Do you recommend a passport?

gatur123fl

whitsel. We have passports and will never travel without one. Several years ago my husband had been to the doctor and got a go ahead to travel. Seven days into a ten day cruise he had to be air lifted from Labadee to Dominican Republic. First they cleared his passport before the chopper would take off and the they had to stop at the airport to clear customs and show his passport again. I flew to him once the cruise was completed and spend 6 days in the DR. I was so thankful that we had our passports so he could get medical care so quickly. Also glad we had travel insurance as it covered his airlift, our hotels, our flights home, my flight to him, meals for me, and the time he missed on the ship. I know this is about passports, but for the seniors that are reading this, just a reminder that medicare does not cover you outside of the United States. So everyone please check your medical coverage before you leave. Also most foreign countries do not accept your medical insurance so we had to pay everything up front except for the limit of our travel insurance.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I totally agree, if you are a senior especially with any medical issues you must get insurance and a passport.

I do have a question tho, so if there were two people with life threatening issues, one with a passport and one without, the one with the passport would get airlifted off to save his life but the other would not? I don't see that but maybe.....

I guess the point I was making, so far only 1 person out of 2000 views has had an issue where a passport helped. I'm sure there's more but I think its a very small number. So if you don't have a passport the sky may not fall.

I know, I know, its for my protection. But I could also walk around in bubble wrap my whole life too.

" icon1.gifDo you recommend a passport? "

I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas in March 2017. We don't have passports and I was wondering is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Do we really need them? Have you cruised without one? Opinions? Thanks.

Yes I do recommend a passport.

Terrific, easy form of ID, and it gives you the world.

Should something happen and you need to get home immediately...or if someone ends up in a foreign hospital and the group has to fly home from that country, you'll need a passport anyway. Might as well have it now, rather than scramble and pay extra to get it once you need it.

Pretty much all the frequent cruisers here are going to say you NEED to have a passport, and there is no way you will be able to even exist as a person unless you have one.

The reality OTOH, is that if you have your notarized birth certificates, and driver's license, for a closed loop (one that comes back to the same port as you left from) cruise, you will be fine.

There is always the 'what if' issues, but there have been reams of people who have had issues and survived without a passport.

But I will recommend the passport card. It is a total of $55 ($30 for the card and a $25 fee). It is good for 10 years, and for non-air travel, it will work perfectly.

SMH at the whole post, and then at the end...you've just wasted the OP's money. The passport CARD gives you nothing (for this cruise) that the BC and ID gives.

Might as well save that money or put that money towards the passport BOOK, which actually gives you something of value that isn't covered by the BC/ID combo.

Oh, and only up until recently have we started purchasing travel insurance, and that is more so because my in-laws are very elderly and should something happen where we have to cancel our cruise because of something happening to them, we will have that backup.

Assuming they have some already-diagnosed conditions, I hope you're getting the insurance with the pre-existing conditions waiver?

Actually since the card is laminated and is the size of a credit card, you can keep it in your wallet and not have to remember to bring your most likely fragile birth certificate with you.

I know my birth certificate was a notarized copy of a thermal copy so it is in pretty bad shape now.

Just get a new CERTIFIED copy of the BC. It should never have been a copy of the thermal itself; it's a copy of the original info in your files. You should probably order a new copy.

**actually, if yours was a copy of a copy and it was actually notarized, you'd best get an actual certified copy. A *notarized* copy means you took the original to a notary and showed your ID and they looked at it, and their notary stamp means that they established that you are you and that this copy is a copy.

CERTIFIED is what you need, and that means that a person who has *more* than just a notary stamp is certifying that the document itself is real, not just that you said it's real. Thankfully we don't have to get into "apostille" which is another level altogether.

I hope you just used the word "notarized" incorrectly; if it is just a notarized copy, you should go get a certified copy of your BC.**

I was on my third certified BC by the time I got my first passport at 25. First disintegrated in the file folder, second was used so much my freshman year of college that it got tattered, and the third made sense. Since I got the passport I haven't even touched the 3rd copy.

...let's not get melodramatic with generalizations that have never been made.

