Trave Insurance - Worth it?

Sam&Joe25th

Hi Everyone!

Planning to cruise in Sept of 2017 for Daughter's 21st BD but going to book now for early saver discount. Sail from Jacksonville FLA 4 days to Bahamas. We live in Charlotte NC and will be driving down. Looking for opinions on if the $49 per person travel insurance is really worth it? Thoughts?

Anyone ever had to use it and how was that experience? I know its only $49, but hey that's almost a endless drink card :).

Absolutely worth it. Even if you don't get it through Carnival, get it through somewhere. You never know what could happen between now and when you cruise. We see so many postings on here where they ask if Carnival will reimburse them because for one reason or another, they couldn't take their cruise. If you have insurance, it will reimburse you if you have to miss your cruise. Do try to get a policy that will cover cancellation for any reason though.

I do independent insurance thru insuremytrip.com also instead of Carnival's insurance and we purchase it every time. A few years ago we were delayed coming back into port and didn't debark til 9 pm. We're facing 10+ hour drive home. Only drove around 3, pulled off and got hotel for night. We're reimbursed that expense due to travel delay. That is a small illustration. Last year a couple we knew, husband passed a kidney stone 2nd to last night of cruise, was in the infirmary for a while with fluids and pain meds. Without insurance would hate to know that cost, regular health insurance wouldn't cover it. Too many possibilities to not be prepared. That is us. I know folks who never get it but it's worth it for my peace of mind

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by mamajules

Hi Everyone!

Planning to cruise in Sept of 2017 for Daughter's 21st BD but going to book now for early saver discount. Sail from Jacksonville FLA 4 days to Bahamas. We live in Charlotte NC and will be driving down. Looking for opinions on if the $49 per person travel insurance is really worth it? Thoughts?

Anyone ever had to use it and how was that experience? I know its only $49, but hey that's almost a endless drink card :).

you may be able to self insure the cost of this cruise, but will your health insurance cover the cost of an appendicitis attack or even worse?

Hi Sam & Joe

Like all insurance, determining if it is worth it depends on your circumstances.

If you don't have insurance (doesn't matter what kind) and you find that you need it, that is when it is "worth it". If you have other insurance that could cover possible medical expenses, maybe all you need is trip insurance. If you feel you can personally cover any out of pocket loses from savings then you don't need insurance. If that isn't the case, then travelling without any insurance would be considered a gamble. I don't know if you have heard the thought that "it is not wise to gamble with money you don't have".

have a great cruise

Agreeing with others. Always insure. Insuremytrip.com is my go to for that also.

There are a lot of variables you may want to consider that may or may not come with cruise line offered insurance. Some of the biggest costs are things like flight home from a foreign country for medical reasons, repatriation of remains & medical costs on board.

You can also get cancel for any reason insurance in case you can't go but the reason is not covered by other policies. I've called IMT on different occasions and the staff has been very helpful in making a decision. Never felt any pressure to buy more than I needed.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

I always purchase through insuremytrip ... I had to be medically evacuated off ship on the missippi River due to hip dislocation... Pilot boat to 2 hour ambulance ride, plus hospital costs... $26,000 bill... Covered... Figured that more than pays for insurance for every trip from now till I can travel,no more!! All it takes is ONE medical emergency!! The cancellation is good too, but I get it for the medical piece of mind!

People we know were going on a Fairly expensive cruise ($9K USD) . They didn't buy insurance. He went to his a doctor a week before his cruise to renew his meds. The doctor found he needed emergency hear surgery . No insurance no money back . Lost most of the $9K.

We take it every time and unfortunately have had to use it twice. Once to cancel for illness and another to fly home for the serious illness of my Mom in law. Well worth it.

OBTW when we had to fly home from Puerto Vallarta the Carnival Guest Services folks could not of been more helpful arranging a flight and getting us to the air port.

I never used to get it..then I read it cost someone 12 grand to be airlifted back to the States. I was like oh my ...no way After that I always got it. I've only had to use it once this last January and it paid for a trip delay due to the Port of Tampa being closed ( fog) I use Travel Insured thru my USAA insurance. They do not charge you for minor children ( their coverage is FREE) So yes get it. Look at it as part of the cost of cruising.

We always buy travel insurance. And not just for a possible cancellation. Quite a few years ago my sister was on a cruise with about 10 other couples. One of the women had to get off the ship in Nassau, Bahamas, to go to the hospital. She was having a gallbladder attack and had to have emergency surgery. The hospital would not touch her until the bill was paid in full. You are totally at their mercy. All the couples were at the hospital giving credit card info to the hospital until they were able to get it paid. THAT is why we always buy travel insurance. I just turned 60 and DH just turned 61. Any health issue is possible and with insurance at least we can be reimbursed. Insurance might not help at the immediate moment but knowing reimbursement will be coming sure takes a lot of worries away.

Hi Everyone!

Would you be willing to take a few minutes and do a search here at CC on the horror stories of people who did and did not have trip insurance? I've read enough of them in the few years I've been posting here. We have 37 cruises under our belt and there isn't one single cruise that we've been on where someone did not need medical attention. We sat one time in the atrium waiting to go to dinner when this elderly main fell down the stairs head first. He crashed into the metal railing and knocked himself out. People having heart attacks and not making it through it - young and old. A few have died - young and old. I wouldn't chance not having it - ever.

Edited by elliair

Thanks Everyone!! - I will check out insuremytrip.com for sure.

So do I book cruise first and then buy insurance?

How soon after booking cruise do I have to purchase insurance?

Yes. Purchase your cruise. Then look at insurance. When you get insurance it will ask for dates, cost, date you booked, etc

If your purchase right after you book your cruise usually there is no pre-existing look back period. But you can purchase it at any time after you purchase the cruise

Edited by mamajules

Thanks Everyone!! - I will check out insuremytrip.com for sure.

So do I book cruise first and then buy insurance?

How soon after booking cruise do I have to purchase insurance?

Book the cruise first because the insurance company needs to know how much the cruise will be (total). Even though you are driving, you will still be insured. Just make sure you state the day you are leaving YOUR house not leaving on the cruise day. Book the insurance the same day you book your cruise. For instance, on our upcoming cruise we are renting a car and driving it to San Francisco. We are traveling 3 days prior to getting on the ship and we want to be insured for those noncruising days. We want our flights and everything to be covered. Do not wait to purchase the travel insurance, book it the same day or the next.

Edited by elliair

Wish I knew the answer to the OP's question. I always buy it and consider it part of the cost of the cruise. I have never had to file a claim.

In over 40 years of home ownership I have filed one claim for hail damage that amounted to less than $3,000. In over fifty years of driving I have filed three claims for a total of under $11.000.00, but I wouldn't drive without it.

I mostly buy the travel insurance because I always take a family member with me and feel an obligation to them to come through with the promised trip and to get them home safely.

It may be wasted money but it brings me peace of mind.

Also... Many credit cards provide travel insurance... We use Chase Sapphire as it has a good supplemental policy (we purchase trip insurance) but it's a good backup and included in the cards benefits... Plus great point redemption for travel! Usually insurance should be purchased within 7-14 days after deposit on the cruise... On insuremytrip you can click on several policies and compare side by side.