11:40 Flight Too Early?

ipoder

I am looking at a flight post cruise that leaves Schipol Airport Amsterdam at 11:40 a.m. for the U.S. Does this seem like a reasonable departure time? The Koningsdam gets into Amsterdam on Sunday, July 2 after a Norwegian Fjord cruise.

I am looking at a flight post cruise that leaves Schipol Airport Amsterdam at 11:40 a.m. for the U.S. Does this seem like a reasonable departure time? The Koningsdam gets into Amsterdam on Sunday, July 2 after a Norwegian Fjord cruise.

You can do it, but some would say you are pushing it. Although Schipol is close by train or taxi, any delays disembarking, etc would make this a hair-raising adventure.

We will have an 11:20 am flight from Rome back to Canada when we disembark the Koningsdam in October. We will take our own luggage off the ship and I have arranged a private car to pick us up at 7:30 am.

We were told HAL's own transfer service would not accommodate flights before 11:30 on disembarkation day so you should be ok depending on how far away the airport is in Amsterdam.

One thing to consider -this is an International flight. How many hours in advance does your air line require you to be there? Two or three hours?

Just read an interesting article on how many airlines are requiring over two hours in advance check in.

Are you capable of self disembarkation?

I would book that flight if I were in a hotel and had full control of when I could leave,etc., but there is no guarantee on a ship of timely arrival nor timely disembarkation. Things can happen.

Edited by kazu

We will have an 11:20 am flight from Rome back to Canada when we disembark the Koningsdam in October. We will take our own luggage off the ship and I have arranged a private car to pick us up at 7:30 am.

We were told HAL's own transfer service would not accommodate flights before 11:30 on disembarkation day so you should be ok depending on how far away the airport is in Amsterdam.

Not to quibble with your plans, but I would give some thought to HAL's refusal to accommodate this schedule. The Rome airport is a long way from the port. I am wondering how long the car service thinks this will take. I hope everything goes really smoothly! have a great cruise!

Not to quibble with your plans, but I would give some thought to HAL's refusal to accommodate this schedule. The Rome airport is a long way from the port. I am wondering how long the car service thinks this will take. I hope everything goes really smoothly! have a great cruise!

I am SO with Silver to Gold on this. Assuming the ship is cleared and you can get off in time, you could still get caught in rush hour traffic. It's a fair ways to the Rome airport. If this is the only flight available, I would stay overnight in Rome, enjoy a relaxing day and fly out the next day. JMO though. (And yes, we have flown into and out of Rome).

Thanks for the warning, I guess we'll see if we're successful.

We discussed our plans with our TA and since HAL was prepared to provide a shuttle if the flight left at 11:30 I think we can make up the 10 minutes difference by making our own arrangements. It's 65 km from port to airport and one does not need to go through Rome.

Worst case scenario and I'm wrong then we'll get to spend that extra night in Rome. :)

We discussed our plans with our TA and since HAL was prepared to provide a shuttle if the flight left at 11:30 I think we can make up the 10 minutes difference by making our own arrangements. It's 65 km from port to airport and one does not need to go through Rome.

Worst case scenario and I'm wrong then we'll get to spend that extra night in Rome. :)

My caveat - just because HAL provides a transfer is no guarantee you get on a flight. Their transfer is just to get you there - they make no guarantees ;)

I am well aware of the road from Civi to the airport and the fact it does not go through Rome. It still can have serious rush hour traffic and serious accidents that can tie things up for a long time. We were advised not to risk it by our private drivers on more than one occasion. It will probably all work out,but I am not a risk taker and don't like stress ;)

Where did Rome come into this? OP is docking in Amsterdam.

TVNews' post, I think. The OP started two identical threads and I replied to them on that other duplicate thread as did Silver to Gold I believe.

Edited by kazu

It's always nice to have "that extra night in Rome"; but at what cost for re-booking after missing a flight? And what guarantee of available seats at acceptable fare the next day?

If everything goes right and you are off the ship and in the car at 7:30, you will be lucky if there is no traffic or other delays to make that

65 km drive take longer than the minimum reasonably anticipated hour.

Then you will arrive at the airport 2 hours 50 minutes before flight leaves - rather than the recommended 3 hours. Any security delay will eat up a lot of that time - and you know, of course, that if you are not on the plane 15 minutes before departure, your seat can be given to a standby.