Yes.

The only people who make those generalizations are those accusing others of saying them!

We live in Ireland, can't go anywhere without a passport - living on an island in the North Atlantic is such a pain [emoji12][emoji1132]

Happy to trade ya! :) If only they would let us do that.

If your're only using it for cruising I would say at least get a passport card, it doesn't cost as much as a passport book.

It gives you nothing that the BC/ID combo gives you in terms of cruising. It's a waste of money unless you want it because it's cute.

A passport is also easier to carry (and probably easier to replace if lost or damaged) than a birth certificate (I'm just guessing on this though, since it just seems like obtaining a new birth certificate could be difficult since it's usually the document that is used to prove who you are in order to obtain other forms of ID).

Getting a new BC isn't hard at all, assuming there are no comlications like an overseas birth, complicated adoption, etc.

It's different for each state, but for me...googling "CA birth certificate"...then re-thought and put in my city (which is also the county name) where I was born.

"Accepted Payment Methods: In Person: Cash, Credit Cards (Visa and MasterCard only), Money Order, or Cashier's Check

By Mail: Money Order or Cashier's Check only"

BC will be $25. I take the form to a notary who verifies that I am me, I send it off with a check, and a few weeks later I'll get a certified copy of my BC.

Some states don't allow mail order. Many states only do it through VitalChek.

Just gotta look it up for your city/county/state of birth.

As for replacing a passport, that's easy too. But it's not a replacement. It's a whole NEW passport with new number and fee.

I do a lot of volunteer work with the homeless agencies in my area and the lack of a birth certificate causes a ton of problems for people and is really hard for them to get new ones, although there are other issues at play there (no address and no other forms of ID)

Yes, if you cannot provide the ID to show that you are you, it is difficult. But that's b/c of the other factors with the population you help, not with the process.

So OP, the answer to your question is "no" you don't need a PP to cruise North America. ...

The OP asked several different questions. I'm answering "do you recommend a passport?" :)

I know this is about passports, but for the seniors that are reading this, just a reminder that medicare does not cover you outside of the United States. So everyone please check your medical coverage before you leave. Also most foreign countries do not accept your medical insurance so we had to pay everything up front except for the limit of our travel insurance.

Correct about paying up front.

Not necessarily correct about Medicare not covering foreign care. My MIL has Schedule F Medicare that covers 80% of care in a foreign country. She pays big bucks for this. (and actually she has stated she's never leaving the country again so maybe we can bump it down)

Definitely check to see what you have. :)

(BTW, those who are asking if this is a US citizen or not- the act of just asking the question answers that)

Yep! :p

Why is it useless? You can travel with it in the Caribbean. You can drive to Mexico and Canada with it. Sounds useful to me. In the off chance you get sick, and need to stay behind, it is still a valid ID, but you will need to get an emergency passport to travel back. But that's only a what if. Plus, how many people have passports, kept on the ship, when they leave the ship?

I use a passport card all the time!

People are recommending the OP get one *for this cruise*. THAT is useless. Or rather, it gives no other use than the BC/ID combo. It's a total waste of money for this cruise.

I can't answer for those who leave passports on the ship; I think that's a level of crazy that's beyond mine LOL. Even if the cruiselines suggest it for fear of pickpocketing.

I do have a question tho, so if there were two people with life threatening issues, one with a passport and one without, the one with the passport would get airlifted off to save his life but the other would not? I don't see that but maybe.....

I have a feeling that there is a reason that some people get helicoptered off the ship and other people get rushed to Nassau/etc by the ship.

Once in Nassau and feeling better THEN they can deal with getting to the Embassy and getting their emergency passport.

Of course, most US Embassies cannot/will not do passports on the weekends, on US holidays, or on holidays of the country they are in. (as evidenced by a recent "I left my passport on the plane" thread out of Vancouver on another board)

Those of you insisting that you CANNOT fly home on a Passport card if something happens and you have to disembark the ship in a foreign port are just not correct. In fact, you probably wont even be delayed a single day. I know this simply because a friend of mine that went on our Freedom cruise last year got into the Makers Mark a little too heavy our first day at sea and acted a fool.

