What the hell, MSC??

dst87

I just had a call telling me that MSC have decided that the stateroom we booked for our forthcoming cruise (15002) is no longer available, and asking me to select an alternative (15027 or 16028).

What the hell? I didn't book a GTY. I booked a specific cabin, and I booked it for specific features that others don't have (extra width, and a more spacious feel). MSC have decided that this stateroom will be allocated to the overlapping Hamburg - Hamburg cruise, rather than the Southampton - Southampton cruise that we're book on.

I really want an answer from MSC as to why on earth they didn't decide this before I booked, and why they haven't automatically offered some sort of compensation or 'good will gesture' (I hate that term). Totally unacceptable, and something I've yet to experience with any other cruise line.

I shall await an update from the TA, but safe to say that I'm pretty seething right now.

That is such a bummer!! :(

I cannot understand MSC's policy regarding booking cabins. I'm interested in a B3 on a particular sailing October 2017 and was prepared to book it onboard Sinfonia last week. But the only B3 available was the worst one despite the spiel about future booking onboard stating: "BOOK EARLY: Choose from the best selection of staterooms and suites." The VC rep reckons it has to do with an agreement MSC has with TAs to not be unfavourably competitve with them! :confused: I'm now in my "never booking with MSC again" mood as a result! :mad:

I just did a dummy booking online, and there is only one stateroom left - 16028. I wonder what would have happened if both of the alternative staterooms had been booked in the last couple of days. It seems YC is now fully booked.

I have to say....this would be freaking me out.

Not much to freak out about really. I have a stateroom, and it's the same grade. Plus it turns out that changing staterooms is within the booking conditions, so there's not a whole lot I can do.

I'll still have an awesome cruise. It's just surprising that MSC operate like this in a way that's so dissimilar to other cruise lines.

I suppose other cruise lines don't do the bus stop routine where they let people on/off at multiple ports of call. This is fundamentally another symptom of that model.

Nail on the head, there, Duncan. You've got the right approach to it, anyway. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time - YC is a terrific experience.

Thanks! I can't wait... 15 days until we board :D

MSC does play a shell game with cabins. I was booked in a larger square YC cabin recently only to get bumped. I was furious. No one could or would explain why. I finally got an answer while on board. It seems when the YC is not full they upgrade perspective customers to the larger YC cabins from the cabins they had from the other experiences. They do it to see if they can get more YC customers, I suppose.

I just had a call telling me that MSC have decided that the stateroom we booked for our forthcoming cruise (15002) is no longer available, and asking me to select an alternative (15027 or 16028).

What the hell? I didn't book a GTY. I booked a specific cabin, and I booked it for specific features that others don't have (extra width, and a more spacious feel). MSC have decided that this stateroom will be allocated to the overlapping Hamburg - Hamburg cruise, rather than the Southampton - Southampton cruise that we're book on.

I really want an answer from MSC as to why on earth they didn't decide this before I booked, and why they haven't automatically offered some sort of compensation or 'good will gesture' (I hate that term). Totally unacceptable, and something I've yet to experience with any other cruise line.

I shall await an update from the TA, but safe to say that I'm pretty seething right now.

Hi Duncan

15002 is one of the few YC cabins which can accommodate 3rd and 4th passengers so I suspect that you have been moved to make way for a family of 3 or 4. and they wouldn't have been aware of that need at the time you booked.

Clause 14.1 of the booking T&Cs is their get out as they reserve the right to change the arrangements for operational, commercial or safety reasons.

I suspect that you were moved as you are a first timer with MSC and others are repeat cruisers.

Don't forget you have had a fantastic gesture already in that you were given BLACK card status without having to earn it the hard way, unlike some of us have, and you get some very nice perks from that. No other cruise line has anything similar, so count your blessings on that score.

Pete

Hi Duncan

15002 is one of the few YC cabins which can accommodate 3rd and 4th passengers so I suspect that you have been moved to make way for a family of 3 or 4. and they wouldn't have been aware of that need at the time you booked.

Clause 14.1 of the booking T&Cs is their get out as they reserve the right to change the arrangements for operational, commercial or safety reasons.

I suspect that you were moved as you are a first timer with MSC and others are repeat cruisers.

Don't forget you have had a fantastic gesture already in that you were given BLACK card status without having to earn it the hard way, unlike some of us have, and you get some very nice perks from that. No other cruise line has anything similar, so count your blessings on that score.

Pete

I don't have black status at all - I have Silver. It'll be a while before I get to Black status. In any case, the status match is irrelevant to this complaint. That is something MSC offer to all customers and surely cannot be seen as a gesture or apology for kicking me out of the stateroom I booked.

As far as I'm concerned, the policy is a poor one. There's no point in having customers choose a stateroom if that isn't guaranteed. If I wanted to gamble, I'd book a cheaper GTY fare. MSC should be much more upfront about this as it will only lead to passengers being disappointed before even boarding.

I have been told by the travel agent that MSC informed him that stateroom 15002 has been allocated for the Hamburg to Hamburg sailing, not that I've been ejected to make way for someone else. This is poor planning on MSCs part.

Now I accept that it's in the T&C, and I will enjoy my rebound stateroom just fine (as will I enjoy the cruise on the whole) but the idea that you can defend the policy is mindblowing to me. Your whole post comes across as gloating at my misfortune, and bitter about my (fairly minor) status match.

I don't have black status at all - I have Silver. It'll be a while before I get to Black status. In any case, the status match is irrelevant to this complaint. That is something MSC offer to all customers and surely cannot be seen as a gesture or apology for kicking me out of the stateroom I booked.