Of course, you will probably make it --- and many successful posters will discuss their easy trips to the airport, but, as a betting man, I think the cost of not making a flight like that is sufficient to seriously look at the odds.

I will happily bet a dollar or two on 50-50 odds - but before I'd stake a thousand or so (plus headaches) - which is what you are talking about, I would want something a lot closer to a sure thing--

Which dock are you arriving at in Amsterdam, one is much closer than the other.

How are you transferring from ship to airport? I hope by private car for best expediency.

You will certainly have to be able to self-disembark at the absolute earliest time, with your luggage under your control.

Make absolutely certain that you are within the airlines limits for baggage weight and your carry-ons are within their dimensions and weight, which can b very restrictive on European airlines compared to US airlines.... so make certain you will not have any time-consuming issues to resolve.

Bottom line - I wouldn't do it. I'd take a day or two in fabulous Amsterdam. m--

I wouldn't want to be stressed making such an early flight.

No matter whether we fly international or domestic, we always stay over a day and then go to the airport with enough time to check bags, get through security, etc.

Many airlines are now recommending 3 hours for international flights.

Ipoder, you are asking likely because you are concerned. If you are concerned, then don't do it. No need worrying the whole trip about your return!

Personally, I think you are okay provided you can do self-disembarkation. We were at Schipol before 9:00 after disembarking from Prinsendam at the much-maligned Ijmuiden port.

On an early Sunday morning I can't imagine a taxi or prearranged car service taking more than 20 minutes from the Amsterdam port to Schipol. Please note that taxi's are very costly in the Netherlands!

Enjoy your cruise!

I did this itinerary a few weeks ago. Your time frame is really pushing it, even with the earliest disembarkation.

My flight was the 1pm flight. We had the 830 ground transportation disembarkation and arrived Schipol around 10am. There was huge traffic on the freeway and the exit to the airport was at a standstill. Our bus driver opted to take a different route, but even that added 30 minutes to the trip.

Once we got to the airport, it took easily 90 minutes to navigate through all the little processes. Note: you do not hand your luggage at the counter. You must stand in line to process it yourself. This line alone was about 20 minutes. Then there is security. Then there is a SECOND line of security because you are headed to the US. Also, for my Delta flight, I was not able to check in with the app. I had to wait, stand in line, and check in at the airport.

We had time to grab a quick bite to eat, go to the bathroom and then only about 15 minutes before they started boarding the plane.

Edited by FearTheFrog

I did this itinerary a few weeks ago. Your time frame is really pushing it, even with the earliest disembarkation.

My flight was the 1pm flight. We had the 830 ground transportation disembarkation and arrived Schipol around 10am. There was huge traffic on the freeway and the exit to the airport was at a standstill. Our bus driver opted to take a different route, but even that added 30 minutes to the trip.

Once we got to the airport, it took easily 90 minutes to navigate through all the little processes. Note: you do not hand your luggage at the counter. You must stand in line to process it yourself. This line alone was about 20 minutes. Then there is security. Then there is a SECOND line of security because you are headed to the US. Also, for my Delta flight, I was not able to check in with the app. I had to wait, stand in line, and check in at the airport.

This is similar to my parents experience at Schipol a few weeks ago. They got to the airport almost 3 hours ahead of time, but said check-in was "slow to the point of painful." The real time problem, however, was security. I don't know what kind of lines were involved, but they had to produce their passports and have them checked 6 times before they got to the gate. When they got there, the doors had just been closed.

They were told that Delta and another U.S. airline flying out of Schipol (can't remember which one) are on high level alert and passengers should expect delays at the airport.

Also look at maybe going business class. I believe this flight you are taking is to London as we have it booked three weeks later. That should help bypass a lot of lines too. I think with self assist you are ok with a private car at 730. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Won't someone give the OP the requested information about Amsterdam, please?

um, I did.

I even stated that I got off the Norway itinerary and took the ground transportation to Schipol. To answer the question, based on our experience it is cutting it too close. The airport takes a long time to pass through all the passport/luggage/security points to get to the gate.

Edited by FearTheFrog

Won't someone give the OP the requested information about Amsterdam, please?

I already DID on the OP's OTHER THREAD that is identical to this one as I stated previously.

Duplicate threads get different responses and when you have already answered on one, you don't tend to do it on the second.

As I said previously on the OTHER THREAD, I wouldn't do it but each to their own.

Edited to say- I think the two threads have been finally merged so you now you can see lots of responses - you may need to read back ;)

Edited by kazu