How would you spend $800 OBC?

oceaniacruiserri

This trip for us it won't be that difficult since gratuities aren't included and we plan to buy a premium drink package for the last 2-3 days, won't be much left but I thought it would be fun to hear some suggestions. Ideas?

We don't want to do shore excursions (Carribean) but just want to enjoy the ship and wonderful food. We aren't gamblers either.

This is our 2nd O cruise. Want to avoid some of the stress and hassle of land travel:)

This trip for us it won't be that difficult since gratuities aren't included and we plan to buy a premium drink package for the last 2-3 days, won't be much left but I thought it would be fun to hear some suggestions. Ideas?

On our Baltic cruise, I bought a sterling and amber pendant with our OBC. I had spent some time shopping for a pendant during our port calls, but the number of shops selling amber and the overflowing displays in each shop made my eyes glaze over.

On an at-sea day, there was a show of amber jewelry and I found something that really appealed. The price was higher than my remaining OBC, but, when the OBC was subtracted from the total, the remainder fit my budget exactly. No buyers remorse. I continue to love and wear this piece of jewelry.

Incidentally, we frittered away about $300 in OBC by going to the infirmary. My husband came down with bronchitis on the trip and couldn't find the RX he had filled and brought with him for the trip. After we got home, he found the RX.

This trip for us it won't be that difficult since gratuities aren't included :)

for the whole cruise prem drinks and the gratuities.... those will be the most productive and best use of your $$$$

Seems to be conflicting information here - can OBC be used to pay gratuities?

Seems to be conflicting information here - can OBC be used to pay gratuities?

Yes the daily gratuities added to your account but not for extra gratuities to the individual staff

Unless you have a refundable OBC then you can do what you wish

Yes the daily gratuities added to your account but not for extra gratuities to the individual staff

Unless you have a refundable OBC then you can do what you wish

Thanks for the quick response. My TA indicates I have a $1,000 OBC; anyway I can verify this with Oceania before I sail?

Thanks for the quick response. My TA indicates I have a $1,000 OBC; anyway I can verify this with Oceania before I sail?

Yes it should be noted on your invoice or ask your TA

If not when you board there will be cards in the cabin with the OBC or any other perks you are getting

Do you have O Life Choice perks ? If you chose the OBC then it in non refundable so use it or lose it

Enjoy the cruise

Edited by LHT28

Purchase currency at reception?

With an OBC ...NO

with cash or credit card ...maybe depending on the currency

there maybe a fee to do so in addition to the exchange rate

better to get it from an ATM onshore or before you leave home

I see that you are on both threads. I was asking if the original poster had considered this. I wouldn't count on reception for cash but in this case it was handy for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is unlikely you can use a Non refundable OBC for getting cash USD or otherwise

We upgraded our drinks package and bought some Christmas gifts in the shops.

Apart from some wines, and paid for corkage for wines we brought on board and consumed in the restaurants, we spent the rest in the boutique. It was

hard to find anything which seemed good value and not too overpriced.

Eventually, we bought two well-cut Brookes jackets from the Boutique, about $240 each (yesterday on the Riviera). They were reasonably priced for their quality.

We avoided going for their shirts (about $85?) or sun-hats/caps because they seemed rather overpriced.

We wish the boutique has some CDs which we could buy as they would be easy to carry when we fly home. They also only have a very small choice of books for sale - they only cookbook they seem to have is one from (surprise, surprise) Jacques Pepin!

Apart from some wines, and paid for corkage for wines we brought on board and consumed in the restaurants, we spent the rest in the boutique. It was

hard to find anything which seemed good value and not too overpriced.

Eventually, we bought two well-cut Brookes jackets from the Boutique, about $240 each (yesterday on the Riviera). They were reasonably priced for their quality.

We avoided going for their shirts (about $85?) or sun-hats/caps because they seemed rather overpriced.

We wish the boutique has some CDs which we could buy as they would be easy to carry when we fly home. They also only have a very small choice of books for sale - they only cookbook they seem to have is one from (surprise, surprise) Jacques Pepin!

Sorry but we forgot to mention earlier that a good part of the OBC was used for 'standard' gratuities.

What is included in "Standard Gratuities"?

the daily gratuity covers wait staff & housekeeping

I think Butlers if you have one... the daily gratuity is higher for those cabins

Drinks will have 18% added to each purchase unless you have a beverage package it is included in the daily price for those

Edited by LHT28

I always used to get great t-shirts and the like from the shop. But it's been a long time since they had the nice t-shirts I remember. These days I make my own at Cafe Press using my own photos. They are more expensive ($29 versus $10) but they are MINE.

I always liked the $10 watch sale, but that seems to have disappeared as well.

Maybe next time we have a lot of OBC still in the bank I'll hit the fancy shops, but I'm not a jewelry person and I'm not wild about Lalique ...

You can only buy so much aspirin or mouth wash!

As someone said not long ago, it would be nice if there were more large sizes in the boutique, but it's not a large space and so I can see why they concentrate on the smaller sizes.

On our last cruise we had $500 refundable OBC and they gave us the cash at the end of the cruise. I think for our next cruise it's all non-refundable. We shall see.

Mura

On our cruise 4-10-17 we have a substantial obc from O, as well as more from our TA. Our gratuities are covered under O Choice, so I guess we will be spending more in the spa, and more on adult beverages (someone has to do it!). Too bad we can't use left over non-refundable for direct addl grats to butler and others serving us. But you can be sure - we will not leave any on the table, except of course that from our TA that we don't use ourselves on board.