Delayed Boarding Majesty of the Seas August 22nd

You are justified in being annoyed. If you complain enough they will give you a voucher of around $200 toward a future cruise. That's what we got.

I was disappointed that Majesty replaced Enchantment at Port Canaveral. No balconies on Majesty and the suites are overpriced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were delayed on our Alaskan cruise by about 4-5 hours. Reason: they had to almost sterilize the ship after previous passengers got sick. We didn't receive any sort of OBC and I didn't expect it. I was just happy that RC took care of the issue and prevented others from acquiring any problems. BTW, I work in an operating room and I know how much "sterility" comes into play.

We had delayed boarding on Majesty last August right around this time for a water maintenance issue. They did alert us ahead of time but I was so used to the messages to arrive later that I ignored it at first. Of course they sent several more the day before the cruise so we altered our time plans a little.

Luckily we live in FL, so we just had to change the time we decided to drive down to Miami. The notices told us they would not be boarding until around 4pm however we didn't want to get there during the rush and assumed they were overestimating the time, so we arrived around 2pm. They were taking luggage, but turning people away saying they really were not opening the doors to check in until 4pm. They did charter buses to take us over to the shopping and food area near the port and told everyone to enjoy that area until about 3:30pm when we could get back on the buses. They told us then that each stateroom would receive a $25 OBC to make up for us having to purchase our own lunch off the ship.

We did enjoy the food and shopping area but when we went to line up for the buses at 3:30pm, there were very long lines and not enough buses. There were a few RC staff trying to corral lines and get buses loaded however it was HOT out and people would just run out of line to the next bus when it arrived. It was definitely frustrating.

When we finally got on a bus and headed back to the port, the driver was told to drive around a little while because they were still not ready for anyone to board. Of course this made everyone extremely happy(note the sarcasm!). Once he was allowed to drive to the port, we were not allowed to get off as all of the buses full of people were waiting to board.

Eventually they let us off the buses and then we waited thru long lines outside (people actually passed out due to the heat and maybe a little too much alchohol), inside for check-in and after that to board. Some members of our group were less than friendly at this point so we chose to skip the boarding picture :D

Once we boarded they sent everyone directly to muster for the fastest muster drill I have ever attended and then we were sent on our way. They were just lining people up for muster as they boarded so I am not sure how many times they completed that process!

We went straight to our rooms and it was now around 6:45pm. We had 6:30pm dinner so I called to see what time they had moved it to due to late boarding and they had not moved it at all. So we ran to dinner. Needless to say it was not the best embarkation experience we have ever had!

The rest of the cruise was great though!!

Wow! Great story! :eek: Thanks for sharing. I feel so blessed to have never experienced anything like that! :eek: :eek:

Hopefully you're on board, I see people walking around.

Me and the princess spent the afternoon at Disney Springs shopping. Took an Uber from the hotel to the port for about $60 plus tip. We arrived pretty much at 5:30. We pretty much walked on board, no line because of the suite, it was like hitting the easy button. Also they had already called boarding #24. I asked someone who didn't know and arrived and waited from 11. She said they started boarding around 4 pm. After our embarkation photo I ordered the premium drink package, which I cancelled pre cruise. Mistake I paid more. Besides wine at dinner I didn't use the package night 1.

I started my first trip report if anyone is interested.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50844871#post50844871

This is why we don't prepurchase drink packages. Unless you board at lunch time, you may be better off buying drinks a la carte the first day, then adding the package on the second day. I guess RC still lets you do that?

5:30 is a really late arrival time. You are losing 5-6 hrs of vacation, and you're going to probably have to stand around like sardines. If you don't get any credit, contact the resolutions department after you get back home.

Just back from the infamous "delayed boarding" cruise.. We drove and parked at the Pier at 2:30, dropped off our luggage, went into the terminal and did all our paper work, got our set sail cards-all this took very little time-maybe 20 minutes. We then walked over to The Cove, walked around, ate lunch, had a drink and went back to the terminal at 4PM We were in Group 12 for boarding the ship. They started boarding at 4:30 and we were on board and in our room by 5PM Port Canaveral is a very easy port to get to and Terminal 1 is wonderful-the best port so far for us. As far as I could tell there were no residual water issues so I think it was just routine maintenance. We were awarded compensation for the delayed cruise-the compensation was 1/2 the daily fare ( one day) so for the 2 of us that amounted to $70 We enjoyed the cruise, weather was pretty good, a sprinkle of rain in Nasseau and a late thunderstorm in CocoCay that did not interfere with our enjoyment of the ports. We took the 9:30 tender to the Island and the storm started around 1:30 so we had plenty of time to enjoy the Island.. I thought the Majesty was a really nice small ship for a 3 or 4 day Bahama cruise. The entertainment was good, the food was ok-we certainly didn't starve. I thought the ship was clean and there were many outside decks to enjoy the sea air. I would definitely sail on the Majesty again.

Nope. We also left Cocoa Cay early, due to weather. Still booked a cruise on the Oasis, want to take a voyage on the biggest cruise ship.

Just back from the infamous "delayed boarding" cruise.. We drove and parked at the Pier at 2:30, dropped off our luggage, went into the terminal and did all our paper work, got our set sail cards-all this took very little time-maybe 20 minutes. We then walked over to The Cove, walked around, ate lunch, had a drink and went back to the terminal at 4PM We were in Group 12 for boarding the ship. They started boarding at 4:30 and we were on board and in our room by 5PM Port Canaveral is a very easy port to get to and Terminal 1 is wonderful-the best port so far for us. As far as I could tell there were no residual water issues so I think it was just routine maintenance. We were awarded compensation for the delayed cruise-the compensation was 1/2 the daily fare ( one day) so for the 2 of us that amounted to $70 We enjoyed the cruise, weather was pretty good, a sprinkle of rain in Nasseau and a late thunderstorm in CocoCay that did not interfere with our enjoyment of the ports. We took the 9:30 tender to the Island and the storm started around 1:30 so we had plenty of time to enjoy the Island.. I thought the Majesty was a really nice small ship for a 3 or 4 day Bahama cruise. The entertainment was good, the food was ok-we certainly didn't starve. I thought the ship was clean and there were many outside decks to enjoy the sea air. I would definitely sail on the Majesty again.