Captain Ron put him off in Falmouth Jamaica after having security confine him to his cabin for a few days. He was traveling ONLY on a Passport card and flew straight to Miami from Montego Bay that SAME day. It took about 13 hours to get home in Gainesville FL but it was done. There was no "emergency" Passport issued at all.

I believe YOU.

I do NOT believe your friend.

And if by tiny chance your friend is telling you the truth, major strings were pulled and exceptions were made. I'm not going to assume the same exceptions will be made for me.

Edited by mollyeilis

Yes, to us it is. In addition to our passport books we like to have the passport cards for our government issued photo ID in ports of call. :)

Generally speaking, a passport card won't do anything for you that a drivers license would do in port. It's fine to have it in addition to a passport book, but the prior poster was implying that he'd recommend the card but not the book, and there's not much point to that line of thinking.

Just wondering how many of you who say "yes" get a passport because things may happen, you'll be stuck on an island, etc etc etc, anyway how many of you who do have a passport have had this happen? Just wondering:confused:

And please, no I know someone who's mother's sister's cousin brothers boyfriends father that missed the boat and didn't have pp

I will say myself and my family don't have pp's, we've been on 10+ cruises and ya you guessed it, no issues either. So in reality that 40+ cruises with not one issue.

Good for you! You're right- it's a small % of people who ever have to fly home mid-cruise, or miss the boat and have to fly to the next port. But it only takes once.....

As for personal stories, it hasn't happened to me. But I do know of several people personally who were in this situation, and no there are not 10 degrees of separation between me and them (i.e. mother's cousin's neighbor's boyfriend's aunt or whatever). These are people I knew personally. One was my brother-in-law who had to fly home mid-cruise for a death in the family. Another was a lady I befriended on a cruise who missed the ship and had to fly to the next port. Does it happen often? No. But does it happen? Yes. Hasn't happened to me (yet!) but I always cruise with a passport just in case.

He was traveling ONLY on a Passport card and flew straight to Miami from Montego Bay that SAME day.

Do you know the full details of what happened behind the scenes? I would imagine that at the very least there were some phone calls to the US embassy or consulate in Jamaica. If it all happened quickly and your friend flew home the same day, I'd say he was lucky but good for him. I certainly hope you aren't implying however, that anyone could walk into an airport at any time, but an international ticket, show nothing but a passport card, and walk right onto the plane without a second thought from anyone. There are plenty of reports out there that say otherwise.

On our second cruise (closed loop) in 1996, my 44 year old physically fit and very heathy husband wanted just "one more Shipshape dollar" and injured his knee in the process. We were thankful we both had passports as we were rushed to the airport to return home for the required surgery.

In a two day old thread with 80 comments, how many "it happened to me" posts do you need?

On our second cruise (closed loop) in 1996, my 44 year old physically fit and very heathy husband wanted just "one more Shipshape dollar" and injured his knee in the process. We were thankful we both had passports as we were rushed to the airport to return home for the required surgery.

In a two day old thread with 80 comments, how many "it happened to me" posts do you need?

Well before your post there was only 1 post, I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm just saying it's a very small % so no you don't need a passport to cruise to the Bahamas. That was the question, I do believe. If they are going to turn into world travelers, then of course get a passport, but that wasn't the question.

There are so many places in the world that you cannot travel to without a passport. You never know when you might want to take the exotic journey. The passport is good for ten years so it actually cost very little to have that extra insurance. The passport can also be used anytime identification is needed. I would not travel without my passport. :D

So you don't have a passport and you decide you want to cruise to an exotic place. Most people don't go on a trip of this nature at the drop of a hat.

So if you don't go at the drop of a hat that would certainly allow ample time to get a passport.

Wouldn't airfare be astronomical booking last minute?

Bill

Yes....its just easier if you have one. You never know when the rules are going to change c

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if the rules change they certainly won't change over night. When has the govt ever done anything fast?

I have had my passport since 9/11 as they said you would need a passport to cruise. 15 years later you still don't need one.

