Can you be moved due to "occupancy rules" on Carnival?

CharlaneOT

Hi all!

We just called Carnival to move us to a Hump balcony room, it was a lateral price move, which was great for us. But the customer service person said for us to be prepared to be moved if they have a need for a 3 occupant room, as we are only 2 in a room. I've never heard of this. Our original room was a 3 occupant room, and we weren't advised of anything like this. She even made it a point to say that she was notating it on our reservation that she advised us of the move potential, and she said she'd recommend not moving at all, even though our original reservation was a 3 person room.

What's the deal?

We got the same speech when we cancelled a person and dropped from 4 to 3 people in a room that held 5 max. He even "looked around" to see if there was a room he should move us to immediately, but ultimately left us where we were with the warning that we could be moved in the future if they needed our room. Nothing ever changed, and I assumed it was a piece of fine print they're required to cover just in case.

Amazing what you can find in the cruise contract.

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which the stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

Carnival can (and has) substituted a different ship for the one you book on. All cruise lines can.

Amazing what you can find in the cruise contract.

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which the stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

Carnival can (and has) substituted a different ship for the one you book on. All cruise lines can.

Yup. Amazing what you learn when you read the contract you accept when booking.

While I usually book thru a PVP, I often do mock bookings to price cruises. I always get a "warning" that should the number of people change I would be subject to a room change.

When on the phone, I have been told more than once " I can't put the two of you in that room, it holds 3 (or 4 or 5).

Yes, you can be moved.

On our upcoming Sunshine cruise friends of ours had the third person cancel the day before final payment.

They have not been moved yet as there is not a balcony cabin for 2 available but they were advised they will be moved if one becomes open and the three person cabin is needed.

Doesn't bother them either way but I can see Carnival filling every possible berth.

And there is that pesky contract. :p

Agreed but normally you would be moved to a higher level cabin

They have to move you to an equal category or higher. So if the reason you booked a 3 person room in the first place is because there were no 2 person rooms in that category, then you will be placed in a higher category. That isn't always a good thing if you chose your cabin for a specific reason. That being said, it is pretty rare for them to actually move you, but they have to tell you it is possible so you don't get angry if it happens.

The ticket contract is clear - a "comparable" room. For example, not all 4J cabins have the same obstructed view, but are comparable. They don't have to upgrade you. And if you are upgraded, the cabin you receive may not feel like an upgrade to you.

op, yes they can move you as explicated above.

in fact, sometimes they will not even let you book a room at less than capacity. they refer to these as 'capacity controlled' cruises - they will typically be during peak times, like holidays, spring break, or summer / high demand sailings.

your chance of being moved depends on that. you say your cruise is in november. if it's the first week of november it's probably not a big deal - but i it's the week of thanksgiving you would have a higher chance of being moved. it's all supply and demand.

I've had my fingers crossed since I booked my cruise last year. I booked a balcony that was a bowling alley on the Miracle that sleeps four but we are only two. We were not moved and the cruise now shows sold out for balcony rooms so I will guess we are good.

Carnival seems to push the occupancy of its ships to the limits. I have seen complaints on the Princess and HAL boards that people could not book a cabin with three passengers in it even though there were plenty of available cabins that had three or four berths.

Carnival seems to push the occupancy of its ships to the limits. I have seen complaints on the Princess and HAL boards that people could not book a cabin with three passengers in it even though there were plenty of available cabins that had three or four berths.

If not many solo passengers booking cabins, and others putting more than 2 in a cabin, I can see where sales would have to be limited.