Two different answers on compensation. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Two different answers on compensation. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

We definitely got compensated-it was automatically added to our onboard account given as on board credit. If you didn't use it, it was not refundable. We got quite a few yummy tropical drinks with ours;)

We definitely got compensated-it was automatically added to our onboard account given as on board credit. If you didn't use it, it was not refundable. We got quite a few yummy tropical drinks with ours;)

Oh that's what that was. Yes I also received half a day about $24? Dollars I thought it was the refund for my package but I used a different card. That makes me feel better.

Overall it was a good cruise. I'm eager to see what the Oasis will be like.

I didn't know the Harmony was bigger. Maybe I'll switch, although I really want to do a Mediterranean cruise.

Edited by EbonySHeart

I didn't know the Harmony was bigger. Maybe I'll switch, although I really want to do a Mediterranean cruise.

It's only technically bigger. You probably wouldn't notice. Biggest in Med are Indy and Freedom

If you hurry you can do a Med cruise on Harmony. She is there until she leaves Barcelona on October 23 for her transatlantic.

Oh that's what that was. Yes I also received half a day about $24? Dollars I thought it was the refund for my package but I used a different card. That makes me feel better.

Glad to see RCI did right by it's customers and seems to have fairly compensated them.

I know I am late reporting but, I wanted to add in my twenty dollars.

We did get compensated, as others stated it was an onboard credit use or lose on the current cruise.

Having read the Aug and Nov delay boarding forum posts I can say that RCI did right by us.

1. We landed at MCO (just after 10am) and then took the tram to baggage claim where we saw the guys holding RC signs. One walked with us to the other side of the airport to the RCI desk. There RC reps acknowledged the delay and explained that RC had arranged buses to take us to the beach and restaurants. They offered to board our luggage on the ship and helped adhere the cabin tags to our checked and carry-on suitcases. We were able to take out whatever we needed and put into my beach bag. They then directed us to the transfer (chartered bus to Port Canaveral) and we arrived at Terminal 1 about noon.

2. Like someone else said, early arrival to the terminal was easy. Not many people were there, maybe 150. We went through the TSA-like lines on the first level then upstairs to check-in which was quick. Showed documents, signed Sea Pass form and got our sea passes and a group number card. Ours was Group 3.

3. In this large room were multiple chairs which one of the things I read in last years posts was that the elderly and people with walkers were left to stand in lines for long periods. I don't know if the Group number cards are new which would negate having to stand to hold your place in line. You could just sit and wait to be called.

4. They provided lunch for us. Subway 6in sandwiches of ham, turkey and roast beef and condiment packages. and potato chips bags. They had packs of water bottles and they had the flavored water dispensers out. This was a step up from the tuna and bologna sandwiches I read about in the other posts so I think they heard the gripes on that and made improvements.

5. After we ate (1pm maybe) we went downstairs and boarded the bus to go to Merritt Square mall. We were going to go to the movies but then I saw a nail salon and since I had not gotten a mani-pedi I took the opportunity. Afterwards we ate a supper (?) at Ruby Tuesday and then headed back to the terminal (4pm). We got there and almost all chairs in that big room were FILLED. Luckily someone came on the intercom about 15mins into our arrival and said that they had good news and boarding was about to begin. We all cheered. While Group 3 sounds like we would quickly board (I heard a guy say they were Group 22), RCI does things right and allow the Crown and Anchor members to board first along with the suites passengers and those needing assistance. Still we did not wait too long.

I know I am long-winded so I will summarize the cruise for me (ha). Our first cruise, the Starlight dining room was amazing. The Windjammer Buffet was pleasing. The crew did everything to keep us entertained via The Chorus Line, Pool Deck, dining rooms and centrum. Our steward was amazing. Our bags were there when we got to the room btw. Nassau was nice, yes it rained on our Paradise Sightseeing Tour so we didn't get to get off the bus to see the Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle, etc. I would go back to see the Dig and Predator Lagoon at Atlantis but probably for no other reason, maybe Junkanoo Beach and Twin Brother's/Goldies since we only ate at Senor Frogs. Our favorite was CocoCay and I truly could stay there for two days at Port if there were places to stay over in. It did begin to drizzle around 1:30pm but not by much because I went to the Shore Excursions just around 2:30pm to see if our Glass Bottom Boat tour left without us (it was cancelled due to the storm). We were refunded as an onboard credit which cut our tab to credit card. Because everyone had to be transported back to the ship by tenders we were probably very much still on Cococay at 4pm. It was raining but nothing scary. Oh and that night all the way til I fell asleep the boat was rocky and we were in the middle of the ship. I don't know if that was the rough waters or the captain trying to escape the storm. As for the Majesty, I like this ship a lot, I love the crew and that amount of people was enough for me. I don't know if I can go on a bigger ship with double the passengers.

Lastly, thanks for reading. :-D

Edited by NiknVA

I know I am late reporting but, I wanted to add in my twenty dollars.

We did get compensated, as others stated it was an onboard credit use or lose on the current cruise.

Having read the Aug and Nov delay boarding forum posts I can say that RCI did right by us.

Thanks for sharing.