Specialty Dining Solo

HeartwiseBonus

A group from work is travelling on the Escape in September. Alas, I am the only foodie of the group willing to spend $$ on specialty dining. I would like to do the 3 SDP but am afraid they will go to waste. I don't mind eating alone at bar, but do feel kind of awkward at a table alone in a full dining room. Should I try to make reservations for one? hope to find a group that will let me tag along? are there bar seats available at Cagneys and Le Bistro? Should I just do a al a carte at the bar to try the things I really want?

I admit it's a good problem to have, but I'm still really unsure.

A group from work is travelling on the Escape in September. Alas, I am the only foodie of the group willing to spend $$ on specialty dining. I would like to do the 3 SDP but am afraid they will go to waste. I don't mind eating alone at bar, but do feel kind of awkward at a table alone in a full dining room. Should I try to make reservations for one? hope to find a group that will let me tag along? are there bar seats available at Cagneys and Le Bistro? Should I just do a al a carte at the bar to try the things I really want?

Make a reservation for one. There are no bar seats available at Cagney's, not sure about Le Bistro as I've never been. I eat in the specialty restaurants solo all the time and it has never felt awkward. I would get the SDP, that way you can choose what you want (an example in Cagney's the a la carte pricing for a wedge salad, small filet and baked potato is $26 including tip). If you think you will feel awkward, just bring a book, magazine or ipad along to read while you are eating.

Here is Cagney's menu: http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/30967_cagneys_escape_dinner_menu.pdf

Here is Le Bistro's menu: http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/30965_le_bistro_dinner_menu_escape.pdf

Edited by NLH Arizona

There are plenty of small tables that are very comfortable for one. I had a gorgeous water view at Le Bistro. My Teppanyaki table had a varied group of friendly people and I had a great time there. Everyone is minding their own business, enjoying their dinners and not staring at the "table for one". Go and enjoy!

There is a bar located between Cagneys and Moderno, but no one eats there. Le Bistro is tiny, definately no bar area there. I'd just book for 1 person. There are no tables for "one", so you'll at least get a two top. If you find a companion for dinner, I'm sure they could accommodate as there would be no difference in the seating. I wouldn't be concerned about dining alone. I would think nothing of it if I saw a single diner. There are many reasons why people go in different directions on a cruise. But your friends definately do not know what they are missing. Do get the SDP. It will save you money over going a la carte. The around the hibachi seating at Teppanyaki would give you an opportunity to be part of a group, rather than a single.

Edited by punkincc

I also felt awkward at first when I bought the UDP on my first solo trip. But I quickly got over it when I went to my first specialty dinner as a solo. I looked around and saw that I was not alone doing it, and everybody made me very comfortable about eating by myself.

When the waiter first comes to your table, even if you made the reservation for 1, he/she will ask if you are dining alone that night. Don't be offended by the question, they're not judging you, it's only to know if they can clear the extra cover from the table. Other than that question, I never got any other remark or suspicious look from either the staff or other passengers on any NCL cruise ship.

The only restaurant I would not go back to as a solo is Teppanyaki. As much as I love the food there, I often found myself seated with couples or families that keep to themselves, or even worse, that don't speak either of my languages. That's the only time I felt uncomfortable eating alone.

For my upcoming trip, I made reservations for two, even though I will be eating alone. As others have mentioned, as a solo, you'll be seated at a table for two anyway. Reason I did that is that somehow, the online reservation system blocks certain times if you make a reservation for 1. And since most restaurants are now A La Carte, you don't have to prepay your dinners, so you won't be double charged for make a reservation for 2. This strategy would not work in the fixed price places (Teppanyaki and Moderno).

My first solo cruise was on the Jade and I had a 7-night UDP package--I bought it specifically because I'm also a foodie and wanted to try the different restaurants. I dined alone in most of the specialties. I took a book and read and the wait staff often came by and chatted for a moment. The only place it felt the least bit awkward to me was at Teppanyaki. They seated me with two families with young children. The parents in the families sat their children next to me so I was sandwiched between two 10 year olds. They just talked among themselves. I don't know what the logic was in seating me at that table when the other table had two open spaces and it was solos and couples. I wanted to be over there! LOL. So, if I were dine solo in Teppanyaki again, I would talk with the hostess about the seating before hand. :D

You'll only feel awkward if you allow yourself to. Solo diners are nothing new for the staff and the other diners--unless they have no manners at all!--won't be staring at you.