Bill

I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas in March 2017. We don't have passports and I was wondering is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Well before your post there was only 1 post, I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm just saying it's a very small % so no you don't need a passport to cruise to the Bahamas. That was the question, I do believe. If they are going to turn into world travelers, then of course get a passport, but that wasn't the question.

Actually, there were several questions from the OP.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We've done both with and without passports and have noticed less scrutiny of the passports. How much faster it gets you through TSA and Customs maybe negligible but it's convenient to show one document. For the cost over ten years, we also consider it cheap insurance for the unexpected. Happy sailing.

I certainly hope you aren't implying however, that anyone could walk into an airport at any time, but an international ticket, show nothing but a passport card, and walk right onto the plane without a second thought from anyone. There are plenty of reports out there that say otherwise.

I didnt say that nor did I imply that. :confused: I thought I made that pretty clear when i said " if something happens and you have to disembark the ship in a foreign port" :)

According to the person at Guest Services on Freedom that I spoke with, this happens all the time where people have to or are made to disembark the ship and dont have full Passports.. Yes, strings are pulled, calls are made and a letter from the ship is given to the guest to present to Customs.

I dont care who believes me or who doesnt. I was there and I have no reason at all to lie. He was disembarked from Freedom of the Seas with ONLY a Passport card around 9am that morning in Falmouth Jamaica and was home in Gainesville FL by 10pm or so that night. The one way ticket was 633.00

Edited by ryano

Y

I believe YOU.

I do NOT believe your friend.

And if by tiny chance your friend is telling you the truth, major strings were pulled and exceptions were made. I'm not going to assume the same exceptions will be made for me.

Ummm, I was there LOL. There is no tiny chance at all and he didnt have to tell me anything because I saw it all with my own eyes. This happens all the time according to the ship. I have no reason to lie or make this up. You can or cant assume whatever you want. Thats your perogative but it really happened and DOES happen pretty frequently according to FOS.

Edited by ryano

Is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Yes! Heck yes! With all of the Real ID issues with drives licenses, you could get on your plane & fly to cruise only to come home to find out that your license is no longer TSA approved. A passport will never have this issue as a passport is a federal id.

Do we really need them?

No, but....

What happens if you get injured on shore, in a car accident or need medi lift. Your birth certificate & license in a post 9/11 world will not clear you through a forien country's customs. If that's all you have & gosh forbid something should happen it could take you days, to get in touch with/the US Embassy, petition them to get a passport & get out of the county.

Have you cruised without one?

No too risk adverse. Couldn't imagine being stranded in a forien country, no thank you.

Plus I'm to lazy to research where each US Emnassy is on each island / port of call should we need it.

Opinions

It's $110 for a passport good for 10 years so the cost per year is $11 per year, if you do the passport card too $140 or $14 a year.

Personally I'd get both, you can leave your passport on the boat & take your passport card on shore & still have proof of citizenship (should you need it).

The other reason I'd get both is when I travel I use my passport card as TSA is familiar with it & leave it in hotel room, so if something happens to my wallet I still have a valid ID to get on a plane & get home.

Plus w/the uncertain situation with state drivers licenses & real Id I have a federal id & never have to worry about a star refusing to take my drivers license for air travel .

Just my $0.02

Edited by DZalumni

Is it worth it to spend the extra money?

Yes! Heck yes! With all of the Real ID issues with drives licenses, you could get on your plane & fly to cruise only to come home to find out that your license is no longer TSA approved. A passport will never have this issue as a passport is a federal id.

Do we really need them?

No, but....

What happens if you get injured on shore, in a car accident or need medi lift. Your birth certificate & license in a post 9/11 world will not clear you through a forien country's customs. If that's all you have & gosh forbid something should happen it could take you days, to get in touch with/the US Embassy, petition them to get a passport & get out of the county.

Have you cruised without one?

No too risk adverse. Couldn't imagine being stranded in a forien country, no thank you.

Plus I'm to lazy to research where each US Emnassy is on each island / port of call should we need it.

Opinions

It's $110 for a passport good for 10 years so the cost per year is $11 per year, if you do the passport card too $140 or $14 a year.

