11:40 Flight Too Early?

ipoder

Which dock are you arriving at in Amsterdam, one is much closer than the other.

How are you transferring from ship to airport? I hope by private car for best expediency.

You will certainly have to be able to self-disembark at the absolute earliest time, with your luggage under your control.

Make absolutely certain that you are within the airlines limits for baggage weight and your carry-ons are within their dimensions and weight, which can b very restrictive on European airlines compared to US airlines.... so make certain you will not have any time-consuming issues to resolve.

Bottom line - I wouldn't do it. I'd take a day or two in fabulous Amsterdam. m--

Won't someone give the OP the requested information about Amsterdam, please?

Suggest you look at the last 7 posts. (14 to 20). ;)All of them are discussing Amsterdam!

I had a similar situation out of Venice. After some great advice on these boards, I decided to pay the change fee, and lower my stress level. And it was a good thing because there was a rotating airline strike that affected earlier flights. There are always unknowns.

I also have seen way too many people not allow enough time between flights in Heathrow and then they are in a panic. There is so much congestion there, sometimes flights cannot take off from other European cities or need to circle.

So allow at least three hours and enjoy a day in Amsterdam or wherever your travels take you.

Edited by bennybear

I am looking at a flight post cruise that leaves Schipol Airport Amsterdam at 11:40 a.m. for the U.S. Does this seem like a reasonable departure time? The Koningsdam gets into Amsterdam on Sunday, July 2 after a Norwegian Fjord cruise.

I am from Holland, you should have no problems, get priority disembarkation and grab a taxi, sunday morning, no traffic, you'll be off the ship no later than 8:30am and 45 minutes to Schiphol you'll be ok.

I am from Holland, you should have no problems, get priority disembarkation and grab a taxi, sunday morning, no traffic, you'll be off the ship no later than 8:30am and 45 minutes to Schiphol you'll be ok.

45 min port to Schiphol on a Sun morning? More like 30 min! ;) Remember, you're from s'Gravenshage and I'm from Amsterdam :p

How much before flight time is it recommended that international travelers arrive at Schipol? 45 minutes from 8:30 is 9:15 --- 2 hours and 5 minutes before OP's flight.

"You'll be ok" is so comforting.

We will also be debarking Amsterdam in May and our flight is at 2:55pm. We'd rather have a leisurely departure with no worries about delays, traffic and the possibility of the ship arriving later than expected.

For international flights in/out of Canada, you are requested to arrive a minimum of 3 hours prior to flight.

I am looking at a flight post cruise that leaves Schipol Airport Amsterdam at 11:40 a.m. for the U.S. Does this seem like a reasonable departure time? The Koningsdam gets into Amsterdam on Sunday, July 2 after a Norwegian Fjord cruise.

Here is another thing to think about. Even though you might and I emphasize might make it most of the time, think of all the terrorism events that have recently occurred in Europe. If one occurs around the time that you are flying out of Amsterdam anywhere in Europe, they will up the security levels in Schipol which will cause delays. I would rather plan for a later flight and relax at the airport and read a book as opposed to stressing out as to whether I will make my flight.

Just my opinion.

DON

Here is another thing to think about. Even though you might and I emphasize might make it most of the time, think of all the terrorism events that have recently occurred in Europe. If one occurs around the time that you are flying out of Amsterdam anywhere in Europe, they will up the security levels in Schipol which will cause delays. I would rather plan for a later flight and relax at the airport and read a book as opposed to stressing out as to whether I will make my flight.

Just my opinion.

DON

Yes, but a poster who states he is from Holland assures us that: "...you should have no problems...", "...you'll be off the ship no later than 8:30...", and "...45 minutes to Schipol you'll be ok..."; while another poster advises that he "...disembarked a different cruise line last week and was at the airport at 8:15."

With these ironclad assurances from (what I am sure are) utterly reliable sources, why worry - why pay attention to the recommendations of airlines and airport managers when these anonymous posters who have very little at stake tell you not to be concerned about the massive inconvenience and significant costs to be incurred if something, no matter how unlikely, went wrong with:

A) Debarkation, B) Local customs or immigration process, C) Arranged transportation pick up, D) Traffic flow to airport or E) Security at the airport?

Don't worry: "you'll be ok" - I can assure you - I read it right here on Cruise Critic.

I would not book a flight this early but I'm not a risk taker. The op seems to be ok with it. I don't understand why some posters seem to get so upset with a contrary opinion to the one they have expressed. Let the chips fall where they may.

OP came asking advice (too early?). So, they are getting advice.

They are doing a Transatlantic flight which is not the same as flying out of FLL ;) Rules are very different. And changing constantly. Conde Nast Ombudsman just dealt with a couple who were refused their flight because they were only 2 and 1/4 hours before flight time. 'Nuff said.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on an 11:40 departure from Schipol after my Norway cruise. We decided to stay the night near the airport and ended up with great fares on the airline we wanted (mileage program). No need to end a relaxing cruise experience with a frantic airport experience!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on an 11:40 departure from Schipol after my Norway cruise. We decided to stay the night near the airport and ended up with great fares on the airline we wanted (mileage program). No need to end a relaxing cruise experience with a frantic airport experience!

I think you are very smart :). And can enjoy a bit of your day :)

Enjoy :)

Very wise decision. Now, enjoy your cruise!

Good for you! Schiphol (literally "ship's hole" aka hiding place for ships) airport has very fast and reliable train service to Amsterdam-Centraal (station) which will put you smack in the middle of downtown Amsterdam. Consider taking a canal boat tour at night which will give you a lot of history of my city of birth

Good for you! Schiphol (literally "ship's hole" aka hiding place for ships) airport has very fast and reliable train service to Amsterdam-Centraal (station) which will put you smack in the middle of downtown Amsterdam. Consider taking a canal boat tour at night which will give you a lot of history of my city of birth

Great advice - not only does OP have leisurely, stress free debarkation, he has opportunity for a terrific last "port of call".

OP came asking advice (too early?). So, they are getting advice.

They are doing a Transatlantic flight which is not the same as flying out of FLL ;) Rules are very different. And changing constantly. Conde Nast Ombudsman just dealt with a couple who were refused their flight because they were only 2 and 1/4 hours before flight time. 'Nuff said.

Yes, I understand that. I don't think anyone was confused about where they are flying from except you in an earlier post ;). I'm happy the op decided to stay on.

Exactly what we did! Great fun in a fabulous city!

I do hope John's description is up to date and there is no repair work being done on the tracks, as when we landed in Amsterdam and had to take local trains with a transfer into Centraal station, 90minutes. But if the express is running, perfect! And the canal boats were so informative, relaxing and comfortable, especially with the nights at night! Love Amsterdam! m--

I can think of no worse way to finish my relaxing cruise vacation that I spent thousands of dollars on than to undo all of that relaxation by biting my nails rushing to get off the ship, worrying about traffic, airport delays, etc. We always book late afternoon/evening flights or spent a night and gone the next day. Also, depending on the airport security can be horrific for early afternoon flights at the airport (FLL anyone?). We have always been glad to have extra time despite the long waits sometimes and have made good use of shore excursions combined with an airport transfer for an evening flight. Great way to get an extra day out of your vacation!

It sounds like a great idea to stay the night in Amsterdam and relax. Our trip on the Koningsdam in July ended up disembarking in Rotterdam rather than Amsterdam because high winds at Ijmuiden made it impossible to go through the lock there. We had planned an overnight in Amsterdam just in case we were late arriving. It paid off because we weren't the least bit worried about the time spent on the bus getting from Rotterdam to Amsterdam.

Best regards,

Priscilla