through the public areas. That's *my* opinion though.

They are absolutely appropriate attire to wear to the pool/hot tubs/spa. To put on street clothes over your swim suit, and to get those clothes wet when going back to your room is silly. If you have a normal bathing suit cover up, that would be ok too.

I respectfully disagree on the first point, and the second situation would be a sign of poor planning. A pool cover up or t-shirt is fairly typical, with a towel wrapped around you on the way back if needed.

Those that are offended will be just that: offended. Shouldn't have any impact on you- or your choice of cover up. Enjoy the hot tubs!

Each to their own. Speaking for myself, I try to be respectful of others sensitivities. I consider it just a part of living in society. I realize others may not share that view and will do whatever they feel like without a care in the world for the others around them. That is certainly their prerogative.

Edited by gpb11

Well I got one for you guys!!!!!

We were coming back from a late nite dinner at The Pinnicale Grill maybe around 10 pm.

Going through the lido we wanted to see there menu next morning.

Decided to get a drink to take back to our room at the sea view bar.

When we started walking through the lido pool area we saw 2 people completely

Naked getting into the spa!!!!

We walked by and said have a great time and they smiled and said come join us!!!!!

By that time a lot of stewards were coming over with towels!

We laughed and said we are in Europe!!!!

I still say wear a robe or something!

👍👍😀

Denise