2 new carnival ships on 2020 2022

Jdfireman

TWO NEW 180,000-TON SHIPS FOR CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE WILL BE LARGEST EVER BUILT FOR THE COMPANY AND FIRST IN NORTH AMERICA TO BE POWERED BY LIQUEFIED NATURAL GAS

Agreement with Shipbuilder Meyer Turku Marks Return to Shipbuilding in Finland

For World’s Most Popular Cruise Line

MIAMI (September 6, 2016) – As part of a new multi-ship order announced today by Carnival Corporation & plc, Carnival Cruise Line is scheduled to take delivery of two new 180,000 gross-registered-ton cruise ships in 2020 and 2022 which will be the largest in the fleet of the world’s most popular cruise line. Both ships will be powered by Liquefied Natural Gas under Carnival Corp.’s exclusive “green cruising” design and will mark the first time an LNG-powered cruise ship is based in North America.

The two ships, with an approximate passenger capacity of 5,200 based on double occupancy, are being constructed by Finnish shipbuilder Meyer Turku at the company’s Turku, Finland shipyard. The agreement represents a return to shipbuilding in Finland for Carnival Cruise Line for the first time in 12 years. The company has 12 ships in its current fleet that were constructed in Finland, including its eight Fantasy-class ships and four Spirit-class ships.

“This new ship order signifies an extraordinarily exciting future for Carnival Cruise Line and the opportunities that lie ahead to introduce a variety of magnificent new features and innovations to further enhance our outstanding guest experience,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line. “We are also thrilled to be introducing Carnival Corporation’s ‘green cruising’ design platform to North America. Both of these ships will be fully powered at sea and in port by Liquefied Natural Gas, which is the world’s cleanest burning fossil fuel. These ships are being designed for maximum energy efficiency and environmental friendliness,” Duffy added.

Specific design details and itinerary information for the new ships will be announced at a later time.

Just seen the news.

Thats our Med cruises sorted for the next few years.

We are on the Vista next week, Horizon in 2018 then look forward to the two new ships after that. just hope they can introduce some more new ports, and hopefully revisit Turkey subject to security issues.

The two ships, with an approximate passenger capacity of 5,200 based on double occupancy

why o why is Carnival trying to compete with Royal Carribean building bigger and bigger ships?.its like being on a floating mall instead of a floating hotel. and then they are issues with docking a big ship that size

As a Finn, I was very happy with this news :) I am looking forward to cruising these ships one day.

Royal Caribbean has thus far been an important customer for the Turku shipyards (when the shipyard was under STX). I have been lucky to see e.g. Oasis of the Seas at the docks when it was built in Turku. I'm glad to see Carnival as a customer to Meyer Turku. Perhaps I shall go and see the new ships at the docks when the time comes :) Anyway, these guys at Turku know their business, the ships will be glorious!

Great news!

Edited by thetomi

As a Finn, I was very happy with this news :) I am looking forward to cruising these ships one day.

Royal Caribbean has thus far been an important customer for the Turku shipyards (when the shipyard was under STX). I have been lucky to see e.g. Oasis of the Seas at the docks when it was built in Turku. I'm glad to see Carnival as a customer to Meyer Turku. Perhaps I shall go and see the new ships at the docks when the time comes :) Anyway, these guys at Turku know their business, the ships will be glorious!

Great news!

I agree - love the Legend and Miracle both built in Finland. They have stood the test of time for sure. You should be proud and forget what the miseries will say on these boards, these will be awesome ships.

why o why is Carnival trying to compete with Royal Carribean building bigger and bigger ships?.its like being on a floating mall instead of a floating hotel. and then they are issues with docking a big ship that size

More of a floating resort than a ship. More sea days, fewer ports, more revenue on board.

As guest I agree that I LOVE the smaller ships; as a stockholder this is the best decision they have made in a long time.

With the larger ships you can carry more people for less money per person. Since we all know they are not making any money on the cruise fare side of things, why would they want to pay more than they have to for the transport side of it.

(my comments as also posted on the other thread)

very cool, this is exciting news. i can't wait to see what they make out of a 180,000 ton ship for CCL.

also interesting to see CCL move away from fincantieri, which has built all the recent new ships.