Personally I'd get both, you can leave your passport on the boat & take your passport card on shore & still have proof of citizenship (should you need it).

The other reason I'd get both is when I travel I use my passport card as TSA is familiar with it & leave it in hotel room, so if something happens to my wallet I still have a valid ID to get on a plane & get home.

Plus w/the uncertain situation with state drivers licenses & real Id I have a federal id & never have to worry about a star refusing to take my drivers license for air travel .

Just my $0.02

I'm confused about your statement that I bolded above. Are you suggesting that a person could use their driver's license to get through security at an airport going to their cruise, then upon their return, they couldn't do the same? What could possibly happen that could cause this to be the case (if I'm understanding your statement correctly)? What do you mean by "Real ID issues with drivers licenses"?

Edited by time4u2go

I'm confused about your statement that I bolded above. Are you suggesting that a person could use their driver's license to get through security at an airport going to their cruise, then upon their return, they couldn't do the same? What could possibly happen that could cause this to be the case (if I'm understanding your statement correctly)? What do you mean by "Real ID issues with drivers licenses"?

It's like the other poster earlier in the thread that said the you never know when the passport rules will be changed.

Sorry it doesn't work like that.

They don't change the rules overnight.

Bill

If you don't know about real ID you may want to check to see where your state is in compliance. Several states are set to expire on October 10, so October 9 your drivers license can be used to board a plane, October 10, no longer.

https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories

It amazes me how few people know about real ID an several,people may be shocked in Octiber when they try to board a plane. However if you have a passport, passport card, global entry of US issued federal ID you will be able to board the plane.

Happy Travels

Edited by DZalumni

If you don't know about real ID you may want to check to see where your state is in compliance. Several states are set to expire on October 10, so October 9 your drivers license can be used to board a plane, October 10, no longer.

It amazes me how few people know about real ID an several,people may be shocked in Octiber when they try to board a plane. However if you have a passport, passport card, global entry of US issued federal ID you will be able to board the plane.

Happy Travels

Nothing will happen this October. The date a real ID compliant iD is required has been extended. The first date to worry about is January 22, 2018. Don't be surprised if it is extended again.

Edited by Charles4515

Nothing will happen this October. The date a real ID compliant iD is required has been extended. The first date to worry about is January 22, 2018. Don't be surprised if it is extended again.

Not a bit surprised. My niece who lives in NJ is cruising with us in November and got her passport because NJ was non compliant.

Bill

Happy Travels

Holy c#%p! I'm from TX with a TX DL, I fly all the time, never heard of this and there's a good chance I'll be on the road when this takes effect. Good thing I always have my PP with me in case I have to fly international.

You'd think there would be signs up at the airport, that the airlines would have it all over their websites, or something since this is less than a month off.

Edited by nealstuber

Since the topic of the thread is "Recommend" - YES. If the topic was "Need" - No. If something happened the headaches of not having it would be far greater than the cost of the passport.

Originally Posted by gatur123fl View Post

Topic was "recommended" but the question was "need"

So no you don't need one but many people recommend them.

Originally Posted by gatur123fl View Post

Topic was "recommended" but the question was "need"

So no you don't need one but many people recommend them.

As do most TAs and Cruiselines.

I guess you would be amazed by my husband and I. He has cruised almost 20 times and I have cruised about 8 times and I have never had any issues ever with not having my passport. I know that whenever I get around to doing a mediterranean cruise that we will have to break down and get a passport, but until then we fell very confident in cruising with our documents that are needed (BC and DL). We have cruised multiple times with the cruiselines that we sail on, and since they see that history with us, it's never ever been an issue. Since we don't do any international travel, we just don't feel the need to go through the passport process.

Oh, and only up until recently have we started purchasing travel insurance, and that is more so because my in-laws are very elderly and should something happen where we have to cancel our cruise because of something happening to them, we will have that backup. Otherwise we probably wouldn't even bother with that either. Shocking...I know! :D

It's stupid not to have one... Same with travel insurance. Just wait until something happens and you have to see the doctor on the ship. If you don't travel insurance you will be paying out of pocket.

YES will not leave home without one.