Pregnant and cruising in 2 days

Becksi

My first post here, sorry for it to be such a weird one. I have just found out I am pregnant - 6-8 weeks along most likely but I cruise Monday morning. I am in the UK and my doctor doesn't have an appointment for 2 weeks and is obviously closed on the weekend. I am travelling from the UK within the EU so as far as I am aware there is no risk of Zika. There is no flight involved and just a 1 hour drive to port. I have very good travel insurance, I'm 33, in good health and this is going to be my first. It is a very unexpected (but welcome) pregnancy so we really did not expect the timing.

I am cruising with RCCL.

I am obviously not showing in the slightest yet so there is no way they would know. Should I declare the pregnancy on the health form without a doctors note (at 8 weeks max will this still require a dr note and cause problems, will they refuse me?) or should I just not declare it? Is the declaration just to absolve them of any liability?

Congratulations, wife is in a similar situation; best to check the cruise lines website and inform them as you will have special dietary requirements; ours said just tell the maitre di, waiter as well.

No need for a Dr letter.

Congratulations! Just in case of morning sickness get some green apples and saltines (salty crackers) in the buffet, and keep them in the cabin.

When I got pregnant, I was ready to share the happy event with the whole world, and you may be feeling the same. I would not notify the ship as it's too late for you to get a doctor's note, and you don't really need any special arrangements, except that maybe you will become a picky eater :)

My first post here, sorry for it to be such a weird one. I have just found out I am pregnant - 6-8 weeks along most likely but I cruise Monday morning. I am in the UK and my doctor doesn't have an appointment for 2 weeks and is obviously closed on the weekend. I am travelling from the UK within the EU so as far as I am aware there is no risk of Zika. There is no flight involved and just a 1 hour drive to port. I have very good travel insurance, I'm 33, in good health and this is going to be my first. It is a very unexpected (but welcome) pregnancy so we really did not expect the timing.

I am cruising with RCCL.

I am obviously not showing in the slightest yet so there is no way they would know. Should I declare the pregnancy on the health form without a doctors note (at 8 weeks max will this still require a dr note and cause problems, will they refuse me?) or should I just not declare it? Is the declaration just to absolve them of any liability?

Funny there was a thread just recently that touched on this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2391367

Anyway, here's what the RCI website says:

Pregnancy

Royal Caribbean International cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@rccl.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

Can you go to a medi-clinic (obviously, not your personal physician) and have them complete a "Fit To Travel" note? The reason I'm asking is in the event that, God forbid, something happened to your pregnancy during your cruise and you haven't noted it to the cruise line, you end up in the infirmary and it isn't on your record, your insurance may not take care of the costs. Just trying to help by covering the bases.

BTW, congrats on your pregnancy!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Can you go to a medi-clinic (obviously, not your personal physician) and have them complete a "Fit To Travel" note? The reason I'm asking is in the event that, God forbid, something happened to your pregnancy during your cruise and you haven't noted it to the cruise line, you end up in the infirmary and it isn't on your record, your insurance may not take care of the costs. Just trying to help by covering the bases.

Smooth Sailing

VERy good points aND SUGGESTION.

I am usually of the school of thought....... declare.

But in this case, most women don't say anything in the 1st 12 weeks anyway.

I would say......... don't declare and don't tell anybody on the ship ( not even other passengers).

as for the insurance company....... I would tell them, but that does not affect the cruise line.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Which lies at the heart of the policy regarding notifying the cruise line and the limits of when one who is pregnant can cruise. It is a liability issue imposed by the ship's insurance carrier. The medical staff on board is also limited in their abilities to deal with pre-natal issues, which is also a consideration with their policy guidelines.

Notify or don't notify, totally up to you, but just understand the reasoning behind a cruise lines concerns and policy regarding that.

Which lies at the heart of the policy regarding notifying the cruise line and the limits of when one who is pregnant can cruise. It is a liability issue imposed by the ship's insurance carrier. The medical staff on board is also limited in their abilities to deal with pre-natal issues, which is also a consideration with their policy guidelines.

Notify or don't notify, totally up to you, but just understand the reasoning behind a cruise lines concerns and policy regarding that.

But in the case of the OP's pregnancy, there is nothing a medical provider on land could do with a pregnancy issue that early on.

But in the case of the OP's pregnancy, there is nothing a medical provider on land could do with a pregnancy issue that early on.

I get it, and understood and no disagreement or judgement. Just commenting on the reasoning behind the policy. With RCI, the policy does not qualify that notification should be given beginning at a certain time, just that notification should be given indicating how far along one is at the date of sailing.

Edited by leaveitallbehind