-----

here's an article from back in june when they were discussing the orders, with 2 for aida confirmed (at that time - which appear to have been shifted back in queue):

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12701-carnival-next-gen-ship-details-lng-180000-tons-2-for-aida.html

Based on Carnival Corporation’s innovative new ship design, each of the four next-generation ships will have a total capacity of 6,600 guests, feature more than 5,000 lower berths, exceed 180,000 gross tons and incorporate an extensive number of guest-friendly features. A major part of the innovative design involves making much more efficient use of the ship's spaces, creating an enhanced onboard experience for guests, said Carnival.

i guess we're looking at about 6,600 pax. i really am interested to see how they design that.

On Allure of the Seas, which is 225,000 tons, we sailed with 6,200 passengers, way too many for our taste. I wouldn't dream of sailing with 6,600 on a ship that is 45,000 gt smaller. I can only imagine the overcrowding and rude behavior on that floating mess. We'll just stick to mid-size ships and enjoy a little more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about we start building ships here in the USA, rather than Europe. If its not possible then we need to make it possible.

Michael

The last time an American shipbuilder attempted to build a major cruise liner, it was a disaster. I don't blame Carnival for buying their ships in Europe.

I personally would have preferred Carnival expand the Spirit class to serve as a replacement for the Fantasy class. The oldest of the Fantasy class will be 30 years old by the time these ships are launched, with no real replacement for the smaller ports that can only accommodate a smaller vessel. However, these new ships are definitely welcome and obviously a play against RCI and NCL with their new mega ships. The Vista is almost small compared to the largest RCI ships.

On Allure of the Seas, which is 225,000 tons, we sailed with 6,200 passengers, way too many for our taste. I wouldn't dream of sailing with 6,600 on a ship that is 45,000 gt smaller. I can only imagine the overcrowding and rude behavior on that floating mess. We'll just stick to mid-size ships and enjoy a little more room.

The new ships will carry 5,200 at double occupancy, not 6,600.

The new ships will carry 5,200 at double occupancy, not 6,600.

Based on the story which is linked above, it states that it will have a capacity of 6,600. Just quoting the story. Either way it is way too many.

Edited by cruisinpips

IMO, these ships are getting too big. And while I don't know where these ships will be homeported or what their itineraries may be, and while many cruise stops rely on tourism, there is also a lot of negative impact when you throw 5 or 6 thousand extra people into smaller ports.

As an example, a cruise ship carrying 6000 people is about 10% of the entire population of Bermuda, St. Thomas, and many others.

IMO, these ships are getting too big. And while I don't know where these ships will be homeported or what their itineraries may be, and while many cruise stops rely on tourism, there is also a lot of negative impact when you throw 5 or 6 thousand extra people into smaller ports.

As an example, a cruise ship carrying 6000 people is about 10% of the entire population of Bermuda, St. Thomas, and many others.

Carnival is just catering to what a lot of people like....how many times do you the poster on these boards say something like "Well I only cruise the newer, bigger ships"....I don't get that mindset, as how a ship with 5000 people is somehow "better" than a ship with 3000, but apparently some people like new and big

Edited by First and Ten

Carnival is just catering to what a lot of people like....how many times do you the poster on these boards say something like "Well I only cruise the newer, bigger ships"....I don't get that mindset, as how a ship with 5000 people is somehow "better" than a ship with 3000, but apparently some people like new and big

Oasis was our favorite cruise (of 26) More people = more entertainment and dining options (if it's done right).

Its not so much that more people want bigger ships, its that the economy of scale is there. The incremental increase in steel for the hull and power to push the bigger ship, and power more cabins is so much less than building a smaller ship. In other words one 6600 pax ship costs less to build and operate than two 3300 pax ships.

Given the reduced size in comparison to Oasis, and the challenges of using LNG fuel "fully at sea", I think these ships will have a very low passenger space ratio, and will be crowded. LNG requires 6 times the volume of residual fuel oil for the same energy, and LNG tanks cannot be on the bottom or sides of the ship, but must be in the central 60% of the ship (side to side), which is prime real estate in the machinery spaces.

Its not so much that more people want bigger ships, its that the economy of scale is there. The incremental increase in steel for the hull and power to push the bigger ship, and power more cabins is so much less than building a smaller ship. In other words one 6600 pax ship costs less to build and operate than two 3300 pax ships.

Given the reduced size in comparison to Oasis, and the challenges of using LNG fuel "fully at sea", I think these ships will have a very low passenger space ratio, and will be crowded. LNG requires 6 times the volume of residual fuel oil for the same energy, and LNG tanks cannot be on the bottom or sides of the ship, but must be in the central 60% of the ship (side to side), which is prime real estate in the machinery spaces.

Interesting, so what is the driver to make them LNG?

Sent from my iPad using Forums