I cruised solo on the Epic and the solos' cruise director arranged meals for groups of solos (I didn't participate) and the reservations were always at the free venues. I would talk with him or her if you're wanting to dine with others about setting up small groups at the specialties to see if anyone else is interested. That way you won't need to make a reservation for 4 and hope for the best. :p

I only eat in the specialties and dine alone more often than not. They will make you feel very welcome and never "out of place" doing so. On my last cruise, I did know another solo traveler so, some nights, we "combined" our reservations and ate together. They never gave us a hard time about that. (Remember, there are only tables for 2 anyway :D ).

I do bring my Kindle with me as I enjoy reading and, on a cruise, is the only time I get to do so (well, pleasure reading vs. work reading).

Enjoy - the specialties are wonderful! You won't regret it!

Definitely go try the specialty restaurants! I am a foodie too and never think twice about dining alone (I am married with two kids as well). My husband is not a foodie so I have been known to go to restaurants alone on trips. No point on wasting the money on him when he is happy with a burger. :D

I used to always just bring a notepad and make my "to do" list for the week so I had a focus and would not feel awkward. Now I don't feel awkward at all, I just enjoy the fabulous food!

Have fun!!!

Sue

:)

Edited by suesings

Teppanyaki will seat you at a group table. But I guess, like anywhere else you could go, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing kinda depends on the other people.

When I went, I was seated with a couple of guys who looked like they just got out of prison to my left, and the art gallery staff to my right. I braced myself for what I thought was going to be an awkward meal but it turned out just fine, everybody was nice and friendly.

I love dining solo in Le Bistro. Make an early res and ask them to seat you at one of the small two tops against the back wall. You can then sit with your back towards the wall and read a book or device without feeling you're disturbing anyone. I've gotten zero comments or raised eyebrows doing this.

If you're not used to eating alone at a table in a restaurant, it's going to be awkward. No matter how many people here tell you that you shouldn't feel awkward. There is no eating at the bar at Cagney's or Le Bistro (and to be honest, I don't really get why that would be less awkward, but that just goes to show again that awkward is in each person's head).

It sounds like you are a social person, so I think ColeThornton's suggestion was a good one: Go to the solo gathering (you can go with the other solos in your group) and find dining companions there.

The old saying holds true: You wouldn't worry so much about what people think about you if you knew how seldom they do!

Think about it -- in your daily life when you're out to eat and you walk through a restaurant to your table and see one person at a two top... do you immediately launch into an internal dialogue about it? Even if you notice, chances are you assume their partner is running late, in the restroom, etc. If you notice there is only one place setting... how much additional thought do you put into it yourself? Probably little to none. Same for everybody else!

Generally speaking when I'm walking to my table in any restaurant the only time I notice other people at tables is if they're making a commotion and I hope I don't end up near them.

Definitely bring a book or magazine and you can use it as a refuge if you get self conscious (or bored).

Whereas I seldom see solos dining at restaurants on land, every time I'm in a specialty restaurant on a ship I see some. It appears to be fairly common, so no need to have qualms about it.

Edited by LrgPizza

Teppanyaki will seat you at a group table. But I guess, like anywhere else you could go, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing kinda depends on the other people.

When I went, I was seated with a couple of guys who looked like they just got out of prison to my left, and the art gallery staff to my right. I braced myself for what I thought was going to be an awkward meal but it turned out just fine, everybody was nice and friendly.

Well at least your ex cons must have done very well in prison since they were able to afford the cruise and the $39 per person admission to Teppanyaki's! LOL!

Isn't it $29, not $39?

We're both wrong! I was going by memory but the price below I copied and pasted from my cruise reservation this coming October.

Teppanyaki

Adult from $35.34

Edited by Jana60

Isn't that $29 plus 18%?

No. 18% of $29 is $5.22 which would make the price of dinner $34.22. This is not what they charge. Like I said I copied and pasted the actual price from my reservation and it was $35.34. So where did the extra $1.12 charge come from? The math also would not work out if the price were $30 plus gratuity.

Edited by Jana60

Please do make some specialty dining reservations! I specifically book specialty dining when I'm sailing solo on NCL because the restaurants are smaller and mostly have 2-tops and 4-tops. When a restaurant only holds about 75 people, I feel much less awkward than I would in a dining room that holds 600 people. If you repeat, you may find that you catch the attention of the maitre'd, which can have advantages.

Unrelated to any potential advantage: On my last cruise on Epic, the maitre'd approached me and informed me that another singleton had requested to dine with me after I had already started. How could I say no? I'll do anything once, I guess, and it wasn't too bad.

And do attend the solo gathering in the studio lounge; it is a very good way to meet other solo travelers, and usually the social coordinator will put together group reservations in specialty restaurants.

Have fun!