As far as I'm concerned, the policy is a poor one. There's no point in having customers choose a stateroom if that isn't guaranteed. If I wanted to gamble, I'd book a cheaper GTY fare. MSC should be much more upfront about this as it will only lead to passengers being disappointed before even boarding.

I have been told by the travel agent that MSC informed him that stateroom 15002 has been allocated for the Hamburg to Hamburg sailing, not that I've been ejected to make way for someone else. This is poor planning on MSCs part.

Now I accept that it's in the T&C, and I will enjoy my rebound stateroom just fine (as will I enjoy the cruise on the whole) but the idea that you can defend the policy is mindblowing to me. Your whole post comes across as gloating at my misfortune, and bitter about my (fairly minor) status match.

I'm sorry if you believe I'm gloating (I'm not I assure you) when in fact I'm just stating the facts and some suppositions based on my knowledge of MSC and their T&Cs.

I'm not defending their policy just stating what it is.

Sorry for getting your status wrong but I honestly thought you had got BLACK

And yes I am well peeved about the status match and the major reduction in benefits to enable it to be given out to all and sundry, even people who have never stepped on a cruise ship can get it. IT took me 9 cruises , (70 nights on board plus on board spend) to get BLACK. You would be peeved in the same position.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I'm sorry if you believe I'm gloating (I'm not I assure you) when in fact I'm just stating the facts and some suppositions based on my knowledge of MSC and their T&Cs.

I'm not defending their policy just stating what it is.

And yes I am well peeved about the status match and the major reduction in benefits to enable it to be given out to all and sundry, even people who have never stepped on a cruise ship can get it. IT took me 9 cruises , (70 nights on board plus on board spend) to get BLACK. You would be peeved in the same position.

Pete

Fair enough. I do accept the fact of the case, and as mentioned I'll have a great time regardless.

I would also be peeved in your position. I looked at MSC a year or two ago and thought that the loyalty club looked very generous. Compared to other lines, not that difficult to get to Black, and the benefits were very, very good. I'd be annoyed, but even at the time, I was surprised that it was so generous. Even still, their new scheme now seems pretty stingy in comparison to other lines.

I'd be annoyed, but my annoyance would be directed at MSC, rather than people who have taken advantage of their offering.

Apologies for snapping. I've just got myself in a bad mood about this :o

EDIT: Frankly I was surprised to get Silver. I'm only on the Classic level with Celebrity, though tantalisingly close to becoming Select. Perhaps they took that into account.

Edited by dst87

I'm be disappointed as well.

Since you've booked with a TA, can't they go to bat for you and at least get you some OBC (or something) as a goodwill gesture. Many people have read your post and it would be in MSC's best interest, I would think, to have you come back and say "at least they tried to make it up to me by....."

Since you've booked with a TA, can't they go to bat for you and at least get you some OBC (or something) as a goodwill gesture. Many people have read your post and it would be in MSC's best interest, I would think, to have you come back and say "at least they tried to make it up to me by....."

They're in contact with MSC and I asked them to seek some sort of compensation or good will gesture, but as it's allowed by their T&C I can't imagine they'd be keen to do anything. Especially if I'm going to set a precedent and let people know the outcome!

You've no idea how lucky you Americans are when it comes to compensating customers!!

Having said that, my experience has always been that if I have an issue onboard, there will be some kind of gesture made. Most of the time I've received a bottle of sparkling wine with a plate of treats for the most mundane mention to Guest Services about a minor issue. I also received a model of the ship I was on as a result of highlighting a small issue I had. On my April cruise the tickets didn't show our status level so the TA had them re-issued. MSC added a package to the onboard services which provided a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries to be delivered to the cabin!

And, OMG, the lengths they went to in YC when we didn't receive a cake for our anniversary - suffice to say they went above and beyond for the rest of the cruise to make up for it!!!

I think, Duncan, you deserve some gesture from MSC for discommoding you in this way. You need to have your voice heard and MSC needs to realise that this is not acceptable practice!

Edited by Beamafar

Sorry to hear this Duncan, wish I

Could say it's the first time but unfortunately MSC has a bit of a history on the boards with switching cabins. Let's just say customer service (especially states side) is Not their strength :(. You have a great attitude and I wish you happy sails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duncan, sorry you lost your desired cabin but with your great attitude I'm sure you'll have a great cruise. However, this is making me a little nervous since we're booked for NYE cruise in an aft balcony and I don't care if they upgrade me to the YC, I want what I booked. :eek:

I hope they don't move us, but, yeah, we'll still enjoy our cruise but I love an aft cabin... NYE, dancing on our balcony, toasting the seas while listening to our own music... just celebrating life and another new year.

What could be better?

My friends booked 4 cabins in row on Princess ,they booked 8 month in advance , they had big surprise when they arrived to port and got "upgraded " cabins all over the ship :eek: They put a big fight but nothing helped :rolleyes::eek:

My friends booked 4 cabins in row on Princess ,they booked 8 month in advance , they had big surprise when they arrived to port and got "upgraded " cabins all over the ship :eek: They put a big fight but nothing helped :rolleyes::eek:

I know on Princess you're supposed to mark your reservation "NO upgrade," and that seems to work with them most of the time.

Update! I got a call from my TA saying that they couldn't switch the staterooms back (unsurprisingly) but they have given an additional £50 OBC per person (£100 total for the stateroom) bringing our total OBC up to £600!

I'd prefer the original cabin, but this is fair enough and there's no sense being upset about something you can't change.

Now counting down the days - I can't wait! :D